Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

The Egg
Gold subscriber
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: DYMT: Imi's Legacy

Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:11 am

Boeing 737 MAX: New Issue Could Delay Aircraft's Return

"A source familiar with the situation told the BBC: ""During simulator testing last week at Boeing, FAA test pilots discovered an issue that affected their ability to quickly and easily follow the required recovery procedures for runaway stabilizer trim (ie, to stop stabilizers on the aircraft's tail moving uncontrollably). "The issue was traced to how data is being processed by the flight computer."
"Reuters, which first reported the new issue, said during an FAA pilot simulation in which the software was activated, it had taken longer than expected to recover the aircraft.
Other sources said the problem was linked to the aircraft's computing power and whether the processor possessed enough capacity to keep up."

Keeps getting worse for Boeing. Might be hardware in addition to software. Apparently it was already doubtful that they'd be flying again this year, but at this point we could be looking at mid-2020, or worse. I haven't done any research as far as Boeing's financial position, but I've heard that it costs a fortune for each day an aircraft is grounded, not to mention cancelled orders (and future orders which are never placed). Being their #1 selling aircraft by a longshot, you've got to wonder if this could put them on the ropes.

No worries though, all the executives will jump with their golden parachutes, and nothing of consequence will come to anyone that matters.

FireGryphon
Gold subscriber
Darth Gerbil

Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:33 am

The Egg wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
The Egg wrote:
It is indeed nasty, but it's a stupid childish prank. We all did plenty of dumb crap when we were kids. The police and media are going after her like she's public enemy number one. They're gonna slap a young person with a felony and years in prison?? Years?? Violent criminals who have actually hurt people get away with less. How about going after them with the same amount of vigor.

Not to mention that all the exposure is going to guarantee plenty of copycats. Expect more of this in the future.

She'll probably plead out to a misdemeanor and serve little or no time. In the meantime, the threat of a felony conviction and multiple years of incarceration ought to discourage at least some of the copycats. It had apparently already gone viral before it hit the national news, so the cat was already out of the bag, so to speak.

...and TBH if you're still pulling "stupid, childish pranks" like this as an adult, maybe you need to learn a lesson the hard way.

At a glance, l'd put her at 17-19. I was still doing plenty of stupid things at that point. I get that it had already gone viral, but the media seems to have really gone bonkers with it. A percentage of people aren't going to be deterred regardless of punishment. Even if that's a fraction of 1 percent, with such a high level of exposure, expect to see a surge of these incidents.

There’s stupid sh*t, and then there’s stupid sh*t that can hurt other people. If you’re doing the latter, whatever your age, there should be stiff consequences. She probably won’t get the max sentence that the article states, but the prospect will serve as a wake up call to her.

Copycats are another issue. Not sure what to say about that.

About the ice cream: doesn’t food either come with seals and such that you check before buying? I check every package seal in the store before I put it in my cart. Only exception is produce and eggs because it’s impossible, but those things get thoroughly washed before use anyway.
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III

FireGryphon
Gold subscriber
Darth Gerbil

Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:37 am

The Egg wrote:
Boeing 737 MAX: New Issue Could Delay Aircraft's Return

"A source familiar with the situation told the BBC: ""During simulator testing last week at Boeing, FAA test pilots discovered an issue that affected their ability to quickly and easily follow the required recovery procedures for runaway stabilizer trim (ie, to stop stabilizers on the aircraft's tail moving uncontrollably). "The issue was traced to how data is being processed by the flight computer."
"Reuters, which first reported the new issue, said during an FAA pilot simulation in which the software was activated, it had taken longer than expected to recover the aircraft.
Other sources said the problem was linked to the aircraft's computing power and whether the processor possessed enough capacity to keep up."

Keeps getting worse for Boeing. Might be hardware in addition to software. Apparently it was already doubtful that they'd be flying again this year, but at this point we could be looking at mid-2020, or worse. I haven't done any research as far as Boeing's financial position, but I've heard that it costs a fortune for each day an aircraft is grounded, not to mention cancelled orders (and future orders which are never placed). Being their #1 selling aircraft by a longshot, you've got to wonder if this could put them on the ropes.

No worries though, all the executives will jump with their golden parachutes, and nothing of consequence will come to anyone that matters.

Why is there always enough time to do it over but never enough time to do it right?

I’m a huge capitalist but lately I’ve been working on a theory: the compensation of the highest paid employee in a company should not exceed twice that of the lowest paid employee, including part timers and contractors. It’ll never happen this way, but it makes me happy to think about it.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:50 am

FireGryphon wrote:
I’m a huge capitalist but lately I’ve been working on a theory: the compensation of the highest paid employee in a company should not exceed twice that of the lowest paid employee, including part timers and contractors. It’ll never happen this way, but it makes me happy to think about it.

You're not a capitalist then.
the Egg wrote:

Definitely not good for Boeing.

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:34 am

Also Boeing have been found falsifying paper work:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/boeing ... -1.5193550

FireGryphon
Gold subscriber
Darth Gerbil

Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:50 am

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
FireGryphon wrote:

You're not a capitalist then.

I had two paragraphs written up and then I realized this is to R&P to continue. Close one :D

Glorious
Gold subscriber
Gerbilus Supremus

Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:13 am

FireGryphon wrote:
I had two paragraphs written up and then I realized this is to R&P to continue. Close on

I'm kind of bemused, because I have no idea how you'd get two paragraphs out of it. I mean, it isn't really R&P to simply note that your opinion contradicts your self-characterization, which is all USAcomp2k3 did.

Like, we don't need to argue over Capitalism/Communism to merely note that "paying everyone basically the same" isn't a remotely an example of the former, much less "hugely" so, right?

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:09 am

FireGryphon wrote:
There’s stupid sh*t, and then there’s stupid sh*t that can hurt other people. If you’re doing the latter, whatever your age, there should be stiff consequences. She probably won’t get the max sentence that the article states, but the prospect will serve as a wake up call to her.

Imagine a world with no hypothetical questions.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:28 pm

Don't turn on the blender with a plastic measuring spoon inside.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:02 pm

Someone i know pointed out that i really like going to the middle of nowhere, and i realized that's quite true. Anyway here's some middle of nowhere.

This is oregon nevada border highway 140 east west, but don't take this 6k elevation 200 mile road with no exits or facilities and cliff drop shoulders in anything approaching cold.

Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:08 pm

That is gorgeous. No load though? 200+ mile deadhead is a lot, isn’t it?

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:18 pm

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
That is gorgeous. No load though? 200+ mile deadhead is a lot, isn’t it?

That's pretty common with oversized loads. My trailer and heavy securement are too heavy to haul regular flatbed freight. My deadhead this time is 1400 miles minimum, but could be 1800 depending on what happens next week.
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:26 pm

Looks like my kind of place (the view, not driving that road).

When we used to do a lot of road trip camping vacations, one of my favorite places to stop was Badlands National Park, in South Dakota. The landscape is so alien, it feels kinda like you're camping on the moon.

JustAnEngineer
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:37 pm

I drove that road a long long time ago. Northwest from north of Winnemucca to Denio Junction was a whole lot of nothing. Definitely the most desolate stretch of highway that I've ever encountered. For one 150+ mile stretch in the middle of the day, I met a total of two cars and the road had only three curves.
Last edited by JustAnEngineer on Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
i7-9700K, NH-D15, Z390M Pro4, 32 GiB, RX Vega64, Define Mini-C, SSR-850PX, C32HG70+U2407, RK-9000BR, MX518

JustAnEngineer
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:03 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Of the things that you might blend, a plastic spoon seems like one of the least problematic.
i7-9700K, NH-D15, Z390M Pro4, 32 GiB, RX Vega64, Define Mini-C, SSR-850PX, C32HG70+U2407, RK-9000BR, MX518

MileageMayVary
Gerbil XP

Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:28 pm

just brew it! wrote:

Plot twist: the measuring spoon is fine and you need a new blender.
Main rig: Ryzen 1600, R9 290@1100MHz, 16GB@2933MHz, 1080-1440-1080 Ultrasharps.

The Egg
Gold subscriber

Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:00 pm

FireGryphon wrote:
Copycats are another issue. Not sure what to say about that.

Another Person Caught On Video Licking Blue Bell Ice Cream, Police Say

Didn’t take long.

Side note: I don’t want to get too tinfoil hat here, but does anyone else take slight pause in the fact that they never fail to mention the BRAND of ice cream?? Does the brand really matter? Why not just report that “ice cream” was licked, as any normal person would do?? (The answer to the first question is “No”; it’s totally meaningless in this case, aside from identifying the tampered carton.) Prior to this incident I’d never heard of Blue Bell, but what an amazing amount of exposure their name has gotten.

In case you can’t read between the lines with what I’m getting at......I wonder if these sorts of things are occasionally done at the direction of the “victim” themselves. They’re now a household name.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:06 pm

They already were a "household name" down in Texas, apparently. 4th best selling brand nationally according to Wikipedia.

derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:37 pm

just brew it! wrote:
The Egg wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/woman-who-licked-tub-of-ice-cream-faces-up-to-20-years-in-prison/

People are stupid and disgusting.

It is indeed nasty, but it's a stupid childish prank. We all did plenty of dumb crap when we were kids. The police and media are going after her like she's public enemy number one. They're gonna slap a young person with a felony and years in prison?? Years?? Violent criminals who have actually hurt people get away with less. How about going after them with the same amount of vigor.

Not to mention that all the exposure is going to guarantee plenty of copycats. Expect more of this in the future.

She'll probably plead out to a misdemeanor and serve little or no time. In the meantime, the threat of a felony conviction and multiple years of incarceration ought to discourage at least some of the copycats. It had apparently already gone viral before it hit the national news, so the cat was already out of the bag, so to speak.

...and TBH if you're still pulling "stupid, childish pranks" like this as an adult, maybe you need to learn a lesson the hard way.

But it's more than a stupid childish prank. Who knows what transitable diseases she has. I know I don't want to eat after my kid let alone some stranger
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:31 am

Looks like it is official now - IBM's deal to acquire Redhat has closed, after passing all of the regulatory and anti-trust hurdles.

TurtlePerson2
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:36 am

Bluebell is a household name in Texas. I'm from Michigan originally and wasn't familiar with the brand when I moved to Dallas, but it's huge here. I'm not sure if my wife (a native Texan) could name two other ice cream brands, she is completely insistent on Bluebell. It's a good product, but the thrifty side of me occasionally shudders at paying $7 for a half gallon (it must always be Bluebell, even when not on sale).

I don't think it's a Bluebell conspiracy to make people more aware of their product. They had a spell in the national news a few years ago where listeria outbreaks related to improper processing in their plants caused them to shutter production for a few months. There was much weeping in Texas, but when they returned and introduced a new flavor that combined cookies and cream and cookie dough, all was forgiven. I think that Bluebell doesn't want any more publicity related to health concerns and tampering.
"TORTURIS EXUVIAS EUNT"
Phenom X6 1090T @ 3.2 GHz
XFX Radeon RX 580

Redocbew
Gold subscriber

Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:44 pm

Apparently this made the rounds on social media recently, but since I'm a social media reject I missed it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Checker_shadow_illusion

It's weird. I had to bring the image into Gimp and use the color picker to help my brain verify it. :lol:
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:34 am

For today's "questions no one ever asked", ponder this:

Can the Apollo Guidance Computer (yes, the one that flew 50 years ago) mine bitcoin? Well, it can, but poorly, with each hash computation taking 10 seconds.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/201 ... e-bitcoin/

The Egg
Gold subscriber

Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:42 am

Captain Ned wrote:

Can the Apollo Guidance Computer (yes, the one that flew 50 years ago) mine bitcoin? Well, it can, but poorly, with each hash computation taking 10 seconds.

I saw that earlier. It went from doing arguably the most important computing task so far in the history of humanity, to perhaps the most useless/wasteful one. Heavy irony.

I'd like to hear Bender yell about how it's a disgrace to its circuits.

superjawes

Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:48 am

The Egg wrote:
Captain Ned wrote:

I saw that earlier. It went from doing arguably the most important computing task so far in the history of humanity, to perhaps the most useless/wasteful one. Heavy irony.

No, Bender would not yell that it's a disgrace to its circuits. Bender would be all about mining bitcoin, duping unsuspecting victims, and making black market purchases with it, all at the same time. He'd exploit every computer he could in the effort :lol:
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. Tis a silly place.

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:53 am

superjawes wrote:
No, Bender would not yell that it's a disgrace to its circuits. Bender would be all about mining bitcoin, duping unsuspecting victims, and making black market purchases with it, all at the same time. He'd exploit every computer he could in the effort :lol:

Bite my shiny metal ass.

The Egg
Gold subscriber

Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:45 am

superjawes wrote:
The Egg wrote:
Captain Ned wrote:

Well, he'd probably yell and be vehemently against it at first.......right up until the moment he found out about using Bitcoin to do all that nefarious stuff. Then he'd immediately change his mind.

ludi
Gold subscriber
Lord High Gerbil

Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:19 am

The Egg wrote:

Eh, at least it gets to do something. Sounded like the real challenge was completely reworking to algorithm to run on hardware with fewer computing resources than a pocket calculator.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:17 pm

superjawes is right. BTC is right up Bender's alley.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:49 am

How long do you think it would take someone to notice if I mixed flavored drinks in a carbon filtered water bottle? These are the questions I ponder while working.
When drunk.....