Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

just brew it!
Administrator

Re: DYMT: Imi's Legacy

Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:39 pm

ludi wrote:
Captain Ned wrote:
See if this helps:

So it's like a CD library...except the consequences for accidental droppage, or hot days in the car, are much more dire.

Vinyl LPs are reasonably resilient to damage from being dropped, provided the surface is protected (as it would be, in this case). An afternoon in the car on a sunny day would definitely be bad; fortunately, mobile phonographs never really caught on (for obvious reasons), so there wasn't much reason to keep them in the car.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:34 pm

Really puzzled by the algorithms Capital One uses to flag potentially fraudulent charges. Just got a fraud alert on a digital music download I purchased on bandcamp.com. I've been buying stuff from them sporadically for a while, on the same credit card. Why are they suddenly flagging it now? :roll:

I suppose occasional false positives are better than the alternative. But this one really makes no sense, given that it is a vendor I have a history of buying stuff from.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:11 pm

One last hint:

What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:25 pm

Ahh, got it. We had the scale wrong. It's a Weird Al CD box set. :wink:

Cool.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:28 pm

just brew it! wrote:

Cool.

I'm pretty sure the vinyl version comes in the same container, as each CD is in a 12" cardboard representation of the album cover.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:31 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

Cool.

I'm pretty sure the vinyl version comes in the same container, as each CD is in a 12" cardboard representation of the album cover.

Ahh, so I got the scale wrong even given the picture! LOL.

Knowing you, I am surprised you didn't get the full-on vinyl version.

I am envious of your recent acquisition. :D

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:39 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Knowing you, I am surprised you didn't get the full-on vinyl version.

I am envious of your recent acquisition. :D

Thought about it, but it was an extra $100. Besides, this way the WAVs are always with me courtesy of the 2TB ruggedized external I always carry.

Was beginning to wonder if it'd ever come. Signed up for it through PledgeMusic in February and it arrived 2 weeks ago.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:53 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
Was beginning to wonder if it'd ever come. Signed up for it through PledgeMusic in February and it arrived 2 weeks ago.

A virtual eternity, in these days of instant gratification "2 Day Prime" shipping! :lol:

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:26 am

Ah, OK. I already have his entire dicography on CD, so when I got the email announciation I just kind of tossed it. It's cool looking but I just don't want to have one more thing that sits around looking pretty (I mean, I'm obviously enough for that category on my own).
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:29 pm

Chuckaluphagus wrote:
Usacomp2k3 wrote:
Chuckaluphagus wrote:
Have a new Monoprice Mini Delta 3D printer chugging away in the corner of the office now. Hackaday gave it an excellent review back during the summer, and Friday it was on sale for cheap enough that I figured it was worth it even just for the learning opportunity and experience. Setup was simple, onboard interface is pleasantly straightforward. Haven't tried the wireless printing yet, but that'll wait until it's done with the provided test print file. Cool to watch, remarkably fine filaments of plastic being laid down so quickly.

In a worst-case scenario (i.e. I decide I hate it even after the return period has passed), I can always sell it used and recoup some of the cost. In a best-case scenario, I can start printing tiny green toys for my kid during the school day and then feigning ignorance as to where they come from.

Let me know what you think. I've been tempted by that one too. My wife does all sorts of crafting with 2d CNC (aka Cricut or Sillhouette) and I have many small ideas for day-to-day stuff that would be cool.

I've used the printer enough to be able to give at least a "first impression" reply. So far, it seems pretty good.

*Image*

From left to right, the sample print made from the file provided with the printer, as 2x2 Lego brick, and a "Green Lantern" ring for my kid. For scale reference, that cat is 4.73 cm high.

I've printed other stuff as well, some of which has either failed or simply hasn't been quite right. I'm very new at this, so it took me a little while to start to understand the relevance of things like nozzle and bed temperature settings, infill, etc. when I want to get the output to look like it's supposed to. I'm getting better at it, and I haven't wasted much filament.

The on-device interface is good: the menus are basic but clear, the controls are straightforward, and everything works.

The printer has a network interface, hosting a simple webpage where you can monitor/control the temperatures and copy+paste GCode to be printed directly. The temperature control and monitoring works fine, but I have been unable to get anything to print via the web interface - it'll just say that it's loading, the printer screen will show "downloading", but nothing ever happens.

Rather than ferry a microSD card back and forth from a computer to the printer every time I want to print something, I've set up Octoprint on a spare Raspberry Pi, connected it via the supplied USB cable, and that works great. It's what I'll be using going forward, since it seems to handle everything very nicely.

There is ZERO issue getting prints to adhere to the bed - it's actually the opposite, it can be very difficult to get prints off the bed, especially if they're not very high and I can't get good leverage. I've been using a razor blade to very carefully get between the print and the bed surface and start to lever them apart, and after some careful work with that I can usually get the rest by hand.

Lessons learned so far:
  • I like Cura better than Slic3r. Cura is a lot easier for me to understand, as a newcomer.
  • A little bit of filing/trimming can be necessary. The ring is an example of that - it's actually three parts, with room inside for an LED and a coin cell. The parts wouldn't fit together right off the printer, and so I took a file to the mating edges for a few seconds apiece to get that taken care of. Not a big issue.
  • Very thin surfaces above and parallel to the bed surface don't always print cleanly. There can be some fouling in the running of the filament. So far nothing that has been cause to toss a print into the recycling, but it's something to keep track of.
  • PLA Legos are a bad idea. I'm printing in the bright green PLA that you see in the photo above, and it works well. But PLA is harder and more brittle than ABS (which is what Legos are made from), and if you try and snap together a PLA block and a real Lego it visibly scrapes down the surface of the Lego. The printer can handle ABS, so I'll pick up a spool of that at some point, relocate the printer to the garage (it has a very useful carrying handle) so as to avoid the fumes problem, and try the Lego tests again.

Hope this is useful to you, Usacomp2k3. If anyone has a question or wants me to try printing something, please let me know.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm trying to talk a couple epeople into going in on one together. That one's my preference.

The Egg
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:33 pm

just brew it! wrote:

Cool.

Blah! I almost wrote "polka or Weird Al"!

Glorious
Gerbilus Supremus

Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:51 am

I got flagged for an everyday routine purchase of about a dollar that I do at the gas station like right next to my house just last week.

I can't figure that one either:

+The small amount might be a trial charge
+They are still swiping the cards (no-chip)

-Utterly routine
-Huge chain
-No online component
-Locality

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:05 am

Glorious wrote:
I got flagged for an everyday routine purchase of about a dollar that I do at the gas station like right next to my house just last week.

What do you mean by getting flagged?

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:11 am

I had to add travel plans for the country in order to prevent weekly issues. Since I've done it though, I've had zero issues.
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:11 am

I had to add travel plans for the country in order to prevent weekly issues. Since I've done it though, I've had zero issues.
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

Glorious
Gerbilus Supremus

Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:18 am

hawkwing74 wrote:

They called me asking about the transaction within an hour or so of it occurring.

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:25 am

Glorious wrote:
hawkwing74 wrote:

They called me asking about the transaction within an hour or so of it occurring.

I get an e-mail asking me to log in to their web site and confirm that the transaction is legit.

Glorious
Gerbilus Supremus

Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:30 am

Well, it was an automated voice system "asking me" and I probably got an email too.

Vhalidictes
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:10 pm

Glorious wrote:

I can't figure that one either:

+The small amount might be a trial charge
+They are still swiping the cards (no-chip)

-Utterly routine
-Huge chain
-No online component
-Locality

To be fair, Glorious, tiny regular charges like that might not be noticed on a statement. Of course the Locality thing usually accounts for that...

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:43 pm

PerfectCr wrote:
I travel a lot for work and yeah it's crazy what gets flagged and what doesn't. I bought some stuff for kids in Hong Kong in August with my check card...no issues. Then I buy some random thing at Best Buy last month.. FLAGGED. :o :roll:

"Some random thing from [insert retail chain]" can be easily flipped on eBay or Craigslist for cash, or laundered for future use by returning it for store credit without a receipt. It might also be a trial run for a much larger fraudulent purchase at that same merchant. If your card doesn't have a history with that retailer for transactions in that range, it's a likely a big red flag for a stolen number.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:23 pm

Amazon's gift wrap bag style thingies look really nice.

Also if a weather forecast over a week out is to be believed(it's not) the weather when i go home will be nice thin jacket feel. Some people complain about warm christmas but i could care less since it's more comfortable :lol: .
When drunk.....

Redocbew

Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:27 pm

That was probably done by one of the 120,000 people amazon has hired temporarily to help manage the holiday rush. They've basically hired a small city, and they do it every year. :o
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:20 pm

Have to say, being able to do a lot of my holiday shopping online during my commute is pretty sweet. Turns what would've been (in years gone by) wasted time into something that actually reduces the overall stress level of the holidays.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:25 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Have to say, being able to do a lot of my holiday shopping online during my commute is pretty sweet. Turns what would've been (in years gone by) wasted time into something that actually reduces the overall stress level of the holidays.

It's definitely been nice. Around 90% of my shopping has been done online for the last couple years, with 100% of what I've bought for my wife and daughter coming from different online vendors (mostly Amazon, but a couple others)
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:05 pm

A very American race car in a very non-American race. Have at.

superjawes

Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:22 pm

Foe some reason, my brain simply cannot remember what has just come out of the oven. Had the skillet out for about two minutes before grabbing it, and now I'll be nursing pain in my fingers for the rest of the night. :(
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:53 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
A very American race car in a very non-American race. Have at.

Very clearly Italy. Are you asking for the actual race name? no idea.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:59 pm

Edit:
It's a Chapparal 2F, circa 1967.
Last edited by JustAnEngineer on Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:01 pm

I know precisely jack **** about cars and racing. I know some Italian though. And I can Google. I didn't find a race with enough certainty to make a real guess though.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

Redocbew

Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:08 pm

DancinJack wrote:
precisely jack ****

For some reason reading that, and then looking at your username left me with a very strange mental image. :P
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.