Personal computing discussed

Moderators: Captain Ned, emkubed

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Re: DYMT: Imi's Legacy

Sat May 04, 2019 9:53 pm

I’ve seen some really great one based on the 18650’s with USB charging and everything. They’re just $80 8) I’ll take one for $30

JustAnEngineer
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Sat May 04, 2019 10:02 pm

Heh. I stuck one of these in my old Maglite and it's good to go for another couple of decades.
i7-9700K, NH-D15, Z390M Pro4, 32 GiB, RX Vega64, Define Mini-C, SSR-850PX, C32HG70+U2410, RK-9000BR, MX518

The Egg
Gold subscriber
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sat May 04, 2019 10:04 pm

FireGryphon wrote:
The world of flashlights is down a deep rabbit hole. Once you have flashlights that work reliably whenever you need them it’s hard to go back to the cheapo stuff that everyone else uses.

If you want to learn more, search for these websites (I won’t make it too easy by giving links; if you want to jump down the rabbit hole you’ll have to work for it.

Naa, I try to stay away from rabbit holes. :P I’m sure there’s good stuff if you’re willing to pay, but I was as much impressed by the $10 pricepoint as I was the performance.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Sun May 05, 2019 8:15 am

FireGryphon wrote:
The world of flashlights is down a deep rabbit hole. Once you have flashlights that work reliably whenever you need them it’s hard to go back to the cheapo stuff that everyone else uses.

If you want to learn more, search for these websites (I won’t make it too easy by giving links; if you want to jump down the rabbit hole you’ll have to work for it):

Prometheus Lights
Fenix Lights
Zebra Light
Eagle Tac
Candlepower Forums
Surefire (if you want your flashlights explosion proof)

Don’t say I didn’t warn you...

I've been quite impressed with this one (I own two of them). It can use either a standard AA (alkaline or rechargeable NiMH), or a rechargeable 14500 lithium cell for higher brightness (due to the higher voltage). Four brightness levels ranging from "moonlight" to "fry your eyeballs", and a seizure-inducing "strobe" mode.

JustAnEngineer wrote:
Heh. I stuck one of these in my old Maglite and it's good to go for another couple of decades.

I wish there was something similar for the Maglite Solitaire.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Sun May 05, 2019 8:37 am

https://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/ ... story.html

Holy effin' crap! Check out the security camera footage towards the bottom. Guesstimating from the delay between the flash and the sound, this was probably from 1/4 to 1/2 mile away.

Given the magnitude of the explosion and the fact that there were around a dozen people in the building at the time it is amazing that there wasn't greater loss of life.

FireGryphon
Gold subscriber
Darth Gerbil

Sun May 05, 2019 4:08 pm

just brew it! wrote:

Sounds like you could use a Fenix LD02, or maybe something else from the LD or E series.
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Sun May 05, 2019 4:35 pm

FireGryphon wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

Sounds like you could use a Fenix LD02, or maybe something else from the LD or E series.

I have an E01, and my main gripe with it is the light is too blue. I see some of the newer ones have high-CRI LEDs... hmm. :wink:

Just a little sad that my old Maglite Solitaire gets no love. If there was a reasonably priced LED conversion module available for it I'd probably do it.

FireGryphon
Gold subscriber
Darth Gerbil

Sun May 05, 2019 4:39 pm

Candlepower forums. There’s a person there who can mod almost anything.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Sun May 05, 2019 5:13 pm

Speaking of esoteric flashlights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBRUonZ_YI0

Skip forward to 3:35 if you want to go straight to the crazy part.

superjawes

Sun May 05, 2019 5:23 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Speaking of esoteric flashlights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBRUonZ_YI0

Skip forward to 3:35 if you want to go straight to the crazy part.

We didn't start the fire. Some crazy Russian with a flashlight did it!
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. Tis a silly place.

ludi
Gold subscriber
Lord High Gerbil

Sun May 05, 2019 6:43 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Just a little sad that my old Maglite Solitaire gets no love. If there was a reasonably priced LED conversion module available for it I'd probably do it.

Yeah, I have one of those I bought by mistake at some point. The incandescent Solitaire flashlight is $8. The cheapest conversion module on eBay is, like, $15. You can buy the LED version of the Solitaire for around $15. So then...
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Mon May 06, 2019 7:36 pm

Gotta love when an upgrade goes smoothly. Just upgraded the youngest daughter's system with more RAM, a beefier GPU, and a newer CPU. Existing config was an older system (AM3+ motherboard), Phenom II 955, 8GB (motley collection of 4 random mismatched 2GB DIMMs), and some POS old Nvidia card.

Use case is moderate gaming and graphic design.

The motherboard (M5A78L-M/USB3) is capable of taking FX CPUs, and I happened to have a spare FX-8320 on hand, along with a pair of matched 8GB DDR3 sticks. Purchased a low-profile GTX 1050 (system is in a low-profile Silverstone case, so limited choices here).

So the CPU's obviously still not current, but it's a substantial step up from what was in there before. Rest of the specs are now pretty decent.

The only hitch was that the new GPU was initially not sitting quite straight in the slot, which interfered with plugging the HDMI cable in fully. I thought the GPU was defective until I tried the DVI and DisplayPort connectors (which both worked), then closely examined how the HDMI cable was seating in the socket. Loosening the PCI bracket, straightening the card, and re-tightening the bracket fixed the issue with the HDMI port.

derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Mon May 06, 2019 8:06 pm

Sonic’s character model was awful. But I’m not sure how I feel about a change this late in the game with no delay. Artists doing insane overtime is all but a given.

https://twitter.com/fowltown/status/112 ... 44832?s=21

Also I concur with those who think Jim Carey as Robotnik is a good idea. Just turn his ass loose.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

superjawes

Mon May 06, 2019 9:04 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
Sonic’s character model was awful. But I’m not sure how I feel about a change this late in the game with no delay. Artists doing insane overtime is all but a given.

https://twitter.com/fowltown/status/112 ... 44832?s=21

Also I concur with those who think Jim Carey as Robotnik is a good idea. Just turn his ass loose.

1. Crunch like this is bad, so hopefully the animation studios doing the work are being well paid for it.

2. Who Framed Roger Rabbit? came out in 1988...I wish studios would look to that for inspiration. Just let Sonic be a cartoon and it would work. "Why does he look so strange?" "He's not from our dimension." Done.

3. I'm mixed on Jim Carey. He didn't grab me in that first scene. However, his look toward the end was good. I think I'd prefer a straight-laced, by-the-books Robotnik at the start of the film, with him slowly driven insane by the antics. Would work very well with Carey's range.

Regardless...I think this is a mess of a project. Even if it makes money from people watching the trainwreck, Sega weren't happy with Sonic's look, and I don't see this lasting more than a film (although they WILL tease Tails and/or Knuckles in this one).
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. Tis a silly place.

The Egg
Gold subscriber

Tue May 14, 2019 4:51 pm

Chrome (desktop Windows version 74.0.3729.157)

Google has seen fit to randomly remove the Layout (e.g., portrait/landscape) selection box from the print dialog page, based on some unknown and arbitrary qualifier in the type of page content (example: menards.com). You can see that the layout selection is there at first, and then quickly disappears, so I'm not sure if this is a bug or an intentional change.

Clearly intentional though, was their decision to hide the page selection box (example: 1-4,7). Whereas in the past you could simply type in the range, the user now needs to click a dropdown menu box and select "Custom" before the selection box becomes available. Additional steps and more wasted time, just for the sake of wasting time and making things more convoluted.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Wed May 15, 2019 6:22 am

I have always hated Chrome's print function. I always use ctrl-shift-p to use the regular OS function.

Chuckaluphagus
Silver subscriber
Gerbil Elite

Wed May 15, 2019 7:17 am

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
I have always hated Chrome's print function. I always use ctrl-shift-p to use the regular OS function.

Ooh, I didn't know about that. Thank you.

The Egg
Gold subscriber

Wed May 15, 2019 8:43 am

Usacomp2k3 wrote:

Yeah, but unfortunately that's a blind print with no preview option, so you can't see which pages you want, or whether scaling adjustments are needed.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Wed May 15, 2019 11:11 am

The Egg wrote:
Usacomp2k3 wrote:

Yeah, but unfortunately that's a blind print with no preview option, so you can't see which pages you want, or whether scaling adjustments are needed.

Correct. I don't print webpages all that often, usually just invoices for my expense reports, so it has tended to work well enough for that. Anything more complicated I tend to just take a screenshot and crop/modify as necessary in paint prior to printing.

derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Wed May 15, 2019 4:15 pm

You can kinda preview in Win10 by printing to PDF, and then sending that to the printer if needed. Other versions of Windows have PDF printers available, but being built into 10 is really nice.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

FireGryphon
Gold subscriber
Darth Gerbil

Wed May 15, 2019 7:57 pm

Check out this article about harmful blue light in LED bulbs. I remember a few years ago some guy on these forums was ripped several new ones for claiming something like this. Now it looks like France agrees, at least in principle :o

ludi
Gold subscriber
Lord High Gerbil

Thu May 16, 2019 2:41 am

FireGryphon wrote:
Check out this article about harmful blue light in LED bulbs. I remember a few years ago some guy on these forums was ripped several new ones for claiming something like this. Now it looks like France agrees, at least in principle :o

I saw that too, and what's suspicious is that I'm not seeing a reference to the source study to check its claims. Prolonged exposure to almost any excessively bright light source can cause the effects described. And they're recommending using warm-white biased light sources, as opposed to eliminating LED lighting, so they're not saying the technology itself is an unfixable problem (which is what the forum poster you're remembering, was basically claiming. Westom, I think it was).

IMO it's hard to tell if the French government is onto a new thread of research here, or just engaging in a francophone variation of Proposition 65.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

The Egg
Gold subscriber

Thu May 16, 2019 9:08 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
You can kinda preview in Win10 by printing to PDF, and then sending that to the printer if needed. Other versions of Windows have PDF printers available, but being built into 10 is really nice.

I'm sure there's a dozen different ways to do it, but its just the fact that they're adding steps and wasting the user's time. It's the desktop version, and there's an entire vertical column dedicated to print settings. In the default view at 1080p, that column is about 60% empty. Are we any better off now that it's 65% empty? Who was requesting that change?

Redocbew
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Jedi

Thu May 16, 2019 12:42 pm

The absence of green snot is a wonderful thing.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

MileageMayVary
Gerbil XP

Fri May 17, 2019 8:11 am

Redocbew wrote:

Just getting over one myself.
Main rig: Ryzen 1600, R9 290@1100MHz, 16GB@2933MHz, 1080-1440-1080 Ultrasharps.

Chuckaluphagus
Silver subscriber
Gerbil Elite

Fri May 17, 2019 10:22 am

MileageMayVary wrote:
Redocbew wrote:

I'm just a couple days into what promises to be an unpleasant cold. Head's stuffy, want to sleep all the time (and can't, because I have work and children). Drinking large quantities of hot "lemon goop" drink, which a relative introduced me to: it's effectively a lemon marmalade with some ginger and honey thrown in there as well, and you dissolve large spoonfuls of it in hot water (and I eat the lemon peel slices at the bottom of the mug at the end). Apparently a staple of Asian markets, I only found out about it last year.

MileageMayVary
Gerbil XP

Fri May 17, 2019 10:42 am

I took Wednesday off work to spend in a Nyquil induced coma. Seems to have largely worked.
Main rig: Ryzen 1600, R9 290@1100MHz, 16GB@2933MHz, 1080-1440-1080 Ultrasharps.

The Egg
Gold subscriber

Sat May 18, 2019 2:57 am

Does anyone else ever remember hearing robins going full-tilt at 2:30 in the morning? Because I sure don’t.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Sat May 18, 2019 10:19 am

MileageMayVary wrote:
Redocbew wrote:

I think we have some sort of connection. I was sick all last week. God knows what from tbh, I work from home and am very clean. Sometimes the body just does its thing, I guess.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

Redocbew
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Jedi

Sat May 18, 2019 10:38 am

Yeah, you'd think working at home would help with that, but it didn't seem to make any difference for me either. I had an out-of-nowhere sinus headache a few hours after I got back from seeing Endgame, and I've been a snot factory ever since. It's getting better, but I gotta say that decongestants post Breaking Bad just aren't the same.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.