Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

just brew it!
Administrator

Re: DYMT: Imi's Legacy

Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:06 pm

Heiwashin wrote:
What is this skunking phenomena

When exposed to light, the hops in beer will start to smell like skunk. It's a chemical reaction that is triggered by a certain wavelength of light.

Heineken isn't supposed to smell that way, it's because they use green bottles (which are bad at filtering out the wavelength of light that causes the reaction), and the bottles then sit under the glare of the fluorescent lights in the store. Brown bottles are better at filtering out the harmful wavelength (and cans, being completely opaque, will prevent "skunking" entirely). Miller uses a special hop extract that has been processed to remove the compound that reacts in the presence of light, just so they can use their signature clear bottles.

Hoppy beers like IPAs are especially susceptible. Set a glass of IPA in direct sun and you can smell the skunk in less than a minute.

Homebrewers have even been known to set bottles in a sunny window for a couple of days, in an attempt to emulate the hop character of store-bought bottles of Heineken. Why you'd do that intentionally is beyond me, but whatever floats your boat, I guess...
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:22 pm

Interesting, i guess it's something i've never had the chance to notice. I may have had one heineken to date. I don't know if i've really had that many hop focused beers but if i did it was in a dark dank bar.
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:52 pm

Even relatively low-hop beers will do it; hoppy beers (especially lighter colored ones, since dark beers protect themselves from light to some extent) are just a really vivid illustration of the phenomenon, since they can turn into a skunk bomb in a matter of seconds in an open glass under direct sun. Corona can be pretty skunky if the bottle has been sitting under the store lights too long, and it's not a hoppy beer. Heck, even Heineken isn't hoppy by contemporary craft beer standards (though it was one of the hoppier beers available in the US 2 or 3 decades ago). :wink:

farmpuma
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Location: Soybean field, IN, USA, Earth .. just a bit south of John .. err .... Fart Wayne, Indiana

Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:20 am

Back in the high school days we called skunked the extras that were stuffed under the seat and consequently froze. I don't recall the skunk aroma, but they were pretty much undrinkable.
[img]http://[/img] Image
.* * M-51 * *. .The Whirlpool Galaxy. .TV muted, X dual flying birds & a mantra, "Specter be Gone"

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:44 am

farmpuma wrote:
Back in the high school days we called skunked the extras that were stuffed under the seat and consequently froze. I don't recall the skunk aroma, but they were pretty much undrinkable.

Some of the most amazing beers made have been intentionally frozen: https://growlermag.com/beer-review-aven ... n-eisbock/

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:56 pm

Seen on an internal Slack channel at work:
steely dan can be ok in limited quantities but has a low LD50

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:25 pm

just brew it! wrote:

Geek humor. :lol: Tell that joke at a random party if you want to see what everyone looks like with raised eyebrows.
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:34 pm

Heiwashin wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

Geek humor. :lol: Tell that joke at a random party if you want to see what everyone looks like with raised eyebrows.

At the parties I go to there would likely be multiple people who would get the joke. Most parties I attend are connected to the homebrewing and/or beer judging community in some way, and brewing/judging beer seems to attract a lot of geeks! :lol:

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:35 pm

Well it is an interesting topic. I've always wondered how much difference there is in changing to large scale brews. How much cleaning effort has to go into the pre production too. Seems like one wrong bacteria in your thing could wreck the flavor. If I wasn't moving all the time I think I'd try my hand at it.

If it's any practice I once created 'something' by mixing used cooking oil and water with some nutrient bits in a thick liquor bottle. For months I watched something form a thick living colony plane on the line between water and oil. I never opened it to find out if it made a new fangled edible drink though. I just assumed it made a variety of death and threw it away.
When drunk.....

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:09 pm

Heiwashin wrote:
Well it is an interesting topic. I've always wondered how much difference there is in changing to large scale brews. How much cleaning effort has to go into the pre production too. Seems like one wrong bacteria in your thing could wreck the flavor. If I wasn't moving all the time I think I'd try my hand at it.

Well, yes, getting the wrong microbes in there can do some strange (and sometimes rather unappetizing) things. It's not rocket science though; there are just a few simple rules:

- Anything pre-boil isn't a cause for concern. You obviously don't want patches of mold on your equipment because you didn't clean it after the previous batch, but any incidental microbes that get into the wort up front will be killed when you boil it.

- Anything that touches the wort or beer post-boil needs to be clean and sanitary. This means no residue (because microbes can hide in it), and a dunk (or spray) with an iodine- or acid-based food safe sanitizer, per manufacturer's directions. Before handling equipment that will touch the wort/beer, sanitize your hands too.

- Use plenty of healthy brewers yeast. Since beer isn't made in a sterile lab environment, some incidental contamination post-boil is inevitable. You want your own yeast to out-compete anything else that happens to fall into the wort (e.g. on airborne dust), so that the dominant flavors are the (desirable) ones produced by the yeast you've chosen.

- I don't return hydrometer samples to the batch, I drink them to see what the wort/beer tastes at each stage of the process. Not only is this educational, it eliminates a possible source of contamination (the hydrometer and its test flask).

- The acidic pH, hops, and alcohol in fermented beer are all natural preservatives, and the environment thus created precludes botulism and other really nasty pathogens. If it makes it past your nose, it's safe to take a sip; if the first sip doesn't make you want to spit it out, it's safe to drink the rest of the glass. Worst case if you really messed something up is a headache and/or a mild laxative effect... and the majority of those won't make it past the smell/sip test.

- It takes some pretty major screwups to make undrinkable beer. Odds are in your favor that your first batch will turn out just fine.

Heiwashin wrote:
If it's any practice I once created 'something' by mixing used cooking oil and water with some nutrient bits in a thick liquor bottle. For months I watched something form a thick living colony plane on the line between water and oil. I never opened it to find out if it made a new fangled edible drink though. I just assumed it made a variety of death and threw it away.

That just sounds incredibly nasty. Rancid oil and... "something"... alive. :o

Redocbew

Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:37 am

I just saw my new favorite T-shirt.

Keep calm and Saison. :D
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:29 am

Looks like printer cartridge remanufacturers are in the clear, the Supremes upheld the doctrine of patent exhaustion this week and weakened certain types of DRM just a bit:

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/201 ... nt-rights/
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:27 pm

That's good at least, I had a dell laser printer at my last job and had stocked up on toners for it, when the current one ran out, I grabbed the oldest one in the back and installed it. The new toner read as empty even though it was brand new and full, and I couldn't get it to work and had to end up tossing it. Great use of DRM on toner...

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:53 am

Dear youtube creators. If i load your video and the first frame i see is the start of a 5-10 second pointless intro i move on to the next video in my search immediately.
When drunk.....

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:17 pm

For real. Don't bore us; get to the chorus. And in this case, the chorus is the actual content of the video.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:46 pm

What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:05 pm

· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:54 pm

What's the best way to fasten down a pad that has pulled up but is still connected and functional otherwise.
When drunk.....

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:02 pm

Heiwashin wrote:
What's the best way to fasten down a pad that has pulled up but is still connected and functional otherwise.

What sort of pad? If the top surface isn't being used as an electrical contact, and you're unlikely to ever need to resolder anything to it, I'd probably go with a small dab of epoxy.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:13 pm

It's got a lead attached to it that still seems to be in good shape so it's not one of those through things. During a crash a wire managed to pull on it just hard enough to lift the pad a bit, but not pull it off. Guess i'll try some epoxy under it, i have a few tubes around here somewhere.
When drunk.....

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:39 am

This I learned last week:

A former co-worker of mine used to work for Delphi, the auto parts manufacturer who supplied the defective ignition switches to GM that resulted in the massive recall a few years ago. Through a circuitous series of events, he recently figured out that he used to sit next to the engineer who designed the bad switch.

"Holy crap, maybe I inadvertently distracted him at some critical moment, and I'm partly responsible!"

:lol:

Redocbew

Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:46 pm

Shoulder problems suck. Ugh. My body is in rebellion against me. :o
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:50 pm

Redocbew wrote:
Shoulder problems suck. Ugh. My body is in rebellion against me. :o

I had some shoulder issues too, starting last summer. Limited range of motion, pain if I tried to reach back. Kept putting off getting it looked at. It eventually got (mostly) better on its own but it took months, and I still have somewhat less range of motion than the other shoulder.

Getting old sucks.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:56 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Getting old sucks.

Especially since the doctor keeps droning out his one note song (pun/lyric intended):

Lose weight. Exercise more.

No, dammit. Scope my knee and fix it you bastard. It didn't use to click; now it clicks every day. Just waiting for the day it locks out. I'm beyond PT. I NEED A SCOPING. Once you fix my knee I might be in a position to do what you want but that ortho referral is really going to bite into your bonus for the year.

Redocbew

Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:57 pm

I think this is a rotator cuff thing since it seems pretty specific to rotation and is not affected much by normal weight bearing. Thanks to a bout with Lyme in my early years I've pretty much always had aches and pains. This feels like I tweaked something and is probably not helped with my less-than-ergonomic setup here. It's lasted for a couple weeks now, so yeah. I'm thinkin it might be time for a more definitive solution.

Vhalidictes
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:20 am

Captain Ned wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
Getting old sucks.

Especially since the doctor keeps droning out his one note song (pun/lyric intended):

Lose weight. Exercise more.

No, dammit. Scope my knee and fix it you bastard. It didn't use to click; now it clicks every day. Just waiting for the day it locks out. I'm beyond PT. I NEED A SCOPING. Once you fix my knee I might be in a position to do what you want but that ortho referral is really going to bite into your bonus for the year.

Yeah, it's hard to exercise with joint problems (which I'm prone to).

I ended up walking for cardio instead of running because it's just easier on my knees, but the main problem with that is sure, you'll still get in shape, but 1) walking takes a lot longer, and 2) you don't really lose any weight regardless of how fit you get.

Weight really seems to come down to calories-in, so I'm going on protein powder for a few weeks to get it under control. People laugh at me because I'm not obviously fat, but the problem is that I'll end up there all too soon at this rate.

Mr Bill
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:23 pm

Just now and a couple times in the last two weeks I am seeing pairs of 6-axle locomotives pulling 100 empty flat beds. It just looks odd how low they sit and then empty as well. Normal traffic past my window are full and empty coal trains every few hours. When I lived in El Paso, I used to see flatbeds loaded up with copper anodes heading for the Phelps Dodge Refinery.
X6 1100T BE | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ | XFX HD 7870 | 16 GB DDR3 | Samsung 830/850 Pro SSD's | Logitech cherry MX-brown G710+ | Logitech G303 Daedalus Apex mouse | SeaSonic SS-660XP 80+ Pt | BenQ 24' 1900x1200 IPS | APC Back-UPS NS-1350 | Win7 Pro

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:44 am

And Amazon is buying Whole Paycheck, er, Whole Foods for $13.7 billion.

http://cbsaustin.com/news/nation-world/ ... -137b-deal

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:16 am

What the heck is Amazon going to do with that
When drunk.....

Glorious
Gerbilus Supremus

Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:20 am

Home delivery of groceries.