Personal computing discussed

Moderators: Captain Ned, emkubed

idchafee
Gold subscriber
His Holy Gerbilness

Re: DYMT: Imi's Legacy

Sat May 06, 2017 5:36 pm

If you need me, I'll be over here having a staff meeting with Mr. Walker

YOU CAN RUPTURE SOMEONE'S SPLEEN WITH A WATER BALLOON!!!!

Chuckaluphagus
Silver subscriber
Gerbil Elite

Sat May 06, 2017 6:44 pm

Found out that a newish restaurant in town offers poutine as a house specialty. Tried it with lunch today. Excellent.

I need to make a personal rule, no poutine unless I walk there and back to make up for the sheer unhealthiness of it all.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Sun May 07, 2017 6:49 am

Mmmm... haven't had poutine in a while.
If the world isn't making sense to you, you're either drinking too much or not drinking enough.

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Sun May 07, 2017 9:03 am

just brew it! wrote:
Mmmm... haven't had poutine in a while.

Place in my office building named Skinny Pancake, purveyor of oh-so-hipster crepes with local meats/cheeses, plus vegan and gluten-free options, also makes a fair-to-middlin' poutine.

It's the kind of place where you can smell the smug the instant they open the door. That said, it is in Montpeculiar, VT, so it has to conform. Only one place is allowed not to conform, and that's Charlie-Os, the biker bar.
If the Earth were flat, cats would have pushed everything off of it by now.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Mon May 08, 2017 4:24 pm

the state park near me is hosting a cobbler cooking contest on Saturday :D I'm not entering but I'm damn well attending with the kids. Cobbler is an acceptable dinner right?
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

Chuckaluphagus
Silver subscriber
Gerbil Elite

Mon May 08, 2017 5:25 pm

paulWTAMU wrote:
the state park near me is hosting a cobbler cooking contest on Saturday :D I'm not entering but I'm damn well attending with the kids. Cobbler is an acceptable dinner right?

Savory cobblers are awesome. Chicken/beef pot pie cobblers etc.

Heiwashin
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue May 09, 2017 3:37 pm

Dear Google,
I come to you with great concern about the future of the internet. Google is in a unique position as the modern powerhouse of knowledge. Fights about minor discrepancies in movie knowledge have all but ended with the coined phrase, "Google it". More and more the ability to google knowledge is becoming a part of daily life. One problem remains that is ruining this. Clickbait. Most searches these days are full of results with the 10 best items that nobody actually even checked to see were good, or the 5 things you didn't know could surprise you with how much you don't care about them. It's making it harder and harder to find actual information on the internet. Please google, give us an easy to use filter for removing obvious paid review sites, top 10's, and other nonsense clickbait from my searches.

Peace,
Some jerk
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Tue May 09, 2017 4:17 pm

I could have been a rock star of thermodynamicists today. Went to daughter's college to haul back "most" of her room before dorms close on Friday. Her room was built as a triple, yet provisioned as a double for this school year. Her one roommate moved out before Christmas, leaving her as a single in a triple. Despite all of the promises given to myself and SWMBO (who, thankfully, is in Florida right now) about getting ready for my arrival to haul out, nothing occurred.

I only wish I had taken pictures, as the almost knee-level tide of Bob-knows-what that covered every available square inch of floor would finally and irrevocably fix in the mind of budding chemists the concept of entropy. Sadi Carnot himself would point to that picture as proof positive of entropy.

More time off from work just to wind back the Second Law in that room so it can be re-expressed in my garage. The gas bill will satisfy the Third Law. Yay.

ludi
Emperor Gerbilius I

Thu May 11, 2017 5:07 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
I could have been a rock star of thermodynamicists today. Went to daughter's college to haul back "most" of her room before dorms close on Friday. Her room was built as a triple, yet provisioned as a double for this school year. Her one roommate moved out before Christmas, leaving her as a single in a triple. Despite all of the promises given to myself and SWMBO (who, thankfully, is in Florida right now) about getting ready for my arrival to haul out, nothing occurred.

I only wish I had taken pictures, as the almost knee-level tide of Bob-knows-what that covered every available square inch of floor would finally and irrevocably fix in the mind of budding chemists the concept of entropy. Sadi Carnot himself would point to that picture as proof positive of entropy.

More time off from work just to wind back the Second Law in that room so it can be re-expressed in my garage. The gas bill will satisfy the Third Law. Yay.

...when suddenly, a Wild Goodwill appears...
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Fri May 12, 2017 12:14 am

Any day we have to call CPS is a bad day. Hello, bourbon!
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Fri May 12, 2017 12:21 am

paulWTAMU wrote:
Any day we have to call CPS is a bad day. Hello, bourbon!

The day when a child's life will be improved by the intervention of the hell-hole called CPS mandates strong drink.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Fri May 12, 2017 4:45 pm

just dropping an 8 year old off and vanishing will do that.

Seriously. Someone left a kid at our office. 8ish, no clue where parents where, was there when we opened.

They weren't back yet when we closed. The police and CPS had people there by then.

AMD64Blondie
Gerbil

Sat May 13, 2017 11:42 pm

hate this..my nose won't stop leaking.

damn sinuses..

Vhalidictes
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sun May 14, 2017 7:25 pm

AMD64Blondie wrote:
hate this..my nose won't stop leaking.

damn sinuses..

It could be worse! I get bad allergies all the time, so it took a few days before I realized that in actuality I was suffering from a nasty cold...
I have never understood the mindset of folks who are very hostile to science and progress and yet still use the products produced by the use of science, and still live in a modern society as well.

Heiwashin
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sun May 14, 2017 10:19 pm

Want surprise frustration. Realizing that your keyboard doesn't have any means to send a page up, down, end or home. I would apply it to my mouses spare keys, except you must press the key in razers software, and if i use the onscreen keyboard that doesn't work either. In 20 minutes i haven't found a way to use page up and down without it being physically on your keyboard.
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

Vhalidictes
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon May 15, 2017 9:55 am

Heiwashin wrote:
Want surprise frustration. Realizing that your keyboard doesn't have any means to send a page up, down, end or home. I would apply it to my mouses spare keys, except you must press the key in razers software, and if i use the onscreen keyboard that doesn't work either. In 20 minutes i haven't found a way to use page up and down without it being physically on your keyboard.

You could change your mouse scrolling setting to "one page per click"?
I have never understood the mindset of folks who are very hostile to science and progress and yet still use the products produced by the use of science, and still live in a modern society as well.

Heiwashin
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon May 15, 2017 10:52 am

The reason i need it is for things where the arrow keys usually show previous commands on a command line. They also usually do not accept mousewheel
When drunk.....

Heiwashin
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue May 16, 2017 11:23 am

Stock market sure has been interesting this past year. I wish it was always like this.
When drunk.....

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Tue May 16, 2017 12:22 pm

Heiwashin wrote:
Stock market sure has been interesting this past year. I wish it was always like this.

That's what everyone said in early October 1987. I was working at a local bank, but in a branch about 45 minutes from home. Trade reporting was so delayed due to volume that when I left work circa 5PM it was down 200 and was down 500 as I rolled into the driveway. One of the few times I listened to NPR over the entire commute.

Disclaimer: This is not advice, it does not make predictions, it merely tells of a 30-YO event. This post is worth the price paid for viewing same.

Heiwashin
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue May 16, 2017 1:04 pm

Oh well you know I don't do anything crazy anyway. Mostly index fund and a smaller amount in a high volatility semi conductor fund.
When drunk.....

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Tue May 16, 2017 1:10 pm

Heiwashin wrote:
Oh well you know I don't do anything crazy anyway. Mostly index fund and a smaller amount in a high volatility semi conductor fund.

My sole advice (and not aimed at any specific investment vehicle) is to put into high-risk assets only what you're willing and able to lose.

Have to put those in in case the day job ever wonders why my IP logs show so many hits here.

The Egg
Gold subscriber
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue May 16, 2017 4:37 pm

Apparently my number made it onto some sort of sucker/spam list this afternoon. I generally only get one or two spam calls per week, but just within the past 2 hours I've been getting lit up.

Heiwashin
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue May 16, 2017 7:24 pm

The Egg wrote:
Apparently my number made it onto some sort of sucker/spam list this afternoon. I generally only get one or two spam calls per week, but just within the past 2 hours I've been getting lit up.

I've taken great joy in the block function on Android.
When drunk.....

ludi
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue May 16, 2017 11:51 pm

I don't even bother blocking the spammers, I almost never get the same number twice and who knows whether someone legit might pick it up a year later when the spammer has abandoned that account. I do like Google's ability to identify a "suspected spam call" on initial ringing, though.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

The Egg
Gold subscriber

Wed May 17, 2017 7:53 am

Occasionally I'll get one that keeps calling from the same number, so I usually just block them. I actually have one on my work cell which continues to leave voicemail messages (apparently this can't be stopped). The phone never rings, so it's clearly from a number I've already blocked at the phone level.

In any case, the calls seem to have stopped as quickly as they started. For now.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Thu May 18, 2017 7:15 am

So I've been out of the loop here for nearly a week due to a looming deadline. I finally feel like I can take a breather and not spend every waking minute (including on the bus/train to/from the office) working. The plan for today is work from home, knock off a little early, maybe take a nap, then brew a batch of beer this evening.

Our dog apparently just managed to snatch a bird out of mid-air in the back yard. For a klutzy 50 lb Red Heeler mix she can be darned fast (and jump pretty high) when she puts her mind to it. All small furry and feathered critters must die! (She reserves a special hatred for squirrels; goes absolutely batsh*t insane whenever she sees one out the window.)
If the world isn't making sense to you, you're either drinking too much or not drinking enough.

Chuckaluphagus
Silver subscriber
Gerbil Elite

Thu May 18, 2017 9:41 am

Our neighbor across the street is moving, house just went up for sale. She invited us over to show us the place now that it's all cleaned up and staged. In her basement is an enormous cast iron stove/oven, hooked up for gas, with two roasting and two broiling chambers and eight stove burners. It's got to be at least half a ton of metal. She said it was her mother-in-law's and was the kitchen stove until they did a renovation 25 years ago, but they'd hooked it up to the gas line in the basement and it's still working. It is a thing of beauty, let me tell you.

She's not taking it with her when she moves, but she did give me two cast iron pans that likely come from the same period - very nice pieces, markings date them to manufacture somewhere from the '30s to the '50s. No warping or cracks, minimal pitting on the undersides, nice smooth surfaces. Just need to be stripped and reseasoned, and then I'll put them into service.

just brew it! wrote:
Our dog apparently just managed to snatch a bird out of mid-air in the back yard. For a klutzy 50 lb Red Heeler mix she can be darned fast (and jump pretty high) when she puts her mind to it. All small furry and feathered critters must die! (She reserves a special hatred for squirrels; goes absolutely batsh*t insane whenever she sees one out the window.)

I'm a large, heavy, clumsy man, but every once in a while I manage to combobulate all of my limbs at the same time and can pull off a physical feat that I would not have thought myself capable of. It's one of the things that gives me hope that I won't be completely useless in the event of an emergency.

derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Fri May 19, 2017 3:12 pm

How could someone make a movie with Samuel L. Jackson and John Cusack based on a book I really enjoyed and make such a very bad movie? I watched it a couple nights ago and I keep thinking about how truly awful it was.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
I control the groove

Redocbew
Gold subscriber
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri May 19, 2017 3:20 pm

I didn't even know they had made a movie out of Cell. Stephen King adaptations have been pretty hit-or-miss. I'm hoping the upcoming Dark Tower movies don't fall into the same trap.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

DancinJack

Fri May 19, 2017 3:32 pm

Redocbew wrote:
I didn't even know they had made a movie out of Cell. Stephen King adaptations have been pretty hit-or-miss. I'm hoping the upcoming Dark Tower movies don't fall into the same trap.

It will. Just don't go into it expecting the books. If you do, there is virtually no situation in which you wouldn't be disappointed. It's kinda like the new Star Trek movies. They're "entertaining," but they are not Star Trek.

I'm actually excited for the DT movie, if only because i've been a DT fan for a long time and glad it is seeing a little more publicity.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100