Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Re: DYMT: Imi's Legacy

Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:06 am

Every so often, you run across something in the Linux documentation which makes you chuckle. Today's find (from the bash shell documentation):
bell-style (audible)

Controls what happens when readline wants to ring the terminal
bell. If set to none, readline never rings the bell. If set to
visible, readline uses a visible bell if one is available. If
set to audible, readline attempts to ring the terminal's bell.

I don't think I've seen a terminal with an actual bell you could ring since the Teletype days; but the original UNIX terminology lives on! :D

Now I have this strange urge to design a device which will ring a bell whenever the PC's speaker beeps. Do you think there would be a market for such a device? :lol:
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:15 am

ASCII 7
Imagine a world with no hypothetical questions.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:32 am

...and sending multiple back-to-back form-feed (ASCII 12) characters to a high speed line printer could cause it to shoot an arc of fanfold paper through the air.

I also remember back in the Teletype days you needed to send several (IIRC 3 of them) NUL characters (ASCII 0) after a carriage-return/line-feed combination, otherwise the first couple of characters intended for the next line would get smeared across the page because the physical carriage was still "returning".

Edit: Ahh, I see that the Linux stty command still allows the configuring of "pad" characters to insert delays following carriage/paper movement!

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:45 am

just brew it! wrote:
I also remember back in the Teletype days you needed to send several (IIRC 3 of them) NUL characters (ASCII 0) after a carriage-return/line-feed combination, otherwise the first couple of characters intended for the next line would get smeared across the page because the physical carriage was still "returning".

My circa 1980 high school computer programming assignments were handed in on Teletype punch tape from an ASR-33 hanging off a PDP-8e.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:01 am

Captain Ned wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

My circa 1980 high school computer programming assignments were handed in on Teletype punch tape from an ASR-33 hanging off a PDP-8e.

Nice! Mine were handed in on a punch card deck. I've used ASR-33 tape reader/punch devices too though.

The first paper tape reader I used which was designed to interface with a PC was an optical reader with manual feed (you pulled the tape through by hand), and a desk lamp as the light source. There was an art to figuring out how close to put the desk lamp to get an error-free read, since the optimum distance was very sensitive to the opacity of the specific paper tape used. The common buff colored tapes were pretty bad, and commercial PC software vendors of the time who were distributing on paper tape switched to dark red or black tape to make things easier for the people who had the optical readers.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:11 am

In my monthly accident research I'm finding countless videos on live leak of products being tainted and put back on the shelf since the ice cream thing. It's pretty much everything though, not just iced cream.
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

The Egg
Gold subscriber
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:44 am

Heiwashin wrote:
In my monthly accident research I'm finding countless videos on live leak of products being tainted and put back on the shelf since the ice cream thing. It's pretty much everything though, not just iced cream.

Yep. Like I was saying earlier, regardless of how hard they crack down, if 0.00017% of people are complete morons without any regard for consequences, that's still a very large number. And unfortunately the percentage is significantly higher than that.

The Egg
Gold subscriber

Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:50 am

Gotta love when you're setting up W10 Pro on a new business machine, and it starts frantically spamming the Start menu with a bunch of Candy Crush/Bubble Witch kids games. Real professional.

The Egg
Gold subscriber

Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:51 pm

In related news though, police located the original suspect, and she indeed turned out to be a juvenile. Gross as it was, I'm glad they're not going to ruin her life over it.

Redocbew
Gold subscriber

Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:55 pm

I'll take that case. Looks like the culprit has already been put away.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

ludi
Gold subscriber
Lord High Gerbil

Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:21 pm

Redocbew wrote:
I'll take that case. Looks like the culprit has already been put away.

I expect a lifetime of community service, based around restitution of the damaged goods.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Redocbew
Gold subscriber

Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:55 pm

Still feels weird sometimes to spend all day writing test code instead application code, but it's usually worth it.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:20 am

Redocbew wrote:
Still feels weird sometimes to spend all day writing test code instead application code, but it's usually worth it.

I suspect a fairly long stretch of this is in my future as well; the tests for the subsystem I currently help maintain could stand some improvement - can't they always? - and it's on our "todo" list. Hey, it beats spending all day triaging Jira tickets (and over the long run should help prevent future days like *that*).

Redocbew
Gold subscriber

Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:36 am

Yeah, that sounds about right. I've got a project involving a SQL Server install which is outside of my control, and showing some extraordinarily bad and wrong behavior. My evil plan is to set up some automated testing so that dealing with it becomes just as annoying for them as it has been for me. :P

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:44 am

Ahh, yes... the old "make it someone else's problem" trick! :wink:

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:29 am

just brew it! wrote:
Ahh, yes... the old "make it someone else's problem" trick! :wink:

Yeah, but you can run an SEP field for 100 years on a 9V battery.

Redocbew
Gold subscriber

Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:35 pm

Gearbox email wrote:
Behold: Check Out the Latest Borderlands3 Trailer!

Chrome wrote:
Too many requests

Nice.

Redocbew
Gold subscriber

Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:34 pm

For anyone who's into knitting, metal, and sumo wrestlers I'm just going to leave this here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvQutLR ... ture=share

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:17 pm

Just got back from a 48 hour stint in Gainesville. Not exactly enjoyable. My wife’s best friend (since kindergarten) lost their oldest child. Even though the condition was known to be terminal from birth, we’ve loved having Jules around for 13 years. There’s a time for grieving and then creating the new normal; you never move on. I’m just glad we were able to be there for support. No parent should ever have to bury their child.

Not tech related but I just had to get that off my chest. I lost my grandpa last year but this one hit closer.

superjawes

Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:59 pm

I had my first (probably last) experience at Native Grill & Wings this weekend. Was super disappointed in the food (and service). I bring this up because I had to satisfy my hot wing craving by making my own. I used a steam first, bake later method (a la Good Eats), that I can wholly recommend. Minimal effort and zero frying that still resulted in crispy-skinned wings.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. Tis a silly place.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:36 pm

That's how we do it. From frozen into the instapot for ~20 minutes with some chicken stock and then topped off in oven broiler to crisp up. Delicious.

derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:38 pm

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
That's how we do it. From frozen into the instapot for ~20 minutes with some chicken stock and then topped off in oven broiler to crisp up. Delicious.

That's genius. Gonna have to try this.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

farmpuma
Gold subscriber
Location: Soybean field, IN, USA, Earth .. just a bit south of John .. err .... Fart Wayne, Indiana

Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:52 am

clango@dieselsweeties.com wrote:

"Some days you eat the bear, some days the bear convinces you to invest in its new pea-protein based vegan Bear Substitute and you make millions together.

And then you and the bear fall in love, move to the mountains, and after decades as a supportive couple, the bear eats you.

The end."
[img]http://[/img] Image
.* * M-51 * *. .The Whirlpool Galaxy. .TV muted, X dual flying birds & a mantra, "Specter be Gone"

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:55 pm

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe.
Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion.
I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.
Time to die.

Rutger Hauer, 75. RIP

Redocbew
Gold subscriber

Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:56 pm

I like nginx as a server and reverse proxy, but it's got some weird error messages when the problem is just a missing semi-colon.

Edit: This is a bit strange also...

location / {
    resolver 127.0.0.11 ipv6=off;
    proxy_pass http://gunicorn:5000;   
}

Does not work. Nginx spits out a "host not found in upstream" error which actually makes sense if dockers internal DNS(always at 127.0.0.11) can't find it. However, if I use the "set" directive to store "gunicorn:5000" in a variable and reference that, then it does. Not sure if I should blame nginx or docker about that. I think I just found one of those little creativities JBI mentioned in the thread about race conditions. :lol:

MileageMayVary
Gerbil XP

Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:35 pm

Redocbew wrote:
For anyone who's into knitting, metal, and sumo wrestlers I'm just going to leave this here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvQutLR ... ture=share

What the hell did I just watch?!
Main rig: Ryzen 1600, R9 290@1100MHz, 16GB@2933MHz, 1080-1440-1080 Ultrasharps.

The Egg
Gold subscriber

Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:40 am

My little Asus X205TA Bay Trail netbook randomly got a BIOS update last month.......4 years after the previous update. Not that I'm complaining, just seems a little odd. I'm guessing it was a security issue?

Chuckaluphagus
Gerbil Elite

Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:39 am

The Egg wrote:
My little Asus X205TA Bay Trail netbook randomly got a BIOS update last month.......4 years after the previous update. Not that I'm complaining, just seems a little odd. I'm guessing it was a security issue?

Huh. I think my mom still has one of those. She lives off in the boonies without Internet access, so I'll ask her to bring it next time she comes to visit so we can get the update. Thanks.

The Egg
Gold subscriber

Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:18 am

Chuckaluphagus wrote:
The Egg wrote:

Huh. I think my mom still has one of those. She lives off in the boonies without Internet access, so I'll ask her to bring it next time she comes to visit so we can get the update. Thanks.

It does surprisingly well with W10 1903 all things considered. My only concern is the NAND endurance of the little 32GB eMMC, being that it's soldered-on with no other storage options (beyond USB 2.0).

Note that they have two different BIOS options. Mine used 213 rather than the 203 which is at the top. They're not very clear about the differentiation, so I checked by looking at my currently running BIOS, which was 212.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:33 pm

https://twitter.com/youtube/status/1156 ... 75457?s=21

We're deeply saddened to learn of the tragic loss of Grant Thompson, a gifted, passionate and endlessly curious creator. We send our deepest condolences to his loving family, The King of Random team and fans.

RIP.