Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

Redocbew
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: DYMT: Imi's Legacy

Mon May 01, 2017 12:15 pm

superjawes wrote:
You can turn those pre-paid Visas into an Amazon gift card balance

Nifty. I'll have to do that once the card gets here.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue May 02, 2017 5:39 am

This i learned today: passwords on Capital One's web site are case-insensitive.

WTF?
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue May 02, 2017 6:22 am

Well I'll be...you're right. Wonder how long it's been like that? :o

I despise group projects. Tonight I'll be done with this one, though. I just have this one guy who says everything the other two people (myself and one other guy) do or suggest is crap, but he hasn't (to my knowledge) implemented anything he spitballs. And that's fine, because he's an idiot.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

DrDominodog51
Gerbil Elite

Tue May 02, 2017 8:29 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
I despise group projects. Tonight I'll be done with this one, though. I just have this one guy who says everything the other two people (myself and one other guy) do or suggest is crap, but he hasn't (to my knowledge) implemented anything he spitballs. And that's fine, because he's an idiot.

You can either be a parasite or a host during group projects. Both have benefits and downsides. Pick your poison.
A10-7850K; GA-F2A88XN-WIFI, 16 GB of 2400MHz DDR3, 500 GB Team Group L5 SSD

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed May 03, 2017 5:28 am

Well this is a new one. I'm sitting here reading the forums, and suddenly my mouse cursor starts to go nuts, intermittently jittering randomly back and forth. So I pick up the mouse to see if there's dirt on the sensor (and with the plan of administering a little percussive maintenance as a last resort if nothing obvious is amiss). The problem? There was an ant crawling around under the mouse! :lol:

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed May 03, 2017 7:57 am

DrDominodog51 wrote:
You can either be a parasite or a host during group projects. Both have benefits and downsides. Pick your poison.

I chose host, and it showed last night when we had to present the project. It was obvious that the parasite had no idea what was in the code and couldn't answer any questions the instructor asked about it.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

Redocbew

Wed May 03, 2017 11:56 am

I always found it very amusing when that happened. It's not like you're discussing movies or art or something. There are wrong answers here, and if they don't know the code it's not that difficult for someone who knows the right questions to ask to figure that out.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Wed May 03, 2017 6:23 pm

Well, that was odd. Sitting here at my desk pondering how to meet the fresh demand of SWMBO that I must make dinner, and hear a knock on my door. That's usually UPS just stirring up the dog. Go downstairs and open the door to find 2 13-15YO teens (BF/GF, I think?), scared, shivering, and undressed for the temps. Hustle them in and ask what's up. They were walking to a rendezvous point with Mom, took a wrong turn (Oh yes, they did), and fetched up on my front porch. Gave him the house phone (ah, must be his Mom) so he can call and make contact, then tell Mom how to navigate to my front door.

Tragedy averted, Mom arrived, and all is good. For where I live I've had a disconcerting number of these encounters over the 20+ years I've owned this house.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

Redocbew

Wed May 03, 2017 6:33 pm

Did they not have cell phones? That wouldn't have helped them get out of the cold right away, but I thought everyone had these things now.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Thu May 04, 2017 4:37 am

Redocbew wrote:
Did they not have cell phones? That wouldn't have helped them get out of the cold right away, but I thought everyone had these things now.

Nope, no cells on them, but he knew Mom's cell #.

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu May 04, 2017 6:39 am

I suppose if you live way out in the sticks where cell signal is spotty anyway, owning/carrying a cell phone is less of a priority.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu May 04, 2017 4:49 pm

Redocbew wrote:
I always found it very amusing when that happened. It's not like you're discussing movies or art or something. There are wrong answers here, and if they don't know the code it's not that difficult for someone who knows the right questions to ask to figure that out.

I don't know how that turd did, but I'm happy with what I received on the project. Whew.

Also got some good news today: I will one day soon be able to stop complaining about Genero Mobile. The project that I inherited in late 2015 has been marked for death, because...well, a lot of reasons, I guess. What's good about that? I'll be re-writing it in a language that people on Earth actually use: C#, through the magic of Xamarin.

Redocbew

Thu May 04, 2017 4:58 pm

Nifty. I might have a Xamarin project coming up soon also. It looks like a pretty nice platform.

I like C# as a language. The .net framework in general still doesn't make much sense to me sometimes, but the conditions in which I learned it weren't great either. If I had a chance to go back and take another look at it I bet things would be different.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu May 04, 2017 8:39 pm

It's pretty nice, at least in the last couple weeks I've been tinkering. I have a C# class this fall so I thought I'd get a jump this summer. I grabbed a nice Xamarin Forms class on Udemy for $10 and once I finished I figured I'd start fooling around on my own with the web services that are available to me in a QA instance at work. And then today my boss asked me what I knew of Xamarin, due to all of the mobile devs' dislike for the GM platform. Very weird coincidence that I happened to have a 3-week head start just because I knew a class would come up this fall.

The worst part of it is the IDE itself. Xamarin Studio tends to lose touch with the Android emulator and fail to deploy a package from time to time, and the Visual Studio preview has a crazy memory leak. Every time you deploy, the package apparently gets held in memory because memory usage never goes back down after stopping the debug process. It got unusable as it crossed the 5GB mark. :o I'm sure VS2017 on Windows is fine.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Fri May 05, 2017 2:20 pm

So, Ontario Liquor Control discovers that some of the Bombay Sapphire on gov't store shelves is 77%/154 proof instead of the labeled 40%/80 proof. They got all of the "defective" bottles off the shelves, and are urging consumers to return already-purchased bottles for a refund.

Yeah, that's gonna go well. EBay won't take booze listings, so check Craigslist or other local black-market fora as owners of unopened bottles seek to cash in.

http://time.com/4766332/bombay-sapphire ... a-alcohol/

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Fri May 05, 2017 2:44 pm

Wow 77%... But i wouldn't pay a premium for that. As if 40% is somehow lacking potency.
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Fri May 05, 2017 6:13 pm

I once tasted a high-proof brandy, 135 I think. Mostly it just burned without imparting a lot of flavor.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Fri May 05, 2017 6:23 pm

ludi wrote:
I once tasted a high-proof brandy, 135 I think. Mostly it just burned without imparting a lot of flavor.

Over-sharing commenceth here:

Summer, 1984. Los Angeles Summer Olympics. I've been working that summer building condos on Killington, so when I get back down the hill, I tend to over-indulge becuse that was real work. It's a Friday (I think??) and I've wowed the crowd at the local bar by drinking 2 flaming shots of Bacardi 151. Next thing I know, there's 5 more in front of me, all 5 aflame. I'm 20. I can't say no. Number 5 bounces off my lip and removes a good chunk of the beard I'd been cultivating all summer.

Now comes the women's 1500 meter final, with Mary Decker Slaney up against the South African barefoot wonder, Zola Budd. Budd trips Slaney and she wrecks on the inside wall. I'm told that I immediately hopped onto the table and started a distinctly foul diatribe. Thankfully, I was driven home that night.

Come 5 AM or so, my younger sister has to pee and finds me sprawled over the bathroom floor, the same bathroom shared by Mom & Dad. She takes sufficient pity on me to stuff me in my room and close the door.

Here endeth the over-sharing.

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri May 05, 2017 8:34 pm

FWIW my really bad drinking story from when I was about that age involved Bacardi 151 as well, in the form of some very strong rum & colas. I was apparently found laying in a stand-up shower stall with my pants around my ankles, after having fallen backwards through the shower door (plastic, fortunately).

To this day, over 30 years on, I still do not like the smell of rum & cola. Only the combination though; I'm fine with either one by itself.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Fri May 05, 2017 9:54 pm

Oh man. Reminds of a miscommunication between a bartender and myself that wound up with a disgusting rum and coke that wound up bein ga triple...of 151.

I did not drive home that night. Or walk straight. Or talk to anyone the next day.
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat May 06, 2017 7:51 am

paulWTAMU wrote:
Oh man. Reminds of a miscommunication between a bartender and myself that wound up with a disgusting rum and coke that wound up bein ga triple...of 151.

I did not drive home that night. Or walk straight. Or talk to anyone the next day.

In my case, I was fortunately within carrying distance of my room. And yeah, the next day was pretty rough. If we still did the same stupid sh*t we did when we were teenagers and early-20-somethings, we'd be dead by now.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Sat May 06, 2017 11:35 am

Those are the nights where the next day you wake up around noon and you're still drunk. :lol:

I don't miss my 20s.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Sat May 06, 2017 12:00 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
I don't miss my 20s.

I can't miss what I don't remember.

Seems like anyone who's tried Bacardi 151 in their youth has been wrecked by it at least once.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat May 06, 2017 12:20 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
derFunkenstein wrote:
I don't miss my 20s.

I can't miss what I don't remember.

Reminds me of a conversation I had several years ago, with a 20-something co-worker.

Me: So how was that party you said you and your buddies were going to in the city over the weekend?

Co-worker: Fantastic! We rented a limo to get there, and started drinking as soon as the limo pulled out. I don't remember much after the limo ride.

Me: Well, how do you know you had a good time at the party, then?

Co-worker: There's Facebook evidence!

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Sat May 06, 2017 12:23 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Co-worker: There's Facebook evidence!

Thank Bob evidence was so easy to destroy in the 1980s.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Sat May 06, 2017 2:02 pm

New best restaurant experience. I like to put restraunts that I eat at against each other. Chains, local, big names, gimmicky half strip bars all the same to me, but since I get by one every weekend at the least while trucking I like to try something new and look for the best. Found a new best!

4 Brothers Grill and bar in souix city, Iowa. Got the spicy shrimp app. I've never had such flavorful perfectly cooked shrimp. It was crunchy and firm yet butter soft with a perfect flavor. Got the salmon entree. The salmon was the best I've had in the country. I didn't know such a juicy fish was possible. Even my broccoli was perfect. Gently buttered and perfectly steamed. I started gushing to the bartender about how amazing everything was and it turns out he's part owner and starts telling me the grueling process they went through to design these foods. The crazy thing is the prices are almost discount. Shrimp app 9$ salmon 15. Easily would have paid 50 or 60 total. I'll just fill that out in tips.
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Sat May 06, 2017 3:06 pm

New TR Front Page Podcast: Triple D (Damage, Dissonance, and I need help here) with Heiwashin!!

First cut was good, though I'm not sure that Sioux City, IA is in any upcoming travel plans.

EDIT: I've thought about this for all of 45 seconds, but there is a pitch to be made to Food Network showing how/what/where those who move the goods essential to society actually eat.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat May 06, 2017 3:09 pm

Most places overcook their shrimp and salmon.

Some of the best places are the little hole-in-the-wall joints that you only find out about through word-of-mouth or stumble upon by chance. I'll have to check that place out if I'm ever in Sioux City (I know I've been through there before on the way to somewhere else).

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Sat May 06, 2017 3:54 pm

Just prepped a potato/breakfast sausage/cheese/egg casserole for tomorrow's breakfast. Daughter's home and she do love her carbs. Even has some leftover cube steak (we do it with peppers/onions/shrooms and A1/Worchestershire) in it. Bit of a dog's breakfast, but with 2 cups of Cabot Seriously Sharp I can't go far wrong.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat May 06, 2017 4:26 pm

Speaking of food mash-ups, for lunch today I fried up some cubed tofu with an egg in some peanut oil, dumped in some leftover spicy collard greens with bacon (from when I made jambalaya for dinner a few days ago), and seasoned with sriracha and soy sauce. Asia meets Deep South. It was really freakin' good! I need to develop this into a scaled-up recipe and make it for the family for dinner sometime.