Personal computing discussed

Moderators: Captain Ned, emkubed

 
The Egg
Gold subscriber
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Posts: 2236
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2008 4:46 pm

Re: DYMT: Imi's Legacy

Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:19 am

Thanksgiving is easily the best holiday of the year. I initially wanted to boycott any stores forcing their employees to work Thanksgiving Day, but at this point I'd be boycotting everyone. I simply don't want any part of that crap, and most Black Fridays I stay indoors (or at most, hang out with family/friends without going anywhere).
 
Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil
Posts: 4239
Joined: Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:21 pm
Location: Denham Springs, LA

Re: DYMT: Imi's Legacy

Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:18 pm

I'm not a fan of going home during Thanksgiving really. My usual parking spots will kick me out in anticipation of the flood which replaces all sentient life with snarling mutant dangerous lifeforms.
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.
 
Chuckaluphagus
Silver subscriber
Gerbil Elite
Posts: 691
Joined: Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:29 pm
Location: Boston area, MA

Re: DYMT: Imi's Legacy

Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:14 am

just brew it! wrote:
Chuckaluphagus wrote:
My relatives are good people, but are surprisingly incapable when it comes to doing even simple things like "make a pot of coffee".

I guess I have it relatively easy then. Everyone in the immediate family knows how to cook, and one (youngest daughter) even has formal training as a chef. :wink:

I'm teaching my son how to cook and bake - he's young, so right now it's having him run the food processor, taste ingredients, read off the weight on the kitchen scale etc. He's not gung ho into it, but he's happy to participate, especially if sugar or salt are involved.

When making pie crusts this weekend, he wanted to know why we couldn't add brown sugar, because "that's better sugar."
 
Vhalidictes
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Jedi
Posts: 1682
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2005 2:32 pm
Location: Paragon City, RI

Re: DYMT: Imi's Legacy

Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:31 am

Chuckaluphagus wrote:
When making pie crusts this weekend, he wanted to know why we couldn't add brown sugar, because "that's better sugar."


That's a wise statement from a young man, brown sugar is indeed better.
 
Chuckaluphagus
Silver subscriber
Gerbil Elite
Posts: 691
Joined: Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:29 pm
Location: Boston area, MA

Re: DYMT: Imi's Legacy

Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:10 pm

Vhalidictes wrote:
Chuckaluphagus wrote:
When making pie crusts this weekend, he wanted to know why we couldn't add brown sugar, because "that's better sugar."


That's a wise statement from a young man, brown sugar is indeed better.

Oh, I agreed with him that it does taste better. Just not sure how it might affect the final outcome of the crust, since it absorbs more moisture than white sugar. An experiment for another time.
 
just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator
Posts: 49741
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 10:51 pm
Location: Somewhere, having a beer

Re: DYMT: Imi's Legacy

Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:52 pm

A little bit of brown sugar can work in darker beers too. Especially in English styles, where sugar and/or molasses have been traditional ingredients.

Somewhat counter-intuitively, adding sugar to a beer recipe doesn't tend to make it sweeter. Brewer's yeast loves simple sugars, and ferment them completely. So brown sugar will typically get you more alcohol, and a subtle rum-like character (but not a sugary sweetness).
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
 
Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil
Posts: 4239
Joined: Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:21 pm
Location: Denham Springs, LA

Re: DYMT: Imi's Legacy

Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:59 am

Nothing wrong with more alcohol :)
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.
 
Chuckaluphagus
Silver subscriber
Gerbil Elite
Posts: 691
Joined: Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:29 pm
Location: Boston area, MA

Re: DYMT: Imi's Legacy

Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:28 am

Heiwashin wrote:
Nothing wrong with more alcohol :)

I started putting bourbon in my pecan pie about ten years ago, and it makes it so much better. 1 oz. (30 ml if you want metric) is all right for a 10" pie , but don't do less. 1.5 oz. is ideal, 2 oz. is excessive and ends up too boozy.
 
ludi
Darth Gerbil
Posts: 7452
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2002 10:47 pm
Location: Sunny Colorado front range

Re: DYMT: Imi's Legacy

Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:27 pm

Chuckaluphagus wrote:
Heiwashin wrote:
Nothing wrong with more alcohol :)

I started putting bourbon in my pecan pie about ten years ago, and it makes it so much better. 1 oz. (30 ml if you want metric) is all right for a 10" pie , but don't do less. 1.5 oz. is ideal, 2 oz. is excessive and ends up too boozy.

Now measure brandy into your apple pies at about the same ratio. May have to bump the flour slightly to absorb the extra liquid, depending on the dryness of the apples.

Similar amount of Amaretto for a cherry pie, slightly less Grand Marnier or Cointreau for a blueberry pie.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration
 
Chuckaluphagus
Silver subscriber
Gerbil Elite
Posts: 691
Joined: Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:29 pm
Location: Boston area, MA

Re: DYMT: Imi's Legacy

Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:02 pm

ludi wrote:
Chuckaluphagus wrote:
Heiwashin wrote:
Nothing wrong with more alcohol :)

I started putting bourbon in my pecan pie about ten years ago, and it makes it so much better. 1 oz. (30 ml if you want metric) is all right for a 10" pie , but don't do less. 1.5 oz. is ideal, 2 oz. is excessive and ends up too boozy.

Now measure brandy into your apple pies at about the same ratio. May have to bump the flour slightly to absorb the extra liquid, depending on the dryness of the apples.

Similar amount of Amaretto for a cherry pie, slightly less Grand Marnier or Cointreau for a blueberry pie.

I will have to try those, thank you.

In the past I've done apple pie crust with half the butter replaced with bacon drippings. That turns out beautifully, a great smokey flavor to the crust. Can't do it for this holiday, though, brother-in-law is vegetarian.
 
DancinJack
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Posts: 3186
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:21 pm
Location: Kansas

Re: DYMT: Imi's Legacy

Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:18 pm

Chuckaluphagus wrote:
I will have to try those, thank you.

In the past I've done apple pie crust with half the butter replaced with bacon drippings. That turns out beautifully, a great smokey flavor to the crust. Can't do it for this holiday, though, brother-in-law is vegetarian.


My brother and his girlfriend came over the other day and made an apple pie with granny smith apples (the best apple) and cinnamon rolls as the crust, for the bottom and top. Clearly not super great for you, but pretty damn good.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100
 
Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil
Posts: 4239
Joined: Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:21 pm
Location: Denham Springs, LA

Re: DYMT: Imi's Legacy

Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:44 pm

"Gobble gobble go easy on the throttle." Hahaha you're so **** clever DOT. When people imagined a dystopian future of being bombarded by government messages, they never thought it would be cheesy ass garbage rhymes.
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.
 
Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 26474
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: Vermont, USA

Re: DYMT: Imi's Legacy

Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:49 pm

Heiwashin wrote:
"Gobble gobble go easy on the throttle." Hahaha you're so **** clever DOT. When people imagined a dystopian future of being bombarded by government messages, they never thought it would be cheesy ass garbage rhymes.

You must be too young for "Give a hoot, don't pollute".
If the Earth were flat, cats would have pushed everything off of it by now.
 
DancinJack
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Posts: 3186
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:21 pm
Location: Kansas

Re: DYMT: Imi's Legacy

Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:50 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
Heiwashin wrote:
"Gobble gobble go easy on the throttle." Hahaha you're so **** clever DOT. When people imagined a dystopian future of being bombarded by government messages, they never thought it would be cheesy ass garbage rhymes.

You must be too young for "Give a hoot, don't pollute".


I don't think he is, but I'm not sure that was run much in Louisana.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100
 
Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 26474
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: Vermont, USA

Re: DYMT: Imi's Legacy

Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:21 pm

Let me start the Thanksgiving holiday a bit early with an annual tradition 'round these parts.

https://youtu.be/lf3mgmEdfwg

"As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly."
If the Earth were flat, cats would have pushed everything off of it by now.
 
Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil
Posts: 4239
Joined: Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:21 pm
Location: Denham Springs, LA

Re: DYMT: Imi's Legacy

Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:11 pm

Go home with promises of a turkey and some other assorted goodies for thanksgiving. Get there and find a disorganized pile of half ingredients and an expecting look. At least if i do it i know it'll be tasty. I gave up experimenting after i tried bagging turkeys in the oven. It just makes such a juicy ball of delicious.
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.
 
paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I
Posts: 6173
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2004 5:14 am
Location: Amarillo, Texas

Re: DYMT: Imi's Legacy

Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:49 pm

Ribs

Brisket

Turkey

4 types of sweet potatoes

2 types of pie

huge salad

I'm stuffed as hell and carb loaded. Tomorrow's deadlifts will be epic; trying 295 for 10 then a few sets of 5-6.
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.
 
Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil
Posts: 4239
Joined: Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:21 pm
Location: Denham Springs, LA

Re: DYMT: Imi's Legacy

Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:06 pm

A little cut of some peaceful flying. It was bumpy but fun.

Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.
 
ludi
Darth Gerbil
Posts: 7452
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2002 10:47 pm
Location: Sunny Colorado front range

Re: DYMT: Imi's Legacy

Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:36 am

Heiwashin wrote:
A little cut of some peaceful flying. It was bumpy but fun.

Two or three more hobbies like this one and the half dozen you've already got, and the sleeper compartment of your truck is going to look like the prop trailer at a Bond shoot.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration
 
Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil
Posts: 4239
Joined: Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:21 pm
Location: Denham Springs, LA

Re: DYMT: Imi's Legacy

Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:54 am

I grew up loving those movies. Maybe that's my problem. :lol:
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.
 
Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil
Posts: 4239
Joined: Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:21 pm
Location: Denham Springs, LA

Re: DYMT: Imi's Legacy

Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:51 am

I created a new policy for myself this weekend. From now on when I hear someone clearly... Pleasuring themselves... In the restroom I'm going to take out my phone, record it, and post it on YouTube or something.

I still wonder if they're just that out of control or if it's intentionally in public.

Edit* fixing autocorrect
Last edited by Heiwashin on Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.
 
just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator
Posts: 49741
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 10:51 pm
Location: Somewhere, having a beer

Re: DYMT: Imi's Legacy

Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:09 am

Heiwashin wrote:
I still wonder of they're just that out of control or if it's intentionally in public.

Could be a twofer. I.e., uncontrollable urge to do it in public.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
 
Chuckaluphagus
Silver subscriber
Gerbil Elite
Posts: 691
Joined: Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:29 pm
Location: Boston area, MA

Re: DYMT: Imi's Legacy

Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:39 am

Heiwashin wrote:
I created a new policy for myself this weekend. From now on when I hear someone clearly... Pleasuring themselves... In the restroom I'm going to take out my phone, record it, and post it on YouTube or something.

I still wonder if they're just that out of control or if it's intentionally in public.

Have managed to go my entire life without running across that situation, thankfully. Did hear people snorting lines in the toilet stalls in the office I used to work in, though, which just skeeved me out.
 
DancinJack
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Posts: 3186
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:21 pm
Location: Kansas

Re: DYMT: Imi's Legacy

Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:11 pm

Ubuntu 17.10 is out. Wayland (assuming you have the hardware) + GNOME are defaults. Maybe Ubuntu can get some of its joose back.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100
 
Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God
Posts: 21687
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2004 4:53 pm
Location: Orlando, FL
Contact:

Re: DYMT: Imi's Legacy

Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:32 pm

We picked up an Xbox One S for Black Friday. $210 including a 2nd controller was too good of a deal to pass up. The backwards compatibility is great. Played the 360 version of Lego Star Wars. It looks like the games that were made for both 360 & XBone aren't offered as a 'free upgrade' though, which is somewhat unfortunate. Probably going to have to re-buy Lego Jurassic World. Lego City Undercover looks like one my son would enjoy too. I'm waiting got see what they will do with SW episode 8. I'm hoping for an expansion to 7 or at least a bundle deal. I'll probably pick it up. I prefer the games that tie in almost 1:1 with the movie storylines; the Marvel one's were too hard to follow, in my opinion.
 
derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God
Posts: 23841
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2003 9:13 pm
Location: Comin' to you directly from the Mothership

Re: DYMT: Imi's Legacy

Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:38 pm

That lack of cross-buy is kind of a pain. Sony offered that on first-party games and some other devs have offered it, too, between PS3, PS4, and PS Vita, which is cool.

It'd be nice if these backward-compatibility options let you stick the disc in and at least try it even if it's not officially supported. This might sound stupid, but I'd really love to play All-Pro Football 2k8 again. I'm not going to buy a last-gen console to do it, though.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
 
DancinJack
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Posts: 3186
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:21 pm
Location: Kansas

Re: DYMT: Imi's Legacy

Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:50 pm

Many of the original Xbox and 360 games are in the store. I have Red Dead on my Xbone. It works great. Of course it would be nice to just "get" the games you already purchased once nine years ago, but alas, that's not the world we live in.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100
 
just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator
Posts: 49741
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 10:51 pm
Location: Somewhere, having a beer

Re: DYMT: Imi's Legacy

Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:51 pm

DancinJack wrote:
Ubuntu 17.10 is out. Wayland (assuming you have the hardware) + GNOME are defaults. Maybe Ubuntu can get some of its joose back.

I'll wait until 18.04 LTS drops and see if it looks good enough to make me switch back to GNOME from KDE. I originally jumped ship for KDE back when Unity and GNOME 3 pissed me off.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
 
Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God
Posts: 21687
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2004 4:53 pm
Location: Orlando, FL
Contact:

Re: DYMT: Imi's Legacy

Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:58 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
That lack of cross-buy is kind of a pain. Sony offered that on first-party games and some other devs have offered it, too, between PS3, PS4, and PS Vita, which is cool.

It'd be nice if these backward-compatibility options let you stick the disc in and at least try it even if it's not officially supported. This might sound stupid, but I'd really love to play All-Pro Football 2k8 again. I'm not going to buy a last-gen console to do it, though.

MS would say that the cross-buy exists today with xbox+pc gaming, which I'll admit is a nice touch. Doesn't help for older games though. I don't mind it, I just wish they wouldn't give the error message that says "this game doesn't work in backwards compatibility mode" and instead said "this game is available in a version native to this console". Heck if they would give me a link to digitally buy the new version right there, they might have gotten my money last night.
 
derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God
Posts: 23841
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2003 9:13 pm
Location: Comin' to you directly from the Mothership

Re: DYMT: Imi's Legacy

Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:58 pm

DancinJack wrote:
Many of the original Xbox and 360 games are in the store. I have Red Dead on my Xbone. It works great. Of course it would be nice to just "get" the games you already purchased once nine years ago, but alas, that's not the world we live in.

The games that are officially backward-compatible that I bought on the 360 marketplace are in my collection, so it's not like I have to re-buy anything.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 23 guests