Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Re: DYMT: Imi's Legacy

Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:57 pm

I was just in St Louis. Made a lap around the arch just for kicks.
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:32 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
This is why I like working from home. No need to see people face to face. :lol:

The days I work from home are often more productive than my days in the office. Everyone is expected to be in the office Mon/Wed/Fri, and allowed to optionally work from home Tue/Thu. Guess what? Mon/Wed/Fri often get stuffed full of meetings, since that's when people are in the office.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:34 pm

Just got back from checking out a new brewpub, MyGrain Brewing in Joliet IL. Mostly solid beer lineup, and good food. A little off the beaten path for us, but we'll go again sometime.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:49 pm

just brew it! wrote:
derFunkenstein wrote:
This is why I like working from home. No need to see people face to face. :lol:

The days I work from home are often more productive than my days in the office. Everyone is expected to be in the office Mon/Wed/Fri, and allowed to optionally work from home Tue/Thu. Guess what? Mon/Wed/Fri often get stuffed full of meetings, since that's when people are in the office.

Has your employer never heard of GoToMeeting or Skype for Business or whatever?

edited to add: I do a weekly status meeting on Wednesday mornings with people in three other states using nothing more than my cell phone and the occasional GoToMeeting session. I couldn't imagine having to drive for that. :lol:
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:59 pm

We're using Skype a lot lately, which has reduced the need for face-to-face meetings. A lot of people still insist on meeting in person though.

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:23 am

I'm just gonna leave this here: https://www.experiencetube.com/

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:29 am

"Do not attempt to mechanize stripe jiggling process."
Challenge accepted.
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

Jigar
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:36 am

After 12 yrs of Job, i am now going to open my own restaurant. Very nervous but i am hoping things will be fine. Going to do double shift since i can't afford to leave the job yet.

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:09 am

Jigar wrote:
After 12 yrs of Job, i am now going to open my own restaurant. Very nervous but i am hoping things will be fine. Going to do double shift since i can't afford to leave the job yet.

Congratulations on launching your new business, and good luck!

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:01 pm

It took some doing but the stars have aligned and im on track to get to Florida this weekend for my paramotor training vacation. If all goes well I'll be flying this time next week.
When drunk.....

Redocbew
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:22 pm

Too fast jiggling may induce harmless hallucinations or the feeling that maybe the world is stripes that are fast.

Well yeah, of course jiggling too fast can only cause trouble. That's just common sense.

Jigar wrote:

Congrats. I hope it all goes well.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

Kougar

Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:32 pm

Jigar wrote:

I wish you the best of luck! I hope it is Italian fair, with pizza. :D Not in Texas is it?

As a business major I can tell you the largest reason new restaurants fail is not having enough capital reserves to last a full year without any profit. It takes a long time for people to begin trying out a new place and for word to get around. The first initial profits you start to see probably won't offset the costs of borrowing the starting capital, so you have to have the long-term capital reserves to continue to last past this stage. I am very serious, I wish you success but do not underestimate this and hope that you will begin making a profit in six months to pay off initial debt. The study data I saw actually recommended a full two years of capital reserves and suggests it takes that long before a restaurant typically gets (financially) off the ground.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:49 pm

Kougar wrote:
Not in Texas is it?

That would be a serious understatement.

Jigar: I hope your dealings with the license Raj weren't too painful (or that the Raj has actually been cut back these days).

Namaste
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:32 pm

Heiwashin wrote:
It took some doing but the stars have aligned and im on track to get to Florida this weekend for my paramotor training vacation. If all goes well I'll be flying this time next week.

Where in Florida?

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:38 pm

Deltona, just Northeast of Orlando
When drunk.....

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:58 pm

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
Heiwashin wrote:

Where in Florida?

Oh you live near there? We should do something fun. :D
When drunk.....

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:09 pm

Heiwashin wrote:

The TRBBQFLA of 2017 is hereby announced. FLA gerbils, make ranks!!
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:13 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
Heiwashin wrote:

The TRBBQFLA of 2017 is hereby announced. FLA gerbils, make ranks!!

:lol: I'm going to be there the week from Saturday to Sunday but 5 days of that will be training which might be affected by weather. The forecast doesn't look as perfect as I want it to. Might have to find some local beers on the off days.
When drunk.....

Chuckaluphagus
Gerbil Elite

Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:16 pm

I just realized that the document I'm translating was written in Reverse Polish Notation. It's not math, mind you, just convoluted descriptions of minute technical details. In RPN.

I'm only half-joking here - it really does read that way.

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:27 pm

Chuckaluphagus wrote:
I just realized that the document I'm translating was written in Reverse Polish Notation. It's not math, mind you, just convoluted descriptions of minute technical details. In RPN.

I'm only half-joking here - it really does read that way.

That sounds... frustrating. Head wall against bang?

Redocbew

Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:38 pm

Being a code monkey means I spend a portion of most days at stack overflow. I see this in the sidebar containing questions from other Stack Exchange sites.

Is there a word/ phrase to describe somebody who has devoted their life to practising something but is still not very good at it?

Amateur, shmuck, doofus, numbskull, moron. Those were what I was thinking. The top voted answer was "frustrated". Either the people who post on Stack Exchange's English site are extremely polite, or I'm a jackass. :lol:
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

Jigar
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:14 am

just brew it! wrote:
Jigar wrote:

Congratulations on launching your new business, and good luck!

Thank you JBI

Redocbew wrote:

Congrats. I hope it all goes well.

Thank you Redocbew

Kougar wrote:

I wish you the best of luck! I hope it is Italian fair, with pizza. :D Not in Texas is it?

As a business major I can tell you the largest reason new restaurants fail is not having enough capital reserves to last a full year without any profit. It takes a long time for people to begin trying out a new place and for word to get around. The first initial profits you start to see probably won't offset the costs of borrowing the starting capital, so you have to have the long-term capital reserves to continue to last past this stage. I am very serious, I wish you success but do not underestimate this and hope that you will begin making a profit in six months to pay off initial debt. The study data I saw actually recommended a full two years of capital reserves and suggests it takes that long before a restaurant typically gets (financially) off the ground.

Thank you Kougar, yes its Italian and Punjabi restaurant,although i didn't get the license for Pizza as it was already taken by my competition. Also many thanks for the suggestion, i have 6 months capital reserves with me but i will make some arrangements.

Captain Ned wrote:

Jigar: I hope your dealings with the license Raj weren't too painful (or that the Raj has actually been cut back these days).

Namaste

Hi Captain, i live in Gujarat and officials here are pro business, hence they are very friendly, current government has reduced a lot of paper work, infact we don't even have to go to their office, the officials visited ours. Surprisingly everything was arranged within 3 days (Previously it would take 3 - 4 months with bribes under opposition rule)
Namaste

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:15 am

The coffee at this hotel breakfast is astoundingly bad. So was the coffee at the office yesterday.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:20 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
The coffee at this hotel breakfast is astoundingly bad. So was the coffee at the office yesterday.

I stayed at a La Quinta recently. Their 24-hour coffee service was a Nescafé dispenser. I was Krogoth'd.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:28 am

Not being a coffee drinker, I never have to deal with that issue. :wink: Instead I get to whine about lack of non-mainstream beer choices at many restaurants (though this has gotten a lot better in the past few years).

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:02 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Not being a coffee drinker, I never have to deal with that issue. :wink: Instead I get to whine about lack of non-mainstream beer choices at many restaurants (though this has gotten a lot better in the past few years).

On the plus side, I'm finding that even many local joints and regional chains increasingly stock at least one or two selections from Sam Adams, New Belgium, or both -- in bottles, if not on tap. While those are more in the mainstream than craft, it sure beats finding a row of taps that all end in some permutation of "Li(gh)t(e).
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:34 pm

ludi wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

On the plus side, I'm finding that even many local joints and regional chains increasingly stock at least one or two selections from Sam Adams, New Belgium, or both -- in bottles, if not on tap. While those are more in the mainstream than craft, it sure beats finding a row of taps that all end in some permutation of "Li(gh)t(e).

Yup. Not a fan of the SA summer seasonal, but the rest of 'em are generally solid, if a little pedestrian. In New Belgium's case, I don't much care for their flagship Fat Tire, but the rest of their beers range from OK to very good. A lot of places around the Chicago area also have Lagunitas; while technically owned by Heineken now the beers don't seem to have changed much from how they were pre-buyout, so Heineken was apparently smart enough to not mess with success.

If there's a small local brewery on the tap list I generally go with that, unless it's something I know I don't like.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:54 pm

just brew it! wrote:
If there's a small local brewery on the tap list I generally go with that, unless it's something I know I don't like.

I've found that usually means IPA variant #23,456. While I "get" that a balanced IPA is possible, it seems like it's become the Starbucks Coffee of the craft beer world -- i.e. obtain uniformity by reducing the entire product line to one strong monoflavor.

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:47 pm

ludi wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

I've found that usually means IPA variant #23,456. While I "get" that a balanced IPA is possible, it seems like it's become the Starbucks Coffee of the craft beer world -- i.e. obtain uniformity by reducing the entire product line to one strong monoflavor.

Yeah, that's frequently an issue with places which are just dipping their toes in the craft beer world. Someone told them that IPAs are popular, and they want a couple of craft beer taps, so they get 2 IPAs. :roll:

I actually like IPAs, but I also like some variety. There's a small local brewery whose flagship beer is a Saison, which is a nice change of pace.

And speaking of Starbucks and beer... I judged a beer competition last weekend where someone had entered a coffee beer. Apparently they used an entire pound of Starbucks French Roast in a 5 gallon batch of beer. More like vaguely beer-flavored coffee than coffee beer, and harsh/burnt on top of that.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:23 am

This truck stop put up a red do not enter tape on it's side door so people are walking around to the front.
If you get closer to the door you can see the tape has small Halloween imagery on it and the entrance is fine.

Maybe pick decorations a little better.

Also in my efforts to get to Florida for vacation I picked up some lumber as expected.

Someone told me we can opt for federal relief shipments but under federal authority you have no clock limits and they like people to move. I'm not good at driving 24 hour days I'll leave that to the meth heads.
When drunk.....