Personal computing discussed

Moderators: Captain Ned, emkubed

JustAnEngineer
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Re: DYMT: Imi's Legacy

Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:36 pm

You can keep the cold climate. The weather couldn't be nicer in south Florida this week. Yesterday, I was passed by a co-ed jogging in running shoes, a sports bra and Dolfin shorts.
i7-8700K, H100i v2, RoG Strix Z370-G Gaming, 16 GiB, RX Vega64, Define Mini-C, SSR-850PX, C32HG70, RK-9000BR, MX518

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:26 pm

JustAnEngineer wrote:
You can keep the cold climate. The weather couldn't be nicer in south Florida this week. Yesterday, I was passed by a co-ed jogging in running shoes, a sports bra and Dolfin shorts.

That Florida scenery sure is nice.
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

DancinJack
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:32 pm

I agree. You can keep the disgusting cold. It's dipping below 0 F here at night this week and I'm not a super happy camper.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:33 pm

Heiwashin wrote:
That Florida scenery sure is nice.

You just have to learn the nuances of cold-weather wear. Besides, it actually hit double digits above 0F today. Add the sun to that and I could finally kick the fenderbergs out of the wheel wells.
Humans sleep soundly in their beds because rough cats stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:35 pm

Ahh, but at least we don't have to worry about fire ants, killer bees, or scorpions... and while we do still have a mosquito problem in the summer months, it's not nearly as bad as in FL, and the mosquitoes we do have don't tend to carry as many nasty diseases.

Don't have to worry about gators eating our pets either, though we do seem to have a bit of a coyote problem currently, which can be an issue for people with smaller dogs. Our current dog (~45 lbs) could probably hold her ground against a coyote, so at least there's that.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:40 pm

Found a somewhat kludgy solution to the indoor wort chiller hookup problem. The faucet in the half bath has a weird-ass faucet aerator, so none of the threaded adapters at Ace, Lowes, or Home Depot will work. But Ace has one with a rubber coupler, which you slip over the existing faucet aerator and tighten down with a hose clamp. Kinda ghetto, but I'll take it!

(Heck, most of my home brewing gear is pretty ghetto, so I guess it fits right in.)

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:46 pm

just brew it! wrote:
(Heck, most of my home brewing gear is pretty ghetto, so I guess it fits right in.)

Next time you rebuild your kitchen sink stack, slap a hose bib into the cold water line.
Humans sleep soundly in their beds because rough cats stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:56 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

Next time you rebuild your kitchen sink stack, slap a hose bib into the cold water line.

If I do that before we sell the house (we may downsize if/when the kids move out) I'll definitely consider it.

It's really only an issue when we've got stupidly cold weather like we have right now. Normally I'm brewing out on the patio anyway, and (even if brewing in the kitchen for whatever reason) it normally isn't too cold to run a hose in through the patio door from the outside hose connection.

Edit: Temperature right now: 0 degrees F. Gonna stay this way for the next few days, apparently. Daytime temps generally in the positive single digits, nighttime temps in the negative single digits. I guess it could be worse, we could also be getting an assload of snow.

thecoldanddarkone
Gold subscriber
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:50 pm

-11f right now (it could be worse). At least the snow has slowed down. I'm glad I'm not in certain parts of this state.

(Montana)
I7 4930k, 32 GB Ballistix DDRL3@2133 , 1.2 TB Intel 750 AIC, 500 GB mx200, Sapphire R9 Fury, asus x79 ws, HP ZR24w, edifier s730
HP Pro x2 612- i5-4302Y, 8 gigs of memory, 256 ssd

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:18 pm

thecoldanddarkone wrote:
-11f right now (it could be worse).

Indeed. We don't get that cold here very often (some years we don't get there at all), but it looks like this winter is gonna be a cold one. -10F predicted for New Year's Eve, and -11F for this coming Thursday night.

(Northern Illinois)

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:48 pm

What are y'all planning to ring in the new year?

We're going to a party hosted by the guy who taught me how to judge beer. This party actually started out (many years ago) as a thing he did mostly with friends from work, but has morphed over the years into a beer geek event attended mostly by homebrewers and beer judges. Needless to say, there will be some good beer there... it's basically turned into an annual New Years Eve bottle share where people bring an appetizer to share and rare/unusual beers.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:38 pm

I'm truck stopping this one. One of the downsides of hauling oversized is even lower mobility than usual.
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:13 pm

My wife is on the bottom of hte retail management foodchain. She gets to close NYE (10pm) and open NYD (8am). That leaves me and my daughter to play Pokemon with all the cards she got for Christmas. I could do far worse. :D
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

DancinJack
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:17 pm

I care not at all for going out on NYE. I might hang with some friends, but it won't be anything more than a few of us sitting around shootin' the **** if that even happens. I'm not a huge holiday celebrator I suppose. My fam does Christmas pretty big, but other than that meh.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:40 pm

Made some absolutely divine Tom Yum soup to go with dins. Just what I needed on a cold night.

JustAnEngineer
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:34 pm

I'm doing the holiday family tech support thing. I'm retiring my Dad's rather old (Yorkfield) PC in favor of a newer (Ivy Bridge) system that I'm setting up for him. I was struck by the longevity of the old system.

9½ years on, the original Intel CPU, Gigabyte motherboard, Thermalright heatsink, Scythe fans, Mushkin memory, Western Digital hard-drives, Antec case, Creative sound card and Dell monitor are still providing daily service. The 15 year-old slot-load IDE Pioneer DVD drive is still working (with a SATA-to-IDE bridge). The Corsair PSU failed in short order, so this system is still using the even older SeaSonic power supply that I borrowed for initial assembly. The Radeon HD3870X2 was working when we gave it away two or three years ago. The system currently sports a Radeon HD7770. The Northgate Omnikey Ultra keyboard is 25 years old.

Do our technology gizmos usually last this long?
i7-8700K, H100i v2, RoG Strix Z370-G Gaming, 16 GiB, RX Vega64, Define Mini-C, SSR-850PX, C32HG70, RK-9000BR, MX518

Chuckaluphagus
Silver subscriber
Gerbil Elite

Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:00 am

JustAnEngineer wrote:
Do our technology gizmos usually last this long?

I have never had a DVD drive last me that long - the motors start to give out on me after about five years, two or three on a laptop drive. Loathe to try and add lubricant to a motor in a computer, for fear of what might happen if it sprays or leaks, so I just replace.

On that note, by now I have a small collection of motors, rails, and laser diodes that I should turn into something. A death ray. Or a low-power laser cutter/engraver. That sort of thing.

Also, happy New Year everyone!

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:07 am

Chuckaluphagus wrote:
Loathe to try and add lubricant to a motor in a computer, for fear of what might happen if it sprays or leaks, so I just replace.

Oil is non-conductive, so other than being a little messy (and possibly trapping dust), it should be "mostly harmless".

thecoldanddarkone
Gold subscriber

Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:29 am

just brew it! wrote:
thecoldanddarkone wrote:

Indeed. We don't get that cold here very often (some years we don't get there at all), but it looks like this winter is gonna be a cold one. -10F predicted for New Year's Eve, and -11F for this coming Thursday night.

(Northern Illinois)

At least it's not snowing -25.....
I7 4930k, 32 GB Ballistix DDRL3@2133 , 1.2 TB Intel 750 AIC, 500 GB mx200, Sapphire R9 Fury, asus x79 ws, HP ZR24w, edifier s730

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:36 pm

Still a nice 24 where I am in Texas now and I'm going to head a little further south today I think.
When drunk.....

monts
Gerbil Jedi
Location: Western Australia (Gods Own Country for those uncertain)

Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:04 pm

thecoldanddarkone wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
thecoldanddarkone wrote:

(Northern Illinois)

It’s kind of amusing reading the chatter about the cold as I’m currently sweltering through summer here. Currently in Queensland at Dad’s place and the wet season is trying to get going. The humidity is driving me insane. At least I only have to survive one more day and then I will be heading back home.
iMac 27” | MacBook Air.
Cricket and AFL (Fremantle Dockers) tragic.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:25 pm

Today I saw Christmas lights in a V shape.
It started at a houses roof, went down around a sign, and then went up and wrapped a power line. Darwin award incoming.
When drunk.....

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:34 pm

Swatting posts split and redirected to R&P here (as this is obvious R&P bait):

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=120468

If you're not in R&P and would like in to continue in the new thread, post here:

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=53033

thecoldanddarkone
Gold subscriber

Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:40 pm

thecoldanddarkone wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
thecoldanddarkone wrote:

(Northern Illinois)

Truck wouldn't start... Jiggle some wires pushed on the primer a few times. Bam. Based on the difference I'm going with loose battery connections/corroded. I did clean them up a year ago, maybe it's time to replace them.

In the mean time and in the dark made sure they were tightened and made sure the alternator wire wasn't corroded. Diesel truck.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:20 pm

So the Wheatwine brew day yesterday went so-so. The amount of grain pushed my system to its limits, and I came up a little short on the strength and volume as a result. At least I didn't have what's known as a "stuck sparge" (a problem which can occur with wheat beers due to the high levels of protein/gluten and lack of husk material); a stuck sparge can really ruin your brew day, by turning a ~5 hour process into an ~8 hour one.

Fermentation was a little slow to get rolling, but it seems to be going at a reasonable rate now. I will probably boil up a couple of pounds of dried malt extract in ~3 quarts of water tonight or tomorrow and "feed" the batch to bring the numbers back up to where I wanted them.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:56 pm

https://newatlas.com/hyundai-panoramic- ... bag/52788/

It’s called a seatbelt. What a waste of money, as is anything spent to specifacqlly provide for he safety of unbuckled occupants.

Redocbew
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:18 pm

It does seem like a strange idea especially considering that a rollover is less of an instantaneous impact, and the glass is likely to shatter and cut the airbag to ribbons anyway.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:18 pm

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
https://newatlas.com/hyundai-panoramic-sunroof-airbag/52788/

It’s called a seatbelt. What a waste of money, as is anything spent to specifacqlly provide for he safety of unbuckled occupants.

It's called FMVSS 208, which requires front-seat airbags to "save the life" of a 50th-percentile UNBUCKLED male crash dummy in a specified test crash. Have fun with the rest, it's 93 pages of Fed small-print.

The only airbags specifically required are the two front-seat airbags. However, side-impact and rollover protection standards have been written in a way to make it very difficult to comply without airbags. From what I could glean, there's no US DOT airbag standard that "ignores" unbelted occupants.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:38 pm

Usacomp2k3 wrote:

Seatbelt may not keep you from smacking your head on the roof/sunroof in the event of a rollover, especially if you're a taller person. In any case, it sounds like it is optional, so if you don't want it, don't pay for it?

Redocbew wrote:
It does seem like a strange idea especially considering that a rollover is less of an instantaneous impact, and the glass is likely to shatter and cut the airbag to ribbons anyway.

Isn't all side/rear/top automotive glass designed to shatter into small granules rather than shards?

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:40 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
Usacomp2k3 wrote:

It's called FMVSS 208, which requires front-seat airbags to "save the life" of a 50th-percentile UNBUCKLED male crash dummy in a specified test crash. Have fun with the rest, it's 93 pages of Fed small-print.

I had something typed up about that from memory, but after 5 minutes of googling and not being able to find any sources, I tailored back my comments to what I could substantiate.
I find that almost as abhorable as this moves that way ncourage manufacturers to make crutches standard which 1) increases costs, but also 2) makes people reliant on technology and less on driving with actually intelligence.
In my annectdotal experiences the stupid blind-spot avoidance lights cause people to not think there is value in turning their heads.
I would rather they not try and come up with ways to make driving safer that don’t actually address the issue that is causing accidents: distracted drivers.