Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

Redocbew
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: DYMT: Imi's Legacy

Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:25 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
That said, has anyone run Alan Guth's inflation model against the Three Laws of Thermodynamics, or is the inflation period somehow assumed to have happened outside/before the physical laws we can track back to when the CMB coalesced?

I finished college with a math minor, and I'd probably still be lost trying to figure that out. There comes a point where mathematics truly becomes its own language. Most of us don't ever go there. Cosmologists and theoretical physicists do. A lot.
Last edited by Redocbew on Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:26 pm

I'm in the same boat. Occasionally I think it'd be nice to learn the necessary math skills to really understand the models. I think that would probably take more time than I have right now though.

I don't remember anything about that even though I'm pretty sure I read something about it. I'll end up looking into it later.
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:59 pm

When I read Einstein's General Theory in concert with the "Dummies" book, I grok what each term in the equation means in an objective sense, yet I will never be able to approach a chalkboard and demonstrate that I can derive those equations on my own. I got through high school differential Calc, but integral Calc was where my brain said "Last train to Clarksville, please".

It's why movies like 2001 and Interstellar have a deep hold on me. It's why/how my parents instilled science in my 5yo butt by waking me up and turning on the TV to watch Apollo 11's landing. I'll never grok the details, but alte kakers like JBI and I will never forget that moment.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

superjawes
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:46 pm

I got an EE degree, so that means I was thrown headfirst into all the mathematics. I got most of it, struggling the most on infinite series and DiffEq 1. I respect what the theoretical guys do, but I'm happy running back to the practical realm.

And if anyone wants video resources for this stuff, PBS has Spacetime, and I think they have Infinite Series for math. You can also check out Numberphile to watch math profs tackle topics.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:42 am

Aftermath of the Fyre Festival, originally discussed here:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/30/arts ... ested.html
http://www.cnn.com/2017/07/01/us/fyre-f ... index.html

In addition to the expected raft of civil lawsuits, one of the co-organizers is now facing criminal charges.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:57 am

Mr. McFarland could face a maximum of 20 years in prison, but is likely to receive a lesser sentence.

Of course he will. I would rant a bit about the blatant irresponsibility of the court when it comes to dealing with white collar crimes but it would quickly descend into r and p.
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:13 pm

My sudden hangs have gone away since i shut down drop box. It's a shame that something that simple which should be working silently in the background was wrecking my experience that much.
Last edited by Heiwashin on Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When drunk.....

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:59 pm

I'm sure that the Captain will enjoy this title from Amazon's Kindle First free offer:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01AB4A41O/
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:32 pm

Reading all these posts on beer is making me thirsty.

So are these pretzels.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:35 pm

What a coincidence, drinking all these beers was making me thirsty.
When drunk.....

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:21 pm

JustAnEngineer wrote:
I'm sure that the Captain will enjoy this title from Amazon's Kindle First free offer:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01AB4A41O/

Yup, right up my alley and comes in high-quality dead tree to boot. It'll take some deferred gratification, though, as easy things like this go straight to the Amazon Wish List for Xmas time.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:17 am

Amazon offers a choice of one free Kindle First title per month.
https://www.amazon.com/kindle-dbs/kindlefirst
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:50 am

I finally got to speed test sam(surface to air multirotor) today. I'm still just annoyed that i had to use these heavier motors, they cut my thrust to weight by something like 8% with no expected performance gains, but i'm going to try to get the other ones up. Still, 0 to 99 mph in under a second is something i can be happy with.

Well there is one exception to the performance gains. This motors bigger stator, and how cool it runs now, makes me think it might actually tolerate 25v instead of 21. Maybe i'll pick one up eventually, but then my power board would be beyond it's limits for sure and weird unexpected things could start happening.

When drunk.....

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:35 pm

Just made me a ymmy German Potato Salad and have prepped a lovely Steak salad for our fine dining tonight.

The German recipe looks like the best approximation to Mom's (which I ate by the bucketload) I've ever seen in print. I know exactly where her recipe is, down to the section in her tub of 3x5 recipe cards. I can't say why, but since she passed in 2013 none of us (Dad, Sis, & I) have dared open that tub (insert Freudian crap here). The Steak salad is a cold dish as well and is simply a steak I cooked off last night while grilling something else and which will bathe in a vinaigrette with distinctly Japanese flavors (Ponzu).

Chuckaluphagus
Gerbil Elite

Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:25 am

Apparently a robin decided to expire under one of the large yard hedges some time ago. I know this because I just ran over it with the lawnmower. Feathers and a bleached white skull suddenly whipping around at my ankles. Something of a surprise, kind of like a mini-ominous portent.

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:04 pm

Chuckaluphagus wrote:
Apparently a robin decided to expire under one of the large yard hedges some time ago. I know this because I just ran over it with the lawnmower. Feathers and a bleached white skull suddenly whipping around at my ankles. Something of a surprise, kind of like a mini-ominous portent.

My son ran over a dead bird with the lawnmower last summer. Unfortunately it was a little "fresher" than the one you hit, so it was still pretty "juicy".

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:01 pm

I'll cop to summary execution of several toads.

Chuckaluphagus
Gerbil Elite

Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:39 pm

It's been hot and relatively dry here recently (that's not out of the ordinary, just summer), but something's off - we have flies desperately zipping into the house any time we open a door. Then they buzz around desperately for a day or so before expiring in a window. Whatever they eat, we don't have any in here.

This has been annoying but not terrible - they're just flies, and they die on their own and we just need to sweep them off the window sill.

Then things got disgusting.

FAIR WARNING, I THOUGHT WHAT FOLLOWS WAS GROSS
Picking up this evening, I found yet another dead fly sitting on a windowsill. I was about to brush it into a bin, but then I saw some motion. Looking closer, there were pinhead-sized maggots crawling out of its abdomen, one at a time, falling onto the wooden sill, and writhing there. This called for the bleach spray.
Had not seen that before. I had heard of it happening, but first time ever witnessing it. Would really prefer to not have maggots all over the windows.

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:06 pm

Yes, pretty gross, but worse stuff has been posted without the spoiler tag. :lol:

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:53 pm

Well i realized a few hours ago i managed to forget my go pro session along with a few other goodies in a field by a walmart. It will almost certainly be unnoticable to anyone not looking for it so i'm gonna ping a few locals on my favorite rc hobby forum and see if they want to pick it up. No benifit for me really, i won't go home for several more months and i'll end up just buying a new one this weekend but at least someone can get some use out of it and it won't sit in a field and rot while waiting to get run over by a commercial lawnmower.
When drunk.....

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:47 pm

It's no Green Washcloth or any other TRAJ-related story, but I just found (and pulled) an 8 inch chest hair.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:51 pm

Pics beside a spaghetti noodle or it didn't happen.
When drunk.....

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:55 pm

Heiwashin wrote:
Pics beside a spaghetti noodle or it didn't happen.

There's the problem. They're so gray at this point that I simply can't make them show up on a camera, especially if they're still attached.

The length of it surprised me when I found it, especially as I'd yet to find it in the shower (where most related discoveries occur). I got a twinge when I pulled it, so it was me.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:58 pm

The boat season died down so it's time for another sidestep/promotion at work. As of this evening i'm a dedicated heavy haul and oversized john deere driver. It's a lot more thinking and preparation because of how oversized is regulated, and the stresses of moving large equipment through traffic, but it'll be a new fun thing to do. I at least have some experience with oversized stuff so my learning curve should be eased a little bit. I'll still be hauling boats too when i'm in the position to do so.

Also in the process of this i had a sit down the the vp of safety for the company while he carefully scrutinized every detail of my record. I had sweat coming out of places i didn't know was possible, but it obviously went pretty well. I'm pretty sure i'll be going back to a 379 truck for the beefier transmissions and other equipment we have in them.

An example john deere load. It gonna be fun. :D

When drunk.....

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:17 pm

Egads, driving a box truck was stressful enough for me. No thanks!

In other goings-on, I am in Indianapolis to judge in the Indiana Brewers' Cup. Had a flight of mostly mediocre English brown ales this evening. No idea what I'm judging tomorrow, I told them to put me wherever they need me. Which means my odds of getting one of the "weird" categories like spice/herb/vegetable beer goes up, since a lot of people request that they *not* be put on those categories! I actually like mixing it up, you get to try some really interesting and unique beers that way.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:08 pm

My favorite pecadillo of a website, the local NBC affiliate, posted this today:

It's a legitimate human interest tidbit, especially given all the new arrivals to Colorado and the trouble they must have figuring out Denver and its multitude of suburbs.

But the combination of bad auto-cropping on the front page teaser, and the ensuing discussion over how people are mangling the name, leaves me with this:

Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:15 am

I find myself doing endless research lately on paramotoring. That means a purchase is probably eminent. What I need to know is the same problem I always have related to motors. How well will a 2 stroke or 4 stroke hold up to unattended time.
When drunk.....

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:37 am

Heiwashin wrote:
What I need to know is the same problem I always have related to motors. How well will a 2 stroke or 4 stroke hold up to unattended time.

A 4-stroke filled with ethanol-free gas will hold up best, especially with some stabilizer in it. A 2-stroke mix with ethanol-free might be OK after a good shake of the fuel tank to remix the oil. Anything with E10 or E15 is courting disaster and hours spent "rebuilding" tiny little carburetors.

That said, depending on the tank plumbing, the best bet would be to drain the tank and run the engine dry.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:02 am

Another thing is I can't really tell how many hours these motors hold up. I see they need tons of maintenance but no estimations on the cost over time for a 220 motor.
When drunk.....

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:11 am

Heiwashin wrote:
Another thing is I can't really tell how many hours these motors hold up. I see they need tons of maintenance but no estimations on the cost over time for a 220 motor.

I believe that falls under the axiom "If you have to ask, you can't afford the hobby."

For all the bizarre stuff your truck seems to accumulate, I hope you have more than the basic 10# fire extinguisher.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration