Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:09 pm

Looks like SanDisk are the ones to avoid in dashcams:
https://www.carcamcentral.com/guide/rec ... ltra-cards

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Re: DYMT: Imi's Legacy

Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:34 pm

Well that figures. Just ordered a Lexar to replace the SanDisk that has been misbehaving in my phone. Over a dozen corrupted music files in the past week, so it appears to be on the way out. SanDisk used to be a respected brand for flash; I guess not any more?

If my (admittedly anecdotal with just one data point) experience is any indication, the problem is NOT overly aggressive write-locking of the card when bad sectors start happening, as speculated in the linked article. My SanDisk appears to have a LOT of bad/marginal sectors, and it still allows new files to be written to it.

Edit: I should also mention that recopying everything to the SanDisk card and verifying it afterwards yielded no errors. So at least in my case, the problem appears to be one of poor data retention over time. I suppose this is less of an issue for a dashcam, but it does seem to be indicative of some sort of underlying problem (which is likely going to get worse as the card wears).

Edit 2: Until the Lexar arrives I'm going to swap in the Emtec card from my (now mostly unused) Sansa Clip+ player. They're certainly not a household name, but I've never had problems with bad sectors on it. After doing a little digging, I've learned that Emtec is apparently what's left of the data storage products division of BASF, so maybe they still have a clue. More of a clue than Sandisk? No idea (fingers crossed).
The years just pass like trains. I wave, but they don't slow down.
-- Steven Wilson

Heiwashin
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:03 pm

In my case the card seems to allow writing for a while then fails and the camera just stops recording.
Guess i'll give this trancend high endurance a shot. If it lasts at least as long as the card i was using did that should be okay.
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:56 pm

Texans are generally used to long drives. Just got back from a four hour round trip we took as a day trip to a lake in the eastern panhandle.

(Long assed drive)[https://www.google.com/maps?q=amarillo+to+canadian+tx&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiJiaCXhK_SAhUIrVQKHd26CmgQ_AUICCgB]

Kids had a blast though; ran back adn forth on a foot bridge (that's 3200+ feet long) while watching trains on a nearby train bridge go.

This is about 1/2 down the bridge

Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:23 pm

I remember (and have pics) from when mine was that young and that unconcerned with the world at large. Savor and treasure these moments, as they shan't occur once double-digit ages hit.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization.

farmpuma
Silver subscriber
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Location: Soybean field, IN, USA, Earth .. just a bit south of John .. err .... Fart Wayne, Indiana

Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:07 am

Captain Ned wrote:
paulWTAMU wrote:
This is Texas...I think I've met a vegan once? Maybe?

Probably had to drive to Austin to find one (yikes, Amarillo to Austin is 1/2 of my drive to TRBBQ).

Reminds me of my move from Phoenix, AZ to Fort Lauderdale, FL back in the fall of 1978. I was towing a heavily loaded five by eight Uhaul with everything I owned that wouldn't fit in the camper shell including a complete Chevy 350 V8 with an eleven inch clutch plus scatter shield and four speed trans behind a 1969 Datsun 1300CC pickup. Forty-five mph was a fairly comfortable cruising speed, but on the steep grades in NM and west TX I was in the semi lane in second gear. It took me a full day and a half just to cross TX, ~880 miles as I recall.
Image Image
.* * M-51 * *. .The Whirlpool Galaxy.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:14 am

I was excited when my folks moved from Houston to Dallas because it meant my drive went from ~10 hours to ~6 hours to visit them.

I once drove, in one day, from Amarillo to Brownsville. 12 or 13 hours, rotating drivers (was for a college class, we were helping with indigo and ocelot surveys). I *never* want to do that again. Ever. My butt was sore for 2-3 days.
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

Heiwashin
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:26 pm

Whenever i accidentally click youtube clickbait nonsense i get mad because i know it's going to take a week of removing recommendations to undo the damage.
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

Heiwashin
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:58 pm

Secondly, today i watched a live concert broadcast on youtube,and i was watching a jimmy kimmel skit and noticed something. Photographers seriously need to learn to lock up their damned mirrors when taking photo's during sensitive times. jerks.
When drunk.....

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:05 pm

So we got really small bonuses this year. Given that I had basically no expectation of getting *any* bonus, it's still gravy. Rule #1 of keeping your sanity in a large corporate environment is to keep your expectations low.

TBH I can't complain much. They pay me well, and the stress level has been lower than at my past two jobs (so far).
-- Steven Wilson

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:04 am

Youngest daughter was driving to Ottawa, IL today to visit a friend. Ottawa apparently got hit by a tornado, with one confirmed fatality. Daughter's OK (pulled over under a highway overpass to wait the storm out).
-- Steven Wilson

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:52 am

Wow, glad to hear that! Here in the other (real :) ) Ottawa we fortunately don't get much in the way of tornados.

My father in law actually took some courses at Ottawa University, Illinois after living in Ottawa, Ontario. Causes some confusion when he starts telling stories about "When I was in Ottawa..."

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:09 am

Illinois also has a Paris and a Cairo (pronounced Kay-row)... :D
-- Steven Wilson

tanker27
Gold subscriber
Lord High Gerbil

Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:24 am

just brew it! wrote:
Cairo (pronounced Kay-row)... :D

Georgia also has this. And pronounced the same way too.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:56 am

About 20 miles away from me, Illinois has San Jose, pronounced San Joe's. I find that to be a far greater offense than Cairo. :lol:
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
I control the groove

superjawes
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:06 am

Apparently there's a Des Moines, Washington roughly pronounced "Dess Moy-ness" because "this is Washington, not Iowa" :roll:
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. Tis a silly place.

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:08 am

Calais, VT.

Pronounced KAL-ess.

Vhalidictes
Gerbil Elite

Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:08 am

just brew it! wrote:
Illinois also has a Paris and a Cairo (pronounced Kay-row)... :D

This is fairly common. I grew up on Denise ("dee-nice") road near the town of Chili ("chai-lie"). Confused the crap out of people not from upstate New York, but it was nice to instantly know who the out-of-towners were.
I have never understood the mindset of folks who are very hostile to science and progress and yet still use the products produced by the use of science, and still live in a modern society as well.

Heiwashin
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:02 pm

Maybe I just didn't recognize it when I was younger but has it always been a game of 20 questions just to order some quick fast food? You go to subway, do you want to try our special, do you want double meat, make that a footlong? combo? cookies? drink? Rewards card? I've tried different strategies to answer all of these upfront to save myself the annoyance but then they get information overload and ask everything again anyway.
When drunk.....

superjawes
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:28 pm

Heiwashin wrote:
Maybe I just didn't recognize it when I was younger but has it always been a game of 20 questions just to order some quick fast food? You go to subway, do you want to try our special, do you want double meat, make that a footlong? combo? cookies? drink? Rewards card? I've tried different strategies to answer all of these upfront to save myself the annoyance but then they get information overload and ask everything again anyway.

That seems either new or a district/regional push from some manager. They're obviously doing it to sell you more stuff (and make more money). I worked at a pizza place and GameStop years ago, and both had their own versions of these (I mean complaining about GameStop employees is practically a national pastime).

Best practice in my experience (as both an employee and a customer): use short, emotionless answers. Your employees of the month will probably go through the script every time, but many others will figure out that you're not going to pad the store's numbers, and they'll get your through the line ASAP to try the next customer.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. Tis a silly place.

synthtel2
Gold subscriber
Gerbil XP

Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:47 pm

There's an Ottawa, KS too, and it's a couple hours from Manhattan, KS.

At Subway, I've basically got their script memorized and just answer each item on it right before they ask about it. They mostly don't try to push things like specials and double meat, but I guess they might not bother just because I clearly know the routine and what I want out of it. (I don't see too much of it towards other customers either, so it being a regional thing seems more likely.) Combo/cookie/drink questions can be bypassed pretty quickly by saying "just the sandwich".

superjawes wrote:
Best practice in my experience (as both an employee and a customer): use short, emotionless answers. Your employees of the month will probably go through the script every time, but many others will figure out that you're not going to pad the store's numbers, and they'll get your through the line ASAP to try the next customer.

Emotionless definitely isn't a thing I try for - I guess it's more that I try to look like I already know what I want well enough that they don't need to ask more questions.

Heiwashin
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:29 pm

At the terminal switching to the boat division I've been waiting to get on for a year. I'd drink to goals achieved but I won't have the time for a while. Will have to wait until an appropriate time to celebrate with a beer. I've also accepted that I'm the type of person that likes change every two years. That being said I've already got something else in the works for late next year. Let's see if I can pull that one off now.
When drunk.....

Redocbew
Gold subscriber
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:56 pm

Congrats dude, sounds like a good deal. :D
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:09 pm

Boat division?

You hauling boats now?

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:19 pm

Hey, why not. I store objects in clouds these days; why can't he haul boats?
-- Steven Wilson

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:14 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Hey, why not. I store objects in clouds these days; why can't he haul boats?

As long as his path takes him through Holland, MI on 15 JUL 2017, all is good.

Heiwashin
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:29 pm

Yep hauling boats, one of the main plants is in mi so I'll be up there quite a bit :)
When drunk.....

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:38 pm

Heiwashin wrote:
Yep hauling boats, one of the main plants is in mi so I'll be up there quite a bit :)

Actually pretty light for their size (assuming powerboats, not sailboats with lead keels), and inherently waterproof, so should be easy loads (says the guy whose only knowledge of trucking comes from the early '70s CB craze, bad '70s Burt Reynolds movies and the Puke & Hurl truck stop in Wells River, VT).

derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:52 am

Captain Ned wrote:
bad '70s Burt Reynolds movies

The Smokey and the Bandit series is a cherished national treasure.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
I control the groove

Heiwashin
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:58 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
Captain Ned wrote:
bad '70s Burt Reynolds movies

The Smokey and the Bandit series is a cherished national treasure.

Time for another confession, one i'm pretty sure i'm going to get slapped for considering my position. I've never seen those movies. I've never seen any trucking movies actually.
When drunk.....