Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

Redocbew
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: DYMT: Imi's Legacy

Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:02 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Changing the subject, apparently there was a meeting today where the importance of "solutioning" and being a "solutioner" were mentioned. I figure I dodged a bullet there; how many points do you figure I would've lost off of my IQ if I'd attended that meeting (and actually paid attention)?

I was in a meeting like that a few years ago. Instead of "solutioner" the term was "subject matter expert", or SME which they pronounced "s'me". "It sounds like something from Lord of the Rings" they said, and everyone looks at me. Near the end of that job my periods of restraint on these things became increasingly infrequent, but this time I managed to contain myself and just thought "yeah, but that doesn't make it any better."
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:15 pm

At least "subject matter expert" as a description of a person within the organization makes a certain amount of sense (though the weird attempt to pronounce the initialism as a word doesn't). "Solutioning" is just plain stupid; it isn't even a word to begin with.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:06 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Changing the subject, apparently there was a meeting today where the importance of "solutioning" and being a "solutioner" were mentioned. I figure I dodged a bullet there; how many points do you figure I would've lost off of my IQ if I'd attended that meeting (and actually paid attention)?

Minus one per square, and minus another ten if you called Bingo.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:20 pm

Time to solutionizate the opportunity stream.

For some reason SME gets an H in my organization. Shmee
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:27 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:

The really sad thing is, I can actually imagine someone saying that not in jest. Maybe this is a sign that I have spent too much time in corporate America. I'd retire if I could.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:40 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
For some reason SME gets an H in my organization. Shmee

SHME (disambiguation): SHME (or shme) may refer to:
* Shanghai Metal Exchange
* Synthetic Human-Made Environment
* shme, a metasyntactic variable
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Redocbew

Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:32 pm

ludi wrote:
Synthetic Human-Made Environment

Sounds about right to me.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:28 am

Redocbew wrote:
ludi wrote:

Unless you're living/working in a cave, you're in a synthetic environment.

Since we're talking about words, their meanings, and the corporate mangling thereof, perhaps "Synthetic Human-Made Etymologies" would be more appropriate. :wink:

(Though I suppose all languages are human-made, so that doesn't quite work either...)

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:18 am

The financial regulatory world is simply littered with SMEs, though in our world it's pronounced "smee" just like Hook's first mate, not "shmi" like Anakin's mother.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:20 am

just brew it! wrote:
derFunkenstein wrote:
The really sad thing is, I can actually imagine someone saying that not in jest. Maybe this is a sign that I have spent too much time in corporate America. I'd retire if I could.

Leave it to the master:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyV_UG60dD4
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:32 am

Redocbew wrote:
ludi wrote:

Yeah, it sounds like ludi found the perfect descriptor for corporate America.

just brew it! wrote:
derFunkenstein wrote:

When I was traveling, I mentioned a problem to one of the higher-ups in the sales department, and he said something along the lines of, "There aren't any problems with (x). If anything, there is only a stream of opportunities."
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:41 am

I guess I've got no shortage of opportunities at work then. Lucky me!

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:41 am

just brew it! wrote:
At least "subject matter expert" as a description of a person within the organization makes a certain amount of sense (though the weird attempt to pronounce the initialism as a word doesn't).
SME is a popular TLA inside Dow's organization. Here's what I thought of when I heard it pronounced as a word:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mr._Smee
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

Glorious
Gerbilus Supremus

Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:23 am

JBI wrote:
"Solutioning" is just plain stupid; it isn't even a word to begin with.

I don't even know what to do with that one...

I mean, we have a word for that, it's called "Solving".

Wow.

Chuckaluphagus
Gerbil Elite

Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:39 am

Found the back half of a freshly killed rabbit in the front yard. Something must have spooked the predator, because the viscera hadn't even been eaten yet. Haven't seen coyote or foxes in the neighborhood before, but figure it had to be something like that - it didn't look like the results of what happens when a falcon or hawk eats a kill. In my experience, that tends to look more like the prey swallowed a grenade.

Mentioned the rabbit to my son, and now he's upset that I didn't let him see the carcass it before shoveling it into a heavy-duty trash bag.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:06 am

Detangling yourself from the Apple ecosystem is incredibly messy if you have contacts who still use iPhones.

I got a Pixel 2. Three years of OS updates, purchased at launch...I might still be using the phone when support dries up, but I might not be. I figured it was plenty good enough. I got the smaller one because several Pixel 2 XL reviews were somewhat unflattering towards the POLED displays, and because it's the same size as my iPhone 6S Plus, which is kind of big for me. Anyway, bezels be damned, I got a Google phone - the Apple equivalent's bezels are just as big.

Anyway, yesterday I got the phone. It has a new Verizon SIM in it. Steps to activate:

* Turn off Find My iPhone on the old phone
* Turn off iMessage and Facetime on the old phone
* Turn off the old phone
* Turn on the new phone and activate

Easy-peasy, right? I thought so, until my wife texted me a couple times yesterday afternoon and I didn't get them. On her iPhone 7 Plus, they were sending as iMessage still. I went to Apple's Dregister and Turn Off iMessage page and re-traced my steps. I also went through the trouble of resetting the iPhone and then deregistering as if I didn't have it. That page said it's not registered. Great. We waited around 6 hours, and then last night I called Apple support.

The dingdong I talked to said that since I have another Apple device (the Mac I use for work) I have to use iMessage with my Apple-owning friends. I said that's great, where can I download iMessage for Android? So I hung up on that person and waited overnight.

This morning it was still borked so I called Apple again. Got a different person and he put me on a series of 3-5-minute holds. After the second one, their system texted me a message with a code and I read it back to him. He says that within 12 hours, their back-end messaging platform should treat my number correctly. So we'll see. Waiting for tonight, I guess.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:20 am

Chuckaluphagus wrote:
Found the back half of a freshly killed rabbit in the front yard. Something must have spooked the predator, because the viscera hadn't even been eaten yet. Haven't seen coyote or foxes in the neighborhood before, but figure it had to be something like that.

That, or a decently large tomcat. The neighbors next to my folks' place used to have a tom that would kill rabbits. He was more likely to catch an occasional juvenile but once or twice he got an adult.

Then a car got the cat. Always a bigger fish.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:47 pm

I did my first flight today. Running and then feeling your feet lift off the ground and start flying is an incredible feeling. Coasting around at 300 feet with your feet dangling, smiling is mandatory. I'm going to post a video of some of it later.

It was an assisted launch, I didn't solo the wing preparation, but I'll be practicing that part for some time to come.

I also butt slid the landing. The perspective of flying down to the ground and land with your feet is highly disorienting.

In a new Orleans style restraunt drinking some abita beer.

A toast to new experiences.
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

superjawes

Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:50 pm

derFunk, you might check how your wife' contacts is listing your number. There is an "iPhone" option, and switching to "mobile" might force her phone to send texts instead of iMessages.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:38 pm

superjawes wrote:
derFunk, you might check how your wife' contacts is listing your number. There is an "iPhone" option, and switching to "mobile" might force her phone to send texts instead of iMessages.

That's a good idea. I'll check when she gets home.

The forum needs upvotes, I'd upvote this suggestion.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:27 pm

Here is my satisfying moment, first time launching with assistance.

And here is my professional and smoothly done butt slide landing.

When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

Redocbew

Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:05 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
Easy-peasy, right? I thought so, until my wife texted me a couple times yesterday afternoon and I didn't get them.

A former co-worker of mine had the same experience. He switched from an iphone6 to an LG G4, and couldn't get text messages from other people with iphones. Once he did the re-register thing it still wouldn't work, but I think it did once they did the same kind of reset it sounds like they did for you. Hopefully that'll be the end of it.

superjawes

Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:08 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
superjawes wrote:

Well it happened to me when my grandmother left iOS. I had several messages that just failed to send entirely. This would only fix one phone at a time, but since we're talking about your spouse's phone... :wink:
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:58 pm

superjawes wrote:
derFunkenstein wrote:
superjawes wrote:

Well it happened to me when my grandmother left iOS. I had several messages that just failed to send entirely. This would only fix one phone at a time, but since we're talking about your spouse's phone... :wink:

Well at least in her case that wasn't it, but as the Apple guy promised the issue seems to be resolved. Turned on iMessage and after her phone registered it still sent me an SMS.

edit: stupid autocorrect
Last edited by derFunkenstein on Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:12 pm

For his parting trick on his last day here, one of my co-workers accidentally crashed IBM's corporate-wide Slack instance today.

DrDominodog51
Gerbil Elite

Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:35 pm

How does one go about crashing a slack server?
A10-7850K; GA-F2A88XN-WIFI, 16 GB of 2400MHz DDR3, 500 GB Team Group L5 SSD

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:40 pm

Heiwashin wrote:

Now that would be incredibly fun, until the one time when it wasn't.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:25 pm

Heiwashin wrote:

Holy crap that looked super fun. But like ludi said, it probably is until the one time it's not. :o

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:44 pm

I think that this hobby is safer than my job. Almost every factor that could cause trouble is under my control so it's just a matter of good practice and decision making.
When drunk.....

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:24 pm

DrDominodog51 wrote:
How does one go about crashing a slack server?

You attempt to use a script to re-upload all of the custom Slack emojis that some other humorless co-worker deleted, for reasons unknown. This apparently did not go according to plan. It would appear that Slack does not handle bulk emoji uploads well when it is also being asked to handle thousands of channels with tens of thousands of subscribers. I guess there's a corner case in the code somewhere which turned this scenario into what was effectively a DOS attack. It's not like it was even a DDOS... the script was running on a single MacBook Pro. :o