ethic who
ethic smacker

Knock knock!
whos there
peninsula
peninsula who
peninsula pennant hiccup

So far so good. Passes my Turing test. :lol:
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Re: DYMT: Imi's Legacy

Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:54 pm

just brew it! wrote:
LOL... my random nonsense knock knock joke generator script is currently the top front page comment.

Code, however easy it may be to write for some, really impresses some people. I don't blame them. Before I got into CS I felt the same way.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:55 pm

just brew it! wrote:
LOL... my random nonsense knock knock joke generator script is currently the top front page comment.

Of all the work you've done, this is what you will always be known for.
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:03 pm

DancinJack wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

Code, however easy it may be to write for some, really impresses some people. I don't blame them. Before I got into CS I felt the same way.

It isn't the implementation that got my upvotes, but the idea in the first place.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:11 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
It isn't the implementation that got my upvotes, but the idea in the first place.

Bash is certainly not my first choice of language for most tasks, but I wanted something that didn't need to be compiled and didn't rely on any additional packages or tools that aren't already present on a typical Linux system.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:29 pm

just brew it! wrote:
derFunkenstein wrote:

Bash is certainly not my first choice of language for most tasks, but I wanted something that didn't need to be compiled and didn't rely on any additional packages or tools that aren't generally already present on a typical Linux system.

It's first choice for like...making sure crap is running OK on my *nix computer and THAT'S IT.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:32 pm

DancinJack wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
derFunkenstein wrote:

Bash is certainly not my first choice of language for most tasks, but I wanted something that didn't need to be compiled and didn't rely on any additional packages or tools that aren't generally already present on a typical Linux system.

It's first choice for like...making sure crap is running OK on my *nix computer and THAT'S IT.

I once wrote an entire firmware upgrade handler for an embedded device in Bash because we didn't want to include the Python interpreter and its libraries in the base firmware image.

It's more powerful than you might think, but can be only marginally more readable than Perl. I guess you could say it excels for quick-and-dirty tasks which can be done by grafting together existing CLI tools with string and duct tape. :lol:

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:12 am

Captain Ned wrote:
superjawes wrote:
Movie pitch: Time travel is invented, and the first thing the (geek) scientists do is travel back in time to prevent all Terminator movies after Judgment Day.

And along come Bill S. Preston, Esquire, and Ted "Theodore" Logan to mess it all up again.

I'm very excited to see a special finale showing of Bill & Ted at Halloween Horror Nights tomorrow night. I will be very sad to see the show come to an end.

Chuckaluphagus
Gerbil Elite

Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:55 am

Heiwashin wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

Of all the work you've done, this is what you will always be known for.

This reminds me of an interview with Keanu Reeves from about 20 years ago, in which he described having a recurring nightmare of seeing his own tombstone, on which was engraved, "He was Ted."

Vhalidictes
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:38 pm

Chuckaluphagus wrote:
This reminds me of an interview with Keanu Reeves from about 20 years ago, in which he described having a recurring nightmare of seeing his own tombstone, on which was engraved, "He was Ted."

Given how his non-Matrix action movies have turned out, I'm not sure that this is a bad thing. In CPU terms he's VIA - yes, you have an x86 license, but that doesn't mean you should be using it.

I certainly understand why he'd think that though; Ted wasn't a very dignified role even if people liked it.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:31 pm

I will say his role in John Wick has been awesome. I have very much enjoyed those movies for what they are, gratuitous violence.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:51 pm

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
I will say his role in John Wick has been awesome. I have very much enjoyed those movies for what they are, gratuitous violence.

Seconded!
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

Vhalidictes
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:05 pm

Usacomp2k3 wrote:

Sounds like I need to see those, thanks for the head's up.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:29 pm

Vhalidictes wrote:
Usacomp2k3 wrote:

Sounds like I need to see those, thanks for the head's up.

For the second one (and maybe the first too) Keanu did some extensive proper firearm training including competing in some 3-gun competitions. The hand-work is quite accurate, even if the overall scenarios are somewhat contrived/exaggerated.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:40 pm

Just for giggles the first person view of the same cuts of my first flight but a little longer so i can add extra cringe for the, "no way"ers. Last weekend i was deceived by google maps and ended up stopped in a place where i couldn't fly due to the expected launching landing area being a steep hill. This weekend i'm going to double my efforts to find a good spot and get some real air time in.

When drunk.....

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:07 pm

That still looks wonderful. Also super gorgeous area, wherever you are. Whatever camera you are using looks good, too. (if only it were 60fps)

I have been skydiving and just floating around up there with the 'chute out was so awesome.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:17 pm

It was deltona, florida. I'm using a go pro hero 5 session, but i set it on 720/30 to save space on the card since i was doing a lot of recording during the training on the field. I'll do my next one at 60, i'll also angle it a little better :P.

I made the mistake of turning off image stabilization on the first day on the field thinking that because my vision is stable my head must be stable. I learned exactly how much stabilization work eyeballs do.
When drunk.....

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:23 pm

OIS for eyes - the new rage with millennials. "Here you go guys - install these magnets in your eyes for better stabilized vision. You won't believe how magical it is!"

derp

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:45 pm

Holy crap, that looks like hella fun, and that's from someone who has an issue with heights. The landing freaked me out a little... I have one knee that is already a little messed up. I guess I could aim to take the initial impact with the other leg... but maybe then I'd have two bad knees?

Heck, you only live once.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:54 pm

Actually, at least if it's anything like skydiving, they taught us to land by sitting down on your ass. Legs straight out, come in shallow, and sit down. It was actually not all that hard and worked really well. Didn't hurt at all. Y'know, only if you're worried about landing on your feet though (my knees are rekt too).

Redocbew
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:06 am

Yeah that's what most everyone was told when I went skydiving also. I ended up doing more of a running landing, but I think that was just because I was bigger than the guy who jumped with me.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:16 am

Even with the motor bouncing behind me the landing felt butter smooth. I was surprised how it looks kinda rough on the video. We're supposed :lol: to land on our feet to protect the motor but you can always get a trike too if you have knee problems. One of the other guys had one and they're fairly light and much easier to launch and land. My trainer actually launched the trike from the street in front of his house the first day.
When drunk.....

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:53 am

I didn't think anybody could make OfficeMax look sympathetic, but it seems that Ars Technica figured out how.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:44 am

I want to respond but it's really an RnP topic if you're talking about the posters.
When drunk.....

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:05 pm

Heiwashin wrote:
I want to respond but it's really an RnP topic if you're talking about the posters.

Sounds like there was plenty of stupid to go around, both on the part of OfficeMax and the customer.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:46 pm

Corporate policy is *always* out of the hands of the cashiers, and it's almost always out of the hands of store managers. Losing your cool (and apparently starting out with no cool in the first place) and shooting the messenger is wrong without exception. All I see in that article is a guy bragging about what a dbag he can be towards other human beings.

More than likely, their return policy could use refining (pick-up in store should absolutely be returnable in-store) but even then I'd make an exception for him. :lol:

My wife is an assistant manager in retail (not Office Max) and she says his behavior is common. More often than not people start out in a huff and even if everything goes 100% their way they're still in a huff when they leave. That kind of person can **** right off, IMO. :evil:

superjawes

Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:39 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
Corporate policy is *always* out of the hands of the cashiers, and it's almost always out of the hands of store managers. Losing your cool (and apparently starting out with no cool in the first place) and shooting the messenger is wrong without exception. All I see in that article is a guy bragging about what a dbag he can be towards other human beings.

I see the kind of guy who drives food service employees to spit in his food...regularly.

This is one of those "everyone should have to work for X-industry at some point" cases. Make him work a week at an OfficeMax store and his demeanor towards cashiers and customer service reps will greatly improve.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:12 pm

They say that the measure of the kind of person you are isn't how you treat your peers; it is how you treat waitstaff and other people whose job it is to serve you.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:01 pm

I'm feeling lazy, otherwise I'd quote those posts and say "QFT"

superjawes

Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:25 pm

just brew it! wrote:
They say that the measure of the kind of person you are isn't how you treat your peers; it is how you treat waitstaff and other people whose job it is to serve you.
+1
QFT
etc.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.