Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

just brew it!
Administrator

Re: DYMT: Imi's Legacy

Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:24 am

The required area would be significantly less if you can stack them (with gaps for air to pass between). But then you need wind to push air through the gaps, or efficiency will plummet since there won't be enough water vapor for it to absorb. Might as well just build a wind turbine?

There's still something missing in the description of how it works (or it's physics-defying BS), but I'm not curious enough to pay the fee to download the full paper.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:47 pm

Good luck making Maxwell's Demon work.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

Igor_Kavinski
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:09 am

Jetman Dubai: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nj-Iwv5NJKg

Maybe some day, we can too.

Igor_Kavinski

Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:13 am

Radiation absorbing fungi: https://themindunleashed.com/2020/02/fu ... plant.html

Would be crazy ironic if the worst nuclear disaster in history ends up making a trip to Mars possible.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:56 pm

Igor_Kavinski wrote:
Radiation absorbing fungi: https://themindunleashed.com/2020/02/fu ... plant.html

Would be crazy ironic if the worst nuclear disaster in history ends up making a trip to Mars possible.

Every time I see a picture of #4 inside the NSC structure it causes a boggle. The sarcophagus always looked so imposing in the open. Now it looks like another piece of industrial plant being manufactured inside a hangar.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Redocbew

Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:23 am

I say we create the word "doofi" to be the plural form of dofus. This needs to be a thing.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

superjawes

Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:34 am

Redocbew wrote:
I say we create the word "doofi" to be the plural form of dofus. This needs to be a thing.

Is this a "plural of octopus" like thing? Because I believe there are three acceptable plurals: octopuses, octopi, and octopodes.

So if we wanted to pluralize "doofus" our options include: doofuses, doofi, and doofodes.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. Tis a silly place.

Igor_Kavinski

Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:32 pm

Igor_Kavinski

Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:15 pm

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 110843.htm

On the other hand, it brings new prospects to neuroprosthetic technologies, paving the way towards research into replacing dysfunctional parts of the brain with AI chips."

It could just as easily be implanted in a soldier for the ultimate fearless killing machine. This will not end well.

Xolore
Gerbil

Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:21 pm

Igor_Kavinski wrote:
It could just as easily be implanted in a soldier for the ultimate fearless killing machine. This will not end well.

I don't think fearless killing machines require any kind of brain interface tech to produce. We can already have guns mounted on drones controlled remotely or completely autonomously. No need to wait on fancy tech that's probably decades off of being functional enough for meaningful use.

This is sorta neat stuff but seems a long way off of being scary to me.

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:34 am

Xolore wrote:
Igor_Kavinski wrote:

I don't think fearless killing machines require any kind of brain interface tech to produce. We can already have guns mounted on drones controlled remotely or completely autonomously. No need to wait on fancy tech that's probably decades off of being functional enough for meaningful use.

This is sorta neat stuff but seems a long way off of being scary to me.

Indeed. If our tech advances to the point that this sort of thing is even remotely feasible, we've already made human soldiers obsolete. I don't think there would be much point.

Igor_Kavinski

Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:59 am

just brew it! wrote:
Indeed. If our tech advances to the point that this sort of thing is even remotely feasible, we've already made human soldiers obsolete. I don't think there would be much point.

Until AI gets as good as or better than a human, there will always be human soldiers, especially for special ops. Do you really wanna start another World War coz the AI in your drone/killer bot didn't know what to do in the face of a new situation and made a mess of everything by either shutting down or freezing in place or taking some course of action that a discerning human would never have taken?

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:10 am

Your previous post basically claimed that this tech will turn humans into AIs.

Igor_Kavinski

Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:28 am

just brew it! wrote:

Nope. I meant the parts of their brain that would otherwise be a hindrance to completing their objectives would be suppressed, like fear, desire etc. They would be fatally focused on completing their mission with nothing to distract them due to the implant in their brain.

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:41 am

Igor_Kavinski wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

Nope. I meant the parts of their brain that would otherwise be a hindrance to completing their objectives would be suppressed, like fear, desire etc. They would be fatally focused on completing their mission with nothing to distract them due to the implant in their brain.

You basically just defined a robot.

Igor_Kavinski

Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:42 am

just brew it! wrote:
Igor_Kavinski wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

You basically just defined a robot.

But a robot can't think out of the box when faced with an unknown unprecedented situation. That's where the human brain really excels.

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:29 am

The implant (at least the way you seem to be envisioning it) suppresses free will. Without free will, how do you think "outside the box"?

Igor_Kavinski

Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:01 pm

just brew it! wrote:
The implant (at least the way you seem to be envisioning it) suppresses free will. Without free will, how do you think "outside the box"?

Fear and desire are not part of free will. Are you saying that we are only able to solve problems because of our amygdala?

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:04 pm

Free will must deny fear and desire?

Igor_Kavinski

Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:19 pm

I simply don't get what free will has to do with problem solving or fear and desire? How are they inter related?

Igor_Kavinski

Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:53 am

Saw this on Wednesday: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0110167/
Then saw this on Thursday: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7713068/

And Rosie Perez was in both of them! This isn't the first time I have seen an actor/actress appearing in movies I watched spaced apart by a few days or even consecutively. Statistically, this should be impossible given how many decent players there are in the Hollywood industry. Why does this happen to me and what is the universe trying to tell me?

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:40 pm

Igor_Kavinski wrote:
... Why does this happen to me and what is the universe trying to tell me?

It is trying to tell you that you're not very good at working out probabilities. It is a variation of the "birthday problem": https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birthday_problem

I.e., the odds are actually much higher than you think.

The odds of a SPECIFIC actor being in any two movies chosen at random is indeed fairly low; but the odds of any two movies chosen at random having at least one actor in common is a lot higher.

superjawes

Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:55 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Igor_Kavinski wrote:
... Why does this happen to me and what is the universe trying to tell me?

It is trying to tell you that you're not very good at working out probabilities. It is a variation of the "birthday problem": https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birthday_problem

I.e., the odds are actually much higher than you think.

The odds of a SPECIFIC actor being in any two movies chosen at random is indeed fairly low; but the odds of any two movies chosen at random having at least one actor in common is a lot higher.

Just wait until he learns about Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon.

Redocbew

Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:24 pm

Yeah, the fact that you can't trust your intuition as a guide for how things really work is a general rule for a lot of different fields.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

Igor_Kavinski

Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:26 pm

just brew it! wrote:
The odds of a SPECIFIC actor being in any two movies chosen at random is indeed fairly low;

And yet that happens to me fairly frequently. If we had a worldwide consolidated video-on-demand platform instead of multiple movie streaming platforms, I could look into my history and find out exactly how many times this has happened. We aren't there yet.

superjawes

Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:46 pm

Igor_Kavinski wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

And yet that happens to me fairly frequently. If we had a worldwide consolidated video-on-demand platform instead of multiple movie streaming platforms, I could look into my history and find out exactly how many times this has happened. We aren't there yet.

You...you literally just ignored JBI's explanation.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:18 pm

superjawes wrote:
Just wait until he learns about Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon.

I can get there in 3.

1. Fellow summer camp counselor in 1985 went to USC.
2. While at USC fellow counselor was in a class with Ally Sheedy.
3. Ally Sheedy appeared in the 1988 Kevin Bacon move "She's Having a Baby".

QED

Glorious
Gerbilus Supremus

Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:21 pm

JBI wrote:

..especially when this is likely not terribly random at all.

Igor_Kavinski wrote:
If we had a worldwide consolidated video-on-demand platform instead of multiple movie streaming platforms, I could look into my history

Gee! It sounds like Igor is "randomly" selecting movies that appear in his feed!

Igor, that's not "random" at all. No, the fact that you might have selected one on Netflix and the other on Prime Video doesn't really preclude this: they both are presenting you a slate of items of interest that some algorithm determined based on your history on those plaforms, which despite being separate still have an obvious commonality. (YOU!)

So, for all we know, those alogrithms might have noticed that you seem to like Rosie Perez...

That is, this could be the *EXACT OPPOSITE* of random (and, given the fact that you're divining cosmic influence behind some secondary actress I've never heard of, uh, well... I'd hazard a "high probable" here, hrm?)
Last edited by Glorious on Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Glorious
Gerbilus Supremus

Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:25 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
I can get there in 3.

1. Fellow summer camp counselor in 1985 went to USC.
2. While at USC fellow counselor was in a class with Ally Sheedy.
3. Ally Sheedy appeared in the 1988 Kevin Bacon move "She's Having a Baby".

QED

In One.

Kevin Bacon went to my high school . Classmate of mine, an enterprising sort (she later became a published author), called the manager of the band he and his brother formed (creatively named "the Bacon Brothers") and asked, hey, when they are nearby, would they play at his alma mater?

This actually worked.
Last edited by Glorious on Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:26 pm

Glorious wrote:
I'd hazard a "high probable" here, hrm?)

Emphasis on the "high".