Personal computing discussed

Moderators: Captain Ned, emkubed

idchafee
Gold subscriber
His Holy Gerbilness

Re: DYMT: Imi's Legacy

Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:33 pm

Here's a dumb question.

Several years ago there was a series of commercials for a file storage service like Dropbox, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't Dropbox. These commercials featured an evil emperor, a Ming the Merciless type character, who would extol the virtues of this file storage service in his quest to rule the galaxy. Does anyone remember the name of the service? I remember thinking the commercials were hilarious but I can't seem to find them anywhere. I'm pretty sure the actual company no longer exists.
YOU CAN RUPTURE SOMEONE'S SPLEEN WITH A WATER BALLOON!!!!

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:17 am

JBI, you must be going to this (if not judging it):

http://fobab.com/
Death is a side effect of birth.

derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:28 am

idchafee wrote:
Here's a dumb question.

Several years ago there was a series of commercials for a file storage service like Dropbox, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't Dropbox. These commercials featured an evil emperor, a Ming the Merciless type character, who would extol the virtues of this file storage service in his quest to rule the galaxy. Does anyone remember the name of the service? I remember thinking the commercials were hilarious but I can't seem to find them anywhere. I'm pretty sure the actual company no longer exists.

Vaguely remember it but no idea what it was, and my Google skills have failed me.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:21 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
JBI, you must be going to this (if not judging it):

http://fobab.com/

I have gone in the past. Wasn't planning to go this year though.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Redocbew
Gold subscriber
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:21 pm

redocbew@kernelpanic ~ $ gem install tiny_tds
Building native extensions. This could take a while...
ERROR: Error installing tiny_tds:
ERROR: Failed to build gem native extension.

current directory: /var/lib/gems/2.3.0/gems/tiny_tds-2.1.0/ext/tiny_tds
/usr/bin/ruby2.3 -r ./siteconf20171109-23876-1dngdxw.rb extconf.rb
checking for sybfront.h... yes
checking for sybdb.h... yes
checking for tdsdbopen() in -lsybdb... yes
checking for dbanydatecrack() in -lsybdb... no
Failed! Do you have FreeTDS 0.95.80 or higher installed?

Yes. I do, and when it says:

It lies! :evil:

/rant
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:57 pm

Redocbew wrote:
redocbew@kernelpanic ~ $ gem install tiny_tds
Building native extensions. This could take a while...
ERROR: Error installing tiny_tds:
ERROR: Failed to build gem native extension.

current directory: /var/lib/gems/2.3.0/gems/tiny_tds-2.1.0/ext/tiny_tds
/usr/bin/ruby2.3 -r ./siteconf20171109-23876-1dngdxw.rb extconf.rb
checking for sybfront.h... yes
checking for sybdb.h... yes
checking for dbanydatecrack() in -lsybdb... no
Failed! Do you have FreeTDS 0.95.80 or higher installed?

Yes. I do, and when it says:

It lies! :evil:

/rant

https://github.com/rails-sqlserver/tiny_tds/issues/312

Follow gkemmey's instructions, 2nd from last post.

Redocbew
Gold subscriber
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:13 pm

Yeah, I nuked the ubuntu packages for FreeTDS and re-ran the "make install". No more ruby barf. :P
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:24 pm

Damnit, the PSU fan in my Debian "smoke test" box is dying. Noticed it making some noise the last time I had it turned on a few days ago, but assumed it was just the case fan. No such luck, it's the PSU. :-?

Guess I'll see if I've got another unit I can swap in. There's probably something in the junk collection that'll suffice.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:47 pm

Hmm... swapped in an old Ultra 550W I had sitting around, and the first boot attempt resulted in an error (Linux barfed trying to bring up the additional cores on the CPU). Weird. I've rebooted several more times and it has been fine. So I'm not sure I entirely trust this PSU, but I've generally been pretty good about labeling gear I think is questionable, and this one had no markings or stickers on it.

At least it isn't my main rig.

Redocbew
Gold subscriber
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:21 am

Given my rant earlier I'm obviously working on a Ruby project. A while ago I came very close to getting a job which would have had me writing a lot of Ruby code. I was pretty bummed out at the time I didn't get it.

Now, not so much. It's strange considering that I usually take pretty well to languages that are highly object oriented, but I've been working on this thing on and off for a while now, and I still don't care for the language.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:33 am

Had a work van ahead of me on the commute this morning...the trailer it was hauling started throwing sparks, then came off the hitch. Almost sideswiped someone while swerving to avoid the careening trailer.

That got my heart rate up for a bit.
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:58 am

Glad you're safe there, paul. That's a bad way to start the morning! :o

Our less-than-four-year-old TV died. Probably a power supply issue. The red LED should be on if the set is off and it's not. Unplugged/replugged and checked power and it's good. Boo, hiss! :evil:
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

The Egg
Gold subscriber
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:04 am

Anybody know how to prevent Gmail from automatically filtering messages from a specific address? I have a registration/confirmation email that I need to come through, and it's apparently getting slapped-down by gmail's servers and not even making it into my Spam folder. The sender has no form of tech support, so there's no way to address it on that end.

Didn't think this was worth its own thread, so it got DYMT'd :P

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:18 pm

Death is a side effect of birth.

derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:10 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
Our less-than-four-year-old TV died. Probably a power supply issue. The red LED should be on if the set is off and it's not. Unplugged/replugged and checked power and it's good. Boo, hiss! :evil:

So if you leave the TV unplugged for 5-10 minutes and turn it on again, half the screen gets some weird dim lines across it and then the panel shuts off. At that point it doesn't respond to the remote input. But you can repeat that cycle as much as you want.

The good news is my wife believes it to be a total loss and I can buy a new 4K TV when the funds are available (she's not going to insist we try to get it fixed first). The bad news is they wont be available until I'm sure all the Christmas shopping is done. We'll be watching my sad 32" Westinghouse 720p TV for the forseeable future. :cry:

The Egg
Gold subscriber

Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:42 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-whitelist-a-sender-or-domain-in-gmail-1172106

No luck, unfortunately. I think that's more for email which is received and automatically moved into the Spam folder, whereas these messages are being blocked by the server before they even hit the inbox.

derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:52 pm

I know with Google Apps you can manually whitelist senders so they don't get blocked entirely. Probably not possible with a personal Gmail account?

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:44 pm

derfunk, something similar happened to our old plasma.

We decided to just replace it; the quotes we got to fix anything were a good chunk of money (like a couple hundred bucks) and given that it happened superbowl week there were good deals some 50"+ TVs so...yeah we just did that instead
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:09 pm

I never really go to candy stores, today I did, hopefully I never do again. :oops:
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

ludi
Darth Gerbil

Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:32 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
So if you leave the TV unplugged for 5-10 minutes and turn it on again, half the screen gets some weird dim lines across it and then the panel shuts off. At that point it doesn't respond to the remote input. But you can repeat that cycle as much as you want.

He's dead, Jim. You might have some luck swapping boards if you can find them on eBay but otherwise, the problem can be almost anywhere. I banged my head against the wall on a 50" plasma at one point a few years ago -- there was not one part visibly blown, and nothing I could practically troubleshoot to figure out what might be dead. Had to give up. Been running into the same thing with LCD monitors at the office, too. Used to be a PSU capacitor was the problem and an easy fix. Not anymore.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:25 pm

ludi wrote:
He's dead, Jim. You might have some luck swapping boards if you can find them on eBay but otherwise, the problem can be almost anywhere. I banged my head against the wall on a 50" plasma at one point a few years ago -- there was not one part visibly blown, and nothing I could practically troubleshoot to figure out what might be dead. Had to give up. Been running into the same thing with LCD monitors at the office, too. Used to be a PSU capacitor was the problem and an easy fix. Not anymore.

paulWTAMU wrote:
derfunk, something similar happened to our old plasma.

We decided to just replace it; the quotes we got to fix anything were a good chunk of money (like a couple hundred bucks) and given that it happened superbowl week there were good deals some 50"+ TVs so...yeah we just did that instead

Thanks guys. Together you make me feel like I'm not leaving any cheaper options on the table. So the next thing to do is drool over 55-60" 4K HDR displays until I can buy one during the after-Christmas sales in December.

Seems like Samsungs are generally well-regarded TVs. But my use case is very specific: I'm going to be looking for a low-latency 4K TV so I can get the most out of my PS4 Pro. This one (an RCA I got in late 2013) had some lag but it wasn't really noticeable until I got back into retro games and built a Raspberry Pi system. That same Pi and my SNES Classic both run great with no perceptible lag on the 27" Viewsonic monitor I bought, but it'd be nice to play that one or the other on the couch, and also get low latency and full resolution for my PS4 Pro.

Might be better as a separate thread closer to the purchase date.

The Egg
Gold subscriber

Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:14 pm

I recently replaced a couple blown caps on the power board of a 42" plasma, and it was a piece of cake. Your results will vary wildly though, depending on the exact model and issue (I got lucky in almost every facet). It sounds like you might not actually want it fixed though. :wink:

derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:17 pm

No not really :lol:

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:48 pm

Checked out Red Arrow Tap Room last night. Interesting concept. They hand you a smartcard when you arrive; all of the beer is self-serve, but you need to insert your card into a slot below the tap to turn it on. The beer is sold by the ounce, and each pour is recorded on your card.

So you can work your way down the line, sampling just a couple of ounces of things that sound interesting to you, until you find something you want a larger pour of. Or just go straight to your favorite, if you're not in the mood to experiment.

The food was decent too.

The Egg
Gold subscriber

Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:08 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Checked out Red Arrow Tap Room last night. Interesting concept. They hand you a smartcard when you arrive; all of the beer is self-serve, but you need to insert your card into a slot below the tap to turn it on. The beer is sold by the ounce, and each pour is recorded on your card.

So you can work your way down the line, sampling just a couple of ounces of things that sound interesting to you, until you find something you want a larger pour of. Or just go straight to your favorite, if you're not in the mood to experiment.

The food was decent too.

That sounds awesome. I’ll definitely have to check it out.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:41 am

For those of us in the US, what are your plans for the week? I figure a lot of people are taking an extra day (or three) off to travel out of town over the Thanksgiving holiday?

I'm working a normal workday Mon-Wed. Should be a pretty quiet few days at the office; maybe I can actually get something done instead of spending most of my time dealing with interruptions and going to useless meetings.

We're having the family over on Saturday instead of Thursday (so we will probably be spending Thanksgiving cleaning the house).

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:41 am

Looks like I'll be doing a recruiting visit to a school near home on Wednesday then talking off until Monday. Planning to get a lot of flight time in. Not to much else for me to do. :lol:
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:00 am

Well I opened my laptop, fired up Outlook, and logged into Skype for Business (formerly known as Lync) and then remembered that I'm one of those using a few vacation days this week and quickly shut the lid. I hope nobody saw me. :lol:

Chuckaluphagus
Silver subscriber
Gerbil Elite

Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:09 am

just brew it! wrote:
For those of us in the US, what are your plans for the week? I figure a lot of people are taking an extra day (or three) off to travel out of town over the Thanksgiving holiday?.

Working half-days today through Wednesday, spending the rest of the time preparing what I can in advance - roasted and mashed the pumpkin, have the pie crust dough done, making cranberry sauce today etc. That or "pre-relaxing", where I lounge around and attempt to ignore the fact that I have all this cooking to do and that Thanksgiving, though I love it, is exhausting when I'm the only one who knows his way around a kitchen.

My relatives are good people, but are surprisingly incapable when it comes to doing even simple things like "make a pot of coffee".

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:12 am

Chuckaluphagus wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
For those of us in the US, what are your plans for the week? I figure a lot of people are taking an extra day (or three) off to travel out of town over the Thanksgiving holiday?.

Working half-days today through Wednesday, spending the rest of the time preparing what I can in advance - roasted and mashed the pumpkin, have the pie crust dough done, making cranberry sauce today etc. That or "pre-relaxing", where I lounge around and attempt to ignore the fact that I have all this cooking to do and that Thanksgiving, though I love it, is exhausting when I'm the only one who knows his way around a kitchen.

My relatives are good people, but are surprisingly incapable when it comes to doing even simple things like "make a pot of coffee".

I guess I have it relatively easy then. Everyone in the immediate family knows how to cook, and one (youngest daughter) even has formal training as a chef. :wink: