Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Re: DYMT: Imi's Legacy

Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:10 pm

Over production of milk is a multi country problem from my understanding, although I'm not entirely against it from a certain perspective. The most obvious option, for any food source, is to use the cheapest resource available in the world, but that means our failed competitors would quickly close.

If enough of that happens, it leaves us vulnerable in potential times of war. We seem to have settled on a middle ground of propping up production, like with the us milk reserve, to keep the industry alive.
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:12 pm

DancinJack wrote:
Just reminds me a being a kid and (at times) not having nice stuff to eat all the time.

I think that's it for me, too.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:13 pm

Also, I love milk. I drink ~a gallon of 2% every 5-7 days. I'm still thin so I can still do it for now. I hope that never ends.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:14 pm

Also I exclusively eat hard cheeses these days, they should save the oldest hard cheese for me. :D
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:16 pm

Oh man you gotta get in on the gooey, stinky cheeses. They're so good.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:17 pm

We don’t drink that much milk. Probably use more in cooking that drinking. We run pretty much the full expiration timeframe to use up a gallon. It doesn’t help that apparently my son has a mild milk allergy that we’re just now taking seriously.

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:23 pm

Velveeta is OK for making quick cheese dips/sauces, that's about it.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:24 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
DancinJack wrote:
Just reminds me a being a kid and (at times) not having nice stuff to eat all the time.

I think that's it for me, too.

Oh, sure, if you like it, go for it. But up until sometime in the mid-1990s a slice of American was pretty much your only affordable option for, say, a quick sandwich. Then the options on other cheeses began expanding. You can now buy pre-sliced almost anything at prices competitive to traditional processed cheese products, or buy entire blocks at affordable prices.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:10 pm

SecretMaster
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:35 am

Heiwashin wrote:
Also I exclusively eat hard cheeses these days, they should save the oldest hard cheese for me. :D

If you are ever traveling through WI, try to get the Hook's 10 year aged cheddar. It's arguably the thing I miss most about leaving Wisconsin; that cheese is a treasure.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:47 pm

ludi wrote:
This may also explain why Tillamook is expanding so aggressively from the PNW and West Coast into the central western states. The selection of their cheese and ice cream seems to increase at local grocery every month or three.

I actually saw theirs in Publix yesterday. They had 2-3 varieties.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:40 pm

Just hooked up my new Logitech Z623 2.1 speakers. Yeah, I know they get mixed reviews (audiophile grade they are not...), but they're way better than what I had before, and IMO from a price/performance standpoint these are a nice set of computer speakers.

The old speakers were a 25+ year old set of Yamaha 2.1s. The sub had developed a rattle at anything above moderate volume, and they had gotten increasingly muddy sounding lately. There comes a point at which futzing with the EQ just doesn't even come close to cutting it any more; they served me well for many years, but it was time to retire them.

Putting the Logitechs through their paces right now with a variety of musical genres, and looking forward to being able to enjoy listening to music at the computer again without needing to put on the headphones.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:09 pm

Yeah, definitely not audiofile (Ned is shaking his head right now in disgust) but they're fine for what they are.

What they do have is a ton of (albeit muddy) BOOM BOOM BOOM.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:22 pm

DancinJack wrote:
Yeah, definitely not audiofile (Ned is shaking his head right now in disgust) but they're fine for what they are.

They're still a lot cleaner than what I'm upgrading from, and I read somewhere that the boominess is mostly due to a spike in the response (resonance in the sub). My listening tests so far seem to corroborate that; there was one track in particular that seemed to be hitting the resonance a lot, and sounded really boomy as a result.

I should be able to tame that resonance with a parametric EQ plugin (just haven't gotten around to that yet). My primary desktop is set up to route all of the audio through the JACK audio stack, which makes it easy to apply arbitrary post-processing before the audio goes to the soundcard.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:53 pm

DancinJack wrote:

I kind of want that for my retro gaming setup. I've got a 27" Sony Trinitron TV and BOOM BOOM BOOM would go great with the first level of Streets of Rage 2.

That VA2 model 1 Genesis has the discrete YM2612 in it and it rocks. That video is from an emulator, and it's pretty obvious in the hi-hat.

And the comments took me to Inner City - Good Life, which is not really nearly as good..
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

farmpuma
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Location: Soybean field, IN, USA, Earth .. just a bit south of John .. err .... Fart Wayne, Indiana

Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:11 am

DancinJack wrote:

I had good luck removing the BOOM BOOM BOOM on a small Altec sub by plugging the cabinet reflex port. I know I lost a little bottom end but the result was clean linear bass.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:00 am

farmpuma wrote:
DancinJack wrote:

I had good luck removing the BOOM BOOM BOOM on a small Altec sub by plugging the cabinet reflex port. I know I lost a little bottom end but the result was clean linear bass.

Interesting, I may play with that too. What did you plug it with?

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:17 pm

I definitely prefer sealed boxes in general, but man those small cheap speakers really ruin the quality with those ports. It's so loud at one particular frequency the rest is inaudible by comparison.
When drunk.....

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:20 pm

Still haven't gotten the parametric EQ sorted, but the most obnoxious resonance is right around 60Hz, which corresponds very closely to the 2nd-to-lowest band on the graphical EQ plugin I'm already using. A 12dB cut at 63Hz (and a slight boost at 31Hz to extend the bottom end a bit) does wonders. Most of the boominess is gone, but they've still got decent low-end punch.

When I've got more time, I'll use the info from this article to do a more meticulous EQ setup.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:47 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Still haven't gotten the parametric EQ sorted, but the most obnoxious resonance is right around 60Hz, which corresponds very closely to the 2nd-to-lowest band on the graphical EQ plugin I'm already using. A 12dB cut at 63Hz (and a slight boost at 31Hz to extend the bottom end a bit) does wonders. Most of the boominess is gone, but they've still got decent low-end punch.

When I've got more time, I'll use the info from this article to do a more meticulous EQ setup.

Sounds (hah) about right. IIRC that was also the usual bass peak for boombox hardware clear back in the 1980s. You can get quite a bit of 60Hz from a woofer with relatively modest cabinet, driver, and power requirements, and it has "punch" to an untrained ear.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

farmpuma
Location: Soybean field, IN, USA, Earth .. just a bit south of John .. err .... Fart Wayne, Indiana

Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:38 am

The port on the Altec sub is circular and the top from a plastic 35mm film container fit perfectly.

I also have a Sony boombox from the early 1990s with curved triangular ports for which I'm debating folded small bubble bubble pack or carved one inch thick Styrofoam insulation. The last time I fired it up the CD drive was sticking and lubricating the laser guide rod will take some disassembling.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:34 am

Old socks.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

The Egg

Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:34 am

Something about the word "sip" makes me angry. I think it started with McDonalds radio commercial where they use a guy with a gravelly voice and then keep saying "sip" with the sound of coffee slurping.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:11 am

Speaking of angry, yesterday I took the time to revamp my project organization in the truck. Imagine working on your projects on a 2x2 table and having everything in duffel bags because you don't have the room for space consuming organizers and dividers. Digging through and dumping out large bags of crap and organizing it on my bed takes longer than the actual projects.

I actually got stabbed under my fingernail yesterday by a pair of sharp tweezers.

So now I essentially sort everything I need for a particular project into gallon zip lock bags and throw them on my top bunk. It's easier to look through the smaller amount of stuff I need for that project and I can see into the bags from the side.

When I'm done I'll throw everything back into the larger generic sorting bags for tools, parts, etc.
When drunk.....

superjawes

Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:43 am

The Egg wrote:
Something about the word "sip" makes me angry. I think it started with McDonalds radio commercial where they use a guy with a gravelly voice and then keep saying "sip" with the sound of coffee slurping.
I can understand not liking a slurping sound (especially in an audio-only format), but the word "sip" is a problem? That I don't get. I mean it's not like your server is using the word "appy" for "appetizers"...repeatedly.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:55 pm

My name is Ben and I'll be takin' care of ya today. Have an appy, it'll make ya happy! Can I getcha a drink, or order up some appies?

I see you'll need a moment. I'll be back.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:01 pm

lol Brexit vote just lost by 230 votes. (please don't go r/p I just thought it was funny how big the defeat was)

superjawes

Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:43 pm

DancinJack wrote:
lol Brexit vote just lost by 230 votes. (please don't go r/p I just thought it was funny how big the defeat was)

(Without going R&P) The historical context: this is the worst defeat since MacDonald's minority government of 1924.

So this defeat is now the gold standard in the UK Parliament.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:45 pm

Please keep further thoughts on this in their proper place.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:56 pm

You think that's weird, both of TR's Editors Emeritus (Emeritii?) endorsed the McDonald's Quarter Pounder to me today.

https://twitter.com/jkampman_tr/status/ ... 4018348032