Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

just brew it!
Administrator

Re: DYMT: Imi's Legacy

Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:10 am

Heiwashin wrote:
Oh, and before you ask, my sd card died again and i have no video. The odd thing about this particular failure is that the camera was still writing to it, and it appeared to be in good order, but if you attempt to load a file or format the card it fails completely. I guess i'll have to start testing my cards occasionally. this one didn't last as long as the last one.

The modern technological miracle that is TLC...
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:35 am

That's some scary stuff. I don't know how I would handle that either.

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:06 am

just brew it! wrote:
JustAnEngineer wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
One wonders why the range safety officer failed to abort/detonate the rocket before things got that far out of control.

From some of the stuff I've read about what happened, the abort mechanism is disabled for some number of seconds after ignition to give it time to clear the launch pad/tower.

The Russian rockets don't have self-destruct systems. The most they can do is shut off the engines and wait for it to hit the ground:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Range_saf ... ce_program
https://spaceflightnow.com/news/n1307/0 ... dJWWJywVEQ

Captain Ned wrote:
Note that when one speaks of explosive disasters on ships afloat, Texas City and Halifax are by far the largest and both due to the same ingredient, ammonium nitrate.

Halifax was a real mixture:
The vessel was fully loaded with the explosives TNT and picric acid, the highly flammable fuel benzole, and guncotton.

Heiwashin - glad to hear everyone was OK!

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:57 am

Yea I'm glad it came out well too, and that the cop was understanding.

The forced decision making of that nature is really frustrating though. Companies, generally speaking, will approach the decision making process in terms of legal footing. Someone getting over in front of me and slamming the brakes puts our company in a good spot, involving people that otherwise wouldn't have been, not so much.

Then there is the idea that just because nothing happened this time, doesn't mean I made the correct choice for the given situation. Hitting cars directly in the rear is preferable to smashing the driver side and rolling them in the grass. So next time it happens, I'm at square one again.
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

Chuckaluphagus
Gerbil Elite

Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:14 am

Heiwashin wrote:
Someone getting over in front of me and slamming the brakes

I have a relative who would do this, on a regular basis, because he wanted to be "first" at any stop light. He also would scream in defiance that if he got rear-ended as a result, it would be the other driver's fault for following too closely.

I am perpetually amazed that he neither killed anyone nor was punched in the mouth for driving like that.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:17 am

Chuckaluphagus wrote:
Heiwashin wrote:
Someone getting over in front of me and slamming the brakes

I have a relative who would do this, on a regular basis, because he wanted to be "first" at any stop light. He also would scream in defiance that if he got rear-ended as a result, it would be the other driver's fault for following too closely.

I am perpetually amazed that he neither killed anyone nor was punched in the mouth for driving like that.

Let me know if he ever gets to test that theory. :lol:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

SecretMaster
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:53 am

Got hit by a car on my bike commute for the first time yesterday. Made it out in one piece (as well as my bike). I just moved to Virginia a few weeks ago so this is quite the welcome :P

Redocbew
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:31 pm

"I'd like to follow best practices for email validation."

Translation: "I don't know what you're talking about. Just take care of it."

Ok, I can do that. :P
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

MileageMayVary
Gerbil XP

Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:03 pm

SecretMaster wrote:
Got hit by a car on my bike commute for the first time yesterday. Made it out in one piece (as well as my bike). I just moved to Virginia a few weeks ago so this is quite the welcome :P

Welcome to the area!
Main rig: Ryzen 3600X, R9 290@1100MHz, 16GB@2933MHz, 1080-1440-1080 Ultrasharps.

Redocbew

Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:50 pm

My first attempt at making pizza dough went reasonably well. I'm glad I opted for the bread flour instead of just using general all purpose flour. I think that probably made a big difference. Next time I'll use less olive oil, more water and kneed the dough more before leaving it to proof. I also ended up with a lot more dough than I had expected. Overall I'm calling it a success though, and the pizza its self was pretty good also. I'm also going to make some dough scrapers in the woodshop, and maybe a few proofing bowls. The proofing bowls will be for my next cooking project: sourdough bread. :D
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:29 pm

Just got back from the annual R&D department Whirlyball outing. Beer was consumed, much fun was had, and I managed to not give myself blisters this year.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:19 pm

It is official. SWMBO approved my midlife crisis machine (unlike a Harley or a sports car, this one is actually useful) and I signed the paperwork today for a brand new John Deere X758 with a 54" deck, a 54" snowblower, and a 3-point hitch. Down side is that I will shortly run out of excuses as to the downed trees in the back yard.

The Cup will appear in pictures with the new beastie upon arrival.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:18 pm

My dad got a Cub Cadet XT2 last year. Doesn't run on diesel, probably not quite as big, and doesn't likely have the horsepower, and didn't cost nearly as much but it cuts his ~.75 acre yard really really fast. It'd cut my grass in about 10 minutes flat and a chunk of that would just be to get the gate to the back yard open.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:21 pm

Lawn mowing is actually about third down the rung of what I want this to do. It'll start its life as a log skidder as I try to clean up the back yard.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:27 pm

Yeah, you probably need the extra power then. Congrats on the purchase!
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:42 pm

Great purchase although I'm obviously biased :lol:
When drunk.....

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:27 pm

Random news filler for a random-feeling day: http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertain ... story.html

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:29 pm

Ah, so Chicagoland is to blame for beer pong and cup-stacking.

Funny, I never had any problems playing beer pong circa 1984 with the old standard "white" translucent cups (just what color IS an uncolored plastic cup that's translucent, not clear?).

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:32 pm

...and its inventor didn't even realize what he'd done:
His son Tom once sat their father down to show him the “Red Solo Cup” music video. “Dad watched the whole thing then he said to me, ‘OK, how much did we spend on that?’ And I said, ‘Dad, we didn’t spend anything,’ and he said, ‘Well, why would anyone write a song about a cup?’ I laughed and said, ‘Dad — you created an American icon!’”

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:53 pm

At our house growing up, we had ~8 acres (all grassed) and mowing was a real deal. Especially in the spring when you pretty much have to mow once a week unless you want things to get out of control (tall fescue in KS grows like crazy in the spring). We regularly mowed about 3 acres of it and the other 4-5 quite a bit less often but still tried to keep things in check.

The only reason I'm telling this story is because we had a baller ZTR John Deere and honestly, I love mowing because of it. I still love mowing because it's "me" time with just music/radio/whatever that I get to spend and just not give a crap about anything else. But yeah, jealous (sort of) of your new machine. We likely had to do a lot of similar yard jobs that you'll be doing with our equipment over the years and that thing made it so much easier.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:36 pm

After I've told you to GTFO off my roof--that you climbed onto without checking first--and snapped a picture of your truck, and you, while you're climbing down...and I have my cell phone in my left hand and my right hand under my shirt [IWB holster]...you really want to argue with me and tell me you're entirely legit? Dude, you're a dumbass and I just wish the cops had gotten here before you took off
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:31 pm

paulWTAMU wrote:
After I've told you to GTFO off my roof--that you climbed onto without checking first--and snapped a picture of your truck, and you, while you're climbing down...and I have my cell phone in my left hand and my right hand under my shirt [IWB holster]...you really want to argue with me and tell me you're entirely legit? Dude, you're a dumbass and I just wish the cops had gotten here before you took off

I think by now there's enough material in DYMT for an eight-season Reality TV run.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:38 pm

DancinJack wrote:
The only reason I'm telling this story is because we had a baller ZTR John Deere and honestly, I love mowing because of it. I still love mowing because it's "me" time with just music/radio/whatever that I get to spend and just not give a crap about anything else. But yeah, jealous (sort of) of your new machine. We likely had to do a lot of similar yard jobs that you'll be doing with our equipment over the years and that thing made it so much easier.
If I had a flat yard without trees (vertical or otherwise), I'd be rocking a ZTR and the tunes as well. However, I've got about 30' of vertical change in my yard and horizontal trees all over it. Just hope it pulls as well as the dealer claimed.

ludi wrote:
I think by now there's enough material in DYMT for an eight-season Reality TV run.
I'll let you write the pitch and sell the target demo to the network honchos.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:05 pm

You should have seen the original...I think I remember some of Action Jim's post on that one
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:40 pm

Speaking of which I met a driver that sneakily carries in his truck. Got me mulling it over again.
When drunk.....

Redocbew

Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:06 pm

On Google's 4th of July homepage California's featured recipe is **** quinoa?

Le sigh.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:21 pm

Redocbew wrote:

Le sigh.

Kansas'(my home state) is Swedish meatballs for some reason. I am not sure there is any rhyme or reason to them, or at least they didn't get input from people that actually live in those places.

I suppose I have had quinoa in CA and meatballs in KS, but I don't really think of either when thinking about those states.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

Redocbew

Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:30 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if there were a considerable number of people here in CA searching for quinoa recipes, but yeah it does seem a little hit or miss. I don't really have anything against quinoa its self. It's just on the same level as avocado toast now as something trendy.

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:06 am

Redocbew wrote:

Le sigh.

Hey, it's California. I'd expect it to be something like that.

DancinJack wrote:
Kansas'(my home state) is Swedish meatballs for some reason. I am not sure there is any rhyme or reason to them, or at least they didn't get input from people that actually live in those places.

I suppose I have had quinoa in CA and meatballs in KS, but I don't really think of either when thinking about those states.

I'd expect Swedish meatballs are really popular in Minnesota, given the large Scandinavian population there. But they probably don't search for the recipe much, since they all know how to make 'em (or know someone who does) already. :lol:

Glorious
Gerbilus Supremus

Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:55 am

heiwashin wrote:
Speaking of which I met a driver that sneakily carries in his truck. Got me mulling it over again.

Leaving aside the multiple-state legal issues, can you get fired for that as per company policy?