Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Re: DYMT: Imi's Legacy

Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:52 pm

Question from coworker in a Jira ticket: "X says that people A, B, and C aren't showing up in Y application. Can we make sure these people are being included in Z export?" Uh, yeah, just run the export and look for their names. Oh, look, there they are. :roll: :roll:

Unfortunately it takes a day for me to answer these things because all Jira tickets get funneled into a single queue, which my boss goes through and weeds out stuff that doesn't belong there and sends it to me to answer. The customer didn't have to wait a day, though, because the coworker that submitted this retarded Jira ticket in the first place could have just run the file his/herself and found out without creating a Jira ticket or making the customer wait a day. JUST RUN THE F***ING EXPORT YOURSELF YOU LAZY TWIT
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:35 pm

Getting ready to buy my paramotor wing. Pretty excited to start buying my gear.
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:48 am

You know what I love. Public restrooms with chest high walls or no doors.
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

Chuckaluphagus
Gerbil Elite

Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:34 am

Redocbew wrote:
Business people are weird.

Even though I've been building software for a living for 10+ years now, I realized the other day I'm just not interested in moving up the tree, running a team, and yadda yadda. I just want to build stuff.

I've run into this. I am a translator, and there's really nowhere to move up unless I want to start my own firm and have employees. Not interested at all. But I've had numerous people over the years tell me something along the lines of, "You're never going to start (making the big money/advance your career) if you don't move up the chain." This despite the fact that I truly like my work and my job, and that I make a comfortable living as it is.

I once had to explain to an attorney that being a translator wasn't just a temporary career until I got into law school. He was honestly befuddled.

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:10 am

Yes, there really does seem to be a mentality that there's something wrong with you if you don't aspire to moving up into management or owning your own business. I don't enjoy (nor do I think I am particularly good at) managing people. Being a self-employed software contractor was OK, did it for 10 years and made a decent living at it.

These days I'm perfectly happy to crank out code and give advice on technical/architecture issues. I also seem to have developed a reputation for being one of the "go to" people whenever a "deep dive" is required to root cause a stubborn bug or performance problem that has everyone else stumped. I (mostly) enjoy my work, and it pays well.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:44 pm

Why does it have to be about "advancing the career"? Why can't it be about doing something you enjoy? I think that's the point you're making.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:48 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
Why does it have to be about "advancing the career"? Why can't it be about doing something you enjoy? I think that's the point you're making.

Yup. You hit the nail on the head.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:53 pm

Ties into the same cultural mindset that demands you buy the biggest most expensive house you can almost afford, and a new car every three years. Because if you don't own things then you're not important.
When drunk.....

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:35 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:

Unfortunately, in many fields your income tends to plateau unless you're constantly moving up the ladder or into new areas, or else have some obscure subject matter expertise sufficient to hold the company hostage in a salary negotiation.

Even if you're not a money chaser, a "comfortable income" can start to thin down as inflation, new family members, or old age begin to chissel it away.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Cuhulin
Gerbil First Class

Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:42 pm

Mr Bill wrote:
I turn 60 in ten days. I'm bored, you guys need to entertain me.
Blue Oyster Cult
I got a fever

Happy Birthday (a little belated, but I've gotten slower since my own 60th back in the day)!!!!

The 60's are good years!
For Work: Corsair One Pro, i7-7700, 16GB, GTX 1080, Samsung 49KS8000 and 2xAsus 27" 4K, 2 x Sonos Play 5

For Play: Ryzen 5, MSI B350M, 8GB, Radeon 580 and building....

superjawes
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:55 pm

ludi wrote:
derFunkenstein wrote:

Unfortunately, in many fields your income tends to plateau unless you're constantly moving up the ladder or into new areas, or else have some obscure subject matter expertise sufficient to hold the company hostage in a salary negotiation.

Even if you're not a money chaser, a "comfortable income" can start to thin down as inflation, new family members, or old age begin to chissel it away.

Indeed. Every professional career seems to be "pay for performance", which means (or at least implies) that you must move up the ladder in order to keep up with (or at least outpace) inflation.

And speaking as a filthy millennial, the common knowledge we're sharing is to change companies every few years because it's the best way to earn more money, and my experience supports that (I had one promotion worth ~6% increase, but changing companies was a ~15% increase). It's not what I want to do, but if it makes fiscal sense...
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

Vhalidictes
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:05 pm

superjawes wrote:
ludi wrote:
derFunkenstein wrote:

Indeed. Every professional career seems to be "pay for performance", which means (or at least implies) that you must move up the ladder in order to keep up with (or at least outpace) inflation.

And speaking as a filthy millennial, the common knowledge we're sharing is to change companies every few years because it's the best way to earn more money, and my experience supports that (I had one promotion worth ~6% increase, but changing companies was a ~15% increase). It's not what I want to do, but if it makes fiscal sense...

It's even more insane than that; If you switch companies too many times you end up either making too much for your position, or looking like a ladder climber (isn't that supposed to be a good thing?). So the trick is to move between companies... but not too often.

And heaven help you if you enjoy your job, inflation can really loom then. (FWIW COLA seems to now refer to soda, not a pay increase. Fun Times for everyone.)

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:16 pm

superjawes wrote:

It's not just Millennials. It's been the way to double-digit pay increases since I joined the workforce in 1986 or so, especially in the financial industry (in which I've been since 1986) where you can bring a book of business with you to your new employer to cop that new title and salary.

That said, that path requires extroverted sales skills and absolutely no deficits in self-confidence. Probably explains why I washed out of that world to end up on the backwater beach known as the public sector. At 21 years in I've come to accept that I truly do work for the Island of Misfit Toys (have fun with that one).

Do I wish I had done better? That's bloody obvious. Did I ever have, or have the potential to acquire, the interpersonal skills needed to reach the pinnacle? No. It was somewhere around year 15 when I finally told what little ego I had then: "face it, you're a lifer". Haven't cared a whit since then.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:52 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
superjawes wrote:

It's not just Millennials. It's been the way to double-digit pay increases since I joined the workforce in 1986 or so, especially in the financial industry (in which I've been since 1986) where you can bring a book of business with you to your new employer to cop that new title and salary.

That said, that path requires extroverted sales skills and absolutely no deficits in self-confidence. Probably explains why I washed out of that world to end up on the backwater beach known as the public sector. At 21 years in I've come to accept that I truly do work for the Island of Misfit Toys (have fun with that one).

Do I wish I had done better? That's bloody obvious. Did I ever have, or have the potential to acquire, the interpersonal skills needed to reach the pinnacle? No. It was somewhere around year 15 when I finally told what little ego I had then: "face it, you're a lifer". Haven't cared a whit since then.

Yeah, changing jobs to move up the pay scale (or even just keep pace with inflation) has been the name of the game as long as I've been in the tech industry (which is since the 1980s). It's unfortunate that management typically does not understand that it would be more cost-effective over the long run to retain people who understand the business and the products rather than having to constantly re-train new people to do the same jobs, but it is what it is. The problem is especially acute in software development due to the poor-to-nonexistent specifications and design documentation for many software projects, which makes it very difficult for new hires to become productive in a reasonable amount of time.

Through most of my career, conventional wisdom for software engineers was that multiple jobs of less than ~1 year duration were a major red flag, but if you stayed somewhere ~5+ years without moving into management you'd start to fall far enough behind the salary curve for it to be a major issue (once you've been there that long they figure you're a "lifer" and take you for granted).

Not counting short-term contract gigs (I was a mercenary for about a decade roughly in the middle of my career), IIRC the shortest I have stayed at a job was ~9 months. Longest was ~10 years. Been at the current place for just shy of two years now; will probably stick around a while yet (possibly even until retirement!) unless things take a turn for the worse, which is always a possibility in tech. For now, the work is interesting enough, and I'm compensated well.

Most of my job moves have been for better pay and/or more interesting/rewarding work. The ones that weren't were "Holy crap, this place is gonna implode, time to abandon ship!" situations. I've always stayed one step ahead of the reaper, voluntarily heading for the exit before the layoffs hit. On the plus side, that means I've never been unemployed. On the minus side, that means I've never received a severance package. :-?

I hate office politics; but you do need to keep your ear to the ground, so you can tell when the brown goo is about to hit the rotating blades and formulate a contingency plan! :lol:

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:20 pm

On a lighter note, the R&D department where I work had a group outing today, to a Whirlyball place. They did this last year too. Due to the new corporate overlords it wasn't open bar like last time (they provided a nice lunch but if you wanted alcohol you had to pay for it yourself), but it was still a lot of fun. I had a great time, and I hope it continues to be an annual tradition.

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:38 pm

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:39 am

superjawes wrote:

I've recently had feelings like this is what I (will soon) need to do, but it's going to be very hard to walk away from five weeks of vacation time. :lol:

Loyalty to the company was my dad's generation's thing (and the ones before it). He worked at the same place for 41 years. But companies show little loyalty to employees.

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:45 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
I've recently had feelings like this is what I (will soon) need to do, but it's going to be very hard to walk away from five weeks of vacation time. :lol:

Yeah, I gave up 5 weeks of PTO and a very nice work environment when I left Fermilab. My pay was stagnating though, and it was time to go.

derFunkenstein wrote:
Loyalty to the company was my dad's generation's thing (and the ones before it). He worked at the same place for 41 years. But companies show little loyalty to employees.

Yup. My dad worked at the same place the entire time I was growing up, and eventually retired from there. This is becoming increasingly rare, and is practically unheard of in tech these days.

I think the people who really got screwed were the people who got caught in the transition away from the "you have a job for life" mindset. When the massive waves of layoffs hit during the bursting of the dot-com bubble, thousands of Lucent (formerly Bell Labs) employees had trouble finding work. Not only was there a sudden glut of people looking, many of them had not been on a job interview since the one that got them the job at Bell Labs, straight out of college.

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:50 am

So I'm on the shuttle bus to the commuter station right now, and the driver has his 2-way radio turned up. Apparently it is the same frequency used by the local school bus company. There's a bunch of chatter about them somehow getting 2 buses assigned to the same route this morning. One driver saying most of the kids she's supposed to pick up aren't there, and the other driver asking why there's another driver on the same route. :lol:

Edit: Also had a woman who got on after my stop tell me that I was in "her" seat. After we arrived at the train station and got off the bus, one of the other passengers said to me "she's done that to me too". People are weird.

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:09 am

just brew it! wrote:
a group outing today, to a Whirlyball place.
I had never heard of Whirlyball before but it looks like a lot of fun. Unfortunately it seems that the only place in Canada that does Whirlyball is down in Toronto, but we have family there so maybe next time we go visit we can give it a go.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:53 am

just brew it! wrote:

Edit: Also had a woman who got on after my stop tell me that I was in "her" seat. After we arrived at the train station and got off the bus, one of the other passengers said to me "she's done that to me too". People are weird.

I'm not nice during situations like that. I would have said something along the lines of:
Good. Or
Lucky there's more seats. Or
I'm sitting in my seat too. Or
Standing in it would be weird.
So on so on. I always look at people who start conflicts with me in public as a chance to brush up on my jerk skills.
When drunk.....

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:08 am

just brew it! wrote:

Ain't Chicago fun? Last year's trip to Chicago included a drunken/stoned shirtless 20-something piling on to the Blue train from O'Hare to the Loop and spending several stops telling his life story and why we should donate to his cause (continued intoxication, most likely). Having traveled to Chicago many times I just treated him as ignorable performance art. Foreign tourists on the same train were not so blasé.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:46 pm

So, how's that for ad placement:

Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:00 pm

I've been really busy lately so i have a few things to post, this is the most recent and unusual. I'll try to get to the others later.

This can happen for many reasons, the grand majority of which are mechanical failures on the trailer tires or brakes, or in unlucky cases of too much downhill brake heat. As others have mentioned here before it's possible for car drivers to cause this by pulling in front of a truck and slowing down when he's going downhill although the truck driver would probably have to be new since there are several extra mistakes required to reach this point.

The heat was so intense i felt it through my window, as precise as the visual sense of someone waving a flashlight. I felt the exact direction of the fire on my body with the windows up as i was driving by at that speed.

When drunk.....

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:10 pm

Heiwashin wrote:
This can happen for many reasons, the grand majority of which are mechanical failures on the trailer tires or brakes, or in unlucky cases of too much downhill brake heat.

Or, when some other genius doesn't correctly secure their load (skip to 16:30 for the driver interview).

At least twice in recent years I've seen a mattress flapping its way loose in the wind because somebody tied it to a car roof and then went for highway speeds, but didn't add a tiedown point in parallel with the airflow. Even if the mattress gets to the destination without ruining some other driver's day, the springs and sidewalls have got to be wrecked after all that flapping.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:20 pm

About two months ago someone merged in front of me with his tailgate down and a box full of random metal sitting on it. This was the aftermath for me.

Whats going on here is my airline leaving the filled storage tank was severed, and the service(activation) lines connecting my brakes were all severed. The result was that if i pressed the brake even lightly, the filled tank fully emptied in one explosive like blast and then my air bled out of both the tank and my service lines. The compressor couldn't keep up, so i couldn't use the brakes until i got somewhere safe to stop. If i used them too much the entire trucks brakes would lock at 100%. Had it broken the line entering my tank, visible on the right, all of my air would have left the trailer and locked up the springs brakes.

When drunk.....

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:15 am

All hail the mighty oak!

Without oak trees we would not have Bourbon (which by definition is aged in charred oak barrels), oak-aged wine and beer (there's no substitute for the unique character it imparts), Schlenkerla Doppelbock (an absolutely amazing one-of-a-kind German beer brewed with oak-smoked malt), or truffles (which grow in symbiosis with their roots). The absence of these things would make the world a less enjoyable place.

Edit: I forgot shiitake mushrooms, which grow on decaying oak logs!

superjawes
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:25 am

Not sure what brought on the oak praise, but I'll raise a glass to it!
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:48 am

Vhalidictes
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:04 am

File under: "You know it's been too long, when..."

Rancid concert in Las Vegas: Awesome.
Got there too early and was right up next to the stage: Awesome.
Showered in crap beer: Eh, it happens.
Being too close to moshing teenagers: Terribad.

I guess the good news was that I found out the Dropkick Murphys can play really well (and really loudly - leaving the stage area probably saved my hearing).