Moderators: Captain Ned, emkubed

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Re: DYMT: Imi's Legacy

Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:36 pm

paulWTAMU wrote:
why the hell are T&P relief valves so stubborn and why isn't there more clearance between the body of the water heater and the pipe that connects to the valve. Ugh.

They're usually gooped up with pipe dope when being installed.
Humans sleep soundly in their beds because rough cats stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:56 pm

Yep. And I managed to break it while getting it off about 10 minutes after posting that. *sigh*. Oh well, I'll measure and get replacement piping when I'm back at the hardware store getting a new water heater.

Full story because I want to vent: We had our youngest son's birthday party yesterday. He turned 3. While herding a toddler to the bathroom, I notice there's water just gushing out of the closet where the water heater is. Get the shut-offs shut off, get the hose to drain it, leave the tub's hot faucet going to help drain, etc. Mop up the mess.

So today I've been boiling water to clean all the dishes from the party, doing lots of laundry on cold, and getting the water heater out of the closet. Ugh. Cleaning up a party's worth of dishes without a dishwasher in between working on pipes and getting the water heater out has sucked
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

PerfectCr
Gold subscriber
Darth Gerbil

Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:24 pm

ludi wrote:
PerfectCr wrote:
I travel a lot for work and yeah it's crazy what gets flagged and what doesn't. I bought some stuff for kids in Hong Kong in August with my check card...no issues. Then I buy some random thing at Best Buy last month.. FLAGGED. :o :roll:

"Some random thing from [insert retail chain]" can be easily flipped on eBay or Craigslist for cash, or laundered for future use by returning it for store credit without a receipt. It might also be a trial run for a much larger fraudulent purchase at that same merchant. If your card doesn't have a history with that retailer for transactions in that range, it's a likely a big red flag for a stolen number.

Oh yeah for sure! I totally get that. Just pointing out sometimes the algorithms seems to be a little off :)
Intel Core i5-8400 | MSI Z370M Gaming PRO | EVGA GTX 1070 Ti FTW | 16GB Corsair Vengeance | Corsair RM750x | Fractal Meshify C Mini | ASUS PG279Q

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:22 pm

turns out I am hosed so hard my anus is bruising.

My water heater is in a location that is no longer legal for it to be in. Since I'm replacing it, I'll have to relocate it. Usually I'd say the hell with it and do it anyway but we're moving in May or June and putting the house for sale. So it has to pass inspection.

Damnit.
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:09 pm

paulWTAMU wrote:
turns out I am hosed so hard my anus is bruising.

My water heater is in a location that is no longer legal for it to be in. Since I'm replacing it, I'll have to relocate it. Usually I'd say the hell with it and do it anyway but we're moving in May or June and putting the house for sale. So it has to pass inspection.

Damnit.

On the bright side, you would've needed to do it anyway to pass inspection. At least you're finding that out 6 months ahead of time instead of when the buyer has their inspection done.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:12 pm

PerfectCr wrote:
ludi wrote:
PerfectCr wrote:
I travel a lot for work and yeah it's crazy what gets flagged and what doesn't. I bought some stuff for kids in Hong Kong in August with my check card...no issues. Then I buy some random thing at Best Buy last month.. FLAGGED. :o :roll:

"Some random thing from [insert retail chain]" can be easily flipped on eBay or Craigslist for cash, or laundered for future use by returning it for store credit without a receipt. It might also be a trial run for a much larger fraudulent purchase at that same merchant. If your card doesn't have a history with that retailer for transactions in that range, it's a likely a big red flag for a stolen number.

Oh yeah for sure! I totally get that. Just pointing out sometimes the algorithms seems to be a little off :)

I had my debit card get deactivated once, when I tried to use it at an ATM in San Diego. Bank's explanation was that they'd recently had a flood of debit card fraud in So Cal, so any out-of-state debit card use triggered an instant suspension. :o Took 'em a day to turn it back on too; very inconvenient (had to borrow some cash from a friend we were traveling with). :roll:

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:24 pm

I need to train myself to ignore work-related Slack channels when I've taken the day off. :-?

derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:52 pm

just brew it! wrote:
I need to train myself to ignore work-related Slack channels when I've taken the day off. :-?

I'm kind of struggling. I have to keep an eye on email because I turned in my tuition reimbursement request forms, but I haven't gotten anything back acknowledging them, so its' eating away at me that there's a question sitting unanswered. But then I get work emails and think "Oh I can answer this quick"
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:11 pm

At least you have that excuse. I do not receive work-related e-mails at my personal address unless I'm doing some contract work on the side (which I have not done for at least a year now). So it's all on me that I decided to open the work-related Slack workspace. :roll:

It doesn't help that some of my co-workers send non-work-related PMs via the company Slack...

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:58 am

Humans sleep soundly in their beds because rough cats stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:40 pm

Captain Ned wrote:

To bad id have to wait millions of year to see it happen. It'd probably be cool to watch.
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:58 pm

Another random event time!

I'm in kentucky, which makes it hard to understand what people are saying sometimes, but still i understood that two old acquaintances had met up in this walmart restroom and were catching up. In the blur i hear a ladies voice followed by a short exchange about the ladies room being closed. Someone then proclaims, "well come on in". The gentleman evacuate, and she enters the stall beside me. This left me awkwardly confused as i have found myself in a public restroom situation, yet again, where i need to go to my happy place and escape.

Another gentlemen entered and checked the stalls to find them full so he waited and i smirked at the upcoming awkward situation. When she finished her business she stepped out and was met with a slightly confused grunt, the preparation for an even more confused response i'm sure. Without missing a step towards the door she confidently but merrily declared, "You're in the wrong bathroom sir" and disappeared out the door. This left him confused at first, and then vocally bewildered and amused, and it left me wondering how many more unimaginable things i'm going to experience in public restrooms.
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

The Egg
Gold subscriber
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:09 pm

^ If she said that without laughing, that's pretty amusing. Sounds like you had the least fun of everyone involved (suddenly found yourself s**ting next to a woman).

derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:11 am

Ya gotta write a book. The Poopoir of a Truck Driver. :lol:
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

FroBozz_Inc
Darth Gerbil

Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:47 am

Gotta love story time. Kudos to you Heiwashin, keep them coming :lol:

Long ago, there was a guy named Action Jim that told the best stories here. Stories that were unforgettable and will leave you changed forever. LOL :lol:

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:44 am

FroBozz_Inc wrote:
Long ago, there was a guy named Action Jim that told the best stories here. Stories that were unforgettable and will leave you changed forever. LOL :lol:

viewtopic.php?p=584578#p584578

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:22 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
FroBozz_Inc wrote:

viewtopic.php?p=584578#p584578

Those links no longer seem to go straight to the relevant post, though they do seem to get you to the correct page (at least the ones I checked).

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:30 pm

I've spent an hour this evening getting gifts for my gaming buddies on steam, finding the most negative way i can cast the gift and signing it anti-claus. I'm quite tickled with myself. :lol:

For example,
Cuphead:

I'm happy to give you hours of frustration and rage for christmas. Enjoy! Signed: anti-claus
When drunk.....

AMD64Blondie
Gerbil First Class

Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:01 am

23 degrees F this morning here in Portland,OR.Too damn cold.

Thankfully,I took today and tomorrow off from work.(Portland State University was already closed yesterday for Christmas.)

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:11 am

AMD64Blondie wrote:

Wow, below freezing. How do you cope? 8)

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.ph ... kJ0VXlG29J

And that's not particularly cold for this area at this time.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:14 am

Pffft. -4F this morning when I left for work. 1F at the office right now.

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:20 am

just brew it! wrote:

Your stuff is headed my way.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:38 am

Captain Ned wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

Your stuff is headed my way.

Yup. Have fun with that!

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:21 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
AMD64Blondie wrote:

Wow, below freezing. How do you cope? 8)

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.ph ... kJ0VXlG29J

And that's not particularly cold for this area at this time.

I'm sitting in Ristretto Roasters a bit east of the Columbia right now, looking out at NE Couch Street. There are icy patches still plastering the side routes, and most of these people have no idea what to do it. This city only just increased its snowplow fleet beyond a single digit number around twelve years ago, when a storm unexpectedly dumped 8 inches and left it near-paralyzed for two full days.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

farmpuma
Silver subscriber
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Location: Soybean field, IN, USA, Earth .. just a bit south of John .. err .... Fart Wayne, Indiana

Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:34 am

Yep, -4 F here this morning. Yesterday we set a record low high temp at 9 F. Thinking of putting a 10K BTU kerosene heater in the basement for the dirty dozen tomcats. So far the kitty door hasn't frozen shut.
[img]http://[/img] Image
.* * M-51 * *. .The Whirlpool Galaxy. .Good gun control is hitting your target and only your target.

Vhalidictes
Silver subscriber
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:45 pm

just brew it! wrote:

I have the opposite problem. A major issue happened when I was out, I'm looking into working on it with no ideas what happened or what fixes were tried, because everything was kept to PMs.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:05 pm

Yeah, we get some of that here too. The flip side is people who create new public channels at the drop of a hat for every new issue that comes up, which clutters the channel list. At least that means there's a central-ish place for the ensuing discussion. Except for the bits that end up as comments attached to the Jira ticket(s). And (later) the review comments attached to the Git pull request for the proposed fix. And then someone goes, "wait, this has gotten complicated enough that we need to pull all of the relevant bits together in one place", and creates a Confluence page (which never gets updated and only serves as a decoy to unsuspecting newcomers since it only captures a snapshot in time of the discussion).

Fun times.

Vhalidictes
Silver subscriber
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:12 pm

JBI, so there's this thing called a Ticketing system... it's pretty good at tracking issues outside of Slack...

(All kidding aside, I feel your pain - not every company is as organized as mine)

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:39 pm

Vhalidictes wrote:
JBI, so there's this thing called a Ticketing system... it's pretty good at tracking issues outside of Slack...

(All kidding aside, I feel your pain - not every company is as organized as mine)

We use the ticketing system too. It's just one more place that discussions (and random side discussions) take place.

At least everyone seems to have pretty much abandoned e-mail, other than as a way to be notified when something of interest has changed in the ticketing system or Github. So that's one less potential place that vital bits of context can be squirreled away. :lol:

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:37 pm

This is only my second time working in sub zero conditions and i paid for it. Not thinking i used my arm to support some metal, that had been out doors, as i was moving it. Within minutes it felt like i had suffered a nice large burn and at this point it looks like it too.
When drunk.....