Personal computing discussed

Moderators: Captain Ned, emkubed

ludi
Darth Gerbil

Re: DYMT: Imi's Legacy

Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:20 am

JBI, front page ninja:

Cleared the entire board and did it with comments from a single thread. Nice work! :D
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:35 am

TBH it surprised me that those posts got so many upvotes. A significant chunk of the comments on that article are basically just me getting into pissing matches with torquer and AMDIsDEC...
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:38 am

just brew it! wrote:
TBH it surprised me that those posts got so many upvotes. A significant chunk of the comments on that article are basically just me getting into pissing matches with torquer and AMDIsDEC...

Half the reason i come here is to watch pissing matches. Glorious has provided me endless hours of entertainment.
:lol:
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

ludi
Darth Gerbil

Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:42 am

just brew it! wrote:

You were the signal to their noise.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:48 pm

just brew it! wrote:

And that's why it shouldn't surprise you. AMDisDEC is TR's favorite whipping post because he's...well, he's weird in a creepy way.
"And and if you start to bleed, stop wiping." -whm1974

Redocbew
Gold subscriber
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:19 pm

Ugh. Persistent muscle twitches are annoying.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

Kougar
Silver subscriber
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:55 pm

Redocbew wrote:
Ugh. Persistent muscle twitches are annoying.

Pop a multivitamin? At least it works for me once in the bloodstream, stops it from persisting.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:12 am

For me, twitches/cramps are a sign that I'm dehydrated. They usually hit at about 4:00 AM, which is pretty darned annoying -- not a pleasant way to wake up. Glass of water before bed seems to help prevent them, especially if I've had any alcohol in the evening.

The Egg
Gold subscriber
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:32 am

I think a scientific study needs to be done on Dunkin Donuts. I'd like to know how the same group of employees, using the same coffee source, equipment, and preparation methods can make a cup of black coffee taste different every time. How is that possible?

Chuckaluphagus
Silver subscriber
Gerbil Elite

Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:50 am

The Egg wrote:
I think a scientific study needs to be done on Dunkin Donuts. I'd like to know how the same group of employees, using the same coffee source, equipment, and preparation methods can make a cup of black coffee taste different every time. How is that possible?

I'm not a fan of Dunkin Donuts' coffee. It's usually weak, stale, acidic, or any combination of the three - I think they've let a lot of their actual quality control measures for the coffee itself slip. They've pushed the flavored syrups and whatever godforsaken "-cino" is being marketed at the moment, and those will mask the flavor of bad coffee.

If I'm running through fast food and want a cup of coffee, I much prefer McDonald's to Dunkin. It's consistently decent.

The Egg
Gold subscriber

Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:07 am

Chuckaluphagus wrote:
The Egg wrote:

I'm not a fan of Dunkin Donuts' coffee. It's usually weak, stale, acidic, or any combination of the three - I think they've let a lot of their actual quality control measures for the coffee itself slip. They've pushed the flavored syrups and whatever godforsaken "-cino" is being marketed at the moment, and those will mask the flavor of bad coffee.

If I'm running through fast food and want a cup of coffee, I much prefer McDonald's to Dunkin. It's consistently decent.

They're not my first choice by any means, but we have one a minute away from work. I'd say that out of 4 cups of (black) coffee, one is good, one is acceptable, and two are barely drinkable (and I'm far from a coffee snob). I just don't understand how there's so much variation when you consider how much volume they're producing. Those guys should be like machines at this point.

superjawes
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:17 am

The Egg wrote:

The coffee could be sitting for different periods of time, employees could be cleaning at irregular intervals, the equipment may or may not be properly warmed up, and they could be (are probably) ignoring corporate guidelines for both.

Same thing happens with the coffee machine in my office. The burners just stay on basically all day, so the cup you pour could be from a pot 5 minutes old or 2+ hours old, and the warmer may or may not be hot for the coffee that's been sitting. I'm also not sure how often the carafes get cleaned. Oh, and different people use different amounts of grounds. I think most people here use one packet, which barely covers a filter, so I always use two packets. I think that makes for a better tasting pot.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. Tis a silly place.

derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:33 pm

superjawes wrote:
Oh, and different people use different amounts of grounds.

Definitely a danger in the office, but this should not happen in a restaurant environment. I've done my time hopping tables and cooking greasy grilled sandwiches, and the ground coffee was always pre-portioned in an effort to control costs on a per-cup or per-pot basis.

Everything else you mentioned is very likely, though, from cleaning to how long it's been sitting.

The Egg
Gold subscriber

Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:06 pm

superjawes wrote:
The coffee could be sitting for different periods of time, employees could be cleaning at irregular intervals, the equipment may or may not be properly warmed up, and they could be (are probably) ignoring corporate guidelines for both.

I dunno....those seem like decent explanations, but I'll often get a lousy cup even during the peak morning rush, when there's no time for cleaning, and the coffee is going as fast as they can make it. I see the same group of employees, so you'd think they could do this with a blindfold on.

ludi
Darth Gerbil

Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:58 pm

The Egg wrote:
I dunno....those seem like decent explanations, but I'll often get a lousy cup even during the peak morning rush, when there's no time for cleaning, and the coffee is going as fast as they can make it. I see the same group of employees, so you'd think they could do this with a blindfold on.

Betcha someone is just throwing a few fresh grounds in the filter and running it twice to save effort. Or possibly using bagged coffee and not resealing the bags, so they sit open and get stale.

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:36 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vn-csFKhQCg

The first of three teaser "short films" to bridge the gap between the original Blade Runner (1982) and Blade Runner 2049. Between these and the trailers to date, I REALLY hope this flick doesn't suck. You young 'uns will never grasp this, but to us old farts the original was as revolutionary as 2001.

Oh, and the fact that Deckard is alive in 2049? Not a replicant.
If the Earth were flat, cats would have pushed everything off of it by now.

Glorious
Gold subscriber
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:54 am

Captain Ned wrote:
Oh, and the fact that Deckard is alive in 2049? Not a replicant.

The movie's thematic structure completely doesn't make sense if he is.

Consider: the driving dichotomy is that the replicants have humanity whereas those who hunt them do not: the replicants have a family together, Deckard does not. They are just trying to survive, Deckard is paid to "retire" them. It gets blatant, Roy *SAVES* Deckard and then immediately dies prosaically lamenting (and even then still stoically) that nothing he does he will be remembered. :o

Deckard is left, much like the audience, with a LOT to reflect upon...

...unless he too is a replicant, in which event the entire theme of everything makes no sense: "Are androids hum--, wait, are we?" or "Do we necessarily lose our humanity trying to make sure our creations don't find theirs?" --NVM Deckard is replicant too lol. What? huh, Themes? You mean shooting cool guns and noir?

Ford says, rightfully, that his character is not replicant. This is one of the things where the "word of god" is belied by his own sacred texts.

---

tl;dr: If you think that Deckard is a replicant, or find such an idea attractive, congrats. You just failed *my* Voight-Kampff test. :wink:

Vhalidictes
Gold subscriber
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:17 am

Glorious, I never subscribed to that replicant-Deckard theory, but considering the original movie as a stand-alone work, it *could* have been possible.

Although you'd lose the "difference between androids and humans" idea, you'd gain / retain "what makes people human" concept, in fact the idea of replicants on both sides enhanced that idea. I do agree that the plot as filmed doesn't go out of its way to support that concept.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:57 pm

Anyone who claims Linux/ext4 doesn't have issues with file system fragmentation is full of sh*t. </day-job>

Vhalidictes
Gold subscriber
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:04 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Anyone who claims Linux/ext4 doesn't have issues with file system fragmentation is full of sh*t. </day-job>

My question as a Linux noob is: What can you do about it? IIRC there isn't a good defrag solution for EXT4...

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:16 pm

Vhalidictes wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

My question as a Linux noob is: What can you do about it? IIRC there isn't a good defrag solution for EXT4...

It doesn't seem to be a big issue for "normal" workloads. We don't have a normal workload. :wink:

There's a tool to defragment individual files (e4defrag).

There doesn't seem to be a good way to defragment free space (i.e. make all the free space contiguous). You can copy all of the data off, delete everything (or reformat), then copy everything back. Or if you need to do it in place (i.e. no spare drive with enough capacity), you could offline the file system, shrink the partition so that it is just large enough to contain the files in it, then expand the partition back to its original size. The shrink operation necessarily shifts all of the existing files towards the start of the partition; then when you expand the partition back to its original size, all of the free space is at the end of the partition and contiguous.

None of this matters much for SSDs, of course... it's only a potential problem if you've got mechanical storage.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:26 pm

I don't know what the big deal is. I love when my hard drive spends 20ms a pop jumping around on the disk a few hundred times just to load a picture.
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

Vhalidictes
Gold subscriber
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:30 pm

Heiwashin wrote:
I don't know what the big deal is. I love when my hard drive spends 20ms a pop jumping around on the disk a few hundred times just to load a picture.

That's.... really interesting, Heiwashin. It's been a very long time since I tested... the folder. Probably before Windows 7, definitely pre-SSD.

"We are here at (insert name of four-star computer), where we've secretly replaced the fine folder they usually open with '40,000 File Folder'. Let's see if anyone can tell the difference!"

captaintrav
Gerbil First Class

Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:06 pm

just brew it! wrote:

I've got some volumes that were quite full of large files that got quite bad. I've had some success with https://vleu.net/shake/ once I've cleared some free space.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:47 pm

Vhal you just made me realize that i've never been to rhode island. I thought i had reached every contiguous state except california but i was wrong. I don't think i'll ever go there either. Is there any chance you guys have a lot of corn or cotton fields there so i can deliver you some john deere. :lol:
When drunk.....

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:03 pm

Not unless Deere makes commercial fishing boats.

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:16 pm

Aw, crap, crap, crap (and many other unmentionables)

Scout didn't survive. There's a few here who know what I mean (I hope).

derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:35 am

The phone book came today. I don't know anybody that still uses it, but it's pretty hilarious.

My wife's grandfather died in 2007, and her grandmother got rid of that line in 2013. He's listed with that non-working number.
My grandma moved into a nursing home in 2013 and my aunt disconnected her line. She's listed with that non-working number.
My sister and I are listed with my mom and dad's phone number. Which maybe explains why sometimes people call and ask for us.
My dad's uncle died in 2012, and the aunt died not long after. He's also still listed with what has to be a disconnected number.

The list goes on. This is just our family, and it's hilarious. Does nobody check with the phone companies on these things?

Glorious
Gold subscriber
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:46 am

These days? I sincerely doubt it.

I can't tell you the last time I've even looked at either the white OR yellow phonebook, over a decade at least?

I've never had a landline personally either.

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:35 pm

The subject of daughter's panicked help call last night. Thankfully, her college is all of 34 miles away, so I grabbed one of her snows and headed out. Left it in her trunk and a tire gauge and note on the driver's seat. Haven't heard back yet, but she does know how to change tires. The claim is backing into a lamp post. My guess is alcohol-related and, if it is, she got off damn easy for the first such encounter.