Personal computing discussed

Moderators: Captain Ned, emkubed

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Re: DYMT: Imi's Legacy

Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:19 pm

I hiked about 6-7 miles; it was ~15 degrees when I started and warmed up to a balmy 20 or so when I was done.

My mustache froze into a giant icicle, but I saw lots of cool birds and some deer, and a fox, so that was nice
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

farmpuma
Silver subscriber
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Location: Soybean field, IN, USA, Earth .. just a bit south of John .. err .... Fart Wayne, Indiana

Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:20 am

Heiwashin wrote:
This is only my second time working in sub zero conditions and i paid for it. Not thinking i used my arm to support some metal, that had been out doors, as i was moving it. Within minutes it felt like i had suffered a nice large burn and at this point it looks like it too.

It's possible you left some skin attached to that metal.
Image Image
.* * M-51 * *. .The Whirlpool Galaxy.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:56 am

Gross. Set myself up to head to Texas for this long new year's weekend so I'm going to warm up a bit.
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:58 am

Frostbite is similar to a burn in some ways. You've killed the skin and some of the underlying tissue by subjecting it to temperatures outside the range it is designed to tolerate.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:06 am

farmpuma wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvKw_V3e36g
Humans sleep soundly in their beds because rough cats stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:14 am

Captain Ned wrote:
farmpuma wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvKw_V3e36g

I just knew you were gonna post that! :lol:

In other goings-on, I plan to brew my first ever Wheatwine this weekend. Strangely, it is a style I have never brewed before (I have brewed most other ale styles at least once). I plan to split the batch and age half of it on Bourbon-soaked oak cubes (to simulate Bourbon barrel aging).

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:11 am

Minor rant...

So I don't know a lot about plumbing, and just spent way more time than should've been necessary looking at faucet adapters online.

Background: I want to brew this weekend; I normally connect my wort chiller (similar to this one, but an ugly DIY ghetto version of it) to the outside faucet by the patio. With the single-digit and sub-zero cold we've been having, attempting to use the outside faucet is not feasible (or at least highly undesirable). I suppose I could just set the pot outside on the patio to cool, but that would require carrying a really full pot with 5+ gallons of boiling hot liquid from the kitchen to the patio, and would take several hours to chill to fermentation temperature... no thanks.

Can't connect to the kitchen faucet, as that has a handheld sprayer with a non-removable aerator.

Obvious solution is to run a hose down the hall to the half-bath and connect to the faucet. OK, I need an adapter. Aerators apparently come in two different diameters, with inside or outside threads. I determine I have the smaller kind, with outside (male) threads. Well, neither Lowes or Home Depot seem to carry a faucet-to-hose adapter which has male small-diameter aerator threads on one end, and male garden hose threads on the other. :roll:

Finally manage to determine that what I actually need is something they call a dishwasher aerator adapter (apparently so named because it allows you to connect a portable dishwasher to the faucet where your aerator would normally go). Except that for some unfathomable reason, the hose threads are female instead of male. But I do have a male-to-male hose adapter somewhere... just need to find it in the mess.

And why the heck are the sizes of most threaded connectors specified as the diameter of the connector (makes sense!) whereas threaded garden hose connectors are specified by the diameter of the hose? I was like, "WTF is with all these 3/4 inch hose adapters? The hose connector is 1 inch!" I could understand if these were barbed connectors designed to mate to a section of hose with a hose clamp, but these are just simple threaded adapters. :evil:

Anyhow, I guess I'll be running over to the Lowes later today or tomorrow.

ludi
Darth Gerbil

Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:18 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Anyhow, I guess I'll be running over to the Lowes later today or tomorrow.

Got an Ace Hardware nearby? I've found them far more reliable for specialty parts than the home improvements stores.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Redocbew
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:37 pm

Ace is usually my spot for hardware also. Often times when I'm there it's for fasteners of some kind, but they do seem to have a good supply of plumbing hardware also.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:39 pm

Heishwan: I'm IN Texas and we have a forecasted low in the single digits Sunday and Monday.

I'm planning more hiking
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:43 pm

paulWTAMU wrote:
Heishwan: I'm IN Texas and we have a forecasted low in the single digits Sunday and Monday.

I'm planning more hiking

I'm headed to corpus Christi where it's nice, warm and gulfy.
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:49 pm

@Redocbew - Yeah, there's an Ace nearby too. Their web site tends to be less helpful though, which is why I hit the other two first. Maybe I'll swing by the Ace first, and head over to Lowes if Ace doesn't have what I need. I do like to support the underdog; hey, it's why my primary desktop is still an AMD FX-8350 (probably soon to be a Ryzen of some stripe)! :lol:

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:07 pm

I hate dealing with banks. We're in the middle of a refi.

Home inspection with mere hours notice ("what do you mean you want to do the inspection today, I'm at work")... repeated questions about employment history ("yes, that change less than two years ago was because the company got acquired, not because I quit or was fired, like we already discussed")... errors on the credit report ("I have no idea why the office address of a former employer is listed as a prior home address" and "no, that's not the balance on our home equity line, that's the credit limit")... allegedly "secure" communications (from multiple sources!) that look like phishing scams... and (at long last) trying to comprehend all the numbers on the closing statement.

Fun times.

All in the name of shaving a point and a half off the rate...

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:40 pm

Why would someone intentionally choose to live somewhere that gets that cold? It’s getting chilly, down to 56 tonight. I’m going to have to pull out my sweater.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:02 pm

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
Why would someone intentionally choose to live somewhere that gets that cold?

I was born here, grew up here, my family is here, my friends are here, I started and built my career here, and my professional network is here. I did not choose to live here, it is more like it chose me.

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:03 pm

Usacomp2k3 wrote:

Why would anyone intentionally submit themselves to Orlando in August?
Humans sleep soundly in their beds because rough cats stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:26 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
Usacomp2k3 wrote:

Ehh... although our average daily high during the summer is lower than Orlando's, temps can spike really high once you get away from the moderating effects of Lake Michigan. Out here in the western 'burbs, heat waves can push temps into the triple digits; and it's not a dry heat like you see out in the desert states of the Southwest; it's frikkin' humid, like Orlando. In a typical year, the range of temperatures from the coldest winter nights to the hottest summer days spans more than 100 degrees F.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:03 am

just brew it! wrote:
Usacomp2k3 wrote:

I was born here, grew up here, my family is here, my friends are here, I started and built my career here, and my professional network is here. I did not choose to live here, it is more like it chose me.

I ask people that all the time :lol:

In much the same way that I don't remember it ever being a problem when it was 100+ in Louisiana they aren't bothered by the cold.

Now that I'm all over the place I'm bothered by the heat AND the cold.
When drunk.....

superjawes
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:27 am

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
Why would someone intentionally choose to live somewhere that gets that cold? It’s getting chilly, down to 56 tonight. I’m going to have to pull out my sweater.

Besides growing up in the place, it's WAY easier to get warm that it is to cool off. If your heater breaks in winter, you throw on more blankets and warm clothes. If your A/C breaks in the summer, you're basically hosed.

On top of that, warm climates tend to come with other issues that colder climates do not have. If you live in the American South, you deal with sweaty, nasty humidity. If you live in the Southwestern desert, summers get so hot that plastics melt, you can't walk your dogs, and you may still end up wearing gloves when driving because you'll burn yourself otherwise.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. Tis a silly place.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:32 am

superjawes wrote:
On top of that, warm climates tend to come with other issues that colder climates do not have. If you live in the American South, you deal with sweaty, nasty humidity. If you live in the Southwestern desert, summers get so hot that plastics melt, you can't walk your dogs, and you may still end up wearing gloves when driving because you'll burn yourself otherwise.

You can't walk your dogs here when it is 5 below either.

JustAnEngineer
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:32 am

superjawes wrote:
If your A/C breaks in the summer, you're basically hosed.
Wear less. :wink:
superjawes wrote:
You may still end up wearing gloves when driving because you'll burn yourself otherwise.
Stick one of these in your window when you park: https://www.covercraft.com/us/en/sunscreens
i7-8700K, H100i v2, RoG Strix Z370-G Gaming, 16 GiB, RX Vega64, 960Pro SSD, 5TB HDD, Define Mini-C, SS-660XP2, C32HG70, RK-9000BR, MX518

G8torbyte
Gold subscriber
Gerbil First Class

Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:17 am

just brew it! wrote:
Captain Ned wrote:
farmpuma wrote:

In other goings-on, I plan to brew my first ever Wheatwine this weekend. Strangely, it is a style I have never brewed before (I have brewed most other ale styles at least once). I plan to split the batch and age half of it on Bourbon-soaked oak cubes (to simulate Bourbon barrel aging).

I was stationed in the UK several years ago and we gave our outgoing commander a farewell gift tour of the Greene King Brewery since he was a brewing enthusiast. It was a nice tour of the facility and I remember the samples of "barley wine" ale they gave us at the end. I think it was called Strong Suffolk after the county which the town of Bury St. Edmunds is located. It was indeed strong >10% alcohol but it had a pleasant sweetish taste. They used two huge wooden casks about two stories tall for their seasonal ales. I was assigned there in the UK for two years and enjoyed pub crawls trying various pints of ales and some real stout Guinness. After that American lagers seemed like drinking water.
Later, -G8tor
Building PCs and gaming since"Chuck Yeager's Air Combat" 1991
Current setups: X99 Command/Control Station and DIY mini-ITX NAS Build

Vhalidictes
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:34 am

just brew it! wrote:
Captain Ned wrote:
Usacomp2k3 wrote:

Ehh... although our average daily high during the summer is lower than Orlando's, temps can spike really high once you get away from the moderating effects of Lake Michigan. Out here in the western 'burbs, heat waves can push temps into the triple digits; and it's not a dry heat like you see out in the desert states of the Southwest; it's frikkin' humid, like Orlando. In a typical year, the range of temperatures from the coldest winter nights to the hottest summer days spans more than 100 degrees F.

The joys of a Continental climate!

Philadelphia is humid as all hell, but at least it never gets brutally hot. Vegas, on the other hand, is always hot and sometimes unbearable but there's no humidity at all. It's nice to never get sticky.

If I could live anywhere I'd probably be somewhere in upstate NY, but everything else about that state (politics, taxes, bills, economy) is a no-go.

G8torbyte
Gold subscriber
Gerbil First Class

Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:05 pm

Vhalidictes wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
Captain Ned wrote:

Philadelphia is humid as all hell, but at least it never gets brutally hot. Vegas, on the other hand, is always hot and sometimes unbearable but there's no humidity at all. It's nice to never get sticky.

If I could live anywhere I'd probably be somewhere in upstate NY, but everything else about that state (politics, taxes, bills, economy) is a no-go.

I grew up in north FL and my wife is from TX but we really enjoy the NE and the 4 seasons. It was 13 degrees here this morning and we may get a little snow tomorrow. Down south the seasons are "hot" and "not so hot" although I have seen it lightly snow in north FL on rare occasions. I'm living in NJ after transitioning from active duty to civil service work. Fortunately I'm not taxed on my military pension but the property taxes here are among the worst in the country along with other ridiculous rules. However, I do like the history, ease of transportation and convenience of being near enough to visit large cities. I'm only staying till my kids are ready to enter the real world and when I have enough equity to sell the house which will be many years yet. After so many military moves it's nice to be settled for awhile.
Later, -G8tor
Building PCs and gaming since"Chuck Yeager's Air Combat" 1991
Current setups: X99 Command/Control Station and DIY mini-ITX NAS Build

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:12 pm

There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate attire :wink:

The hottest I can remember my city being is something like 112, and the coldest I remember is -14 or something like that.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:14 am

So my wife won free tickets to this: http://raksgeek.com/

Yup, if you clicked the link, you read that right -- it is belly dancing and fire dancing, with a sci-fi theme (emphasis on Star Wars). Believe it or not, such a thing really exists! :lol:

It was very entertaining.

We just got back a little over an hour ago; it was all the way in the city (coincidentally, just a few blocks from where I lived until I was 8 years old). We decided to check out an Ethiopian restaurant near the venue for dinner too; there aren't any Ethiopian restaurants out in the 'burbs near us. Dinner was great.

We also killed a little time between dinner and the show at this bar, after noting they had Prairie Christmas Bomb on draft. One of my wife's friends wants her to try and clone that beer, so we figured we'd better do a little research. :wink: It has more coffee in it than I'd personally put in a beer, but was very tasty nonetheless.

The Egg
Gold subscriber

Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:10 am

Sounds like a really good night to me. 8)

Kougar

Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:35 am

just brew it! wrote:

Yup, if you clicked the link, you read that right -- it is belly dancing and fire dancing, with a sci-fi theme (emphasis on Star Wars). Believe it or not, such a thing really exists! :lol:

OMG, that is not what I expected to see when I clicked that link. :lol: :lol:

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:28 pm

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:37 pm

Kougar wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

OMG, that is not what I expected to see when I clicked that link. :lol: :lol:

Aside from the Wookiee, most of it was not done in full costume like that. The Stormtrooper and Darth Vader dancers came out in appropriate headgear, but took the headgear off part way through their respective numbers. "Rey" took most of her costume off. :wink:

Electronic dance music with Darth Vader sound effects interspersed made me laugh too... :D