Personal computing discussed

Moderators: Captain Ned, emkubed

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Re: DYMT: Imi's Legacy

Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:53 am

When I was a toddler I chewed through a lamp cord. I don't remember the incident but it is part of family folklore.

More recently, I had one of those Cree LED bulbs decide that it didn't want its glass globe any more. Just fell off. Not sure what I was thinking (probably something like "LEDs are low voltage, what could go wrong?") but my first reaction was to try and unscrew the remains of the bulb. With the fixture still energized. Not only is there apparently a lot of voltage exposed when the globe is off, the LEDs run VERY hot. Got a decent jolt AND burned my fingers.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:02 am

just brew it! wrote:
Yeah, airport in the middle of a residential neighborhood makes for short runways and steep descents/ascents...
Not quite, descents in to Midway are the standard 3 degree glideslope https://skyvector.com/airport/MDW/Chica ... al-Airport

London City airport was originally a 7.5 degree glideslope, but then they extended the runway and backed off the glideslope to 5.5 degrees https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_Ci ... _extension
It's still very limited in terms of what aircraft and which captains are certified to fly in there.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:22 am

notfred wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
Yeah, airport in the middle of a residential neighborhood makes for short runways and steep descents/ascents...

Not quite, descents in to Midway are the standard 3 degree glideslope https://skyvector.com/airport/MDW/Chica ... al-Airport

Ahh, OK. I stand corrected. I do believe the runways are shorter than is typical for a modern airport though, and there's no margin for error since it is surrounded on all sides by city streets with little or no overrun area at the ends of the runways.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southwest ... light_1248
https://goo.gl/maps/sqigyLjQVu72

pikaporeon
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:28 am

Captain Ned wrote:
How to tell if you're old?

http://lileks.com/institute/permanent/living/10.html

If you see that pic and instantly know what it is, how it works, and what is its source material, you're old (like me).

Hey I'm only 29!

.. but I mean my grandparents have to show me slides somehow right?
Hey girl you want a bad boy? I overclock my backup servers.
i5-6600K@4.2ghz | R9 380X | 16 GB RAM | BX100 500 GB
Sempron 2650@1.45GHZ | 2 GB RAM | 6 TB | FreeBSD 10

Vhalidictes
Gold subscriber
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:34 am

I too had all kinds of fun times with house A/C as a child, but that's not the most memorable thing that's happened.

I was working on a PC and got a really nasty jolt. It was turned off, and the power supply was disconnected. I was very shaken up and worried that something was really wrong with the PSU...

Yeah, turns out that I grabbed onto one of those old "double shot" modems and took 2x the analog phone line current. Up until that point I didn't even know that was a thing. Deeply unpleasant though.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:39 am

There shouldn't be enough voltage on a phone line to give you a shock unless the line is ringing. In which case, the voltage can be quite substantial (nearly the equivalent of AC line voltage). Comes from needing to force enough current to activate an electro-mechanical bell through several miles of thin-gauge copper wire. :wink:

Vhalidictes
Gold subscriber
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:47 am

just brew it! wrote:
There shouldn't be enough voltage on a phone line to give you a shock unless the line is ringing. In which case, the voltage can be quite substantial (nearly the equivalent of AC line voltage). Comes from needing to force enough current to activate an electro-mechanical bell through several miles of thin-gauge copper wire. :wink:

JBI, given that both lines were connected to the modem, and the timeframe (8pm on a Saturday in the mid 90's), it's very possible that a call came in just as I was pulling the modem card.

Interesting information for sure! In any case it's my fault for not disconnecting the lines first.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:56 pm

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:28 pm

Hmm that has more rich dynamics than anything I hear recently produced for popular consumption.
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:56 pm

Heiwashin wrote:
Hmm that has more rich dynamics than anything I hear recently produced for popular consumption.

Go get yourself a proper pipe organ recording and play it back on a system with a beefy amp and woofers that can realistically hit 25-30 Hz.
If the Earth were flat, cats would have pushed everything off of it by now.

Redocbew
Gold subscriber
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:13 pm

To this day I'm convinced Bach wrote that song on a day where he was pissed off at the neighbors.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:26 pm

Redocbew wrote:
To this day I'm convinced Bach wrote that song on a day where he was pissed off at the neighbors.

Don't forget that JS Bach was himself an organist who composed a whole lot of liturgical/sacred music (c.f. his Passions and Masses). Even in Lutheran churches of the day, the masses needed some reminding of the ultimate power of God and if the opening of Toccata & Fugue (BWV 565) doesn't say "this is God speaking", what the hell else does? The opening descends into the low bass-driven (most large pipe organs have their lowest pipes tuned to 16 Hz) diminished seventh chord that then resolves to D major. That is sin, punishment, and redemption in the course of 20 seconds (throughout most of classical music history minor/diminished chords=bad, major chords=good).

Its use in Hollywood dates back to the Silent era, back when theatres had organs where organists played what they thought fitted the scene. My personal copy is this one. My Dad always speaks of E. Powers Biggs (a renowned organ recording artist of the 50's-70's). I've got the amp and the requisite speakers. Sometimes, when I'm home alone, I will drop this into the CD player and crank the volume just until the "Soft Clipping" lights on the NAD amp start to flicker, then back off a notch. The dog & cats hate this time. The whole house trembles with the bass power of a mighty pipe organ. I try not to cackle maniacally. It is glorious.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:28 pm

Redocbew wrote:

I've wondered something similar about the closing movements of some of Beethoven's piano sonatas as well. #14 ("Moonlight"), #23 ("Appasionata") and #29 ("Hammerklavier") come to mind. Such agitated music...

"Hammerklavier" is also notable among Beethoven's piano sonatas in that it is one of the few to show a very clear Bach influence. The final movement consists (mostly) of a monstrous fugue, albeit a mutant and twisted one that seems on the brink of going off the rails at times. I've always thought of it as "Bach on drugs".

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:40 am

just brew it! wrote:
"Hammerklavier" is also notable among Beethoven's piano sonatas in that it is one of the few to show a very clear Bach influence. The final movement consists (mostly) of a monstrous fugue, albeit a mutant and twisted one that seems on the brink of going off the rails at times. I've always thought of it as "Bach on drugs".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwZsDzGY1XA

Start at 36:57. Oh, and it's Daniel Barenboim.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:17 pm

I'm back at the place that set a new bar for reasonable priced amazing food. Going to see if it's consistent. The cool thing is I'm gonna be in this area for the next week doing some hot shotting so I might be eating here a lot. Funny enough the half owner bartender remembered me too. Let's see how this goes.
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:46 pm

I'd pay 50$ for a meal from this place and still feel like I got away cheap. Instead I got away with 25 for an app, beer, and salmon. What a steal. I wish I could buy into their business or something.
When drunk.....

Mr Bill
Gold subscriber
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:20 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

It does somewhat resemble a Bach toccota/fugue in places.
X6 1100T BE | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ | XFX HD 7870 | 16 GB DDR3 | Samsung 830/850 Pro SSD's | Logitech cherry MX-brown G710+ | Logitech G303 Daedalus Apex mouse | SeaSonic SS-660XP 80+ Pt | BenQ 24' 1900x1200 IPS | APC Back-UPS NS-1350 | WinXP64 Pro

JustAnEngineer
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:42 pm

i7-6700K, NT06-Pro, GA-Z170N-Gaming5, 32 GiB, RX Vega56, SM951, 5TB HDD, Blu-ray, FTZ01, SX600-G, C32HG70, RK-9000BR, MX518

Redocbew
Gold subscriber
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:43 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
Oh, and it's Daniel Barenboim.

Having grown up playing classical piano I feel I can say with some authority: Daniel Barenboim is badass.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:02 pm

Mr Bill wrote:
Captain Ned wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

It does somewhat resemble a Bach toccota/fugue in places.

Yeah... he bases things on the formal fugue form, but then goes on to take quite a few liberties with it. And Bach would've never written something so dissonant. I imagine it was quite startling to audiences of Beethoven's time. It is still considered to be one of the most difficult piano pieces ever written, and musicologists have even speculated that Beethoven's metronome was mis-calibrated because parts of it border on impossible if you follow his tempo markings.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:14 pm

Redocbew wrote:
Captain Ned wrote:
Oh, and it's Daniel Barenboim.

Having grown up playing classical piano I feel I can say with some authority: Daniel Barenboim is badass.

Andras Schiff is pretty badass too. I have the full cycle of 32 sonatas both by Barenboim and Schiff. I prefer Schiff's versions, but my Barenboim recordings are from very early in his career (IIRC recorded when he was in his 20s). I know he's recorded the whole cycle again at least once since then, but I have not heard the later version(s).

AMD64Blondie
Gerbil First Class

Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:06 am

It's my 34th birthday tomorrow.

Also,since I have a lot of vacation days backed up...I took Monday,Tuesday,and Wednesday off next week from work.

Yay me...

derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:55 pm

Happy bday. I also take off the week of my birthday, because it's already a short week so spending four days out of my 20 isn't a huge hit. I also always take off Thanksgiving week and the week between Christmas and New Year's Day. That still leaves me three weeks to play with the rest of the year.
"And and if you start to bleed, stop wiping." -whm1974

Redocbew
Gold subscriber
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:36 pm

Broke a router bit in the shop today. It was a cheap bit, in a new router, and I was hogging out a lot of material. Fortunately it didn't become a projectile and stayed in the cut. Just one of those things that makes you think: Hmm, high velocity jagged steel. Awesome.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:07 pm

The nose hair in my right nostril grows way to fast. Meanwhile the left nostril seemingly has no growth. Also some of my nose hairs are white. I don't mean grey, I mean no visible pigmentation at all. Anyway I'm going to go back to pulling them out now.
When drunk.....

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:27 pm

Heiwashin wrote:
The nose hair in my right nostril grows way to fast. Meanwhile the left nostril seemingly has no growth.

Probably means you pick your nose without realizing it (but left nostril only). :lol:

Heiwashin wrote:
Also some of my nose hairs are white. I don't mean grey, I mean no visible pigmentation at all. Anyway I'm going to go back to pulling them out now.

I started getting those when I hit ~40. Which is (probably not coincidentally) around the same time that single-prescription eyeglasses stopped being adequate for all situations. :-?

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:39 pm

I should be ahead of the curve at 30 then. Well, a lot of my hair changed color within a month if my first known extreme diabetic high. I wasnt aware I was diabetic at the time and when I got it figured out my sugar was so high it wouldn't register on any test meter. Took months to regain feeling in my hands and fix the blurred vision too. Ima go on a limb and say I'm at least 40 in life expectancy years so maybe I'm on track. :lol:
When drunk.....

farmpuma
Silver subscriber
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Location: Soybean field, IN, USA, Earth .. just a bit south of John .. err .... Fart Wayne, Indiana

Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:03 am

Glad you are still here with us. At 45 my brother wasn't so lucky. After he passed out the EMT measured his at 1200 and said anything over 600 is potentially deadly. He never came out of the coma.
Image Image
.* * M-51 * *. .The Whirlpool Galaxy.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:44 am

I don't know how high it really was but I know I blacked out several times and became severely dehydrated. Sorry about your brother. I could see how that kind of thing would happen, i was probably close. The whole time I originally was just thinking I had a really strong virus or something. It messes with your head, like at the time I couldn't understand the seriousness of all the combined symptoms.

Couldn't feel my hands, two of fingers had lost the ability to fully close, vision blurred so I could just barely still read, and walking ten feet was more exhausting and daunting than running a mile while out of shape. Still I was thinking I was just sick because of the tunnel vision like haze it created in my head. So i went and bought a liter of orange juice and a 2 litter of 7up and downed them. When I woke up from the blackout some hours later I started putting the pieces together.

The craziest thing is, all of those major symptoms set in to that extreme over night. The only noticeable symptoms before that point is that I was using the restroom every 30 minutes or less with extreme urgency and that one of my fingers felt like something was on it all the time like a piece of tape.

I keep an eye out for people that mention these kinds of symptoms even the very early ones and try to mention the possibility of diabetes. It's been 4 or 5 people and only one took the idea seriously.
When drunk.....

derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:27 am

Back in January I went to the doctor for the first time in many moons. My fasting blood sugar was 149 and my A1C was 6.5. I was prescribed diet and exercise. I managed to get one of those things right - I walk 10-13 miles a week first thing in the morning (spread over 3-4 mornings a week) and I managed to lose around 12 pounds. But my diet didn't change much and my A1C wasn't any better. I'm still being prescribed diet and exercise, but I'm also being referred to a dietician. I'm 39, and in my doctor's words, "You're young. You'll be OK."

I gotta find a way to curb my appetite. I can eat well for 2-3 weeks at a time, but I get hungry and I cave. It should be nothing more than mind-over-matter, so to speak, but so far my mind has not mattered. :lol:
"And and if you start to bleed, stop wiping." -whm1974