Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

The Egg
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: DYMT: Imi's Legacy

Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:09 am

Why does the Chicago media insist on using stupid play pretend pet names that constantly change for the expressways? “Blah blah blah Bishop Ford, blah blah outbound on the Jane Adams...”. Whenever I make the mistake of listening to traditional media for info, I always have to do a conversion in my head, and then wonder if it’s right. Oftentimes I can’t do the conversion fast enough, and so a good chunk of the traffic report blows past me and ends up being useless.

There’s multiple reasons the expressways use a numbering system. Chief among them, is that it’s easier and less confusing. All the signs use numbers. All the maps use numbers. Just say the damn numbers.

/rant

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:48 pm

Casey's pizza is extremely underrated (not in my house, ofc, just in general)
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:15 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
Casey's pizza is extremely underrated (not in my house, ofc, just in general)

I hear you man. It's my prefered pizza on the road.
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:18 pm

The Egg wrote:
Why does the Chicago media insist on using stupid play pretend pet names that constantly change for the expressways? “Blah blah blah Bishop Ford, blah blah outbound on the Jane Adams...”. Whenever I make the mistake of listening to traditional media for info, I always have to do a conversion in my head, and then wonder if it’s right. Oftentimes I can’t do the conversion fast enough, and so a good chunk of the traffic report blows past me and ends up being useless.

There’s multiple reasons the expressways use a numbering system. Chief among them, is that it’s easier and less confusing. All the signs use numbers. All the maps use numbers. Just say the damn numbers.

/rant

I got tired of having these kindof thoughts and it's why i carefully curate the amount of annoying **** i tolerate. If you want an amazing real time traffic report, just hit google maps traffic view. It uses drivers gps to give you real time info, i use it to avoid serious backups all the time, including a 12 mile backup which i casually blew by on an alternate route.
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

The Egg

Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:19 pm

Heiwashin wrote:
I got tired of having these kindof thoughts and it's why i carefully curate the amount of annoying **** i tolerate. If you want an amazing real time traffic report, just hit google maps traffic view. It uses drivers gps to give you real time info, i use it to avoid serious backups all the time, including a 12 mile backup which i casually blew by on an alternate route.

That's all I use these days as well. In this particular case, I was reading about people dying in fiery wrecks on a local-news website. It mentioned "Bishop-Ford", and I incorrectly assumed it was I-57, when it's actually 94 east (south) of where the two merge. Not only do the names randomly change, but they also only refer to certain legs of the expressways, not even the whole dang thing! No idea why someone would want to use such a stupid and confusing system.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:02 am

The Egg wrote:
Heiwashin wrote:

That's all I use these days as well. In this particular case, I was reading about people dying in fiery wrecks on a local-news website. It mentioned "Bishop-Ford", and I incorrectly assumed it was I-57, when it's actually 94 east (south) of where the two merge. Not only do the names randomly change, but they also only refer to certain legs of the expressways, not even the whole dang thing! No idea why someone would want to use such a stupid and confusing system.

Even as someone who has lived in the area my entire life it can be confusing at times. If something has been renamed in the past ~15 years or so I still need to do a mental translation. (Bishop Ford being one of those.)

There's a big highway interchange downtown where interstates 90, 94, and 290 all converge. Most of my life, this was known as "The Circle Interchange", or (less formally) "The Spaghetti Bowl". Suddenly, a few years ago the traffic reports started referring to it as the "Jane Byrne Interchange". WTF? I guess there's something fitting about naming an interchange which was once ranked third worst in the nation for traffic jams after a local politician though.

I also have to wonder how Ronald Reagan would feel about having a toll road named after him.

Speaking of tollways, the Chicago area is also notorious for having many sections of interstate which are toll roads. They've also started making new interchanges REQUIRE you to have a compatible e-toll transponder (no attendant or automated mechanism for accepting cash/coins). Even at toll booths where cash is accepted, they charge you double if you don't use an e-toll transponder. This has to be absolutely infuriating for infrequent visitors from out-of-state, and people who balk at the initial deposit to get a transponder.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Chuckaluphagus
Gerbil Elite

Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:20 am

just brew it! wrote:
Speaking of tollways, the Chicago area is also notorious for having many sections of interstate which are toll roads. They've also started making new interchanges REQUIRE you to have a compatible e-toll transponder (no attendant or automated mechanism for accepting cash/coins). Even at toll booths where cash is accepted, they charge you double if you don't use an e-toll transponder. This has to be absolutely infuriating for infrequent visitors from out-of-state, and people who balk at the initial deposit to get a transponder.

It's that way in Massachusetts as well: there are no toll booths on I-90 anymore, just scanners and cameras. If you don't have a transponder, they photograph your plate, mail you a bill and the charge is double the transponder fee.

I'm kind of surprised that there's a deposit to get a transponder, though - here, you get one for free when you sign up.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:34 am

Chuckaluphagus wrote:
I'm kind of surprised that there's a deposit to get a transponder, though - here, you get one for free when you sign up.

EzPass is no-deposit as well, though there's a $1/mo fee for units issued by NJ regardless of usage.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:03 am

Weird that transponders are still a thing. In the A-T-L the toll roads errr fast lanes are all manged by RFID stickers. Which are free when you sign up you just need a corresponding Credit card on file so they can bill you.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

Chuckaluphagus
Gerbil Elite

Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:07 am

tanker27 wrote:
Weird that transponders are still a thing. In the A-T-L the toll roads errr fast lanes are all manged by RFID stickers. Which are free when you sign up you just need a corresponding Credit card on file so they can bill you.

I've seen those RFID stickers in other states when traveling. I think the transponder infrastructure here in the Northeast started being implemented about thirty years ago, and it's easier to go with a known working solution than revise it.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:28 am

E-ZPass rolled out in August 1993.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:07 am

Are there any speed or range restrictions on the RFID tag readers? One of the advantages of the current EZ-Pass implementation (used in Denver) is that the reader hardware can grab the transponder at highway speeds with plenty of clearance.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:29 am

The's one's in Orlando can read the stickers up to 120mph I think is what the tested them at. Let me see if I can find the link.

MileageMayVary
Gerbil XP

Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:30 am

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
The's one's in Orlando can read the stickers up to 120mph I think is what the tested them at. Let me see if I can find the link.

I think you should test this personally!

("But officer, I was doing Science!")
Main rig: Ryzen 3600X, R9 290@1100MHz, 16GB@2933MHz, 1080-1440-1080 Ultrasharps.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:47 am

MileageMayVary wrote:
I think you should test this personally!

("But officer, I was doing Science!")

The state will always get its tolls from Florida Man. :D

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:40 pm

ludi wrote:
Are there any speed or range restrictions on the RFID tag readers? One of the advantages of the current EZ-Pass implementation (used in Denver) is that the reader hardware can grab the transponder at highway speeds with plenty of clearance.

I don't seem to have issues going 70-80 :P
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:53 pm

tanker27 wrote:

Have you ever driven the Garden State Parkway?

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:01 pm

No I dont get up in the NE much.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:56 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
tanker27 wrote:

Have you ever driven the Garden State Parkway?

I'm gonna be making a rare pass through vermont and new hampshire this week. :wink: Springfield vt and then haverhill, new hampshire
When drunk.....

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:59 pm

Heiwashin wrote:
I'm gonna be making a rare pass through vermont and new hampshire this week. :wink: Springfield vt and then haverhill, new hampshire

Figures. This is the weekend I drive to Michigan for BBQ.

The Egg

Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:49 am

Anandtech - The ASUS Pro WS X570-Ace Review: x8x8x8 with No RGB

The picture for this review actually jumped out at me because of HOW NICE IT IS to see an actual professional-looking motherboard. No stupid shrouds or BS, just business. Starting to really despise shrouds.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:54 pm

Yeah, man. That is a sexy beast. While I've gone through my own kinda RGB phase over the last few months, I can still appreciate minimalist appearance with a maximal feature set.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:56 pm

Too bad it needs a chipset fan. I guess that comes with the X570 territory. I think I'll wait until the next chipset iteration which hopefully lowers the power consumption enough to ditch the fan.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

The Egg

Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:10 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Too bad it needs a chipset fan. I guess that comes with the X570 territory. I think I'll wait until the next chipset iteration which hopefully lowers the power consumption enough to ditch the fan.

Yeah....there's that unfortunate part. On the bright side though, the X570 chipset was designed directly by AMD, not Asmedia.

MileageMayVary
Gerbil XP

Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:50 pm

Going to be in Seattle next week, near the Washington State Convention Center.

Anything I really need to see or any place I really need to eat while I'm out there?
Main rig: Ryzen 3600X, R9 290@1100MHz, 16GB@2933MHz, 1080-1440-1080 Ultrasharps.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:07 pm

I recommend the Seattle Underground tour. The Chihuly Museum of Glass was mildly interesting when I visited it decades ago.
1: i7-9700K, NH-D15, Z390M Pro4, 32GiB, RX Vega64, ½TB 960Pro +2TB MX500, Define Mini-C, SSR-850PX, LG 32UD99 + UltraSharp U2410, RK9000V2-BR
2: R5-3600X, Wraith Spire, B450M Steel Legend, 32GiB, RX5500XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, P160, SS-660XP2, TV, G610

Redocbew

Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:39 am

After seeing Google's homepage I want nachos.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

Xolore
Gerbil

Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:03 pm

I saw your comment, looked at the doodle and agreed. The powers that be at my work just got us lunch today and it was basically nachos. Complete coincidence, but funny and delicious!

Redocbew

Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:11 pm

PSA: For anyone who might need it and somehow hasn't heard of Postman: go get it. :P

https://www.getpostman.com/
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:23 pm

Ah, Saturday at Costco, where English is clearly the #2 language behind Quebecois.