Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Re: DYMT: Imi's Legacy

Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:24 am

I think they're trying to push you into good dieting for sure. Before I went to a doctor, which was longer than it should have been, I ate nothing but canned chicken and salmon, whey, and got my sugar to 85. My a1c still reflected the previous months and it was something absurd like 11. They slapped me right on metformin and I can eat whatever I want. I had one of those sweet ice cream like coffee shop drinks as my breakfast. I like to think of metformin as a quality of life tool, I'm still cautious but it's a hell of a lot easier to keep things under control. My last a1c was low 6 but I don't remember the exact number. I think anything under 7 is considered "under control".
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:37 am

My dad is on metformin. I don't want to take pills or record my blood sugar. I want to just be normal and healthy. Normal is out of the question but healthy, I guess that's a possibility. I'd rather keep it under control in my diet if I can get to that point.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:46 am

Well the worse case is you can't eat any form of sugar except maybe 15 or 20 grams a day. That's about where I was and it sucked. I had to fill my calories with shots of various oils. I don't check my sugar anymore though, don't need to. Maybe once a month I'll check in after something that should cause a high and see what happens. A little earlier I checked it and got 87 a few hours after my sweet treat breakfast. That's why I just think if it as a quality of life thing. I could control my sugar without it, I did and it was fine, but drinking oil for 70+% of calories gets old.
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:00 pm

Being on the road like you are all the time has to make it hard to eat. At home where I work I have a bit more freedom available to eat real food. So what's my excuse? :lol:
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:39 pm

My excuse is I work with a guy who always wants to go out for burgers or pizza for lunch. I keep meaning to start packing a lunch more frequently, but that takes actual planning and effort. :lol:
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Redocbew
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:51 pm

Netflix sends me an email saying they've just added a movie I might like and it's called: The Matrix. :P
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:05 am

I love the way shipping companies work. Especially FedEx. Nobody else can ship a package from St. Louis to Peoria (roughly 3 hours by car) in four days. But Fed Ex can do it.

Everyone else can do it in 24 hours.

screenshot from their hilarious website: https://twitter.com/TVsBen/status/892762120470896640

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:08 am

just brew it! wrote:
My excuse is I work with a guy who always wants to go out for burgers or pizza for lunch. I keep meaning to start packing a lunch more frequently, but that takes actual planning and effort. :lol:

I work from home. The only guy in my office who wants to go out for lunch is this guy Ben who is too f***ing lazy to make a sandwich. :lol:

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:45 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
I love the way shipping companies work. Especially FedEx. Nobody else can ship a package from St. Louis to Peoria (roughly 3 hours by car) in four days. But Fed Ex can do it.

screenshot from their hilarious website: https://twitter.com/TVsBen/status/892762120470896640

When I worked at Fermilab, it took a week to overnight a package. Seriously.

derFunkenstein wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

I work from home. The only guy in my office who wants to go out for lunch is this guy Ben who is too f***ing lazy to make a sandwich. :lol:

So I brought lunch today. What did I bring? Half of a really large burger. Why? Because it was leftover from dinner yesterday and all I had to do to "prepare" it was stuff it in a Ziploc bag.

Redocbew

Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:06 am

derFunkenstein wrote:

It happens pretty regularly to me that a package will be "out for delivery" from a town that's 20 minutes away, but won't actually show up for several hours. I get that they're not going straight from point A to point B, and I always figured they had some schedule designed to optimize fuel efficiency or something, but the last "package" where that happened was ~80 pounds of hardwood that I bought for shop projects. I would think that would rank pretty high up on the list of things you'd want to offload quickly.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:19 am

Redocbew, that never bothers me. I figure they claim it will arrive by 8pm, so as long as it does I won't gripe. I do get a case of the Christmas Eve those days, though, because I"m always looking out the window for Santa the truck.

just brew it! wrote:
When I worked at Fermilab, it took a week to overnight a package. Seriously.

I believe every word of this.
just brew it! wrote:
So I brought lunch today. What did I bring? Half of a really large burger. Why? Because it was leftover from dinner yesterday and all I had to do to "prepare" it was stuff it in a Ziploc bag.

Well, you know, it's lunch that you brought from home. :lol:

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:37 pm

Redocbew wrote:
I always figured they had some schedule designed to optimize fuel efficiency or something, but the last "package" where that happened was ~80 pounds of hardwood that I bought for shop projects. I would think that would rank pretty high up on the list of things you'd want to offload quickly.

Last I heard anything about courier logistics, they optimize for stoplight avoidance and right-turns. Less time spent idling in traffic, either waiting at lights or waiting to make lefts across traffic, uses less fuel and makes for more predictable timing even if the route is longer.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

farmpuma
Location: Soybean field, IN, USA, Earth .. just a bit south of John .. err .... Fart Wayne, Indiana

Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:00 am

I would expect eighty pounds of hardwood to be at the bottom of most any stack of boxes of stuff.
[img]http://[/img] Image
.* * M-51 * *. .The Whirlpool Galaxy. .TV muted, X dual flying birds & a mantra, "Specter be Gone"

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:52 am

farmpuma wrote:
I would expect eighty pounds of hardwood to be at the bottom of most any stack of boxes of stuff.

Lower center of gravity. Less squishing of stuff marked fragile.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:01 pm

· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

Kougar

Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:25 pm

Dunno where to stick this. Just read about it http://jalopnik.com/photos-show-just-ho ... 1797505352

An Air Canada flight came within 59 feet of creating an event that would have eclipsed the Tenerife airline disaster. Not sure I want to know how many feet it came within of clipping the tail of that second jet on the taxiway....

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:09 pm

Kougar wrote:
Dunno where to stick this. Just read about it http://jalopnik.com/photos-show-just-ho ... 1797505352

An Air Canada flight came within 59 feet of creating an event that would have eclipsed the Tenerife airline disaster. Not sure I want to know how many feet it came within of clipping the tail of that second jet on the taxiway....

Yeah, I was reading about that earlier today. Seems like it should be SOP to preserve the contents of the cockpit voice recorder when incidents like that happen.

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:35 am

It is SOP to preserve the CVR in any incident in commercial aviation, but it is quite common for a "mistake" to be made and overwrite the evidence.

There's a strong push in enlightened countries to not punish people in aviation who make mistakes but to try and understand why they made the mistake.

In this case, the landing was at 3am by the pilots body clocks, on to the right hand runway. The left runway was closed so the lighting was off on it. The pilots know that they are cleared to land on the right, see two lit lines in front of them and line up on the right hand one. The lighting differs between a runway and a taxiway so that should have helped, they were notified that the left runway was closed (although the list of notifications at each airport is ridiculously long), and they actually queried about other planes on the "runway".

Also related is what we discussed before about how old everything is in aviation. This was an old A320 and an angled visual approach, so they couldn't actually tune the ILS and see that they weren't lined up on the runway. Modern aircraft can now fly paths based on GPS, but that's a very recent thing.

The Egg

Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:07 am

"The NTSB said that investigators don’t have access to the plane’s cockpit voice recorder, as it had been overwritten during the next flight. Recorders only capture the last two hours of flying, according to The Associated Press."

Totally inexcusable. The fact that 500+ deaths were barely avoided doesn't make it any less severe of an incident, because it could have just as easily gone the other way. Multiple people should be losing their jobs over the voice recorder alone, IMO.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:20 am

I'm in the target the process not the people boat. People can be expected to act normally, like trying to protect your job. Develop a process that accounts for that, especially these days with the power of tech. Exactly why is the voice recorder overwritten every two hours. Does it use a floppy disk? I keep McDonald's receipts longer than two hours, but in flight communication, 2 hours A-okay.
When drunk.....

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:26 am

Heiwashin wrote:
I'm in the target the process not the people boat. People can be expected to act normally, like trying to protect your job. Develop a process that accounts for that, especially these days with the power of tech. Exactly why is the voice recorder overwritten every two hours. Does it use a floppy disk? I keep McDonald's receipts longer than two hours, but in flight communication, 2 hours A-okay.

The recorder was probably designed a long time ago, and is using some sort of really low-density non-volatile storage and inefficient (or no) compression. FAA certification (and cost thereof) tend to mean that once a design for a piece of equipment is cleared for avionics use, it gets used (and re-used) for decades.

Glorious
Gerbilus Supremus

Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:28 am

The Egg wrote:
Totally inexcusable. The fact that 500+ deaths were barely avoided doesn't make it any less severe of an incident, because it could have just as easily gone the other way. Multiple people should be losing their jobs over the voice recorder alone, IMO.

Absolute nonsense. It is entirely excusable.

CVRs have 2 hours of buffer, by federal law/regulation: If they aren't deactivated, they -will- be overwritten. Thus they aren't meant to provide a complete record of conversation during a flight, they are solely intended to provide a record up/until some terminal event.

Thus, unless they landed the plane immediately, turned off the power(!!) and deactivated/removed the CVR, it's going to get overwritten.

And, if the NTSB isn't notified until 2 days later and the Plane is doing normal turn-arounds, yeah, of course it's gone. How could it be otherwise?

https://www.ntsb.gov/investigations/Pag ... IA148.aspx

NTSB wrote:
On July 7, 2017, about 2356 Pacific daylight time (PDT), Air Canada flight 759 (ACA759), an Airbus A320, C-FKCK, was cleared to land on runway 28R at San Francisco International Airport (SFO)

NTSB wrote:
The National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) was notified of the incident on Sunday, July 9, and initiated an investigation

It's gone.

Please. Tell me who you think should be fired.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:31 am

Not feeling badly about calling Animal Control to pick up a cat that I know belongs to people three houses down. He'd been in our yard on and off the last few weeks and it was fine. It knows where home is and it goes there and it wanders the neighborhood. That's not normally allowed by either city or state ordinance. Animal Control rep told me that they're definitely not supposed to be wandering free. Friendly enough of a cat. It's taken care of ish, and it had a current rabies tag on the collar. No worries about disease, really.

But this morning kitty scratched my daughter on the arm and on the knee, and that's where I draw the line.

Thing is it's a pretty Siamese cat. Probably cost the owners a pretty penny. Not sure why you'd let an animal wander like that, but now they can go to Animal Control and pick it up. I'm sure I'll get a call or a visit and I'll tell them the same thing: when your animal scratches my kid, your negligence results in a cat being hauled away.

Glorious
Gerbilus Supremus

Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:46 am

Actually, come to think of it, the reason that the news now says "NTSB: Air Canada Jet Came Much Closer To Landing On Other Planes Than Thought" is *almost certainly* because the NTSB got its hands on the FLIGHT recorder data: that's stored for many more hours than the VOICE recorder.

That's how they now know how much of a close call it actually was...

The Egg

Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:49 am

Glorious wrote:
The Egg wrote:

Absolute nonsense. It is entirely excusable.
CVRs have 2 hours of buffer, by federal law/regulation: If they aren't deactivated, they -will- be overwritten. Thus they aren't meant to provide a complete record of conversation during a flight, they are solely intended to provide a record up/until some terminal event.
Thus, unless they landed the plane immediately, turned off the power(!!) and deactivated/removed the CVR, it's going to get overwritten.
And, if the NTSB isn't notified until 2 days later and the Plane is doing normal turn-arounds, yeah, of course it's gone. How could it be otherwise?
https://www.ntsb.gov/investigations/Pag ... IA148.aspx
NTSB wrote:
On July 7, 2017, about 2356 Pacific daylight time (PDT), Air Canada flight 759 (ACA759), an Airbus A320, C-FKCK, was cleared to land on runway 28R at San Francisco International Airport (SFO)

NTSB wrote:
The National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) was notified of the incident on Sunday, July 9, and initiated an investigation

It's gone.
Please. Tell me who you think should be fired.

This is essentially a 500+ death incident, with the only difference being a few extra seconds and the very last maneuver. Considering the severity of the incident, everything should have been halted, the plane grounded, and the data collected immediately. Whoever allowed the plane to continue flying with the knowledge that the voice recorder would be overwritten should be fired (the pilots were certainly aware, at the very least), as well as everyone involved in taking 2 days to report the incident.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:06 pm

The Egg wrote:
This is essentially a 500+ death incident, with the only difference being a few extra seconds and the very last maneuver. Considering the severity of the incident, everything should have been halted, the plane grounded, and the data collected immediately. Whoever allowed the plane to continue flying with the knowledge that the voice recorder would be overwritten should be fired (the pilots were certainly aware, at the very least), as well as everyone involved in taking 2 days to report the incident.

Based on what was reported, I'm not sure that the pilots or the airport understood how close everything came to disaster until the post-game analysis; it was night, and apparently they were already below radar so the tower had no idea they were approaching the wrong runway. They realized the error in time, pulled up, came back in to the correct runway, and nothing happened. Much later, the video footage was analyzed, and everyone said "Wow. That was really close."

What do you even think would be on the voice recorder? "Allahu Akbar! -- no, wait, McRib is back, maybe next month"?

If all reporting procedures were followed correctly, and it appears that they were, then maybe the process needs to be revised when near-miss incidents take place; but punishing people for following the process? What?
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:09 pm

I expect the voice recorder was full of expletives. I know what I say when I almost have an auto accident.

If they're following policies, then I agree. Change the policies. Firing people for following the rules is bad. If anything, fire the rule-makers. But we know that'll never happen.

The Egg

Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:12 pm

ludi wrote:
What do you even think would be on the voice recorder? "Allahu Akbar! -- no, wait, McRib is back, maybe next month"?

If all reporting procedures were followed correctly, and it appears that they were, then maybe the process needs to be revised when near-miss incidents take place; but punishing people for following the process? What?

How do you know everything was followed correctly? There's usually multiple failure points in any aviation accident. By the time they're yelling "Oh s**t" it's already too late, but listening to the 17 steps before that and determining where the miscommunication/error(s) occurred could certainly be helpful.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:18 pm

The Egg wrote:
How do you know everything was followed correctly?

How do YOU know that they were not? You're the one calling for an airport shutdown and firings.

The Egg wrote:
There's usually multiple failure points in any aviation accident. By the time they're yelling "Oh s**t" it's already too late, but listening to the 17 steps before that and determining where the miscommunication/error(s) occurred could certainly be helpful.

Maybe. But that's an argument for changing the procedures, not punishing the people who presumably followed them.

In an ideal world, cockpit voice recorders would stream compressed data in real time to cloud-based storage wherever a cell network signal was available, and the cockpit recorder would maintain days of storage for backup purposes in a modern compression format and storage media. In practice, the legacy momentum in aviation is decades old for the reasons JBI (who has actual experience in avionics design) already mentioned.

Glorious
Gerbilus Supremus

Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:18 pm

The Egg wrote:
This is essentially a 500+ death incident, with the only difference being a few extra seconds and the very last maneuver. Considering the severity of the incident, everything should have been halted, the plane grounded, and the data collected immediately.

No one realized how severe it was until after the fact, so your entire argument here involves time travel.

The Egg wrote:
Whoever allowed the plane to continue flying with the knowledge that the voice recorder would be overwritten should be fired (the pilots were certainly aware, at the very least), as well as everyone involved in taking 2 days to report the incident.

Again, misconception because you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. The CVR is most likely on whenever the plane is, not just when it is "flying" (in the beginning of the famous Hudson ditch landing ["Unable" "Can't do it" "we're gonna be in the Hudson" :o :o :o :o] CVR transcript you can read attendants boarding the plane and the pilots trying to get the cockpit door closed etc...). Hence, it's not just a matter of not allowing it to "fly" again, no, it's a matter of immediately isolating the plane as soon as possible. Why? Because the *minimum* turn-around time for a loaded 320 has to be roughly an hour by itself.

In other words, we're talking about totally killing the plane's power somewhere on the tarmac every-time there's confusion or uncertainly about a landing approach.

No. That's not going to happen. You'd have to fire dozens of people a month, create tens of thousands of EXTREMELY unhappy passengers and, hey, create unsafe conditions by stranding planes on the "safest" place on the tarmac you can find so the plane is ready for the NTSB to show and chain-of-custody the CVR.