Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Re: DYMT: Imi's Legacy

Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:05 am

Someone has a dark sense of humor:

What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:55 pm

Heiwashin wrote:
By the way my training ends Friday so I'm good for something this weekend.

Pleasure meeting you. So far I’m 2 for 2 on TR members being fantastic human beings. We had barbecue in honor of TR.

Redocbew
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:20 am

http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/article180344336.html

News flash: Metal is loud. I've been to this festival at both of the venues mentioned. I imagine the only reason there weren't complaints when they hosted Slipknot is that just happened to be the year they held the festival at Gibson ranch which is in the middle of nowhere.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:37 am

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
Heiwashin wrote:
By the way my training ends Friday so I'm good for something this weekend.

Pleasure meeting you. So far I’m 2 for 2 on TR members being fantastic human beings. We had barbecue in honor of TR.

I was thoroughly defeated in tic tac toe but it was a great time. Next time I'm here I'll definitely call again. Time to get the wheels rolling again
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:50 am

I have a hard time reading things these days. It's not like I can't read, it's that the writing is so indirect.

There's a guy in a relative position to you. He's not doing this one thing and he's not doing that other thing. You won't find him in this fancy place or that fancy place. He's actually in this position at this other place.

And that's where I close the browser tab.

You could have just been concise and said he was there in the place where he is, doing what he does, in the first place. Do you really have to stretch it out? Does that build impact? Maybe for someone else. For me, I've read that exact structure so many times that it's noise.

Unrelated, my project's public-facing inbox got a hilarious email over the weekend. The company's name is coincidentally a common men's first name. So let's say I work for Franklin Tech. I got into this email chain:

Random person wrote:
I need to speak with you immediately. Please contact me asap

Me, after talking to the project's owner wrote:
Good morning,

How can we help?

Ben

Random person's response, with name redacted wrote:
I am trying to get into contact with the developers from this application. Is Franklin Jones​ a part of your team? Or who is Franklin?

There's like 4,000 of us. If Franklin Jones is an employee, I don't know, but if he is he's not on this team. :lol:
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:52 pm

The cable for my Razer turrets charger has gone bad and they don't sell replacements. Guess I'm gonna have to break out some wire and the iron this weekend.
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

Redocbew

Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:28 pm

There's a guy in a relative position to you. He's not doing this one thing and he's not doing that other thing. You won't find him in this fancy place or that fancy place. He's actually in this position at this other place.

I would answer this post, but I'm not writing to answer a post. I'm not writing to a person. I'm not writing to create a thing. It seems clear though that I must write, for why else would I be writing? Perhaps I have some responsibility which requires me to write. Filling space on a page has never had much value. It is strange that it continues to have some perceived value. The amount of space available is no longer an issue, and there's no physical pages involved. However, space-fillers persist. They attempt to fill up any and all available space with stuff. Stuff isn't the best word for it though. Calling it stuff implies that it has substance. Stuff also occupies space. This is non-stuff.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:30 pm

Next time TR does community awards, I'm going to nominate that post right there.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

Vhalidictes
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:35 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
Next time TR does community awards, I'm going to nominate that post right there.

I can't agree with that because I can't interpret what he meant. Was he agreeing? Was he disagreeing? Was he disagreeing ironically? Agreeing ironically? Trying to threadjack? Trying to annoy the original poster? (If so, it worked as far as it annoyed *me*.) Perhaps it was a moment of postmodern poetry.

Actually, the post was significantly less intelligible than most of Trackerben's. I guess it's worth a community award on that merit.

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:28 am

Threadjacking DYMT is not possible, according to the laws of physics.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:29 am

Vhalidictes wrote:

Actually, the post was significantly less intelligible than most of Trackerben's. I guess it's worth a community award on that merit.

I think that's the point. After I read it I feel the exact same feeling I do after reading most news stories, like I read through the fluffing nonsense and found one sentence that could have summed the entire article.
When drunk.....

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:33 am

TIL: One of my co-workers' personal e-mail is a @goatse.cx address. And the name on the account is another (in)famous internet meme for double the fun.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:46 am

just brew it! wrote:
TIL: One of my co-workers' personal e-mail is a @goatse.cx address. And the name on the account is another (in)famous internet meme for double the fun.

Tubgirl?

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:47 am

just brew it! wrote:
Threadjacking DYMT is not possible, according to the laws of physics.

At least not without some serious Treknology and some Heisenberg Compensators.

farmpuma
Location: Soybean field, IN, USA, Earth .. just a bit south of John .. err .... Fart Wayne, Indiana

Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:36 am

It appears that cat urine will attack the coating on some antistatic motherboard bags.
[img]http://[/img] Image
.* * M-51 * *. .The Whirlpool Galaxy. .TV muted, X dual flying birds & a mantra, "Specter be Gone"

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:56 am

RIP Robert Guillaume and Fats Domino, both died at 89 today and yesterday.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:39 am

farmpuma wrote:
It appears that cat urine will attack the coating on some antistatic motherboard bags.

Why are you storing your cats in antistatic bags?
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

DrDominodog51
Gerbil Elite

Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:15 am

ludi wrote:
farmpuma wrote:

Why aren't you storing bags in your cats?
A10-7850K; GA-F2A88XN-WIFI, 16 GB of 2400MHz DDR3, 500 GB Team Group L5 SSD

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:16 pm

Just got an email from corporate reminding us to not plugin an USB thumb drive we found in a shopping center parking lot or at a trade show/convention.

Would hate to be the guy that sparked that reminder.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:21 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
Just got an email from corporate reminding us to not plugin an USB thumb drive we found in a shopping center parking lot or at a trade show/convention.

Would hate to be the guy that sparked that reminder.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/04/1 ... nd_drives/

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:42 pm

That's insane, but I guess that's what people are.

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:41 pm

My employer outsources security testing, so there's a company they've hired that sends simulated phishing e-mails to random employees, to see who clicks on the links.

Problem is, many legit corporate e-mails look at least as fishy (if not more so) than the fake ones, since they sometimes come from outside domains of other companies they've outsourced stuff too.

My reaction to this is to completely ignore any even slightly suspicious looking e-mails, unless someone (typically my supervisor) follows up and says "Hey, you need to fill out that survey HR sent you a couple of weeks ago... I just got an e-mail from them asking why nobody has done it yet."

Kougar

Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:52 pm

So Amazon's Alexa is apparently killing it.

Jeff Bezos wrote:
In the last month alone, we’ve launched five new Alexa-enabled devices, introduced Alexa in India, announced integration with BMW, surpassed 25,000 skills, integrated Alexa with Sonos speakers, taught Alexa to distinguish between two voices, and more.

The "and more" includes Microsoft capitulating and agreeing to link Cortana to Alexa, so they can talk to each other to cross-reference personal calendars, scheduling, emails, and of course anything Amazon. Soon as Siri joins that network I guess the path to our AI overlords can begin.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:02 am

Kougar wrote:
Soon as Siri joins that network I guess the path to our AI overlords can begin.

That just seems super unlikely. Apple likes to segregate itself and work with as few outside forces as possible. The Siri speaker means that Apple and Google are competitors, not cooperating. Microsoft isn't in the "smart home" category yet, so linking Cortana (on Windows) to Alexa (on everything else) makes sense.

Chuckaluphagus
Gerbil Elite

Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:55 am

DrDominodog51 wrote:
ludi wrote:
farmpuma wrote:

But never more than one per bag.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:16 am

Chuckaluphagus wrote:
DrDominodog51 wrote:
ludi wrote:

But never more than one per bag.

you can't store a bag in multiple cats without cutting it up.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:39 am

Ugh. Don't get old, fat, or both.

Been having issues with tingling/numbness in my feet recently (and no, I'm not diabetic; blood work 2x/year), so primary sent me to a neurologist. Testing nerve function is straight out of medieval dungeons. Slap some electrodes on my feet, then hit me with the juice at measured points further up the leg and measure the transmission time. Had a second appointment today with more of the same. I'm beginning to understand why the dog honors the invisible fence boundary wire, and I would have failed the gom jabbar.

Today's doc: Well, we need to do some further testing by using needles in your muscles to eliminate skin/fat from the test and this has to be done in the hospital. Joy. Stick needles in me and run current between them. I'm reminded of the medical testing scenes in The Right Stuff. At least they're finally going to MRI my back (which has hurt for a decade). Add to that the every-3-year "fickle finger of fate" after Thankgiving and I'm spending lots of health dollars in Q4.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:41 am

derFunkenstein wrote:

Schrödinger might disagree.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:35 am

Captain Ned wrote:
derFunkenstein wrote:

Schrödinger might disagree.

That guy didn't like cats. He might have stored one cat in multiple bags.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:41 am

Captain Ned wrote:
Stick needles in me and run current between them.

Sounds like a set up for super powers to me. Cross your fingers you might get lucky.
When drunk.....