Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Re: DYMT: Imi's Legacy

Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:12 pm

My Blu-ray disc player has an Ethernet cable connected so that it can keep itself updated for the latest DRM. My recent frustration along these lines came this summer, when Comcast and TiVo failed to work out an agreement to keep XFinity OnDemand working on TiVo devices. The previous integration worked well.
1: i7-9700K, NH-D15, Z390M Pro4, 32GiB, RX Vega64, ½TB 960Pro +2TB MX500, Define Mini-C, SSR-850PX, LG 32UD99 + UltraSharp U2410, RK9000V2-BR
2: R5-3600X, Wraith Spire, B450M Steel Legend, 32GiB, RX5500XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, P160, SS-660XP2, TV, G610

Redocbew
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:43 pm

Mine has one of those also. I stream a lot more content than I play from discs, but I have yet to find a disc which can't be played even though I'd never plugged it into the network.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

Igor_Kavinski

Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:55 pm

Zombie Driver HD currently free on Steam.

Redocbew

Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:45 pm

FLASH FLOOD WATCH!

WIND ADVISORY!

:roll:

I guess they're worried about the burn area to the north of here allowing for more of the rain water to runoff and collect than usual, but I can't help but think that a little rain and a little wind for a few days isn't really a thing.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

The Egg

Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:57 am

Redocbew wrote:
FLASH FLOOD WATCH!

WIND ADVISORY!

:roll:

I guess they're worried about the burn area to the north of here allowing for more of the rain water to runoff and collect than usual, but I can't help but think that a little rain and a little wind for a few days isn't really a thing.

Weather outlets have progressed to full-on sensationalism and fearmongering over the past handful of years. Every thunderstorm is the coming of the apocalypse, blizzard blizzard, run for your lives. When the Weather Channel started playing alarmclock buzzers at full volume every 30 seconds, I was done. We should all rock back and forth in the corner weeping, and muttering weather buzzwords to ourselves.

farmpuma
Location: Soybean field, IN, USA, Earth .. just a bit south of John .. err .... Fart Wayne, Indiana

Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:44 am

This morning I saw an episode of Have Gun Will Travel written by Gene Roddenberry. Still not sure what to make of it, but I now want to buy the boxed set if it exists.
[img]http://[/img] Image
.* * M-51 * *. .The Whirlpool Galaxy. .TV muted, X dual flying birds & a mantra, "Specter be Gone"

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:07 pm

farmpuma wrote:
This morning I saw an episode of Have Gun Will Travel written by Gene Roddenberry. Still not sure what to make of it, but I now want to buy the boxed set if it exists.

https://www.amazon.com/Have-Gun-Will-Tr ... B01C6S1ZU2

Star Trek was pitched as "Wagon Train in Space".
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

anotherengineer
Gerbil Jedi

Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:12 pm

I was wondering where Jonny Guru ended up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJ_VV3UjEBY
Life doesn't change after marriage, it changes after children!

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:04 pm

superjawes wrote:
"Hey! You're buying a new TV. Why not add on a sound bar for better audio! While you're at it, add this whatzawhozit to get access to Netflix, Youtube, and more! Plus, it mounts on the back of the display!"

Easiest sale in the world...

Problem with that, is TVs are almost completely commoditized. I ventured out to Best Buy on Black Friday solely for the spectacle, and found the floor covered with literal piles of cheap TVs from all the major names and a few I've never heard of. They even had a couple entry-level 4K units in the 50" range for under $300. If you want to differentiate your model, embedded "smart" gee-gaws are the only option.

Tangential Note: my Sega Genesis Mini arrived from Amazon sometime Sunday afternoon. Pretty sweet setup, the controllers are nearly full-sized but USB, and the miniaturized Reset button on the console brings up an emulation control menu that includes a Save State menu. Only complaints on the game bundle is that it includes Streets of Rage 2 when '3' was a better experience IMO, and I would have enjoyed seeing the original Revenge of Shinobi included. Seems like they also missed an add-on sale opportunity by making the cartridge slot purely cosmetic. Would have been a great way of buying and playing additional game bundles.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:56 pm

ludi wrote:
Streets of Rage 2 when '3' was a better experience IMO

WTF is wrong with you???? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:59 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
ludi wrote:
Streets of Rage 2 when '3' was a better experience IMO

WTF is wrong with you???? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I just like SoR3 better. Better music, better range of villains, a bit more polish on the character sprites, and the player(s) can run as well as walk.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:07 pm

Went 0 for 2 on tech purchases this week. The first was a PNY high-speed 128GB flash drive on sale at Office Depot. Kept disconnecting from the host system during file copy operations. Ended up returning that one and going for a 64GB SanDisk Ultra instead.

The second was that $25 Faux-Pro "HD WiFi action camera" that Home Depot gets in stock every Christmas. I didn't expect much for $25, but somehow, it was even worse. The only positive things that can be said about it is that the rear LCD display is bright, the UI is snappy, and the settings are easy to configure. Unfortunately, that amounts to using silk gloves and a gold-plated shovel to clean the stalls:

- Advertises 1080P video recording, but carefully avoids any mention of audio capabilities. Because it has none.
- Records in an AVI container, and if you try to actually access those files via computer instead of just streaming direct to your mobile device, they have compatibility problems with any native Windows app. Had to use VLC to even view them.
- Video quality is horrific even in bright light: bad focus from the fixed lens, terrible color rendition, and the output is littered with sensor and/or compression artifacts.
- File transfer speed over USB is around 2.4 MB/s...in 2019.

I ended up returning that one. Was hoping that it would be "good enough" to use as a high-risk shop camera (i.e. when painting or some such) but it wasn't even good enough for that.

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:14 pm

A little surprised the PNY was that bad. While I wouldn't consider them to be a premium brand, they're generally "good enough".
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:02 pm

just brew it! wrote:
A little surprised the PNY was that bad. While I wouldn't consider them to be a premium brand, they're generally "good enough".

Yeah, not sure what to make of that. May have just been a defective controller overheating after sustained use. In any case, I've generally had good performance from SanDisk products so the replacement is likely a better long-term investment.

Igor_Kavinski

Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:57 am

ludi wrote:
May have just been a defective controller overheating after sustained use. In any case, I've generally had good performance from SanDisk products so the replacement is likely a better long-term investment.

I had a Sandisk 32GB OTG drive fail on first use because of that. Copied 25GB of movies on it and then it locked itself up to "prevent further damage" and became read-only. Had I known it would become a damn miniature CD, I would have copied more useful data on it. Thermal throttling on these things is probably non-existent or it would not have met that fate.

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:22 am

Igor_Kavinski wrote:
ludi wrote:
May have just been a defective controller overheating after sustained use. In any case, I've generally had good performance from SanDisk products so the replacement is likely a better long-term investment.

I had a Sandisk 32GB OTG drive fail on first use because of that. Copied 25GB of movies on it and then it locked itself up to "prevent further damage" and became read-only. Had I known it would become a damn miniature CD, I would have copied more useful data on it. Thermal throttling on these things is probably non-existent or it would not have met that fate.

Just out of curiosity, how did you know that the issue was due to overheating, and that the lockup was an explicit safety measure (and not just the device failing)?

Igor_Kavinski

Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:48 am

just brew it! wrote:
Just out of curiosity, how did you know that the issue was due to overheating, and that the lockup was an explicit safety measure (and not just the device failing)?

https://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/deta ... ash-drives

This was the first time I touched a USB connector that was as hot as a press iron.

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:01 am

Igor_Kavinski wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

This was the first time I touched a USB connector that was as hot as a press iron.

For it to get that hot there was probably some other pre-existing defect. But yeah, whatever the cause of the overheating, it's plausible that this led to the write protection.

Igor_Kavinski

Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:09 am

just brew it! wrote:
Igor_Kavinski wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

For it to get that hot there was probably some other pre-existing defect. But yeah, whatever the cause of the overheating, it's plausible that this led to the write protection.

Funny. Guess what?

https://wccftech.com/microsd-melts-nintendo-switch/

Looks like mine wasn't an isolated incident. I have always bought Sandisk with trepidation ever since my 4GB Sandisk Cruzer Titanium lost my data way back in 2008-2009. I guess the low price keeps getting the better of me. I'm currently enjoying their 128GB USB 2.0 flash drives. Hope they last beyond my lifetime :)

Jigar
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:23 am

The Inquirer met its fate, really really sad to see all my favorite sites going off line. :cry:

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:13 am

Oh man. Another one bites it. Been a hot second since I've read the Inquirer, but it's unfortunate to see another long-running site die out.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:47 pm

Flickr must be feeling the pinch as well. Their owners (SmugMug) are sending out emails to all members urging more to subscribe to the Pro tier, noting that the site has been losing money for years, that SmugMug bought it knowing it would probably never make money, but emphasizing that it's still losing money and needs more member investments.

Redocbew

Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:42 am

I keep thinking the same thing when seeing the "we do free" ads from Vudu. They're not really an old timer, but with all of the web based service providers ditching the free tier or imploding altogether it does make you wonder what they're thinking.

Igor_Kavinski

Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:09 pm

https://bigthink.com/strange-maps/climate-change

Guess filthy doesn't just describe how rich these people are.

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:57 pm

Igor_Kavinski wrote:
https://bigthink.com/strange-maps/climate-change

Guess filthy doesn't just describe how rich these people are.

Any further discussion of this topic probably belongs in R&P...

Redocbew

Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:24 am

I know there's a few other gerbils who read Ars still, and might have seen this already, but I thought it was amusing.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019/12/ ... ot-vacuum/

Redocbew

Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:04 pm

xkcd is awesome, as usual.

https://xkcd.com/

Igor_Kavinski

Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:06 am

Someone is likely working on a movie script as you read this: https://arstechnica.com/cars/2020/01/ex ... ts-pilots/

Igor_Kavinski

Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:43 am

Igor_Kavinski

Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:39 pm