Personal computing discussed

Moderators: Captain Ned, emkubed

superjawes
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Jedi

Re: DYMT: Imi's Legacy

Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:09 pm

I recommend blasting your horn if that happens. Then again I'm willing to floor it when entering the interstate even if there isn't anyone around.

But that tactic was textbook Tucson. Drivers around here aren't even aware of anything that isn't immediately in front of them. They just kind of float in the general direction they want to go.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. Tis a silly place.

Heiwashin
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:26 pm

I actually never use my horn under any circumstance. Any situation when i would honk my horn would be because someone did something like that. If i spent time blowing the horn that's less hands i can use to react to the problem. More importantly, i've seen people get so scared when they hear a horn that's close and they know they're being careless that they're more likely to drive into a wall themselves. In that case i don't want to be liable for scaring someone into a wall by blowing my horn in an otherwise potentially accident free situation.
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:47 pm

Some of the highway ramps within the Chicago city limits are so short you don't have much choice. You just gotta come barreling in and pray because there's almost no time to properly match speed or merge. A lot of people simply refuse to use the Interstates within the metro area because of this.
If the world isn't making sense to you, you're either drinking too much or not drinking enough.

Heiwashin
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:53 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Some of the highway ramps within the Chicago city limits are so short you don't have much choice. You just gotta come barreling in and pray because there's almost no time to properly match speed or merge. A lot of people simply refuse to use the Interstates within the metro area because of this.

If the ramp is that short i slow down to let people on because there really is no other efficient choice, it's not safe to try to reach interstate speeds on those ramp curves in that case. I've had to lock up the brakes a few times when trying to on with a ramp like that which gave no warning. :x
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

Chuckaluphagus
Silver subscriber
Gerbil Elite

Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:06 am

I once saw a taxi try exactly that with a city bus on Lake Shore Drive. Even at only 35 mph, the taxi was demolished (the bus appeared to be fine). The cabbie and his passenger appeared to be unharmed, which was a minor miracle (or a testament to good automobile safety requirements).

ludi
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:30 am

Chuckaluphagus wrote:
I once saw a taxi try exactly that with a city bus on Lake Shore Drive. Even at only 35 mph, the taxi was demolished (the bus appeared to be fine). The cabbie and his passenger appeared to be unharmed, which was a minor miracle (or a testament to good automobile safety requirements).

His first mistake was thinking he could win against a city bus. In Denver, the RTD bus drivers are quite ready to grind you into powder if you challenge their right-of-way.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:57 am

And metered ramps... let's make people stop halfway down the ramp. Fantastic! :o
If the world isn't making sense to you, you're either drinking too much or not drinking enough.

The Egg
Gold subscriber
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:44 am

just brew it! wrote:
And metered ramps... let's make people stop halfway down the ramp. Fantastic! :o

I completely ignore those.

ludi
Emperor Gerbilius I

Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:32 pm

The Egg wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

Enjoy the ticket for running a red light. In the US, at least, if the metering signal is active, it's a traffic signal.

At least the ones around here are sensible, they only activate during peak congestion periods and the highway traffic is typically only traveling at 35-45mph.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:35 pm

Yet another reason to enjoy rural living.
If the Earth were flat, cats would have pushed everything off of it by now.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:44 pm

The Egg wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

Difficult to do if the car in front of you doesn't ignore it.

The Egg
Gold subscriber

Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:13 pm

ludi wrote:
The Egg wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

Enjoy the ticket for running a red light. In the US, at least, if the metering signal is active, it's a traffic signal.

I've never seen one photo enforced, and I doubt any reasonable cop would write a ticket. They're worthless devices, and only add wear/tear to my brakes and tires (and then drivetrain when I accelerate again).

just brew it! wrote:
Difficult to do if the car in front of you doesn't ignore it.

Many others ignore them too, though I usually start to leave a little more padding between cars if I see one coming up.

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:48 pm

Ah, you hockey puck!!

RIP Don Rickles, the man who could insult anyone and get away with it. he made it to 90.

derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:55 pm

Well there's one of my list of people I thought was already dead.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
I control the groove

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:06 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
Well there's one of my list of people I thought was already dead.

I had the same reaction to Chuck Berry.

Heiwashin
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:10 pm

I ignore metered ramps too most of the time. They're usually in areas where cars are completely uncooperative with trucks, and it's imperative that i be near interstate speed before merging during heavy traffic.
When drunk.....

superjawes
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:19 pm

So I got my car back from the body shop on Tuesday (repair from the accident a couple weeks ago). I get in tonight and it won't start >.<

95% sure it's just the battery, but it figures that it would happen right now.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. Tis a silly place.

farmpuma
Silver subscriber
Location: Soybean field, IN, USA, Earth .. just a bit south of John .. err .... Fart Wayne, Indiana

Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:26 am

Farewell Mr. Rickles. Another classic laid to rest.
Image Image
.* * M-51 * *. .The Whirlpool Galaxy.

ludi
Emperor Gerbilius I

Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:29 pm

Done: 4 x 4" canlights with LED trims running down the center of our galley kitchen, and a new box to house a dimmer switch for same. Huge improvement over the single-fixture lighting solution the original builder thought to be suitable circa 1976.

Another one off the to-do list, but combined with Saturday's appliance shopping adventures, I'm worn out. Anytime I enjoy coming to the office on Monday for a quiet sit-down and a cup of coffee, it's a pretty good indication the weekend was too busy.

Heiwashin
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:32 pm

I hate chairs that use air cylinders for height adjustment. I've never seen a cylinder last more than a couple years.
When drunk.....

Chuckaluphagus
Silver subscriber
Gerbil Elite

Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:27 pm

Heiwashin wrote:
I hate chairs that use air cylinders for height adjustment. I've never seen a cylinder last more than a couple years.

I've had the same Herman Miller air cylinder chair for 7+ years now, it's holding up well. I did specifically spring extra for the 325 lb-rated model over the standard 250. I'm below 250, but not by much, and I thought the extra safety margin was worth an extra $100.

I went with this chair because any of the cheap Staples sale-class office chairs I've ever used are exactly as you describe, the cylinders just don't hold up.

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:39 pm

The 2 Hons (1 office, 1 home) will hold for about 2 weeks, but still succumb to the slow slide down. If you've seen my BBQ pic, you'll understand that I pose a challenge for chairs.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:07 pm

We're trying to put off replacing our computer chair and couch until the kids are both a bit older (at least until the younger one's fully toilet trained). Furniture shopping sucks, furniture's expensive, and kids are messy. But damn I want a new chair
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:50 pm

O Dear Bob I needed this day. It's 75 and sunny, so I busted out of work early, opened the windows and sunroof, grabbed a road soda, and SXM #23 (the Grateful Dead channel) is laying down some choice tunes. Does my mental health wonders, and I'm only halfway home.

EDIT: Home, after 2 glorious hours of sun, warmth, and VT dirt roads. I may talk a mean prog rock but, if you prick me to my core, I am one of Jerry's Children (like the BBQ shirts didn't announce it??). I've managed to pass on the disease to my daughter.

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:19 pm

And to top off the day, a Spitfire and a Mustang flying in close formation. Days rarely get better than this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JptY35hkc-w

Heiwashin
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:28 am

I keep hoping the national inquirer will fail soon. The day it does will be a victory for all of America. Also tmz. Screw all of the fake news before it was cool and after outlets.
When drunk.....

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:34 am

Shades of "Kelly's Heroes" (can it with those negative waves). Buy a surplus 1950s tank, find $2 million in gold bullion in the gas tank.

https://bearingarms.com/bob-o/2017/04/0 ... en-inside/

Heiwashin
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:20 am

I'm so sick of rich people getting whatever they want. My tank only had a little bit gold. :lol:
When drunk.....

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:54 am

Heiwashin wrote:
I'm so sick of rich people getting whatever they want. My tank only had a little bit gold. :lol:
I wonder if those Iraqi tankers are happier to be alive after facing M1A2s in an ancient T-54 or sadder at the loss of "their" gold?

Mr Bill
Gold subscriber
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:04 am

Captain Ned wrote:
O Dear Bob I needed this day. It's 75 and sunny, so I busted out of work early, opened the windows and sunroof, grabbed a road soda, and SXM #23 (the Grateful Dead channel) is laying down some choice tunes. Does my mental health wonders, and I'm only halfway home.

EDIT: Home, after 2 glorious hours of sun, warmth, and VT dirt roads. I may talk a mean prog rock but, if you prick me to my core, I am one of Jerry's Children (like the BBQ shirts didn't announce it??). I've managed to pass on the disease to my daughter.
I had a college roommate that loved the Dead and the Stones. He got me hooked on both.
X6 1100T BE | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ | XFX HD 7870 | 16 GB DDR3 | Samsung 830/850 Pro SSD's | Logitech cherry MX-brown G710+ | Logitech G303 Daedalus Apex mouse | SeaSonic SS-660XP 80+ Pt | BenQ 24' 1900x1200 IPS | APC Back-UPS NS-1350 | WinXP64 Pro