Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Re: DYMT: Imi's Legacy

Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:58 pm

just brew it! wrote:
DancinJack wrote:
Ubuntu 17.10 is out. Wayland (assuming you have the hardware) + GNOME are defaults. Maybe Ubuntu can get some of its joose back.

I'll wait until 18.04 LTS drops and see if it looks good enough to make me switch back to GNOME from KDE. I originally jumped ship for KDE back when Unity and GNOME 3 pissed me off.

Oh I hear ya. Canonical is only going so far, too. The desktop looks a lot like Unity 8 (or whatever version they were on) when you boot up. That's not necessarily a bad thing for a lot of users, but GNOME used to be so much better back in the day. Canonical says they're using GNOME 3.26.1 right now. Let's hope it's fairly bug-free.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:03 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
DancinJack wrote:
Many of the original Xbox and 360 games are in the store. I have Red Dead on my Xbone. It works great. Of course it would be nice to just "get" the games you already purchased once nine years ago, but alas, that's not the world we live in.

The games that are officially backward-compatible that I bought on the 360 marketplace are in my collection, so it's not like I have to re-buy anything.

It looks like it is primarily those games that were released on multiple generations at the same time they they don't let play through backwards compatibility mode.

Chuckaluphagus
Gerbil Elite

Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:53 pm

Have a new Monoprice Mini Delta 3D printer chugging away in the corner of the office now. Hackaday gave it an excellent review back during the summer, and Friday it was on sale for cheap enough that I figured it was worth it even just for the learning opportunity and experience. Setup was simple, onboard interface is pleasantly straightforward. Haven't tried the wireless printing yet, but that'll wait until it's done with the provided test print file. Cool to watch, remarkably fine filaments of plastic being laid down so quickly.

In a worst-case scenario (i.e. I decide I hate it even after the return period has passed), I can always sell it used and recoup some of the cost. In a best-case scenario, I can start printing tiny green toys for my kid during the school day and then feigning ignorance as to where they come from.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:58 am

Chuckaluphagus wrote:
Have a new Monoprice Mini Delta 3D printer chugging away in the corner of the office now. Hackaday gave it an excellent review back during the summer, and Friday it was on sale for cheap enough that I figured it was worth it even just for the learning opportunity and experience. Setup was simple, onboard interface is pleasantly straightforward. Haven't tried the wireless printing yet, but that'll wait until it's done with the provided test print file. Cool to watch, remarkably fine filaments of plastic being laid down so quickly.

In a worst-case scenario (i.e. I decide I hate it even after the return period has passed), I can always sell it used and recoup some of the cost. In a best-case scenario, I can start printing tiny green toys for my kid during the school day and then feigning ignorance as to where they come from.

Let me know what you think. I've been tempted by that one too. My wife does all sorts of crafting with 2d CNC (aka Cricut or Sillhouette) and I have many small ideas for day-to-day stuff that would be cool.

Redocbew
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:19 pm

Recently when acquiring new materials for the woodshop I've been scavenging more, and buying from the lumberyard less. That means starting with pieces that are still whole chunks of a tree, and milling them into boards and blanks myself.

Chainsaws are nifty. :P
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:35 am

Do you have a Saw Mizer or an Alaska Mill? I've always wanted to use something like those to make my own lumber.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:10 pm

Redocbew wrote:
Recently when acquiring new materials for the woodshop I've been scavenging more, and buying from the lumberyard less. That means starting with pieces that are still whole chunks of a tree, and milling them into boards and blanks myself.

Chainsaws are nifty. :P

What do you do for dry-out and warping? Commercial lumber is usually kiln dried.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:41 pm

Just sticker them and cover. You should be fine.

Redocbew

Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:55 pm

Pretty much. I don't have a lot of space for wood storage, so if I'm not going to be working with it right away I'll usually cut it into slabs which are two or three inches thick, raid the scrap bin to make some stickers, and then stack it in a corner somewhere. Sealing the end grain is a good idea also so that it dries uniformly and doesn't check or warp as much.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:17 pm

Redocbew wrote:
Sealing the end grain is a good idea also so that it dries uniformly and doesn't check or warp as much.

Good call. I forgot to mention it. My In-laws had a half-dozen trees felled and took them to the mill. They got quite a bit of wood out of it, rough-sawn. It's been drying for a year or so and is now good to use. We built woodworking shed out it recently. Good stuff.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:31 pm

YOU WORKED WOOD TO BUILD A WOODWORKING SHED BUT HOW DID YOU FIND A PLACE TO WORK THE WOOD WITHOUT A WOODWORKING SHED I'M CONFUSED
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:37 pm

:lol:

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:39 pm

Redocbew wrote:
Pretty much. I don't have a lot of space for wood storage, so if I'm not going to be working with it right away I'll usually cut it into slabs which are two or three inches thick, raid the scrap bin to make some stickers, and then stack it in a corner somewhere. Sealing the end grain is a good idea also so that it dries uniformly and doesn't check or warp as much.

Another novice question, what do you do to seal the ends? Like deck finish, acrylic, something else?
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Redocbew

Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:59 pm

There are products made specifically for it, like Anchorseal, but just about anything that acts like a moisture barrier will work. Latex paint is a cheap and quick way to seal the end grain. I've heard of people using driveway sealer also, since the latex paint doesn't always give you a complete seal.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:28 pm

Well, Gomer's gone, somewhere way back home again in Indiana. RIP.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way ... dies-at-87
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:50 am

Insomnia the night before my first final exam? Don't mind if I do.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:30 am

So 7-11 has "turkey and gravy" flavored potato chips right now... presumably left over from the Thanksgiving holiday. So I grabbed a bag. They're just OK... too much sage (it's the predominant flavor).
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:10 am

The lays "Biscuits and Gravy" chips are amazing. I love them. I fully understand that it is chemical replacements of the actual tastes, but I don't care.

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:27 am

In general 7-11's "weird" flavored chips are decent. Italian sausage, prime rib, sriracha, buffalo chicken, and wasabi soy are all very good.

IMO the hot dog one was weird in a not good way. I guess that and the turkey/gravy one are the two "misses" I've had so far.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:32 pm

For some reason I've had a jelly Bean problem for a week or so now. I don't think I've gone a day without some.
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

Kougar

Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:37 pm

just brew it! wrote:
In general 7-11's "weird" flavored chips are decent. Italian sausage, prime rib, sriracha, buffalo chicken, and wasabi soy are all very good.

Out of curiosity, is that the cheap Wasabi imitation, okay wasabi imitation, or does it use real wasabi? Coke runs a lot of freebie promos with 7-11, including free chips.

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:47 pm

Kougar wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

Out of curiosity, is that the cheap Wasabi imitation, okay wasabi imitation, or does it use real wasabi? Coke runs a lot of freebie promos with 7-11, including free chips.

Real wasabi is expensive. Pretty sure they're using horseradish. Will check the ingredients list next time I have a bag.

The Egg

Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:17 pm

We have an Amazon Business account at my workplace. We have standard M-F business hours. Despite the orders being specifically placed on a Business account, Amazon continually attempts to make deliveries on Saturday and Sunday, while providing no method of defining which hours the business is able to accept deliveries.

When you consider that this must be true for millions of other business accounts, the amount of resources wasted must be phenomenal.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:05 pm

Dashcam update. It's been a while and in the past few weeks i saw a few noteworthy things so i just threw them together in one video.
Notice that the most aggressive cutoff in the second one happens right under the chicago sign. :roll: It's always a free for all there.

When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:52 pm

Heiwashin wrote:
Notice that the most aggressive cutoff in the second one happens right under the chicago sign. :roll: It's always a free for all there.

Ahh, yeah... I-294 South, right by the airport. I've driven that stretch of road many times. Looks like a perfectly normal day on the Tri-State to me.

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:43 am

Had something weird happen last night. A bunch of co-workers were going out for pizza and beer after work, and I decided to join them. I was allergic to something; I'm guessing maybe a substance on the rim of the beer glass. My lower lip started to itch, and swelled up. I was starting to seriously consider finding a nearby drugstore to get some Benadryl, but then it started to go down on its own. No other (i.e. respiratory) symptoms, which is what leads me to believe it was a very localized thing.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:59 am

My guess is it had a drop off the concentrated cleaner used in automated dishwashers.
When drunk.....

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:01 am

Heiwashin wrote:
My guess is it had a drop off the concentrated cleaner used in automated dishwashers.

That sounds plausible.

superjawes

Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:08 am

just brew it! wrote:
Heiwashin wrote:

Ahh, yeah... I-294 South, right by the airport. I've driven that stretch of road many times. Looks like a perfectly normal day on the Tri-State to me.

Frankly, I prefer those drivers to the clueless ones in Tucson. Ex: I've nearly rear ended people who stop on the on ramps.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:12 am

superjawes wrote:
Frankly, I prefer those drivers to the clueless ones in Tucson. Ex: I've nearly rear ended people who stop on the on ramps.

My mother-in-law used to do that. And she lived in Chicago.