Personal computing discussed

Moderators: Captain Ned, emkubed

Heiwashin
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Re: DYMT: Imi's Legacy

Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:19 pm

Google... How did you get my updated credit card info for Google payment without me updating it. I updated it in Verizon, steam, and Sirius XM and that's all.... What in the ****

Edit
https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/ ... -p/437779#

Really... How long has that been a thing
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:56 pm

Heiwashin wrote:
Google... How did you get my updated credit card info for Google payment without me updating it. I updated it in Verizon, steam, and Sirius XM and that's all.... What in the ****

Edit
https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/ ... -p/437779#

Really... How long has that been a thing

Whoa... wait, what? :o

I mean, I can see how this would be very convenient, but it has potential security implications. Me no likey. :evil:
The years just pass like trains. I wave, but they don't slow down.
-- Steven Wilson

derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:02 pm

If you're using Android Pay and your account is linked, I could see how it COULD be done, but I would much rather it wasn't done automatically. :o
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
I control the groove

superjawes
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:25 pm

Really scary considering there is a fairly simple solution...

Step 1: the CC company can sends notice that the card has been/will be replaced to Google/[whatever company].
Step 2: Google/[whatever company] asks the CC holder for authorization to update the card information.
Step 3: CC holder confirms or denies the update.

There. Now you can have your CC information "automatically" updated, but you can gate it to ensure that the information doesn't fall into the wrong hands.

Seriously, they didn't even ask before getting your info?
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. Tis a silly place.

Heiwashin
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:44 pm

I received no email, text, or phone call that my information was updated. The only reason i realized it is because i logged on to update the information for youtube red subscription.

And just the most relevant snippet from the link,
From a google employee

Over the past few years, Credit Card companies have instituted a service that automatically sends your updated credit card details to our billing team to update these details in your AdWords account. These details can include changes to your card number and its expiry date. Once the details have been received, your adwords(other google services use this as well) charges will be billed to the new credit card moving forward.

These services are called Visa Account Updater and Automatic Billing Updater, from Visa and Mastercard respectively.
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

ludi
Emperor Gerbilius I

Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:03 am

Heiwashin wrote:
Over the past few years, Credit Card companies have instituted a service that automatically sends your updated credit card details to our billing team to update these details in your AdWords account. These details can include changes to your card number and its expiry date. Once the details have been received, your adwords(other google services use this as well) charges will be billed to the new credit card moving forward.

These services are called Visa Account Updater and Automatic Billing Updater, from Visa and Mastercard respectively.

IOW your real beef is with the credit processor. Then again, since they bear the liability for fraudulent use, if they're comfortable offering this service then it must not be a common avenue for abuse.

It was probably buried in paragraph 23 of the ultra-fine-print in one of your "Account Terms & Conditions Update" mailers in the past couple years.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:45 am

ludi wrote:
Heiwashin wrote:

IOW your real beef is with the credit processor. Then again, since they bear the liability for fraudulent use, if they're comfortable offering this service then it must not be a common avenue for abuse.

It was probably buried in paragraph 23 of the ultra-fine-print in one of your "Account Terms & Conditions Update" mailers in the past couple years.

CC processor may bear the financial liability, but you're still going to be inconvenienced when things go south.

IMO this really should require a confirmation from the user.
-- Steven Wilson

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:06 am

just brew it! wrote:
IMO this really should require a confirmation from the user.

I'm sure the merchants pushed hard on the processors and issuers to make this happen so that card # changes wouldn't affect cash flow. Besides, processors & issuers make money on the transaction volumes as well. And yes, I'm sure it's buried deep in the fine print of your card agreement. If I've learned one thing in 20+ years of regulating, it's that corporate legal is so litigation gun-shy that they've always written the magic "get out of jail free" language somewhere in something sent to the customer. Good luck finding it.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization.

The Egg
Gold subscriber
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:51 am

Very well may have aspirated an ibuprofen. Joy.

Heiwashin
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:23 am

The Egg wrote:

I'm torn on this because the ease of dissolving and mucous membrane contact should mean it's just absorbed by ibuprofen is not friendly to mucous surfaces in the least, and it could have carried some bacteria with it. I could see the tissue damage in an area not designed to handle it with bacterial presence being a good chance for causing fluid buildup
When drunk.....

ludi
Emperor Gerbilius I

Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:58 am

Ack, two "Fulfilled by Amazon/Warehouse" deals flipped to the return bin in just over a month. The first was a phone with a poorly-worded description and was actually the wrong model; now I've got a Ubiquiti AP "used/like-new condition" which doesn't even power up. (I looked inside; there were a couple lightly smoked traces around the Ethernet port, and no odor, so it obviously happened a long time ago and nobody bothered to check it by, I dunno, plugging it in?)

Amazon is at least good about covering the return shipping, but the inconvenience does them no favors. They really needs to crack the whip over their third party suppliers, or else go back to selling their own things and leave the brokerage model to eBay et al.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:07 pm

At least they seem to have gotten the Amazon Locker stupidity sorted out. Last couple of orders I've picked up down here by the office have been fine.

The only used items I ever order through 3rd party Amazon sellers are music CDs. The only issue I've ever had with them has been cracked/damaged jewel cases, and that seems to be about as likely to happen with used CDs as with new ones bought directly from Amazon.
-- Steven Wilson

Vhalidictes
Gerbil Elite

Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:11 pm

JBI, I was wandering around a old music store about a decade ago and found a unsold Retail copy of the Star Trek II (Wrath of Khan) soundtrack. I picked it up for $5, and I was all excited to listen to it on the way home.

After unwrapping the (original 90's?) shrink-wrap, the jewel-case splintered into about twenty fragments. It must have looked hilarious, because everyone nearby in the store laughed.
I have never understood the mindset of folks who are very hostile to science and progress and yet still use the products produced by the use of science, and still live in a modern society as well.

ludi
Emperor Gerbilius I

Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:24 pm

I hadn't been paying much attention to Amazon Locker until last night, when I got offered that as a return option. I went with the UPS label since a UPS Store is closer. Seems like a good idea, though, especially for people who live in apartments or neighborhoods where mail theft is an issue.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:03 pm

ludi wrote:
I hadn't been paying much attention to Amazon Locker until last night, when I got offered that as a return option. I went with the UPS label since a UPS Store is closer. Seems like a good idea, though, especially for people who live in apartments or neighborhoods where mail theft is an issue.

I haven't had theft issues, but I've had stuff get left out in the rain.
-- Steven Wilson

The Egg
Gold subscriber
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:24 pm

Heiwashin wrote:
The Egg wrote:

I'm torn on this because the ease of dissolving and mucous membrane contact should mean it's just absorbed by ibuprofen is not friendly to mucous surfaces in the least, and it could have carried some bacteria with it. I could see the tissue damage in an area not designed to handle it with bacterial presence being a good chance for causing fluid buildup

Yeah.....not good, though I don't really feel anything anymore, and I'd be hesitant to overreact. Could have just been some of the water I took it with.

derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:57 pm

ludi wrote:
They really needs to crack the whip over their third party suppliers, or else go back to selling their own things and leave the brokerage model to eBay et al.

Brokerage is where the money is. Which is why they offer it in the first place. I've had bad luck with the party sellers and used items so I just don't go that route anymore, even if it's fulfilled by Amazon. New from third party, fulfilled by Amazon, is ok for me though.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
I control the groove

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:07 pm

our surviving dog had a fairly major siezure and there's not a vet open in town :/ There's one about 40 minutes away but we've never dealt with them at all and Nels hates car rides at the best of time.

I don't know how old he is--we got him as an adult in 09 and the shelter said he was surrendered as an adult. But I have a really bad feeling we're soon going to be dogless :( He's been slowing down a lot the last six months and our regular vet didn't see anything to suggest anything major, just age. But this came as a shock
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

ludi
Emperor Gerbilius I

Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:59 pm

FINALLY...an affordable LED replacement for a 120V, 50W, GU10, halogen floodlight that looks and performs like 95% of the real thing, available at your local Home Depot:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Philips-50W- ... /207106636

It's dimmable and even casts a partial backglow through the reflector glass for fixtures that rely upon it for aesthetics. The backglow is not as full as an actual halogen, but the forward light is almost indistinguishable at full brightness, and it uses only 6W, and it runs relatively cool, and it's just over $5/bulb at a major retail store. No more eBay Chinese knock-offs casting funny hotspots on the wall and protruding 5-10mm out of the fixture.

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:52 am

And Chuck Barris, Gong Show host and self-ascribed CIA assassin died today. In memoriam, Gene Gene, the Dancing Machine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyQA5vNjihs

This could only have happened in the 1970s. I know. I was there. JJ Cale wrote a song about it and Eric Clapton made it popular.

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:44 pm

And TCM is at this moment showing the original Japan-only version of Gojira, subtitles and all.

EDIT: If you've only seen the US-mangled version, you're missing a great flick. The original directly takes on war guilt and "special weapons" in a way that honors Japanese culture while recognizing the issue.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:39 am

I was trying to count up this month's fire activity and I think we've had more days with at least some fires than days without. There was that big 500,000 acre conflagration one weekend, but I don't think we've gone more than 2-3 days without at least a few hundred acres of grass burning somewhere in the region. And at least one or two evacuations for most of those (and substantially more for some). Last night was 60k acres in Roberts and Ochiltree but there were smaller fires in Oldham and Wheeler county too.

Please rain. Please please rain.
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

Heiwashin
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:40 pm

I didn't realize texas dealt with so many fire problems.
When drunk.....

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:07 pm

and this is only 26 out of our 250 odd counties :D

Once you get up around Lubbock on up we're essentially huge swaths of farms, ranches, and mixed grass prairie--so when it's dry, like this winter was, you've got thousands of square miles of kindling ready to go up. Combine that with our winds--gust of up to 60 most of today--and it's easy to see how fire can go wild.

The big one was, IIRC, caused by power lines sparking in high winds.

ludi
Emperor Gerbilius I

Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:39 pm

The boy officially began the first clear attempts at army-crawling today, after nearly a month of rolling around. Not coincidentally, I decided that safety wall-ties for the tower speakers finally had to be fabricated and installed.

Chuckaluphagus
Silver subscriber
Gerbil Elite

Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:13 pm

ludi wrote:
The boy officially began the first clear attempts at army-crawling today, after nearly a month of rolling around. Not coincidentally, I decided that safety wall-ties for the tower speakers finally had to be fabricated and installed.

We didn't child-proof much of our downstairs when my son was born - instead, we rearranged the living room furniture to form a sort of "baby prison field" in which we could leave him unmonitored for a few minutes, knowing he'd still be in there when we got back from getting a snack from the kitchen.

That worked until he was all of ten months old, and one day I came back with my snack and he had vanished. I called his name and immediately heard giggling from the direction of the stairs. He couldn't get past the baby gate, but he was certainly willing to try. It turns out that it only took him ten months to develop the strength to move an armchair on a hardwood floor.

ludi
Emperor Gerbilius I

Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:59 pm

Chuckaluphagus wrote:
That worked until he was all of ten months old, and one day I came back with my snack and he had vanished. I called his name and immediately heard giggling from the direction of the stairs. He couldn't get past the baby gate, but he was certainly willing to try. It turns out that it only took him ten months to develop the strength to move an armchair on a hardwood floor.

I have mixed feelings on how far to go with baby-proofing. On one hand, you can't control everything. OTOH these tower speakers are DIY designs nearly 48" high and weight about 75 pounds...each. It would be very hard for a small child to tip them over, even with intent, but if successful a fatality is entirely possible.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:04 pm

Yeah, never underestimate the determination (or ingenuity) of a small human on a mission!

I think our eldest daughter was about 2 when she figured out she could pile all of her toys against the wall, climb the pile, and look out the window. We didn't realize she was doing this, but figured it out one day when my wife heard quiet sobbing coming from the daughter's room when she was supposed to be taking a nap. She had climbed the pile of toys and laid down on the windowsill to watch the big kids playing outside. The toy pile fell over, and she couldn't get back down! :lol:
-- Steven Wilson

Chuckaluphagus
Silver subscriber
Gerbil Elite

Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:21 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Yeah, never underestimate the determination (or ingenuity) of a small human on a mission!

Very much this. Best story I have about this is not my own: 20 years ago, my friend was woken up at 5:30 AM when the police knocked on her door. They had her 2-year old son in tow, recovered from a playground just two lots down the road. He'd woken up early on a summer morning, piled items against a wall in the living room next to an open window, pushed out the screen, gotten down to the grass, and headed off to play.

The cops were driving around and saw him going down a slide in his pajamas, no adult in sight. They asked him where his parents were, and according to the story his response was, "Mommy still sleeping. SHHHH!"

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:37 pm

Chuckaluphagus wrote:
The cops were driving around and saw him going down a slide in his pajamas, no adult in sight. They asked him where his parents were, and according to the story his response was, "Mommy still sleeping. SHHHH!"

OMG... I just busted out laughing at that. Good thing I hadn't just taken a swig of my beer, or I would've given my poor abused RK-9000 keyboard another beer bath!
-- Steven Wilson