Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Re: DYMT: Imi's Legacy

Sat May 20, 2017 8:13 am

I need to finish the series. I read up through The Wastelands when I was in high school which was the latest at the time. I waited what seemed like forever for Wizards and Glass and loved it (sophomore year of college, I think). But by the time the fifth one came out I was married and busy with work and just never got around to it or anything that's come since.

Lots of King adaptations are great. Christine, Cujo, Pet Semetary, The Running Man, Needful Things, The Green Mile, and tons of others I'm not listing. Some have been truly awful. Lawnmower Man had nothing to do with the story (or lawnmowers, for that matter) and King famously sued to have his name taken off. But the game based on that movie was hella fun. It came with my family's first Windows PC and I played the crap out of it. Never did see the movie.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Mon May 22, 2017 6:31 am

An era passed last night.

The Ringling Brothers/Barnum & Bailey Circus put on its last show.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

The Egg
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon May 22, 2017 8:07 am

Captain Ned wrote:
An era passed last night.

The Ringling Brothers/Barnum & Bailey Circus put on its last show.

Aye......it was time. I should probably find a video of the farewell performance.

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon May 22, 2017 7:16 pm

Brewed a special batch of beer last week, with the intent of taking it to Homebrew Con in Minneapolis next month. The special ingredient is figs. Added the figs (2 lbs of them) last night. All the sugar in the figs apparently caused the batch to go nuclear, making it spit up during the day while I was at work. Looks like the airlock had clogged for a period of time at some point, as the lid of the bucket was deformed and covered in beer. Could've been a lot worse... if the clog hadn't cleared on its own I could've easily had a literal beer explosion on my hands.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Redocbew

Mon May 22, 2017 7:26 pm

A "beer explosion" sounds like one of those things you'd think would be kind of awesome until you had to clean it up.

Unrelated: damn and blast these sinuses. Half my head is plugged up. The last time this happened I had orange snot for a week.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon May 22, 2017 7:34 pm

Redocbew wrote:
A "beer explosion" sounds like one of those things you'd think would be kind of awesome until you had to clean it up.

I prefer to get to drink my beer, not clean it off the floor (and walls, and possibly even the ceiling, depending on the extent of the spewage). I haven't had one that reached the ceiling yet, but I've definitely gotten the walls a few times. Well, actually that's not quite correct... I did get the ceiling once, but that wasn't a fermentation issue, it was my first attempt at using a counter-pressure bottle filler!

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Mon May 22, 2017 9:27 pm

I called fidelity and learned that on the phone you enter your online login password with the numbers, one press per character regardless of the letter, and special characters are all represented by *. The first thought that goes through my mind is i hope they have two different hashed password tables.

I'm just going to assume they do. It'd be unreasonable to assume they're loading up my password in character form and comparing it to my number pad input right? But there's still a part of me that says... don't be surprised if they do.
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

Redocbew

Mon May 22, 2017 11:16 pm

Interesting. I've never thought about entering passwords over a phone which can't supply a full set of special characters as input. If that was a requirement, then I'd probably just disallow any special characters except *, but I'm assuming from your description they didn't​ do that.

Let's just hope how ever they're managing it that they're​ not still using MD5 or something which could be easily broken anyway!
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Mon May 22, 2017 11:22 pm

Yes * was used as a stand-in for the actual special character, in the same way that the numbers were used as replacements for the actual character, since I didn't repeat numbers to specify which letter.
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue May 23, 2017 12:12 am

Ehh... that's even worse than my recent discovery that many banking sites treat upper and lower case in passwords as equivalent. What you thought was a fairly complex password isn't so complex after all.

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue May 23, 2017 3:19 pm

Apparently the IT department is swapping out my existing display for a 40" 4K monitor. That's the standard here for developers now, and my telling them (a few months ago) that I didn't really have a pressing need for one just meant they moved me to the end of the queue. When I expressed surprise, I was told "well, you're on the list so we got you one". :lol:

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue May 23, 2017 3:37 pm

One of the perks of going to an office, I guess. Meanwhile I have to provide my own monitor, keyboard, and mouse. :lol:
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue May 23, 2017 3:43 pm

I did bring in my own keyboard and mouse, because I didn't like the ones they provided.

On days I work from home (typically Thursdays, unless there's a meeting I need to be in the office for) I just jack the work laptop into the KVM and use the same peripherals I use with my home desktop.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Wed May 24, 2017 10:21 pm

I made real beer-battered deep-fried cod fish 'n' chips & onion rings Monday night. If I'm really lucky, the kitchen won't smell like a Newfoundland dock (or bawdy house) when we have to shut the windows in winter.

Note to self: Next time, that's outside on the beer burner. Oi.

Redocbew

Wed May 24, 2017 10:24 pm

After reading this post I am at a loss for why I haven't made my own beer battered fish and chips. This cannot stand.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Wed May 24, 2017 10:32 pm

Redocbew wrote:
After reading this post I am at a loss for why I haven't made my own beer battered fish and chips. This cannot stand.

Do it outside. Listen to those who have made the mistake. The fish smell is worse than "way late to be cleaned" cat box.

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Thu May 25, 2017 8:27 am

Fridge died yesterday. Congratulations LG (badged as Kenmore), you made it perfectly to the 10.5 years that modern appliances are designed to fail at. :evil:

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Fri May 26, 2017 10:45 am

I wish I had known that joe nail was a thing. I would have been there. Next year I'm there. Watched some really cool videos at least.

Found this little complilation of tesla vehicles avoiding accidents. It's pretty yummy. I love the first one especially, safely avoided a potential rear end, something most people wouldn't even be aware of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rphN3R6KKyU
When drunk.....

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Fri May 26, 2017 11:41 am

This is why we spend billions of dollars to fling tiny things at other planets in the Solar System just to take a look at them. Until now, no one had seen the poles of Jupiter. They don't look anything like the images we've seen since the Voyager days. You want live science? Here it is in gigabytes.

http://www.spacedaily.com/reports/A_who ... o_999.html

Maybe it's not such a good idea to go to Europa.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Fri May 26, 2017 5:47 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
Redocbew wrote:

Do it outside. Listen to those who have made the mistake. The fish smell is worse than "way late to be cleaned" cat box.

Most things involving fried fish are better done outside or under a commercial hood vent. I once got after a roommate for pan-frying his previous month's frozen catch (rainbow trout) at 9pm in early winter. That smell was still coming out of my bedroom's furniture, on a different floor, a couple days later. There's nothing quite like getting dressed for work in the dawn hours and having the aroma of a sweaty harborman rise from your undershirt drawer.

Naturally, since he had just bleached his olfactory lobes with a big plate of fried fish, he had no idea how bad the house smelled.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Sat May 27, 2017 9:50 am

At one point I was getting pretty annoyed with any cooking after smells. If I'd cook spaghetti or something it would sink into everything. I didn't have an exhaust hood at the time though.
When drunk.....

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat May 27, 2017 10:02 am

The aroma of brewing tends to linger as well. Fortunately my wife is also a homebrewer so (normal) brewing aromas are not an issue. When the weather is nice, most brewing activity occurs out on the patio; but if it is cold or raining it happens in the kitchen.

There are some abnormal aromas that are potentially problematic though:

One time I burned some wort I was trying to caramelize. "Like someone made toast for a herd of elephants, and burned it all" was the comment from my wife.

Or the time I was boiling a rubber stopper to sterilize it, and forgot about it. The water boiled off, and it caught fire. The house smelled like a tire fire for a week.

Redocbew

Sat May 27, 2017 10:10 am

A number of years ago I did DIY anodizing as part of a PC mod which involved a decent amount of pool chemicals. Not the most potent of smells, but still pervasive.

That also made me wonder what kind of watch lists I'd be on after buying a power supply, pool chemicals, and electronics all in the same order. :lol:

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Sat May 27, 2017 10:46 am

On a random note, that link I posted in RC. The guy said the current on his setup is so high that the solder melts during full load. What can you even do about that. Is there a high temp solder or something.
When drunk.....

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat May 27, 2017 11:16 am

Heiwashin wrote:
On a random note, that link I posted in RC. The guy said the current on his setup is so high that the solder melts during full load. What can you even do about that. Is there a high temp solder or something.

If he's using leaded solder, lead-free melts at a higher temperature, so that may be an option. But if it is getting hot enough to melt the solder holding the connections together there are other concerns as well -- internal temperatures are likely approaching the ignition point of some of the other materials in the drone. Not to mention, having something that hot operating in close proximity to a lithium battery sounds like a potential recipe for fireworks.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Sat May 27, 2017 11:51 am

I like to think of these top speed pushing drones like f1 engines. Fast, for an extremely short lifetime.
When drunk.....

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat May 27, 2017 12:38 pm

Yes, that's probably a good analogy. Even if the solder doesn't melt, I can't imagine things holding up for long under that kind of punishment. He's almost certainly pushing the electronics driving the motors to the limit as well, and coming close to destroying the motor windings. While it takes a lot more heat (close to 2000F) to melt copper, the insulation that keeps the motor windings from shorting out is probably going to fail well before that.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Sat May 27, 2017 3:37 pm

Honestly i'm not sure how it holds together. He posted all of his parts and we're dealing with a battery that can supply 128 amps, sustained, with bursts of 200+ at 25 volts... the damned 200 gram battery could probably run a washing machine for 15 seconds. Meanwhile all of that power is surging through 4 controllers rated for 30 amps. Even though he's doing half second runs, they must be bubbling. I can't even imagine how much thrust he's producing. Those motors of the 2400rpm per volt variety, at 16 volts, can produce 1400 grams of thrust each. He's running the 2700rpm per volt option, at 25 volts. Staggering power.
When drunk.....

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat May 27, 2017 3:46 pm

Heiwashin wrote:
Honestly i'm not sure how it holds together.

Oh, I imagine he "lets the magic smoke out" on a regular basis. Just part of the game when you're chasing records.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Sun May 28, 2017 9:49 am

You just can't guess what people will latch onto next. These dam fidget spinners. :roll:

I guess i've always been a little anti-fad, but my problem with this one is people seem to really believe these claims that these will somehow help your state of mind, while i'm certain that's a gigantic crock of ****.

Also there are several videos of people spinning these 24 hours or more on youtube.
When drunk.....