Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Re: DYMT: Imi's Legacy

Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:32 pm

After JAE spotted the car, with the Italian background I was guessing the Mille Miglia but a bit of Googling led to the actual answer of the Targa Florio:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/enzogaeta/2347621383/

Phil Hill and Hap Sharp were driving: http://www.sportscars.tv/Newfiles/Chaparral3.html
"Driving the Targa Florio circuit very carefully, Hill and Sharp had the Chaparral in fourth position near the end of the ninth of ten laps, when Sharp got a puncture in a rear tyre and had to give up.

The Chaparral was not designed for this sort of racing so was only carrying a front wheel and tyre as a spare to comply with regulations, and as this would not fit on the rear' the 'fun' was over. This was a pity, for it would have been quite an achievement to have finished the Targa Florio with a car that seemed most unsuitable for the mountain going."

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:57 am

Gah. Another mouse in the kitchen after a long hiatus. Chewables are isolated in plastic tubs once again, traps have been set.

I really do loathe the neighbor's bird feeder. The house finch sittings aren't worth the rodent invasion that results (both mice and squirrels).
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:26 am

yes, but what about home invasions from moose and squirrel?
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Chuckaluphagus
Gerbil Elite

Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:57 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
yes, but what about home invasions from moose and squirrel?

Is always Moose & Squirrel!

superjawes wrote:
Foe some reason, my brain simply cannot remember what has just come out of the oven. Had the skillet out for about two minutes before grabbing it, and now I'll be nursing pain in my fingers for the rest of the night. :(

Been there, done that. I usually just sit with my hand on a large bag of ice for the evening and give up on trying to be useful or productive.

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:52 am

My CIO is stepping down (sudden announcement from the perspective of the little people).

What crazy changes will the next CIO want to implement to make their mark? *shudder*

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:13 pm

A former co-worker who recently departed to take a job in another state discovered Monday of last week that the guy who hired him had abruptly quit. They're telling him that his job is safe, but he's understandably a little nervous. He hasn't actually sold his house and moved yet (has been working remotely for the time being), and now he is trying to convince them that they should open a satellite office here in IL so he doesn't have to move. There's actually a pretty good case for it; they claim they're planning to expand, and his network is here so he'd be able to more easily poach people he's worked with before.

The company is apparently interested enough in the idea that they've asked him to look into office space they could potentially lease here. (Now that's not something you expect to be doing when you hire on as a software engineer... :lol:)

Sounds like he's had an interesting week and a half.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:34 pm

From "hope they don't fire me" to "looking for office space" is quite a leap. :lol:

I feel like I'm perpetually looking over my shoulder, not just personally but for my department. We're always a positive contribution to the bottom line, but not a huge one and the people at the top of the food chain have basically told us that until we get the multiple overlapping products pared down, we're on our own and nobody is interested in investing heavily since there should be people getting freed up as products get retired. Moving people off of legacy software always means losing a few customers (it causes a mentality of "if you're going to boot me, I might as well shop around") and it just makes me nervous.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

wizardz
Gerbil

Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:35 pm

just brew it! wrote:
A former co-worker who recently departed to take a job in another state discovered Monday of last week that the guy who hired him had abruptly quit. They're telling him that his job is safe, but he's understandably a little nervous. He hasn't actually sold his house and moved yet (has been working remotely for the time being), and now he is trying to convince them that they should open a satellite office here in IL so he doesn't have to move. There's actually a pretty good case for it; they claim they're planning to expand, and his network is here so he'd be able to more easily poach people he's worked with before.

The company is apparently interested enough in the idea that they've asked him to look into office space they could potentially lease here. (Now that's not something you expect to be doing when you hire on as a software engineer... :lol:)

Sounds like he's had an interesting week and a half.

happened to me once. similar scenario where the gal who hired me was promptly fired a mere couple days later. was the most stressful weeks i ever had.

fortunately for me, i didn't have to move or anything and i worked there for more than a decade so it turned out not so bad afterfall :)

The Egg
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:07 pm

I hate plastic mousepads. Moving a mouse across a dirty hard-plastic surface with grit is like nails on a chalkboard to me. Not only that, but they cause the mouse feet to become scratched and accumulate compacted gunk. I'll take a basic $2.99 cloth pad any day.

Kougar

Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:43 am

The Egg wrote:
I hate plastic mousepads. Moving a mouse across a dirty hard-plastic surface with grit is like nails on a chalkboard to me. Not only that, but they cause the mouse feet to become scratched and accumulate compacted gunk. I'll take a basic $2.99 cloth pad any day.

When they get dirty, sure, but that's why ya shouldn't eat around them. If it does happen it's easy to wipe the pad clean. I hate the cloth pads because they get grimey from skin/oil buildup and there's nothing to do about it but toss them. Been using the same plastic razor pad for a decade or more.

Redocbew

Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:27 am

I hate eating at the machine anyway. I do sometimes when I'm working on something and don't want to stop in the middle of it, but I spend enough time sitting in front of this thing as it is. I don't need to eat in front of it also.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

Kougar

Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:22 am

Another US military incident in Japan, the side window frame fell off a CH-53E Super Stallion and landed on a concrete schoolyard, injuring one girl. Came very close to being much, much worse. :-?

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:56 pm

A silly edu-vid about the electromagnetic spectrum from NASA. I'm not posting this for the content, but the players. Gamers will remember the female voice, while older sci-fi buffs will have a visceral reaction to the guy in this vid.

https://youtu.be/OYK7G6r0Pec
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

Vhalidictes
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:25 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
A silly edu-vid about the electromagnetic spectrum from NASA. I'm not posting this for the content, but the players. Gamers will remember the female voice, while older sci-fi buffs will have a visceral reaction to the guy in this vid.

https://youtu.be/OYK7G6r0Pec

Is that actually supposed to be nightmare fuel? I can't imagine the intended audience would know those actors.

G8torbyte
Gerbil Team Leader

Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:01 pm

Heiwashin wrote:
Dashcam update. It's been a while and in the past few weeks i saw a few noteworthy things so i just threw them together in one video.
Notice that the most aggressive cutoff in the second one happens right under the chicago sign. :roll: It's always a free for all there.

I understand, my brother-in-law was a trucker in East TX hauling wood chips for awhile and he often said the cars cutting in front of him worried him the most because he would not be able to stop in time with the heavy weight load. He started using a dashcam for that reason.

I had another close one this week at the same intersection where I nearly T-boned someone a few months ago. Are drivers getting worse? Do they not understand the difference between flashing amber and flashing red? I can only assume lack of attention for those approaching that intersection for the first time and they assume a 4-way stop. Thankfully I had an uneasy feeling and I slowed down below the speed limit to react in time.
Later, -G8tor
Building PCs & gaming since"Chuck Yeager's Air Combat" 1991, Lurkin' around TR since 2004.
Current setups: Z390 Platform and DIY mini-ITX NAS Build

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:01 am

TFW code uses asserts and exception handlers as part of the normal control flow... and logs the exceptions. :roll:

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:16 am

I remember having a really heated argument about just that subject 15 years ago on a project. I insisted that if something went wrong in your code you either handled it or threw an exception up the stack. You didn't log because it may be another layer trying something out that it expected to fail to ensure that the next thing it did succeeded. Took a lot of arguing to convince people.

This was an Apache Tomcat project and the other rule I insisted on was that the end user never got an exception backtrace on the screen. The very last layer had to catch all the exceptions - it's OK to put up a simple "Something went wrong, please try again", or "System is broken, please contact the administrator" and in that case dump the exception to the logfile so the techsm can work out what happened. The last thing anyone wants to see is a Java backtrace all over their webpage.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:42 pm

just brew it! wrote:
TFW code uses asserts and exception handlers as part of the normal control flow... and logs the exceptions. :roll:

hahaha an app I use fairly frequently does this. There are two logs - one with all exceptions and one with just "important" exceptions. The file with all exceptions is full of NullReferenceException throws because every field is apparently validated with try/catch blocks and blank values cause the app to throw it.

I periodically delete the logs in that app because it's just appended rather than being a new file every session.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:41 pm

Getting my family an echo Dot with a smart plug and smart rgb led light bulb

Hope they learn how to use it :lol:
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:53 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

hahaha an app I use fairly frequently does this. There are two logs - one with all exceptions and one with just "important" exceptions. The file with all exceptions is full of NullReferenceException throws because every field is apparently validated with try/catch blocks and blank values cause the app to throw it.

I periodically delete the logs in that app because it's just appended rather than being a new file every session.

Unfortunately I'm not just a user of said app; I have recently been reassigned to the team that is now responsible for fixing it. At least cleaning up other people's crappy code is good for a laugh sometimes. And then there are the profanity-laced comments (both in the code itself and attached to some of the git commits).

I keep telling myself "That which does not kill us makes us stronger!" :lol:

Changing the subject, I'm making chicken curry for dinner tonight.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:56 pm

Echo Dot is pretty awesome. Plugged into an old set of 2.1-channel computer speakers, it has better sound quality than the more expensive Echo. The TP-Link smart plugs, switches and bulbs have been easy to install and operate. "Alexa, turn on living room lamp. Alexa, turn out the lights."

My brother uses Alexa to stream a lot of music (from Prime). I mostly use it for weather, as an alarm clock and as a kitchen timer. "Alexa set tea timer for four minutes. Alexa, set rice timer for twenty five minutes." Try the Jeopardy skill to feel smart. Try the Insult Generator and Geek Humor skills for a laugh.
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:12 pm

Well that's good to hear, it's the tp-link products that i bought. Maybe i should pick up some speakers for it too real quick. I'l definitely try the insult generator and jokes out, i'm certainly going to be the one setting it up. :lol:

*edit ordered the 2.1 system i use in my truck for the pc, sounds pretty good so i know they'll be happy with it. I do wonder how hard it is to talk over your music to get it to stop.
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:31 pm

I got my dad a Google Home Mini that I'm hoping he'll use for that same sort of thing. How's the weather? Set an alarm. Stuff like that. My mom thinks he'll like it and use it. He's been kind of looking at them on and off, which is weird for a guy who's usually pretty non-techie.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:22 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Changing the subject, I'm making chicken curry for dinner tonight.

Went for a curry triple-play. Chicken curry, eggplant curry, and curry rice. Yes, we all enjoy spicy food. Everything was delicious!

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:32 am

What kind of curry? I'm a big fan of red and yellow thai curries, but i don't think i've ever had a well prepared indian curry.
When drunk.....

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:58 am

Here are the recipes I went with this time around:
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/46822/indi ... -curry-ii/
https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food ... ant-109738
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/72349/indi ... mati-rice/

I guess the rice was technically not a curry on its own, but it was absolutely fantastic with a little of the extra sauce from the chicken drizzled over it.

It involved a fair bit of prep work; I sliced the eggplant first, then proceeded with the rest of the prep while the eggplant was draining. Got all the spices and other ingredients pre-measured and lined up on the counter in bowls before I started cooking anything. Started the chicken first, and once that was simmering started the rice and eggplant. Amazingly, everything was done at about the same time; I rarely manage to time things that well when I'm cooking multiple things at once.

Had to sub ground ginger for the fresh ginger root, since the piece of ginger we had in the fridge had gone bad; I wish I'd looked at it more closely before going to the store for my ingredients. IMO the bright flavor of fresh ginger would've made the chicken and eggplant even better!

I've saved copies of all three recipes for future reference; I'll be making these again.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:13 pm

why the hell are T&P relief valves so stubborn and why isn't there more clearance between the body of the water heater and the pipe that connects to the valve. Ugh.
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:36 pm

paulWTAMU wrote:
why the hell are T&P relief valves so stubborn and why isn't there more clearance between the body of the water heater and the pipe that connects to the valve. Ugh.

They're usually gooped up with pipe dope when being installed.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:56 pm

Yep. And I managed to break it while getting it off about 10 minutes after posting that. *sigh*. Oh well, I'll measure and get replacement piping when I'm back at the hardware store getting a new water heater.

Full story because I want to vent: We had our youngest son's birthday party yesterday. He turned 3. While herding a toddler to the bathroom, I notice there's water just gushing out of the closet where the water heater is. Get the shut-offs shut off, get the hose to drain it, leave the tub's hot faucet going to help drain, etc. Mop up the mess.

So today I've been boiling water to clean all the dishes from the party, doing lots of laundry on cold, and getting the water heater out of the closet. Ugh. Cleaning up a party's worth of dishes without a dishwasher in between working on pipes and getting the water heater out has sucked
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:22 pm

turns out I am hosed so hard my anus is bruising.

My water heater is in a location that is no longer legal for it to be in. Since I'm replacing it, I'll have to relocate it. Usually I'd say the hell with it and do it anyway but we're moving in May or June and putting the house for sale. So it has to pass inspection.

Damnit.