Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Re: DYMT: Imi's Legacy

Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:06 am

Amazon actually runs designed experiments to determine how reducing the packaging affects return rates due to damage in transit.
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:41 am

Heiwashin wrote:
The cooler is also reversible. Changing the direction of the power will switch it to heating mode. I'm not doing it now because Im not sure how to safely trigger opposing polarities yet, but for the time being I'll set an alarm which triggers well before the minimum safe temperature but below the cutoff for the cooler.

A DPDT relay would allow you to do that.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:59 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
Tonight I presented my final project in my final class. Unofficial, for the moment, but I am finally a “collage grajiet”.

OK now it's official. https://imgur.com/a/Lti4l2Y

And so I'll quit talking about it. :lol:
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

superjawes
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:26 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
derFunkenstein wrote:
Tonight I presented my final project in my final class. Unofficial, for the moment, but I am finally a “collage grajiet”.

OK now it's official. https://imgur.com/a/Lti4l2Y

And so I'll quit talking about it. :lol:

Congratulations!

I swear I was looking for a shorter flourish, but I couldn't help linking that one :lol:
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:55 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Heiwashin wrote:
The cooler is also reversible. Changing the direction of the power will switch it to heating mode. I'm not doing it now because Im not sure how to safely trigger opposing polarities yet, but for the time being I'll set an alarm which triggers well before the minimum safe temperature but below the cutoff for the cooler.

A DPDT relay would allow you to do that.

That looks perfect :D thanks.
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:54 pm

There are some simple and eternal truths in the "Charlie Brown Christmas Special".

That is all.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:31 am

As opposed to the Star Wars Holiday Special? :)

Chuckaluphagus
Gerbil Elite

Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:08 pm

notfred wrote:
As opposed to the Star Wars Holiday Special? :)

The truth of that is, "Some things are better left unseen."

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:44 am

Apropos of nothing, an image I just ran across:

What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:31 pm

Doing Christmas brunch with the family at our place tomorrow. Have some marinated steelhead going in the sous-vide right now. In about a half hour I will pull it out and chill it.

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil

Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:17 pm

Wow, this place really shuts down on Christmas Eve. You can count the number of posts on one hand. I’m glad there’s something more sacred to us than online stuff.
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Dec 25, 2018 12:18 am

FireGryphon wrote:
Wow, this place really shuts down on Christmas Eve. You can count the number of posts on one hand. I’m glad there’s something more sacred to us than online stuff.

Mostly video games here :lol:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Tue Dec 25, 2018 1:33 am

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night (After wrapping presents for 2 hours, it’s bed time. My wife works dozens of hours over the last month or so I can’t complain at all by doing this little part)

MileageMayVary
Gerbil XP

Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:04 am

Captain Ned wrote:
Apropos of nothing, an image I just ran across:

BWAHAHAHAHA
Main rig: Ryzen 3600X, R9 290@1100MHz, 16GB@2933MHz, 1080-1440-1080 Ultrasharps.

Chuckaluphagus
Gerbil Elite

Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:19 am

I have spent the past 60 hours either on my feet and cooking, or sleeping, with a few moments here and there to eat and shower. I'm beat. Today will be spent in pajamas, drinking coffee and eating leftovers. Merry belated Christmas!

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:38 pm

https://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/ ... story.html

:o

Very lucky nobody was killed.

I am quite familiar with the shoddy maintenance of Metra equipment. I rely on them to get me to/from work every day, and they seem to have some sort of service-affecting equipment malfunction at least once a week. Add in the idiots who go around crossing gates (both pedestrians and drivers), and the people who intentionally suicide by train (more common than you'd think), and there are a lot of service disruptions.

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:23 pm

That's very bad! I've dealt with safety certified software for rail systems (IEC 62279) and a single short circuit shouldn't cause the signals to fail like that.

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:33 pm

notfred wrote:
That's very bad! I've dealt with safety certified software for rail systems (IEC 62279) and a single short circuit shouldn't cause the signals to fail like that.

Knowing Metra/Amtrak (some of the infrastructure is shared, not sure who's responsible for that signal), there may not even be any software involved here. We could very well be dealing with electro-mechanical tech from the 1950s in this case.

What I do know is the train I take is cancelled or delayed on a regular basis, and the platforms at the station in downtown Chicago are in very poor shape (dimly lit, crumbling concrete columns and beams with the rebar exposed, water dripping everywhere, everything covered in diesel soot). It looks like something from a post-apocalyptic or Batman movie.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:25 pm

Most of chicago looks like that :lol: at least from the roads that i drive going through it.
When drunk.....

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:24 pm

You can see the railroad's maintenance tech working on the gates during that incident. Blame him.
What I didn't hear in the video was the train's horn prior to the crossing. That's required for trains at grade level crossings in most jurisdictions, but local legislation may have changed that to avoid disturbing the neighbors.
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:34 am

Heiwashin wrote:
Most of chicago looks like that :lol: at least from the roads that i drive going through it.

OK, now imagine a massive train depot with 2 dozen tracks, entirely underground, all looking like that. As an added bonus, there's insufficient ventilation to clear the diesel exhaust from the massive fleet of aging, poorly maintained locomotives. (The Chicago El/subway is entirely electric, but the Metra commuter rail system which serves the outlying areas is diesel powered.)

To be fair, they did a fair bit of work to clean up the north platforms a couple of years back, so those are in better shape than the south platforms I come in on. The office where I work overlooks the station, and I could see some of the work as it progressed; they removed a short section of Adams street that runs above the north platforms for several months while the work was being done. I think the plan was to do the south platforms too, but haven't seen any signs of that starting.

The station itself (once you leave the platforms and go inside) is reasonably nice; they've been fixing that up. A bit incongruous, actually.

IIRC they were also supposed to get some of the VW emissions settlement money to replace part of their locomotive fleet. Not sure what the status of that is.

JustAnEngineer wrote:
You can see the railroad's maintenance tech working on the gates during that incident. Blame him.
What I didn't hear in the video was the train's horn prior to the crossing. That's required for trains at grade level crossings in most jurisdictions, but local legislation may have changed that to avoid disturbing the neighbors.

The sign is too blurry to read in the dashcam video, but Google street view has your answer: https://goo.gl/maps/vfWzSPphyhG2

I'm amazed at how calm the cop is. If I had been driving in that situation there would've been a lot of loudly exclaimed expletives flying around!

Redocbew
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:58 am

Yeah, if I had to slam on the brakes and jump the median to avoid getting squished I'm pretty sure the next thing I'd say wouldn't start with "Be advised...".
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:32 am

Redocbew wrote:
Yeah, if I had to slam on the brakes and jump the median to avoid getting squished I'm pretty sure the next thing I'd say wouldn't start with "Be advised...".

That's not the first video of failed lights I've seen, and some resulted in impacts. Incidentally, since I can't do the sorts of magical redirection cars can do, I put my windows down and kill some speed when approaching blind spotted tracks.

More commonly I have driven over countless tracks where the lights remained permanently on, and in only one instance there was a cop sitting there waving people ahead. One was a particularly bad blind spot that curved behind a building maybe 200 feet away. I don't even know how long I sat there
When drunk.....

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:00 pm

Kinda thought I'd be able to get more done at work this week, with fewer people around to bombard me with random questions. The office is like a ghost town today. Unfortunately, this seems to have been almost completely offset by the fact that when issues do come up, they all land in my lap, since I'm the only person from my department who is here. :roll:

So it's basically just like any other week in terms of overall productivity...

MileageMayVary
Gerbil XP

Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:17 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Kinda thought I'd be able to get more done at work this week, with fewer people around to bombard me with random questions. The office is like a ghost town today. Unfortunately, this seems to have been almost completely offset by the fact that when issues do come up, they all land in my lap, since I'm the only person from my department who is here. :roll:

So it's basically just like any other week in terms of overall productivity...

Been there too.
Main rig: Ryzen 3600X, R9 290@1100MHz, 16GB@2933MHz, 1080-1440-1080 Ultrasharps.

AMD64Blondie
Gerbil First Class

Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:17 am

Hard to believe it's 2019 already.

(Where did 2018 vanish to????)

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:26 am

AMD64Blondie wrote:
(Where did 2018 vanish to????)
Bill Shakespeare's Macbeth in Act 5 Scene 5 wrote:
Tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow, creeps in this petty pace from day to day, to the last syllable of recorded time; and all our yesterdays have lighted fools the way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player, that struts and frets his hour upon the stage and then is heard no more. It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

SecretMaster
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:55 pm

I've come to loathe nighttime driving, especially during rainy weather. My eyes have always been crappy, and it seems like every new car on the road has to be outfitted with blinding lights. Half the time when I'm driving I can't see more than a few feet in front of me. I'm just waiting for what seems like the inevitable collision with something that pops out in front of me (be it human, animal, or vehicle).

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:04 am

Even with glasses? That's not good. My wife can't drive at night without her glasses. During the day is fine.

SecretMaster
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:02 am

If it's highway driving I'm fine. Local roads with oncoming traffic make it very difficult for me to see. My glasses have the standard anti-glare coating they apply, but it doesn't seem to help all that much. I'm not sure if it's my eyes or if it's just the newer car lights. I'm pretty good at minimizing the need for driving past sundown, but it's toughest during this stretch of the year when daylight is short. I think driving a Honda Civic when a good chunk of vehicles on the road are taller vehicles/SUV's also isn't helping.