Personal computing discussed

Moderators: Captain Ned, emkubed

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Re: DYMT: Imi's Legacy

Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:14 am

I'm seriously debating stretching our budget to go to Raton or maybe OKC over the long weekend. Of course it's still getting snowy in Raton and that can be problematic but damnit I miss the mountains.
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

Heiwashin
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:33 pm

Today I'm at a peterbilt in oh getting service so I order an Uber to go to a nice restaurant. The annoying thing is that as soon as I get in the car I'll need to turn off my phone. I don't know exactly what the deal is but going somewhere with a full battery and leaving my phone on risks my phone dying. It seems Uber itself uses enormous power. I'll have to do some testing later and see if it's something I can fix.
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

Heiwashin
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:20 pm

Barroco Columbian food amazing. I didn't even know white hominy FRIES were a thing. As someone that grew up on grits I'm very pleased with this.
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:29 am

I predicted exactly how this would unfold when I heard about it yesterday: https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/04 ... assistant/

Vandalism of the Wikipedia entry was inevitable, as was angering the Google Gods. :lol:
If the world isn't making sense to you, you're either drinking too much or not drinking enough.

Glorious
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Khan

Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:36 am

That's amazing.

EDIT: the caption is even better:

Ars wrote:
An actor on a soundstage holding an exaggerated facsimile of a Burger King product.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:51 am

They do have a history of pulling wacky stunts as part of their ad campaigns. Anyone else remember the "Subservient Chicken" interactive ad? Looks like it finally got taken down at some point, but here's the Wikipedia entry: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Subse ... n#Internet
If the world isn't making sense to you, you're either drinking too much or not drinking enough.

superjawes
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:05 am

In BK's defense, at least this is just silly. And they were very lucky to have this happen during very bad weeks for Pepsi and United. :lol:
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. Tis a silly place.

Vhalidictes
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:42 am

superjawes wrote:
In BK's defense, at least this is just silly. And they were very lucky to have this happen during very bad weeks for Pepsi and United. :lol:

In BK's defense, it was a good idea enabled by Google's general lack of street smarts. "OK Google" has the rare attribute of being lampooned in many media before something like this even happened... and of course, soon enough, it did.

Heiwashin
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:36 am

The variety of beautiful women you meet on the road is something I'm still not used to. I fall deeply in love at first sight 3 or4 times a week. :lol:
When drunk.....

ludi
Emperor Gerbilius I

Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:31 pm

Vhalidictes wrote:
In BK's defense, it was a good idea enabled by Google's general lack of street smarts. "OK Google" has the rare attribute of being lampooned in many media before something like this even happened... and of course, soon enough, it did.

"Trusted voice" is one of the more interesting features on the phone side, to prevent exactly this kind of thing. Harder to implement in a home automation device with multiple and/or occasional users, though.

The one irritating aspect on Nexus is that the device offered to set up the voiceprint unlocking option at least two or three times. Nope, NO, which part of 'no' don't you understand...
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:37 pm

Jeez, how many different "colors" of Cherry MX switch are there, anyway? Saw an ad on the front page for a keyboard with Cherry MX "silver" switches. I'd never heard of them before today so I had to Google it. Apparently they are like Cherry MX red, but with a shorter stroke.

DancinJack
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:12 pm

Lots, we just rarely see all of them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherry_(keyboards)
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

Chuckaluphagus
Silver subscriber
Gerbil Elite

Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:35 am

This has suddenly put me in mind of a possible April Fool's office prank: the "Fruity Pebbles" keyboard replaces the normal keyswitches with a different type of Cherry keyswitch under each key, arranged so that no adjacent keys will ever provide the same actuation force or audible response.

Problem being, I have no one to pull this on, because I'm self-employed.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:47 am

Chuckaluphagus wrote:
This has suddenly put me in mind of a possible April Fool's office prank: the "Fruity Pebbles" keyboard replaces the normal keyswitches with a different type of Cherry keyswitch under each key, arranged so that no adjacent keys will ever provide the same actuation force or audible response.

Problem being, I have no one to pull this on, because I'm self-employed.

I think the joke is better if it is more subtle. A random mix of reds and blacks ought to do it.

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:50 am

just brew it! wrote:
I think the joke is better if it is more subtle. A random mix of reds and blacks ought to do it.

It'd be hell to wire, but a few buckling-springs and Hall Effects would really screw people up.
If the Earth were flat, cats would have pushed everything off of it by now.

Heiwashin
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:06 am

I'll take a simpler route. How replacing a silent switch with a clicky one. Just one. Like T
When drunk.....

Chuckaluphagus
Silver subscriber
Gerbil Elite

Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:33 pm

Heiwashin wrote:
I'll take a simpler route. How replacing a silent switch with a clicky one. Just one. Like T

I laughed at this. I think this would strike the excellent balance of being easy and fun to watch.

Heiwashin
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:14 pm

Chuckaluphagus wrote:
Heiwashin wrote:

I laughed at this. I think this would strike the excellent balance of being easy and fun to watch.

I can imagine someone breaking out wd40 and taking it apart thinking it needed to be fixed :lol:

Being a technophile hurts sometimes. I broke my CDP 130 pianos sustain input. Relatively small problem, I could probably fix it myself although from what I can tell id need a new socket. Regardless I couldn't deny myself the excuse to upgrade. Now I have two digital pianos in my tiny cab space.
When drunk.....

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:10 pm

Local shop going out of business; Dell Ultrasharp 2515x for 275.

Oh my god where has this been all my life. Oooh. So much nicer.
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

Redocbew
Gold subscriber
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:40 pm

@param  array $args An array of our relevant arguments

Best documentation ever.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:59 pm

Redocbew wrote:
@param  array $args An array of our relevant arguments

Best documentation ever.

After more than 3 decades in the industry, nothing surprises me any more. At least pointless comments are "mostly harmless". Misleading/incorrect comments are worse than none at all, since subsequent developers may simply take them at face value, and not bother to carefully read the accompanying code.

I've even seen arguments (as in disagreements, not in the software engineering sense) between developers carried out in code comments. Something along the lines of:
/* Please do not remove the following 3 lines of code. */
/* This does not belong here. Removing. */
/* But they provide a hook that is critical to being able to run our regression tests! I'm putting them back, please do not remove again! */
/* Figure out a better way to handle the regression tests, this is a stupid way to do it. Taking them out again, please do not re-add! */

I've also seen:
/* Here there be dragons! Someone please rewrite this sh*t! */

I've also tried to debug really poorly written C++ with comments in Portuguese. (And no, I am not fluent in Portuguese.)

Redocbew
Gold subscriber
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:39 pm

Yeah I've seen things like that also. A related application has comments in PHP saying "Don't remove this brace!" after the closing brace of a function.

Well, yes that's usually a bad idea in most languages...
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:49 pm

Have to wonder about the overall skill level of the developers at that organization, if someone felt compelled to warn about removing the closing brace of a function!

Heiwashin
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:17 am

It's hard to be certain, but i've been having little bites crop up here and there, and even a cluster one day. I suspect it could be bedbugs :x

I can't even find the slightest hint of evidence supporting this, but considering the level of epidemic, i'm just going to take the safe route and burn down the truck. Sortof.

Vehicles really have about the easiest time dealing with the issue though.
Park in the sun with windows up. Turn off the truck. Bacteria are lucky to survive. Well it's only going to be a high of 80 outside today, not ideal, but it'll hafta do until deeper into summer. To speed the heating process, i'm going to burn my deisel bunk heater which gets so hot i can't get in the path of the airflow. I was told to run it full blast occasionally anyway to prevent gunk buildup. Still, i need to move some of my sensitive items and spray cans and the like to a safer location.
When drunk.....

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:50 am

just brew it! wrote:
I've also seen:
/* Here there be dragons! Someone please rewrite this sh*t! */

Now that's a comment I actually like. It warns you that there's a piece of seriously gnarly code which usually means you should either not mess with it or totally rewrite it. If you prod it slightly then all the buried bugs will come crawling to the surface.

Redocbew
Gold subscriber
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:23 pm

I'll admit, I'm guilty of that one myself. The application was a frontend for database driven publishing using dynamically generated PDFs. It created those little hang-tags people immediately throw away when they buy new clothing. The print layout was divided up into quadrants to create the inside/outside and front/back of the tag. The layout was mostly the same in all four quadrants, so I thought why don't I just create a grid system and provide offsets for each quadrant that way I only have to build one, then I can reflect the coordinates for the other three. By the time it was done the application worked fine, but I wasn't really proud of it since everything revolved around the function translating the coordinates, and it was stuffed full of "magic numbers". I put a comment starting with "Abandon all hope ye who enter here" above it.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:29 pm

Unfortunately I was the one who got to rewrite the code referenced in the "Here there be dragons!" comment. Step 1: Figure out WTF it is doing, in a system where that comment was probably among the better documentation. It was an embedded device; on many occasions I had to refer back to the electrical schematic and reverse engineer what had to be going on in the code. The code itself, and the comments (when they existed) were that bad.

Redocbew
Gold subscriber
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:47 pm

I have an old tshirt from thinkgeek that says "Reverse Engineer" on it backwards. When I bought it I never thought reverse engineering would be something I'd actually spend any time in doing. Now, it usually occupies some part of my day, if not the entire day.

derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:18 am

Not comment-related, but I know a guy who's building an app with the goal of selling businesses on its automated order system whatever blah blah blah, but that's the boring part. The fun part is that he's hard-coded every country code in existence and has a 1700-line (or so) switch statement to set a bunch of global variables. Lots of crap like this:

case "us":
  currencyChar = '$';
  maxPostalLength = '5'
  //...whatever other variables, I don't remember the specifics
  break;

He's really super-proud of himself for having this idea and not storing it in a table in the DB (which was my first question) because "it'll bog down the network". He thought I'd appreciate his "insight" because he knows I'm still "just in school and still learning this stuff, and this is a professional app". Also, he noticed about five instances where he forgot the break statement so it was dropping through on random country codes so it'll return the wrong values anyway. :lol:

I dunno, maybe this is me not understanding how the real world works, but this seems like a really dumb design choice.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
I control the groove

Redocbew
Gold subscriber
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:24 am

Yeah, it is a dumb choice. If he's got things like tax codes in there which conceivably could change often it's just going to be a pain in the neck. Even the names and the countries themselves can change every now and then.