Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

just brew it!
Administrator

Re: DYMT: Imi's Legacy

Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:39 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
Heiwashin wrote:
I sometimes get multiple emails asking for reviews. Guaranteed way to not get one.

Guaranteed way to get a bad one. "Won't stop spamming me after the sale"

That's too much trouble (unless I'm also unhappy with the product). I just ignore all of the "please review me" e-mails.

What I typically do is every few months I'll go and do a batch of reviews for all the things I've bought recently that I have a strong opinion of.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:05 pm

Yeah, that's how I tend to review things, too. 5-10 at a time.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:06 am

I picked up some Montana chokecherry and elderberry jelly. I'm always buying local jellies and jams, bit of an obsession.
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:16 am

Pet peeve: Robocall that immediately puts you on hold when you pick up. Great way to guarantee that I won't talk to you.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:21 am

just brew it! wrote:
Pet peeve: Robocall that immediately puts you on hold when you pick up. Great way to guarantee that I won't talk to you.

These days I need to talk to so few people, and with the localized spoofing spam I simply don't answer my phone. People that need me know to get me a text or email.
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:47 pm

Heiwashin wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

These days I need to talk to so few people, and with the localized spoofing spam I simply don't answer my phone. People that need me know to get me a text or email.

This, and also the people I might need to talk to are in my contacts so I know it's them when they call. If you're not in my contacts, I'm not taking your call, and that's all there is to it.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil

Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:28 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
Heiwashin wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

This, and also the people I might need to talk to are in my contacts so I know it's them when they call. If you're not in my contacts, I'm not taking your call, and that's all there is to it.

This, and I figure that anyone important who isn't in my contacts will leave a message so I can call back.
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:29 pm

Pet Peeve for a Sunday, Part II: Musicians who think it is cool/hip to use a "vinyl clicks and pops" noise effect on a track.

It annoyed me the first time I encountered it (probably going on 20 years ago), and people are still using it. Each time I encounter it, it pisses me off; if I wanted frikkin' surface noise, I'd play some of my worn-out old LPs. Most of 'em don't even get it right; if you want it to be realistic, some of the pops (generally the louder ones) need to repeat a few times at roughly 2 second intervals, to simulate scratches that cross multiple successive turns of the groove.

Epic fail all around.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:23 pm

My old windows phone died its' final death (draining batteries within 2-3 hours of standby, wifi not working)....so I wound up with an iPhone....god I hate OS, but there weren't a ton of options on short notice and I need a working phone with my cell number since its on job apps that're out. :evil:
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:14 pm

International House of BS, amirite

paulWTAMU wrote:
My old windows phone died its' final death (draining batteries within 2-3 hours of standby, wifi not working)....so I wound up with an iPhone....god I hate OS, but there weren't a ton of options on short notice and I need a working phone with my cell number since its on job apps that're out. :evil:

If you did not get a new SIM for that iPhone, you'll want to go to your carrier and get one. Apple has its own visual voicemail service that makes voicemail actually work on the device. Carrier voicemail still works if you call the number for it (*86 on Verizon) but it acts weird.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:34 pm

I hate to admit it but the store handled setting up all of it. SIMs weren't compatible (I didn't know that was a thing, don't pay much attention to cell phones) but they used this strange machine to get my contacts and number over.
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:22 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
International House of BS, amirite

Wouldn't that be IHOBS instead of IHOB? :wink:

paulWTAMU wrote:
SIMs weren't compatible (I didn't know that was a thing, don't pay much attention to cell phones)

Given that it's an Apple product, I would've been more surprised if it was compatible... :lol:

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:12 am

If he was using a very old Windows phone then he might have had a micro SIM instead of a nano SIM (which all iPhones have used for a long time now). Also that voicemail thing.

I can put the SIM from my Pixel into my iPhone 6S and everything works except for voicemail, because of what I described earlier. And Verizon can get around it without swapping the SIM but you have to get *very* lucky to call support and talk to a competent person. I've actually helped them figure it out, sort of, because I've swapped back and forth a few times over the last 6 years or so that I've been with them.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:59 am

yeah it was an old Lumina :( I liked it but I need something to hold a charge for more than 30 or 60 minutes if I'm actually using it, and more than a couple hours on standby.

I'm just bitter and whiny about the state of lower end phones; it was like it went from utter crap, to as expensive as a nice laptop, but without much in the mid-price point segments

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:06 am

Moto G6 is getting good reviews FWIW.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:22 am

No one had it physically in stock; I'd have had to order it. And with my number out on job applications right now, I really didn't want to not be able to have a phone for a couple of days :/ I don't know, maybe it was the wrong call but I was feeling paranoid. Though we are looking at that for my wife, since her Moto 2 is aging too.

Redocbew
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:00 pm

Today in the news: AT&T gets approval to buy Time Warner, and the story is eclipsed by a raccoon climbing 23 stories up the side of a building.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:01 pm

Redocbew wrote:
and the story is eclipsed by a raccoon climbing 23 stories up the side of a building.

Followed by a small talking tree with a 3 word vocabulary.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

farmpuma
Location: Soybean field, IN, USA, Earth .. just a bit south of John .. err .... Fart Wayne, Indiana

Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:42 am

Raccoons like to crap in high places. I have a haymow carpeted with it.
[img]http://[/img] Image
.* * M-51 * *. .The Whirlpool Galaxy. .TV muted, X dual flying birds & a mantra, "Specter be Gone"

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:34 am

farmpuma wrote:
Raccoons like to crap in high places. I have a haymow carpeted with it.

I'm sure it's because it's generally safer from predators, but tha'ts gotta be a pain.

Chuckaluphagus
Gerbil Elite

Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:58 am

I assembled a kit for a Prusa MK3, so now I have two 3D printers (I bought a Monoprice Mini Delta late last year). This thing is a massive upgrade over the Mini Delta in every possible respect - more accurate, more consistent, much quieter, far larger build area, better interface, far better documentation and support.

The Mini Delta is cheap and actually can do very good quality, but the build area is very small and I had a devil of a time getting it to be dimensionally accurate and consistent - it's very difficult to get something larger than an inch or so on an axis to print truly square, for instance, and you might get slightly different dimensions when printing the same model twice in a row. There's a very active user community for the Mini Delta, with tons of guides on how to improve calibration and get better results, and that helped some, but I was spending too much time thinking about how I would want to try printing "X" if I could just get the tolerances good enough first.

If I was just looking to print minifigures or the like, the Mini Delta would suit me fine, but I'm glad I've upgraded. Thinking I should contact the local technical school and see whether they might have a use for it.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:01 am

Interested in selling it?

Chuckaluphagus
Gerbil Elite

Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:52 am

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
Interested in selling it?

Um, sure! I'll DM you, we can continue the conversation there.

Redocbew

Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:42 am

Another day which leads me crossing over into sysadmin territory, and this time I'm messing with a mail server. To quote John Dorie, that is some ugly mustard.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:43 am

Yeah, I'd almost rather be racking heavy 4U servers than messing with mail server configurations! :lol:

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:01 pm

I'll just leave this here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xlow12sSdmc

(The s**t-eating grin cracks me up. He KNEW! :lol:)

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:55 pm

Just figured out that my supervisor's supervisor went to high school with my daughter (not the same class, but there was a year of overlap). He's got a yearbook with my daughter's picture in it. How's that for making you feel old? :lol:

One of the hazards of being 50-something in the tech industry, I guess... :-?

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:22 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Just figured out that my supervisor's supervisor went to high school with my daughter (not the same class, but there was a year of overlap). He's got a yearbook with my daughter's picture in it. How's that for making you feel old? :lol:

One of the hazards of being 50-something in the tech industry, I guess... :-?

Probably a MBA grad from a decent school. Which is incredibly infuriating at times.

That's the way it goes though.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:30 am

About 20 years ago I was working on a project where we brought in a contract hardware engineer who was much older than me. We had been working together for a month or so before I realised that he had the same name as someone who used to work with my father. We compared notes and it was him, we had both moved several times since then and he had last seen me when I was about 8. That made him feel really old :D

MileageMayVary
Gerbil XP

Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:00 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
Heiwashin wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

I have my phone set to block any call from any number which isn't in my contacts list because of the above.
Main rig: Ryzen 3600X, R9 290@1100MHz, 16GB@2933MHz, 1080-1440-1080 Ultrasharps.