Personal computing discussed

Moderators: Captain Ned, emkubed

Chuckaluphagus
Silver subscriber
Gerbil Elite

Re: DYMT: Imi's Legacy

Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:28 pm

I spent a good portion of my day transplanting my desktop build into a Fractal R5, my first new desktop case in a decade. It's replacing a venerable Antec P180, which has served me well and will now be donated. The Fractal is nice, and so wonderfully much easier to route cables cleanly in. I should have done this a while ago.

The change was indirectly prompted by an incident last week, when one of my mass storage drives went bonkers. A 2 TB WD Green, coming up on its 5th birthday soon, suddenly dumped most of its contents into the digital aether, flipped me the bird, and basically just took its ball and went home. I still have no idea what the hell happened - there was no warning, performance was perfectly normal up until it suddenly wasn't, and even now SMART data still tells me the drive is "OK".

Data-wise, I lost nothing because backups are good. But I don't trust the drive at all any more, and so it and its twin (two drives of the exact same make and model, bought at the same time) will be destroyed and I've replaced them with HGST 3 TB drives. And I figured, "As long as I'm going to need to be fiddling with cables and drive carts, why not do it in a shiny white case that won't make me occasionally swear?

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:20 pm

I realized sometime ago that I've of the reasons we don't get as mad about failures as we should it's because it's an excuse to upgrade. :lol:
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:20 pm

Heiwashin wrote:
I realized sometime ago that one of the reasons we don't get as mad about failures as we should it's because it's an excuse to upgrade. :lol:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:20 am

Chuckaluphagus wrote:
I spent a good portion of my day transplanting my desktop build into a Fractal R5, my first new desktop case in a decade. It's replacing a venerable Antec P180, which has served me well and will now be donated. The Fractal is nice, and so wonderfully much easier to route cables cleanly in. I should have done this a while ago.

Hmm. The R5 I won at TR BBQ XII is still in its box in my garage, and the current build lives in a P182.

Does the R5 have enough room for an old (but still amazingly effective) Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme?
If the Earth were flat, cats would have pushed everything off of it by now.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:27 am

Chuckaluphagus wrote:
The change was indirectly prompted by an incident last week, when one of my mass storage drives went bonkers. A 2 TB WD Green, coming up on its 5th birthday soon, suddenly dumped most of its contents into the digital aether, flipped me the bird, and basically just took its ball and went home. I still have no idea what the hell happened - there was no warning, performance was perfectly normal up until it suddenly wasn't, and even now SMART data still tells me the drive is "OK".

Weird. Though 5 years is definitely pushing it for modern HDDs. Sounds like maybe you just got really unlucky with random corruption (either by the drive itself or due to a RAM soft error) taking out a critical piece of file system meta-data.

Chuckaluphagus wrote:
Data-wise, I lost nothing because backups are good. But I don't trust the drive at all any more, and so it and its twin (two drives of the exact same make and model, bought at the same time) will be destroyed and I've replaced them with HGST 3 TB drives.

Yeah, I wouldn't trust it at this point either without running some fairly comprehensive tests. Trashing both drives seems a bit extreme... but they're probably hitting the far end of the "bathtub curve" anyway.

If the HGSTs are 7200 RPM you may want to keep an eye on drive temperatures (especially if they are mounted in adjacent bays) until you get a feel for how they behave under load. They can run a little warm.

Chuckaluphagus wrote:
And I figured, "As long as I'm going to need to be fiddling with cables and drive carts, why not do it in a shiny white case that won't make me occasionally swear?
Heiwashin wrote:
I realized sometime ago that one of the reasons we don't get as mad about failures as we should it's because it's an excuse to upgrade. :lol:

:lol: indeed! "Damnit, this AMD FX build is just too reliable, and since I don't game I don't have another good excuse to upgrade!"

Captain Ned wrote:
Hmm. The R5 I won at TR BBQ XII is still in its box in my garage, and the current build lives in a P182.

I haven't had time to do anything with the stuff I won in the TR holiday giveaway either. So my previous comment isn't strictly true; my excuse this time around will be "I got the motherboard, GPU, and PSU for free". I already picked up a case to house the build, but still need to grab a CPU and some RAM. Waiting may have worked in my favor here, since the Ryzen launch supposedly caused Intel to drop their prices a bit (haven't been watching that closely)... OTOH, I guess RAM prices have gone up a bit, so it's probably a wash. :roll:

Time permitting, I do plan to start getting back into a bit of FPS gaming once the new build is up and running. I imagine my reflexes aren't what they used to be though...
If the world isn't making sense to you, you're either drinking too much or not drinking enough.

farmpuma
Silver subscriber
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Location: Soybean field, IN, USA, Earth .. just a bit south of John .. err .... Fart Wayne, Indiana

Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:15 am

just brew it! wrote:
Time permitting, I do plan to start getting back into a bit of FPS gaming once the new build is up and running. I imagine my reflexes aren't what they used to be though...

And there's the massive folding potential of a substantial GPU.
Image Image
.* * M-51 * *. .The Whirlpool Galaxy.

derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:49 pm

Fractal Design cases are just super good, especially for the price. It's not a wonder why they get rated so highly in case reviews both here and elsewhere. Mine's got a bunch of marks and scratches on it, though, going back about four years ago when we moved. Both sides and the front are just scratched all to hell. I pondered retiring it a while back, but it's just too good functionally to let go.
"And and if you start to bleed, stop wiping." -whm1974

Chuckaluphagus
Silver subscriber
Gerbil Elite

Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:12 pm

just brew it! wrote:
If the HGSTs are 7200 RPM you may want to keep an eye on drive temperatures (especially if they are mounted in adjacent bays) until you get a feel for how they behave under load. They can run a little warm.

They are, and thanks for the tip. Right now, under a sustained transfer, the temperature is reading 36 C, but I'll keep an eye on it.

I haven't had time to do anything with the stuff I won in the TR holiday giveaway either. So my previous comment isn't strictly true; my excuse this time around will be "I got the motherboard, GPU, and PSU for free". I already picked up a case to house the build, but still need to grab a CPU and some RAM.

With the new case in use, I now have a full array of components to build an entire second desktop tower around an FX-8300. I have no use for it, neither does anyone else in the house, but they're not going to do any good in a closet. I'm thinking of tracking down a local charity and seeing whether they'd want one.

To quote P.J. O'Rourke, "Age and guile beat youth and a bad haircut."

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:22 pm

Chuckaluphagus wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

They are, and thanks for the tip. Right now, under a sustained transfer, the temperature is reading 36 C, but I'll keep an eye on it.

If they're 36C after they've been running a while they should be fine long-term. Seek-heavy workloads will push that higher, but you've got a fair bit of headroom there.
If the world isn't making sense to you, you're either drinking too much or not drinking enough.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:29 pm

OK, I can understand not allowing people to skip past ads that precede a video to go straight to the content. Streaming bandwidth costs real money, and if you're a for-profit news site you need to keep your shareholders happy.

But attaching a pointless video to a story that I just want to read, with an ad that has an overly loud soundtrack and can't be paused OR muted with the in-player controls, on a site that does not provide any setting to disable auto-playing of video content, is just plain obnoxious. CNN is apparently doing this now. If this is their new SOP, I guess it is time for me to finally say "buh-bye" to CNN. :evil:

At least the CBS site allows you to turn off video auto-play. (It forgets the setting occasionally, but it mostly works.)

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:31 pm

I get that movies like to do little inside shoutouts to each other, but the wilhelm scream is so annoying and i can't think of an action movie that doesn't have it tossed in somewhere. Usually it's quite annoyingly loud too. I watched rogue one today and i was wondering if i'd hear it. Sure enough it was very faintly audible under a large explosion edit i have no idea what time it was. It wouldn't bother me if it wasn't so absurdly silly but since it is it immediately breaks my immersion.
When drunk.....

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:44 pm

Heiwashin wrote:
I get that movies like to do little inside shoutouts to each other, but the wilhelm scream is so annoying and i can't think of an action movie that doesn't have it tossed in somewhere. Usually it's quite annoyingly loud too. I watched rogue one today and i was wondering if i'd hear it. Sure enough it was very faintly audible under a large explosion edit i have no idea what time it was. It wouldn't bother me if it wasn't so absurdly silly but since it is it immediately breaks my immersion.

Just for you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdbYsoEasio

Redocbew
Gold subscriber
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:53 pm

just brew it! wrote:
OK, I can understand not allowing people to skip past ads that precede a video to go straight to the content. Streaming bandwidth costs real money, and if you're a for-profit news site you need to keep your shareholders happy.

But attaching a pointless video to a story that I just want to read, with an ad that has an overly loud soundtrack and can't be paused OR muted with the in-player controls, on a site that does not provide any setting to disable auto-playing of video content, is just plain obnoxious.

It's doubly so considering support for autoplaying videos on mobile devices has only recently been supported, and even then only when muted. With the percentage of mobile traffic still increasing that's something even obnoxious advertisers should consider. For the most part we've successfully killed popup windows, so I guess autoplay is going to be the next trick up their sleeve.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:07 pm

I tortured myself by watching that video. :x
When drunk.....

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:27 pm

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:42 pm

In other randomness, I just learned that a patent was recently issued for something I worked on two jobs ago. I learned this via a piece of junk mail from a company that would like to sell me a framed patent certificate. :lol:

Apparently there are companies that troll the patent database looking for newly issued patents, and mail flyers to anyone whose postal addresses they can find.

(And no, I don't get anything out of this directly, since the rights to anything I invented while I was there were assigned to my employer. I can definitely use it to pad my resume though...)

derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:19 pm

I made sure that going into the weekend, all my homework was done and everything I needed to have ready for next week was out of the way. That way I could spend my day doing this (not the video itself, of course)
"And and if you start to bleed, stop wiping." -whm1974

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:47 pm

I'll put your knowledge to the test pop culture gerbils. This is one of those punching myself just because i can't remember the name, even though it's not really important.

Old movie, main guy is a "bad" guy, don't remember the exact context.He dies and satan makes him leader of his army and gives him venom/prototype like abilities. I think that's enough information, but it's really all i have anyway.
When drunk.....

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:53 pm

Spawn?

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:56 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
Spawn?

Nailed it, :lol:
When drunk.....

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:59 pm

Heiwashin wrote:
Captain Ned wrote:
Spawn?
Nailed it, :lol:

Old?

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:04 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
Old?

Well, I was 10 years old at the time. To be fair though, i call anything before the 05-09 ballpark where cgi and film quality started getting really impressive old.

*edit, just so you guys don't kill me, i meant the actual resolution and recording quality, improved audio and so on. Don't want any beef with people thinking i'm knocking all old movies as being bad.
When drunk.....

Chuckaluphagus
Silver subscriber
Gerbil Elite

Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:50 pm

Heiwashin wrote:
Captain Ned wrote:
Old?

To be fair though, i call anything before the 05-09 ballpark where cgi and film quality started getting really impressive old.

... For the life of me, I can't tell whether you're deliberately trolling with this. :D

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:00 pm

Heiwashin wrote:
To be fair though, i call anything before the 05-09 ballpark where cgi and film quality started getting really impressive old.

*edit, just so you guys don't kill me, i meant the actual resolution and recording quality, improved audio and so on. Don't want any beef with people thinking i'm knocking all old movies as being bad.

Go watch 2001 (1968).

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:10 am

I guess I missed this when it originally made the rounds: http://imgur.com/PjSW9Qr

NovusBogus
Silver subscriber
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:22 pm

Damnit, looks like I'm going to have to pay money for tax prep software. In the past it was super simple to just do the tax forms myself because I didn't have any money-making assets, but the company gave everyone a token amount of stock that auto-sold when it vested so now I'm looking at two additional forms with unclear and slightly contradictory instructions. And as much as I kind of want to read through all the supplemental documents just to spite the system and prove my arrogant-bastard engineer superiority in all things numerical in nature, I'm also fighting off a bad cold and don't have the energy to do that sort of thing right now. On the plus side, it'll be interesting to see how close the 'professional' 1040 comes to the one I started filling out on my own.

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:12 pm

Was driving home today when I saw an interesting license plate on, of all things, a modern Bug. Here in VT, vanity plate requests must be accompanied by an description of what the requested plate means (and DMV saw through my claim that "FOAD" meant "Friends Of American Defense"). Why a bright blue Bug Mk II/III was wearing the license plate "TRITIUM" might make for an entertaining afternoon in VT DMV.

It'd be fun to see if there are other cars in that driveway and what they're sporting.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:21 pm

My father's initials are FYU. They wouldn't let him get them on a vanity plate.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:12 pm

Today we have a pretty normal big city driver strategy i figured i'd post. They don't like taking the time to get up to speed, or having to possibly get behind a truck, so they just do the smart thing and plow into traffic at ramp speed and cut me off. Strategically it's sound as long as i don't make a mistake i guess.

https://youtu.be/g5Yoh5Jy2Bk
When drunk.....

Redocbew
Gold subscriber
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:52 pm

Physics argues against such tactics. I wouldn't put myself in such a position just in case.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.