Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Re: DYMT: Imi's Legacy

Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:48 am

yeah, we have tons of elm trees in this city. Godawful shade trees; they're prone to breaking branches off at the slightest wind...and in the Texas panhandle, wind is pretty much non-stop. My wife bought a fire pit specifically to handle all the dropped branches (they kind of fill up the dumpsters really quickly).
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:38 am

I remember most of the elms in Chicago getting cut down when I was a kid, as a result of Dutch Elm Disease.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Sun Aug 14, 2016 3:16 pm

just brew it! wrote:
I remember most of the elms in Chicago getting cut down when I was a kid, as a result of Dutch Elm Disease.

I was still in single digits when Dad & I pulled down the elm in our backyard for the same reason.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:48 pm

This obit was linked in one of my blogs. Sounds like a guy I would have been proud to share a cheap beer with:

http://obits.nola.com/obituaries/nola/o ... =181033700

Acidicheartburn
Gerbil Team Leader

Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:34 pm

According to the most recent Valve Hardware and Software Survey, I am a time traveler:

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:02 am

That's the UNIX/Linux epoch date.

Redocbew
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:49 am

Yeah, as far as *nix is concerned time began on January 1, 1970. A timestamp of zero will do that.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:51 am

Captain Ned wrote:
This obit was linked in one of my blogs. Sounds like a guy I would have been proud to share a cheap beer with:

"potted meat"

LOL. I had vague memories of consuming that stuff as a child, so several years ago I bought a tin of it just for grins. Upon popping the pull-tab lid, my nostrils were assaulted by a stench which could be described as "canned dog food that's been left sitting in a bowl out on the patio to ferment for a couple of days". Against my better judgement, I took a small taste... then promptly chucked the rest of can in the trash.

And this is coming from a person who will willingly (and enthusiastically!) consume Spam, canned Vienna Sausage, and other questionable meat (by)products which were likely invented as WWII troop rations. (Though like the guy in the obit, "dietary restrictions" have forced me to ditch them for "real food". :wink:)

Fantastic obit, BTW.

Acidicheartburn wrote:
According to the most recent Valve Hardware and Software Survey, I am a time traveler:

Redocbew wrote:
Yeah, as far as *nix is concerned time began on January 1, 1970. A timestamp of zero will do that.

Why bother checking for corner cases or error status in your code? It just wastes CPU cycles! :lol:

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:29 am

Canned chicken and tuna both smell like that, too. It's horrific. And I also like a good fried Spam sandwich with some mustard.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:14 am

The deed is done. The one and only child has been delivered to and installed in college. Wife is a weepy wreck and my back is killing me (3rd floor room, no elevator, ancient cube-style dorm fridge). She and daughter drove together so I'm sure I'm missed a lot of weepiness on the way out. That said, I was driving the heavy lifting and the Sirius/XM "Classic Vinyl" channel chose that stretch to play Skynyrd's "Simple Man". Had to pull over for a few minutes there myself.

The Egg

Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:39 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Captain Ned wrote:

"potted meat"

LOL. I had vague memories of consuming that stuff as a child, so several years ago I bought a tin of it just for grins. Upon popping the pull-tab lid, my nostrils were assaulted by a stench which could be described as "canned dog food that's been left sitting in a bowl out on the patio to ferment for a couple of days". Against my better judgement, I took a small taste... then promptly chucked the rest of can in the trash.

I've heard of Spam, among other things, but had to look up potted meat to confirm it was basically what I imagined. Likely equal amounts "meat", salt, and sodium nitrate -- it should only be consumed as a last resort when stuck in a nuclear fallout shelter and about to run out of food. It's a wonder that guy made it to 69.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:43 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
(3rd floor room, no elevator, ancient cube-style dorm fridge).

Now THAT is college as I remember it, before my Alma Matter started jacking the fees and building miniature luxury condos over the past 10-ish years.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:44 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
... And I also like a good fried Spam sandwich with some mustard.

The Egg wrote:
I've heard of Spam, among other things

Spam musubi is amazing.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:56 pm

I'll shamefully admit i still dip into a can of spam on occasion with some eggs or something. I know it probably brings me a step closer to death but it has an unusual taste that i happen to enjoy.
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:01 pm

Heiwashin wrote:
I'll shamefully admit i still dip into a can of spam on occasion with some eggs or something. I know it probably brings me a step closer to death but it has an unusual taste that i happen to enjoy.

I don't see how it's any worse than eating a hotdog. I mean, it's basically a hotdog without the skin and liquid smoke flavoring.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:31 am

http://www.seeker.com/new-nearby-earth- ... 97349.html

Seems like we might have discovered an Earth-like planet orbiting Proxima Centauri, just 4.25 LY away. I wonder if Londo Mollari will be happy to see the first Earth probe sent in that direction?

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:36 am

ludi wrote:
I don't see how it's any worse than eating a hotdog. I mean, it's basically a hotdog without the skin and liquid smoke flavoring.

'Tis why I adore my local butcher, Bessery's Quality Market. I know we're used to sausage having texture, but their hot dogs have sausage texture as well instead of pink slime in a tube. Little kids wouldn't eat them but the adults vampired up all I had brung.

Fed 60 people on their Sweet Italian, Hot Italian, Jalapeno/Cheese Brats (surprisingly much milder than the Hot Italian) and dogs. Didn't hear any complaints.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:14 am

I delivered something at my loading point today. I drove from north dakota to just north of chicago and when i was spinning a 4 inch strap winch by hand i saw what appeared to be dirt inside blocking it up. When i leaned in for a closer look a bat flew out and smacked me in the face and took off. Now i don't particularly mind bats but i still stood there for a good 10 seconds recounting the event. At any rate i did my part in propagating a species, too bad there weren't a pair of them.

Also on a less silly note about half my family lost their houses and cars in the louisiana flooding. I wonder how our TR louisianians are faring. There's a whole bunch of nothing i can do about it so i'm just gonna focus on my work as a distraction.
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:40 am

If it broke the skin at all you might want to think about getting a rabies shot. They're a pretty common carrier around these parts.

The Egg

Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:16 am

Heiwashin wrote:
I delivered something at my loading point today. I drove from north dakota to just north of chicago and when i was spinning a 4 inch strap winch by hand i saw what appeared to be dirt inside blocking it up. When i leaned in for a closer look a bat flew out and smacked me in the face and took off.

No joke, get a rabies shot as soon as possible. I live in the Chicago area, and they've found dead bats with rabies in many of the surrounding towns this summer. A bat bite can be so small that they're barely perceptible, and if it made physical contact I wouldn't mess around.

Edit: Chicago Tribune - Rabid Bat Cases Double In Illinois

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:03 am

Ew well there's nothing noticeable but I'll make an in route stop at a clinic or something and get one just incase.
When drunk.....

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:15 am

Heiwashin wrote:
Ew well there's nothing noticeable but I'll make an in route stop at a clinic or something and get one just incase.

It won't be a simple "shoot & go". You and your dispatcher need to talk. Don't put this off, period.

http://www.vaccines.gov/diseases/rabies/

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:49 pm

Yeah, I should've said "rabies shots" (plural). I hate to be alarmist, but at the very least you need to get the advice of a medical professional on this ASAP, because rabies is not something to mess around with.

Glorious
Gerbilus Supremus

Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:00 pm

Well, I don't really know if it is alarmist, because if you get infected with rabies and get the shots you'll be fine, as much as that is unpleasant.

However, if you don't get the shots early and are infected, you are dead. Late-stage rabies was 100% fatal until 10 years ago, and even since then it's a crazy intervention where they put you into a coma and drug the bejeesus out of you for weeks with like a 15% survival rate.

Seriously, don't even risk it.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:34 pm

I''m aware of the "Milwaukee Protocol", but at my age I still refer back to that 100% dead thingy. Oh, and to add to the joy, it doesn't require a skin break. Infected critter drippings in any of your mucosa and it's off for the shots. Good friend of mine sends his kids to a YMCA camp on the west shore of Lake Champlain and the entire camp was treated to the rabies shot protocol 2 years ago because of a single bat in a single cabin. The less said of the laissez-faire attitude to bat encounters at my YMCA camp back in the 1970s will keep several insurance companies happy.

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:42 pm

"What I did this past summer."

Bet that resulted in some interesting school writing projects the following fall! :lol:

Edit: And yeah, "broke the skin" should've been "broke the skin, or got anywhere near any body orifices", which since it got in your face is probably a given.

Topinio
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:12 pm

Rabies is not to be taken lightly, hope you get the jabs asap.

CDC contact details for IL:

Please contact your local health department first for exposure consultation. If the local health department can not be reached contact the state health department at the numbers below.

Business hours contact: 217-782-2016
After hours contact: 800-782-7860

Illinois Department of Public Health, Division of Environmental Health

http://dph.illinois.gov/topics-services/diseases-and-conditions/diseases-a-z-list/rabies
The presence of a bat in a home, or any contact with a bat, represents a possible hazard for rabies and should be reported to the local health department so that the circumstances can be evaluated.

http://dph.illinois.gov/topics-services/environmental-health-protection/structural-pest-control/bats-exclusion
If a bat bites or has physical contact with a person, the wound or contact area should be washed immediately with soap and water. Unfortunately, b at bites and scratches are small and may go unnoticed. In certain situations it may be impossible to know if contact with a bat has occurred. These situations occur when a bat is found in the same room with a sleeping person, infant or young child, persons with diminished sensory or mental capacity, or persons under the influence of alcohol or drugs. Whenever a bat has physical contact with a person, or is suspected of coming in contact with a person, the bat should be captured, if possible, and the incident should be reported immediately to a physician and local health authority to assess the need for rabies treatment.

The incubation period (time from exposure to appearance of symptoms) varies from days to years, but is usually one to three months. The initial symptoms of rabies in humans may be flu-like and progress to anxiety, confusion, agitation, insomnia, hallucinations, delirium and other abnormal behavior. To be effective, treatment should begin as soon as possible after exposure. Once symptoms appear, rabies is almost always fatal, although a recent experimental treatment appears promising.
Desktop: 750W Snow Silent, X11SAT-F, E3-1270 v5, 32GB ECC, RX 5700 XT, 500GB P1 + 250GB BX100 + 250GB BX100 + 4TB 7E8, XL2730Z + L22e-20
HTPC: X-650, DH67GD, i5-2500K, 4GB, GT 1030, 250GB MX500 + 1.5TB ST1500DL003, KD-43XH9196 + KA220HQ
Laptop: MBP15,2

Redocbew

Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:46 pm

It's been rumored that Edgar Allen Poe died from rabies although that was never proven conclusively. Like others have said, if there's any chance of infection, then you need to get yourself checked out. It's more commonly known than exotic viruses like Marburg and Ebola, but that doesn't mean it's any less serious once it gets a foothold in the system. I don't mean to be alarmist either, but yeah... it's pretty nasty.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

Topinio
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:19 pm

Gah, I just looked it up following Redocbew's mention of Ebola, and while not wanting to be alarmist either, Wikipedia has untreated rabies as more fatal than untreated smallpox, Ebola, AIDS, and anthrax.
Desktop: 750W Snow Silent, X11SAT-F, E3-1270 v5, 32GB ECC, RX 5700 XT, 500GB P1 + 250GB BX100 + 250GB BX100 + 4TB 7E8, XL2730Z + L22e-20
HTPC: X-650, DH67GD, i5-2500K, 4GB, GT 1030, 250GB MX500 + 1.5TB ST1500DL003, KD-43XH9196 + KA220HQ
Laptop: MBP15,2

biffzinker
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:23 pm

Retro Tech: The Wire Recorder
The Wire Recorder was expected to take over the world but disappeared almost overnight. In this video I take a look at this now largely forgotten technology from the past..and piece together its history.

https://youtu.be/90ihiTwJPCc

Learned something new today, didn't know about using steel wire as a recording medium.
It would take you 2,363 continuous hours or 98 days,11 hours, and 35 minutes of gameplay to complete your Steam library.
In this time you could travel to Venus one time.