Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

Redocbew
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: DYMT: Imi's Legacy

Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:42 pm

From the looks of it that would have had to be one seriously badass lamp post.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:45 pm

My daughter somehow managed to do that to both passenger side tires a couple of years ago.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:08 pm

Mind you, daughter is driving her maternal grandmother's car (2002 Accord). This is what I saw 10 years ago when it was still Gramma's car (and, even then, the snows lived in my garage, which is why it ended up in my driveway).

When I got to the car yesterday I texted my first linked photo to the wife with the caption "Alma Mk. II" (Alma=Gramma).
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:11 pm

One of my sisters was a known tire menace in college. IIRC she popped at least two on curbs in separate incidents, and managed to find a half-dozen nails besides, all in a four-year span. At her wedding, the father-of-the-bride speech included an instruction to the groom to always buy the unconditional road hazard warranty.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:37 pm

Hopefully that's a lesson learned.
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

The Egg

Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:47 pm

Yikes.......well at least it was just a steelie, and not some expensive alloy.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:18 pm

Glorious wrote:
These days? I sincerely doubt it.

I can't tell you the last time I've even looked at either the white OR yellow phonebook, over a decade at least?

I've never had a landline personally either.

I used to have a land line, but we got rid of the land line in like 2007 when we dumped CenturyLink's internet service.

I only looked in the phone book because I heard from someone else that I was listed with the wrong number. When I looked, I recognized the number and just shook my head.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:25 am

I think I was a victim of an attempted forced accident fraud yesterday. The full technical explanation would be long so I'll summarize it.

While navigating a two lane left turn at an intersection, which was incapable of supporting a properly offtracked truck turn, a car swiftly drove into the most dangerous position you could possibly put yourself relative to my movement which is also in a blind spot and then nearly stopped.

Either it was an extremely knowledgeable and skillful attempt at fraud or an extremely inappropriate reaction to realizing what they had done. Either way I pretty much stare at my trailers offset like there's a naked woman there so I noticed what was happening and came to a casual stop in my turn, after which the person shot off ahead.

The second thing that makes me believe it was a fraud attempt was the way the person made an effort to stay within a certain range ahead of me for many miles after the near incident. This is something I've seen is common in videos from people that experienced the same thing. It's normally followed by more attempts to cause an accident but that didn't happen.
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

The Egg

Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:03 pm

That really sucks, Heiwashin. I picked up a dashcam several months ago, but still haven't taken the time to set it up properly (the first two attempts resulted in too much vibration from my stereo).

If I drove for a living (especially a semi), I'd have cameras front and rear, and probably try to get the sides as well. Too much stupidity on the roads (and people looking to defraud you).

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:09 pm

Well I don't have the sides covered on camera. It would be difficult to set up and luckily the forward camera alone has resolved every case my company has seen by proving that we were driving forward in a legal manner when the accident happened. I'm limited in how much I can modify the truck or I would have cameras with full coverage.
When drunk.....

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:45 pm

Made jambalaya from scratch for dinner, using fresh tomatoes and peppers from the garden.

More or less followed this recipe, but doubled it, and subbed poblano and chili peppers for the green bell pepper; my wife hates bell peppers, we like things with some heat, and we wanted to use some of the fresh peppers from our garden, so the substitution made sense on multiple levels.

Delicious!

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:23 pm

http://nerdist.com/star-wars-imperial-m ... major-key/

The Star Wars Imperial March, but played in a major key (originally written in G minor).
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:25 am

Captain Ned wrote:
http://nerdist.com/star-wars-imperial-march-is-a-lot-less-evil-when-played-in-a-major-key/

The Star Wars Imperial March, but played in a major key (originally written in G minor).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtXy0rwPU5M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGflu3TbREo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JyFrIH2-ns

:D

The Egg

Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:29 am

just brew it! wrote:
Captain Ned wrote:
http://nerdist.com/star-wars-imperial-march-is-a-lot-less-evil-when-played-in-a-major-key/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtXy0rwPU5M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGflu3TbREo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JyFrIH2-ns

:D

Cool stuff. The Police and Radiohead songs were quite good. I was starting to wonder why artists didn't do alternate versions of their songs in different keys, but then, it would probably be too easy to forget which version you're playing mid-performance.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:48 am

The polyphonic capabilities in Melodyne 4 are being put to really good use, I see. :lol:

lots of artifacts in this one, but holy crap it's cool. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGflu3TbREo
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:04 am

The Egg wrote:
If I drove for a living (especially a semi), I'd have cameras front and rear, and probably try to get the sides as well. Too much stupidity on the roads (and people looking to defraud you).

I don't drive for a living, but I have a front/rear camera. I've had it about a year now and have only really caught one egregious wtf moment. I've been told that having a camera might get me an insurance discount, but I haven't looked into it
YOU CAN RUPTURE SOMEONE'S SPLEEN WITH A WATER BALLOON!!!!

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:56 pm

I ordered all my paramotor gear and I'm planning to train the first or second week of October. So in addition to random drone videos I'll also be posting random videos of me flying too. :P
When drunk.....

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:06 pm

Heiwashin wrote:
I ordered all my paramotor gear and I'm planning to train the first or second week of October. So in addition to random drone videos I'll also be posting random videos of me flying too. :P

Well, it's basically a drone you sit in, right? :lol:

Kougar

Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:06 am

Captain Ned wrote:

Wow... that is a heck of a difference. :lol:

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:03 pm

Picked up a cheap set of deep sockets at Harbor Freight today. Keg posts come in two sizes (11/16 or 7/8), and deep socket is really the way to go, since the handles on many 5 gallon kegs get in the way and restrict the range of motion of a standard combo wrench or adjustable wrench. Ease of routine maintenance FTW!

Kougar

Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:43 pm

Truth is stranger than fiction. Vulcans had green copper-based blood. Apparently some mollusks and arthropods also have copper-based "hemocyanin" blood, except it turns from clear to blue when oxygenated. Blue oxygenated blood just seems rather weird given it means the opposite for us.

Redocbew

Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:18 pm

I goof, and Ruby barfs with a NameError. Part of the error message says "Did you mean? available_action?"

No, actually I didn't, but it made me think about how Google's "did you mean" suggestions are almost always accurate. It's weird how I never even thought about how much training must be involved there until something else gets it wrong. :P
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:34 pm

$3 beer night at the local bar 'n' grill type place is a wonderful thing... especially when the tap list includes things like Dogfish Head 90 Minute! :D Bulldog is a small local chain, and they seem to be getting things right. Their food's decent too; I just had their Baja burger (topped with grilled fresh jalapenos, avocado, and pepper jack cheese), medium rare. Yum!

Their $2 beer night is even better, but we don't make it to that one very often since one or both of us usually has something else going on Thursday evenings.

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:45 pm

Redocbew wrote:
I goof, and Ruby barfs with a NameError. Part of the error message says "Did you mean? available_action?"

No, actually I didn't, but it made me think about how Google's "did you mean" suggestions are almost always accurate. It's weird how I never even thought about how much training must be involved there until something else gets it wrong. :P

I still get a chuckle out of their "Did you mean: recursion" when you Google "recursion", and their many other Easter eggs. They may be a top-tier multi-national mega-corp now, but the geeks still have a say in how their products work.

Vhalidictes
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:58 am

Redocbew wrote:

I read an article a few months back that stated all the Google algorithms are trained by employees. Apparently, some percentage of those results are hand-tuned by a search agent (human).

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:49 pm

TFW... someone sends an e-mail to the forum administrator e-mail address asking you to unblock their IP, and doesn't tell you what their IP address is.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:00 pm

just brew it! wrote:
TFW... someone sends an e-mail to the forum administrator e-mail address asking you to unblock their IP, and doesn't tell you what their IP address is.

:lol:

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:03 pm

Mine is 192.168.1.1 plz thanks.
When drunk.....

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:05 pm

Yes, I anticipated that, and had already replied with instructions to Google "what is my ip" to (hopefully) head that off at the pass. :wink:

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:42 pm

fd00::1 ?