Moderators: Captain Ned, emkubed

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Re: DYMT: Imi's Legacy

Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:41 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Usacomp2k3 wrote:
https://newatlas.com/hyundai-panoramic-sunroof-airbag/52788/

It’s called a seatbelt. What a waste of money, as is anything spent to specifacqlly provide for he safety of unbuckled occupants.

Seatbelt may not keep you from smacking your head on the roof/sunroof in the event of a rollover, especially if you're a taller person. In any case, it sounds like it is optional, so if you don't want it, don't pay for it?

They may say it is optional, but they make it impossible to get a 5-Star crash test rating unless you have all of these aids.

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:43 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Isn't all side/rear/top automotive glass designed to shatter into small granules rather than shards?

Yep, it's all tempered glass.
Humans sleep soundly in their beds because rough cats stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:52 pm

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
In my annectdotal experiences the stupid blind-spot avoidance lights cause people to not think there is value in turning their heads.
I would rather they not try and come up with ways to make driving safer that don’t actually address the issue that is causing accidents: distracted drivers.

You might convince me on the blind spot warning, but the roof airbag is not in the same category. If the roof airbag comes into play, something really bad and life-threatening is already happening; it's not a crutch.

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
They may say it is optional, but they make it impossible to get a 5-Star crash test rating unless you have all of these aids.

Getting a vehicle with a 5-star crash rating is still your choice, i.e. optional. I have no problem with it being offered as an option for people who are willing to pay.

Are you saying that people should NOT have the option of paying extra to have additional safety features?
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:53 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Usacomp2k3 wrote:
In my annectdotal experiences the stupid blind-spot avoidance lights cause people to not think there is value in turning their heads.
I would rather they not try and come up with ways to make driving safer that don’t actually address the issue that is causing accidents: distracted drivers.

You might convince me on the blind spot warning, but the roof airbag is not in the same category. If the roof airbag comes into play, something really bad and life-threatening is already happening; it's not a crutch.

Usacomp2k3 wrote:

Getting a vehicle with a 5-star crash rating is still your choice, i.e. optional.

You are correct on both counts, for now. As a counter I’ll leave this here for the 2nd one: https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/ca ... s/7114531/

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:09 pm

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
You are correct on both counts, for now. As a counter I’ll leave this here for the 2nd one: https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/ca ... s/7114531/

On the one hand, the tech to do that is stupidly cheap now; probably on par with the cost of a couple of tanks of gas. On the other hand, you can't force people to look at a backup camera display, so I'm not sure how many accidents it would actually prevent.

Do you agree or disagree with requiring seatbelts? Seatbelts protect the driver and occupants of their vehicle. A backup camera protects others from the driver's inattention (and probably costs less than seatbelts).

Both of our current vehicles are old enough that they don't have backup cameras as standard equipment. I wouldn't mind having them though.

Redocbew
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:10 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Isn't all side/rear/top automotive glass designed to shatter into small granules rather than shards?

Yeah, it's all laminated so that it breaks up that way. It's miles better than using plate glass, but to say that the edges of those granules aren't sharp is a step too far. I figure the material of the airbag has to have a pretty high shear strength in order to withstand the forces exerted on it during inflation, but without knowing more I'd still be worried about punctures.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

ludi
Darth Gerbil

Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:21 pm

It's getting hard to pilot a modern vehicle without any assistive tech. Crash ratings favor high beltlines and thicker pillars, while aerodynamics favor tall trunks. Vehicle designs up to the early 00s are greenhouses compared to anything since.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

JustAnEngineer
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:41 am

The gun-slit windows in many current car models are aesthetic style choices rather than engineering choices. You can still buy a Honda that gets excellent safety ratings AND lets you see out of the cockpit.
i7-8700K, H100i v2, RoG Strix Z370-G Gaming, 16 GiB, RX Vega64, Define Mini-C, SSR-850PX, C32HG70, RK-9000BR, MX518

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:45 am

JustAnEngineer wrote:
The gun-slit windows in many current car models are aesthetic style choices rather than engineering choices. You can still buy a Honda that gets excellent safety ratings AND lets you see out of the cockpit.

Several articles in Car & Driver have intimated that Jane Average Driver perceives a higher beltline as being "more safe".
Humans sleep soundly in their beds because rough cats stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

The Egg
Gold subscriber
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:34 pm

I hate high-beltline cars with a passion. Being a 6'4 driver, high beltlines mean that my line of sight can't be adjusted to where I can actually see properly, creating a hazardous situation (worse than any crash rating, IMO). I've actually had to back out on cars I really liked in the past, after taking a test-drive.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:56 pm

I found a Mexican place near the border selling soft shell tacos with diced hot dogs and some kind of seasoning in them. It seems silly but it's delicious.
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:50 pm

Two weeks off of work and I've spent far too much time staring into my monitor wondering "What was I doing two weeks ago?"

I could go for a chili dog soft-shelled taco.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:39 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:

Should we alert the local Taco Bells to politely send you on your way?

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:50 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
derFunkenstein wrote:

Should we alert the local Taco Bells to politely send you on your way?

Speaking of which taco Bell menu has gotten really weird lately. It's like they're throwing darts at a board to determine what they're gonna do next.
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:56 pm

Heiwashin wrote:
Speaking of which taco Bell menu has gotten really weird lately. It's like they're throwing darts at a board to determine what they're gonna do next.

Well, they could put meat in their "meat".

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:13 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
Heiwashin wrote:

Well, they could put meat in their "meat".

The breakfast menu items are generally OK, if sometimes a little weird (like the "limited time" breakfast taco that had a fried egg as the taco "shell"). Too bad the hash browns taste freezer burned.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:16 pm

They're getting ready for the franchise wars.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:19 pm

Heiwashin wrote:
I found a Mexican place near the border selling soft shell tacos with diced hot dogs and some kind of seasoning in them. It seems silly but it's delicious.

Teriyaki hotdogs are pretty tasty, if a little heavy on the sodium.

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:20 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:

Come, the Franchise Wars have.

Kougar
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:51 am

derFunkenstein wrote:

Hah, would explain why Taco Bell has suddenly been splitting off from all the comb-restaurants they had. Almost every combined Taco Bell/KFC place has been split again, with the Taco Bell portion moving out into a location across the street or a block away.

Redocbew
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:04 am

I must really be out of touch with the world of fast food. I had no idea they were ever combined. Probably for the best though, because a combined taco bell/KFC sounds kind of terrifying.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:57 am

Redocbew wrote:
I must really be out of touch with the world of fast food. I had no idea they were ever combined. Probably for the best though, because a combined taco bell/KFC sounds kind of terrifying.

The one near our house was a dumpster fire. We referred to it as "Clueless Ken-Taco". Really slow service, and got your order wrong 50% of the time. If you had stuff from both the Taco Bell side and the KFC side on the same order, the error rate was close to 100%.

There are/were also some Taco Bell / Pizza Hut mash-ups, and Taco Bell / Long John Silvers during the period of time where they owned LJS.

Redocbew
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:17 am

A Popeye's chicken place just went in near here recently. It's always busy which is usually a good sign, but so far just the smell of fried chicken that is now ever present across the whole block has been enough to deter me from checking it out.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:26 am

Redocbew wrote:
A Popeye's chicken place just went in near here recently. It's always busy which is usually a good sign, but so far just the smell of fried chicken that is now ever present across the whole block has been enough to deter me from checking it out.

IMO of the fast food fried chicken places, Popeyes is by far the best. Just had some for lunch yesterday, in fact. Their biscuits used to be fantastic too; but they seem to have changed the biscuit recipe some years back, and they're not anywhere near as good as I remember.

Redocbew
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:31 am

Yeah, that's what I've been hearing. Fried chicken has never really been a favorite of mine, so I guess that's part of it, or maybe it's just bad fried chicken that I don't like. I have had beer battered chicken strips before which were pretty good, just not from a major fast food place.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:53 am

Taco bell, kfc, and pizza hut are all under the same parent company, Yum! brands. If they're splitting off it's probably just because business has improved a bit.
Also yes, popeyes is amazing. Kfc is garbage. The only thing they have going is nashville hot seasoning but they usually don't do that very well.
When drunk.....

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:41 am

just brew it! wrote:

There are/were also some Taco Bell / Pizza Hut mash-ups, and Taco Bell / Long John Silvers during the period of time where they owned LJS.

We had a Long John's/A&W that provided service on par with your Taco Bell/KFC but that's the only combined restaurant I remember seeing around here. It's been split up for a while now and the A&W is gone entirely now. Nobody that I know goes to long John's. That place is gross

JustAnEngineer
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:44 am

Popeye's chicken is far better than KFC, but if you're opposed to fried chicken, you could also try their fried shrimp. On the biscuit front, the problem may be the spread rather than the biscuit. McDonald's saw a significant improvement in their biscuit sales as a direct result of switching to real butter a few years back.
i7-8700K, H100i v2, RoG Strix Z370-G Gaming, 16 GiB, RX Vega64, Define Mini-C, SSR-850PX, C32HG70, RK-9000BR, MX518

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:16 am

One thing I've noticed about KFC is they have a habit of over preping chicken and shoving it into heating cabinets. It ends up tasting like old junk most of the time.
By contrast half the time I go to Popeyes I have to wait for fresh chicken which tastes amazing.

I've been noticing restraunts making an attempt to improve the consistency and quality of what's stole by improving the processes and reducing heat lamp time and so on.
When drunk.....

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:57 am

JustAnEngineer wrote:
Popeye's chicken is far better than KFC, but if you're opposed to fried chicken, you could also try their fried shrimp. On the biscuit front, the problem may be the spread rather than the biscuit. McDonald's saw a significant improvement in their biscuit sales as a direct result of switching to real butter a few years back.

There's a Popeye's that's sorta-close (15 minute drive, depending on traffic) and both the chicken and the biscuits are top-notch. Thing is, to get there you have to drive past Chick-Fil-A, and I can't pass up their waffle fries, and the chicken is just as good IMO.

Heiwashin wrote:
One thing I've noticed about KFC is they have a habit of over preping chicken and shoving it into heating cabinets. It ends up tasting like old junk most of the time.
By contrast half the time I go to Popeyes I have to wait for fresh chicken which tastes amazing.

I've been noticing restraunts making an attempt to improve the consistency and quality of what's stole by improving the processes and reducing heat lamp time and so on.

My wife's sister-in-law is store manager at a local KFC and what you're talking about is apparently some sort of corporate policy. Fried chicken just takes too long to cook fresh, and if they run out it can take 20 minutes before they have it in stock again, and that's like half a lunch rush. As a result, they have to stockpile it. There's way too much money at stake to give you fresh food, weirdly enough.