Personal computing discussed

Moderators: Captain Ned, emkubed

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Re: DYMT: Imi's Legacy

Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:25 pm

48 years ago today and at roughly this hour I was but a wee lad in footy pajamas watching a blurry B&W TV image of Neil Armstrong bunny-hopping down the ladder of Eagle. If you had told me then that the whole thing would be over by 1972 I simply would not have believed you.
If the Earth were flat, cats would have pushed everything off of it by now.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:41 pm

There is a chance that those days will mark the crowning achievement of mankind for all time and that we'll be unable to ever surpass it.
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:48 pm

Heiwashin wrote:
There is a chance that those days will mark the crowning achievement of mankind for all time and that we'll be unable to ever surpass it.

I remain reasonably optimistic and hopeful that Elon Musk or another entrepreneur will belie that statement. Bob knows no gov't-funded effort will ever get there, for the simple reason that Apollo-level funding just will never happen again.

ludi
Darth Gerbil

Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:02 am

This is how a house says "I'll own your weekend:"

That's what's left of the standpipe collar for the master restroom's throne, after I picked up some of the larger loose pieces. Yes, there's water damage and black mold in the underlay. And the subfloor. And the living room ceiling. I really hate popcorn texture; that funny spot only just started showing up in the ceiling after this leak had silently saturated a 30" x 20" section of drywall.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:25 am

That's when I say: "I'll write a check".

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:36 am

How to tell if you're old?

http://lileks.com/institute/permanent/living/10.html

If you see that pic and instantly know what it is, how it works, and what is its source material, you're old (like me).

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:38 am

Well I can understand what it is by looking at it, but I don't think I've ever seen one.
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:00 am

I think we've still got one on a shelf in the garage somewhere. Was probably last used about 2 decades ago.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:14 am

just brew it! wrote:
I think we've still got one on a shelf in the garage somewhere. Was probably last used about 2 decades ago.

I have no doubt whatsoever that Dad has hardware for both in-line and carousel versions of that technology.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:29 am

I also grew up in the era when filmstrip projectors were commonly used in elementary schools. The company that made them is located in the Chicago area, and is still around. When I interviewed there back in the 1990s they had a display case in the lobby with a gold-plated filmstrip projector in it.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:35 am

Here we go again. 180mph this time.
When drunk.....

The Egg
Gold subscriber
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:40 am

just brew it! wrote:
I also grew up in the era when filmstrip projectors were commonly used in elementary schools. The company that made them is located in the Chicago area, and is still around. When I interviewed there back in the 1990s they had a display case in the lobby with a gold-plated filmstrip projector in it.

I remember watching stuff on film projector at least somewhat regularly in our elementary school, up and through the late 80's. It probably had to do with VCRs still being somewhat expensive, or the teacher just didn't have access to what they wanted to play on VHS. I imagine that areas of the country with poor school budgets were/are using film projectors for much longer than should be considered reasonable.

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:58 am

The Egg wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
I remember watching stuff on film projector at least somewhat regularly in our elementary school, up and through the late 80's. It probably had to do with VCRs still being somewhat expensive, or the teacher just didn't have access to what they wanted to play on VHS. I imagine that areas of the country with poor school budgets were/are using film projectors for much longer than should be considered reasonable.

We had an old (even at that time) Ampex reel-to-reel video recorder/player at my high school. We also had the swanky filmstrip projectors that had a cassette player integrated into them which would both provide the audio and cue the advance to the next frame. Teachers never did figure out how to make sure they were in sync at the start, so every class had an A/V geek (hello!!) who made sure things went right. I also got really good with 16mm movie projectors.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:06 am

The Egg wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

Movie projector or filmstrip? As the Cap'n notes, 16mm movie projectors were quite common too. Filmstrips were not motion video; they were more like a pre-recorded PowerPoint presentation, implemented with 1960s-era tech.

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:37 am

just brew it! wrote:
Filmstrips were not motion video; they were more like a pre-recorded PowerPoint presentation, implemented with 1960s-era tech.

So DuKane can sue Microsoft for patent infringement? That connection simply never occurred to me until your post. Filmstrips WERE slow-motion PowerPoint.

I will admit to missing the extreme analog experience of a 16mm projector. During my college years we had one at the fraternity house and the local town library could get 16mm films through the inter-library loan system. During Pledge Week we would show a varied assortment of 16mm films from TOS Star Trek episodes (yes, they were printed to 16mm) to WWII-era "hygiene training" films. I will never forget Gen. Gonorrhea or Sgt. Syphilis. There's something about the mechanical chatter of a 16mm projector that, to this day, is something I consider calming.

We always ended Pledge Week with the 2-reel Hemo the Magnificent

The Egg
Gold subscriber
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:42 am

just brew it! wrote:
The Egg wrote:

Movie projector or filmstrip? As the Cap'n notes, 16mm movie projectors were quite common too. Filmstrips were not motion video; they were more like a pre-recorded PowerPoint presentation, implemented with 1960s-era tech.

I want to say there was a bit of both. I do remember seeing a few fancier models with the integrated cassette player, but some of the hardware could have easily been original from the 60's. Timeframe would've been roughly 1985-91, and it was a fairly small elementary school (~200 kids). Not poorly funded, but VCRs would've still been expensive in the early part, and probably not a budget priority. I do remember a top-loading VHS player in the library though, and I'm sure there were a few more by the end (I wasn't paying close attention).

anotherengineer
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:49 am

Captain Ned wrote:
How to tell if you're old?

http://lileks.com/institute/permanent/living/10.html

If you see that pic and instantly know what it is, how it works, and what is its source material, you're old (like me).

Hey my grandmother had one of those things :)
Life doesn't change after marriage, it changes after children!

ludi
Darth Gerbil

Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:21 am

Captain Ned wrote:
That's when I say: "I'll write a check".

My back is about two decades younger than yours, and contractors in Denver metro are busy and expensive right now. Doesn't mean I wasn't sore, though.

In any case as of 11pm Saturday the work to the restroom was substantially complete including reinforcement to the subfloor, new 5mm plywood underlay, a stainless steel floor ring, new interlocking vinyl surface, and the new throne installed with one of those combo silicone/plastic/wax gasket contraptions that's supposed to be resistant to the destructive effects of minor shifting. We shall see.

The remaining baseboard, and final repairs to the temporarily-covered living room ceiling, shall wait until next weekend.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

ludi
Darth Gerbil

Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:03 am

Ursus americanus has reviewed the Honda Element and strongly objected to certain security features.

Jigar
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:13 am

Never seen a path-hole on Gujarat's India freeway since 5 years, but yesterday i was greeted with not one but two. Bent 2 rims and 2 tires busted of VW Polo. Luckily the car didn't lose control (was doing 70 miles per hour) and support services help us reach home.

ludi
Darth Gerbil

Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:59 pm

Surprisingly graceful decent into Midway. The last time I connected through here, it felt like the final 20 seconds of a Calvin & Hobbes toboggan ride.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:08 pm

Yeah, airport in the middle of a residential neighborhood makes for short runways and steep descents/ascents...

I'm stuck at the DMV. Time to renew my license, have to do everything except the road test. Been here 2+ hours so far, not done yet.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:29 pm

just brew it! wrote:
I'm stuck at the DMV. Time to renew my license, have to do everything except the road test. Been here 2+ hours so far, not done yet.

More of the DMV process needs to be computerized. How about we privatize it and let some competitors spring up and see how good it gets. Although it is interesting to me that the USPS is the only one that touches Sunday residential deliveries.
When drunk.....

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:37 pm

Heiwashin wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

More of the DMV process needs to be computerized. How about we privatize it and let some competitors spring up and see how good it gets. Although it is interesting to me that the USPS is the only one that touches Sunday residential deliveries.

Unless you count Amazon's own delivery drivers (I assume they are part-time contractors). I've had random people pull up in front of my house and deliver Amazon packages on Sundays a few times.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:18 pm

I got one of those"random dude in a 1995 Civic" drivers too on a same day. It's a little weird.
When drunk.....

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:11 pm

Heiwashin wrote:
I got one of those"random dude in a 1995 Civic" drivers too on a same day. It's a little weird.

Hope he had fake V-TEC stickers.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:13 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
Hope he had fake V-TEC stickers.

Right under the aftermarket spoiler. :lol:
When drunk.....

superjawes
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:15 pm

Heiwashin wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

Totally depends on the state. I'm pretty sure there is some weird privatization going on here in AZ, but that doesn't seem to help things run any smoother than my experience in Indiana and Illinois. Speaking of, Indiana (of all states) got super savvy about online registration renewals...I still get emails from IN-BMV.

IL, OTOH, does not have a dedicated department/bureau for motor vehicles. It's under the Secretary of State, and it felt like that structure impedes the state's ability to improve the "DMV experience."
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. Tis a silly place.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:34 pm

Has anyone else accidentally stuck their finger in a light socket when they were a kid. I still remember the distinct vibration feeling. Ah the good ole days(that i somehow managed to survive).
When drunk.....

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:49 am

Heiwashin wrote:
Has anyone else accidentally stuck their finger in a light socket when they were a kid. I still remember the distinct vibration feeling. Ah the good ole days(that i somehow managed to survive).

My sister still keeps the coin she tried to shove into a wall outlet at about age 2, complete with a pair of arc scars on the coin, as a reminder not to do that again.

My personal 2 worsts: I ran the light booth for high school plays. It was old, unsafe, and ran off 277V three-phase power. I somehow got a full shot of that in one arm while not touching any part that anyone would think to be carrying line voltage. I woke up a couple of minutes later on the other side of the booth. After that, 120V is only like picking up a hot bowl out of the microwave. The other was an attempt to fix a fluorescent ceiling fixture that should have been replaced. I couldn't get the tube to stay in between the sockets so, like an idiot (and I remember thinking it was a bad idea as I did it), I reached up and pushed the sockety things together to better hold the tube. Yep, both arms, high voltage straight through the heart, and a good tumble off a stepladder in the middle of a busy office. Thank Bob I was but 20-something and relatively fit (at least compared to today) at the time.

That said, I routinely work in my home circuit breaker panel without throwing the main disconnect. However, I stand on a rubber mat and always keep one hand behind my back. I'm just dumb, not stupid.