Personal computing discussed

Moderators: Captain Ned, emkubed

tanker27
Gold subscriber
Lord High Gerbil

Re: DYMT: Imi's Legacy

Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:13 pm

Vhalidictes wrote:
Wait! Before you reject that location, please consider the advantages of a total lack of Internet access!

Which is exactly my conundrum! I need something more than DSL and certainly NO Satellite. Cable preferably. Right now I am rocking business class with my cable. The reason, My wife works from home as a Virtual teacher. She needs it. And I also telecommute one to two times a week. So I will need it. But we want something a little more rural e.g. not in a subdivision with a little more space, 2 acres-ish. But the problem is very few places have cable/fiber ran to them. Of course I could pay an arm and leg to get it done but really its not feasible.

The're just isnt very many places like that. Oh and the house itself needs to be 4br 2 bath, or 3br 2 bath with bonus room, or 3 br 2bath with basement, or some combination thereof...But you get it.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

Vhalidictes
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:16 pm

Do what my Dad did - buy a plot of land with local Cable company access, build on it, pay the 10K to extend the cable (Internet-only) service, profit. 

Side benefits are low costs, no neighbors, great views, custom house just the way you want it. Oh, and a free NRA membership.

tanker27
Gold subscriber
Lord High Gerbil

Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:44 pm

10K just to run the cable from the street? :o holy hell I would have to some how work that into the mortgage. And since my mortgage is most certainly going to be a VA one I am sure they will outright reject that!.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:37 pm

Well gee Ned, I can't help it if you have weird priorities! Call it enhanced home security
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

ludi
Emperor Gerbilius I

Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:05 pm

tanker27 wrote:
10K just to run the cable from the street?  :o holy hell I would have to some how work that into the mortgage. And since my mortgage is most certainly going to be a VA one I am sure they will outright reject that!.

Probably depends on whether the VA will issue mortgages for new construction, and if so, how they appraise the building costs.  Utility access fees are a normal cost of building a house.  In a planned community, the developer normally pays for all of the infrastructure improvement costs and rolls the cost into the home sales.  If you build your own somewhere, then you get to see those directly.

Of course, if you go build an SFR in the middle of nowhere and then apply for $900k loan to extend service 25 miles back to the nearest pole, expect a horselaugh.  But $10k to run service a couple thousand feet from the mailbox to the middle of the property might be acceptable.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Vhalidictes
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:10 pm

tanker27 wrote:
10K just to run the cable from the street?  :o holy hell I would have to some how work that into the mortgage. And since my mortgage is most certainly going to be a VA one I am sure they will outright reject that!.

It wasn't too bad. His house was on a brand-new driveway that's.... about a quarter-mile long. So a half-mile from the coax head-end on the next-door property. That's actually a little low from what I understand.

The land parcel he purchased wasn't a separate property before so it had no previous utility connections.

tanker27
Gold subscriber
Lord High Gerbil

Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:22 am

ludi wrote:
Probably depends on whether the VA will issue mortgages for new construction,

VA doesn't do construction loans/mortgages. (In the traditional sense.) Its one of their drawbacks. You'd have to secure a traditional construction loan then roll that into a VA mortgage. It's doable but very tricky. Most builders in my area want 7-10% up front.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

Redocbew
Gold subscriber
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:07 am

At 12:03 AM I get this email from Amazon: "President's Day savings on mattresses & area rugs".

What kind of weird insomniac shopper list did they put me on.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:00 am

I think it's more that you bought something in that category from Amazon once and now you're flagged for that stuff. I get that kind of crap from them all the time. "Oh, you once bought a programmable thermostat. Perhaps you'd like to collect the whole set?"

Newegg is worse, though. A half hour after I look at CPU or graphics card prices I get an email. "Still shopping for X?"
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
I control the groove

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:23 am

https://contagions.wordpress.com/2017/0 ... n-context/

Ötzi suffered from Lyme disease. Probably endemic back in those days.
If the Earth were flat, cats would have pushed everything off of it by now.

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:56 pm

ESR, keeper of the Jargon File, has been working up a 21st Century version of the same, found here:

http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/things-eve ... once-knew/

For those who may not dabble in the political battles of the early UNIX/hacker days, ESR was/is the sane counterpoint to RMS.

Redocbew
Gold subscriber
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:07 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
I think it's more that you bought something in that category from Amazon once and now you're flagged for that stuff. I get that kind of crap from them all the time. "Oh, you once bought a programmable thermostat. Perhaps you'd like to collect the whole set?"

Newegg is worse, though. A half hour after I look at CPU or graphics card prices I get an email. "Still shopping for X?"

That's the really weird part. I've never bought a mattress or area rug from Amazon.

When I worked in ecomm I always argued against the "still shopping for X" emails, because they're just creepy.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

Redocbew
Gold subscriber
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:19 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
ESR, keeper of the Jargon File, has been working up a 21st Century version of the same, found here:

http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/things-eve ... once-knew/

If ASCII is an 8bit character encoding standard, then what do we call 4bit character encoding?

Half-ASCII.
/ducks

Heiwashin
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:19 pm

Redocbew wrote:
If ASCII is an 8bit character encoding standard, then what do we call 4bit character encoding?

Half-ASCII.
/ducks

You didn't just do that. :x
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:14 am

my cousin just announced his candidacy for mayor of Albquerque. Its shocking to see the little hyper punk I remember from childhood doing something :lol:
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:00 am

Redocbew wrote:

Half-ASCII.
/ducks

But it's base 2. So shouldn't that be 7-bit? :wink:

(Well 6 actually...technically ASCII is 7-bit...)

I also feel old. I already knew most of the trivia in the linked page.
If the world isn't making sense to you, you're either drinking too much or not drinking enough.

synthtel2
Gold subscriber
Gerbil XP

Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:53 pm

I already knew most of it, and I'm not even 25 yet. History is fun. :lol:

Heiwashin
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:23 pm

My sd card for my dash camera failed. It rolls about every three hours but I was expecting it to last about two years. I guess it lasted about one.
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

Redocbew
Gold subscriber
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:37 pm

Random wikipedia surfing leads me here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barn_(unit)

The megabarn is my new favorite unit. :P

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:51 pm

So you should really dig the Shake and the Jiffy.

Heiwashin
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:31 pm

I was expecting to see a measurement referencing an actual animal barn.. :lol:
When drunk.....

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:46 am

Heiwashin wrote:
My sd card for my dash camera failed. It rolls about every three hours but I was expecting it to last about two years. I guess it lasted about one.

I don't have a dashcam but a colleague does and was talking about this. Not sure if you are aware but apparently there is a big difference between different manufacturers on SD card life when used in a dashcam as it is doing continuous writes.

Heiwashin
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:04 am

I tend to just use Sandisk for most things. I'll have to get a new one this weekend at Walmart. Everytime my camera is down something crazy happens.
When drunk.....

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:01 pm

after two days rearranging my workshop I am sore and achy but reasonably happy with ti. Maybe I should buy a gun to celebrate. Or an impact driver. I'm not sure which.

Chuckaluphagus
Silver subscriber
Gerbil Elite

Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:40 pm

paulWTAMU wrote:
after two days rearranging my workshop I am sore and achy but reasonably happy with ti. Maybe I should buy a gun to celebrate. Or an impact driver. I'm not sure which.

This is the Internet. Someone, somewhere, has already posted a video of a hybrid impact driver/gun that you could work from.

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:19 am

Practice random acts of kindness.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:21 pm

This is Texas...I think I've met a vegan once? Maybe?

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:57 pm

notfred wrote:
Heiwashin wrote:

I don't have a dashcam but a colleague does and was talking about this. Not sure if you are aware but apparently there is a big difference between different manufacturers on SD card life when used in a dashcam as it is doing continuous writes.

I was wondering about micro-SD card longevity myself the other day. I have a SanDisk 128GB micro-SD card in my phone, and lately it seems to be randomly corrupting music files. The card is a couple of years old but has seen nowhere near the kind of write activity it would've been subjected to in a dashcam. It has maybe been completely overwritten a few times at most. The wrinkle is, prior to being used in my phone it was in my Sansa Clip+ music player, and (since the Clip+ doesn't understand exFAT) the card was reformatted FAT32 (I did not bother formatting it back to exFAT when I moved it to the phone). Not sure if there's a problem with reformatting high-capacity micro-SD cards as FAT32...
If the world isn't making sense to you, you're either drinking too much or not drinking enough.

Heiwashin
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:02 pm

I'm probably gonna look into some tests so I have a shot at getting something that lasts a bit longer.
When drunk.....

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:07 pm

paulWTAMU wrote:
This is Texas...I think I've met a vegan once? Maybe?

Probably had to drive to Austin to find one (yikes, Amarillo to Austin is 1/2 of my drive to TRBBQ).