Personal computing discussed

Moderators: Captain Ned, emkubed

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Re: DYMT: Imi's Legacy

Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:04 pm

I ordered a 500 dollar harness for my paramotor one size up so I can fly with winter gear. I picked it up at the terminal and when I opened the box it had a note that said they were out of stock in that size and they sent a size down instead. Who the **** does that? I've never really had a stupid experience buying anything but that tops it off. Now I'm gonna have to figure out how to get by a ups and send this useless thing back. Keep in mind ups generally isn't semi truck accessible. jerks.
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

Redocbew
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:27 pm

Yeah that's lame. Especially for specialty gear. I've worked for a specialty retail company in the past, and they would often short-ship if an item wasn't available, but they wouldn't make any substitutions at all without talking to the customer first. There's often a lot of research that goes into buying something like that, and to just change it is going to cause trouble.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:54 pm

That's super-lame, especially on a $500 item.

Speaking of Internet order foul-ups, I recently had an interesting Amazon/UPS glitch. Over a month ago I ordered an item (not a $500 one, a cheap set of adhesive silicone rubber nose pads for eyeglasses). Should've been here in just a couple of days (in stock, Prime shipping). They didn't show. Amazon acknowledged that the package was lost, so I clicked the "Refund" button (this was probably about 2 weeks after ordering), and got my refund.

A few days ago they showed.up. Envelope had a new (recent) shipping label slapped over the old one (which dated back to the time of the original order). No idea what happened there. Maybe UPS lost it, and found it a few weeks later? Or delivered it to the wrong address and someone turned it in at a UPS store? Whatever. I got a free $5 set of nose pads out of it.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

superjawes
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:51 am

At $5, it's probably more expensive for both UPS and Amazon to process a return, so they just "trashed" it by fulfilling the delivery.

Speaking of making things more expensive, that harness nonsense is going to cost the shipper, and if they are a small business, the hit to their reputation could cost them even more in lost sales. Seriously? Who thought it was a good idea to ship something different than what was ordered?
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. Tis a silly place.

derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:55 am

That smaller harness nonsense is definitely the kind of thing that should get a one-star seller review on Amazon once the refund completes. "We didn't have what you wanted but we're charging you the same price for something that almost assuredly won't work."

I ordered a chair from Amazon (a waiting-room style with a rail base) on 1/18 that never shipped. I got a tracking number but UPS only said they were waiting on the package. After about two weeks I could cancel it (processed on 2/3), and promptly got a refund. No chair, though, so I didn't hit the jackpot like jbi did. :lol:
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

Glorious
Gold subscriber
Gerbilus Supremus

Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:58 am

derfunk wrote:
I ordered a chair from Amazon (a waiting-room style with a rail base) that never shipped. I got a tracking number but UPS only said they were waiting on the package. After about two weeks I could cancel it, got a refund. No chair, though, so I didn't hit the jackpot like jbi did.

"You ordered a chair, oops, we didn't have any. Here's a stool."

"You are welcome!"

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:18 am

And on something like a Harness, that is literary a life or death safety feature. They would get sued into the ground if there was a fatality due to a decision to substitute parts. That's a big deal.

JustAnEngineer
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:21 am

I’ve had a couple of my Amazon reviews removed at the seller’s request because I was critical of the product or delivery. What you see in the on-line reviews that survive isn’t necessarily the whole story.
i7-8700K, H100i v2, RoG Strix Z370-G Gaming, 16 GiB, RX Vega64, Define Mini-C, SSR-850PX, C32HG70, RK-9000BR, MX518

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:49 am

Got in touch with them.
{
Hello,

The size L is an XL, they run very large. We do have a size XL that we can special order and will be happy to exchange if you like.
}

Except for the fact that I already HAVE an "xl", which is marked with a clear large L, and I know already that I need the the size up to wear winter gear comfortably with the harness on. Douche.

I'm not sure if that mail was intended to be some sort of justification using weird back end stuff that I'm not even privy to pre purchase. Anyway they're going to send the replacement to a ups near my terminal so I can do a dropnswap when I can manage to get by it. I did express my discontent in a polite manner.
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:44 pm

Well, this should be interesting. Seems that the NoLa hotel from whence I type this (conference for work) is ground zero/home base for the Krewe of Babylon. I gather they're the oldest group still parading and their annual ball is right here in the Mariott. Given the description of last year's ball in the local society pages, this is the old-money Mardi Gras party.

I just hope I can get out of the war zone tomorrow to catch my flight home.
Humans sleep soundly in their beds because rough cats stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:40 pm

Glorious wrote:
derfunk wrote:
I ordered a chair from Amazon (a waiting-room style with a rail base) that never shipped. I got a tracking number but UPS only said they were waiting on the package. After about two weeks I could cancel it, got a refund. No chair, though, so I didn't hit the jackpot like jbi did.

"You ordered a chair, oops, we didn't have any. Here's a stool."

"You are welcome!"

At least it would be free. :lol:
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:30 am

Building a house is nerve-raking..... 7 weeks until close date and I am questioning if they will finish in time. So many little things already wrong. BUT, they've passed their inspections thus far but will they pass mine and the wife's AND the VA inspection that will be done.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:50 am

Skeleton crew at the office today. Looks like the crappy weather prompted everyone to take the day off or work from home.

DancinJack
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:05 pm

tanker27 wrote:
Building a house is nerve-raking..... 7 weeks until close date and I am questioning if they will finish in time. So many little things already wrong. BUT, they've passed their inspections thus far but will they pass mine and the wife's AND the VA inspection that will be done.

It's worth it. Just take it all in stride. Just remember your kids get to grow up there and it'll make things a bit better (I am assuming your kids either aren't born or aren't old yes, but building a home later than that often isn't how it's done so DEAL WITH IT :) )
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:27 pm

A peeve of mine, when a restaurant is largely empty and a group of 7 fill half of the bar seats. Those seats are for loners like me, screw off! :lol: I look like an jerk if the place fills and I'm alone at a 4 person table.
When drunk.....

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:45 am

Got to see/hear an Edison Amberol 30 or 50 in action today. Had only seen a wax cylinder gramophone in pictures and museums before.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:03 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
That smaller harness nonsense is definitely the kind of thing that should get a one-star seller review on Amazon once the refund completes. "We didn't have what you wanted but we're charging you the same price for something that almost assuredly won't work."

I ordered a chair from Amazon (a waiting-room style with a rail base) on 1/18 that never shipped. I got a tracking number but UPS only said they were waiting on the package. After about two weeks I could cancel it (processed on 2/3), and promptly got a refund. No chair, though, so I didn't hit the jackpot like jbi did. :lol:

Update: I just got the chair. O_o

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:37 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
Update: I just got the chair. O_o

:lol:
When drunk.....

G8torbyte
Gold subscriber
Gerbil First Class

Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:37 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
Well, this should be interesting. Seems that the NoLa hotel from whence I type this (conference for work) is ground zero/home base for the Krewe of Babylon. I gather they're the oldest group still parading and their annual ball is right here in the Mariott. Given the description of last year's ball in the local society pages, this is the old-money Mardi Gras party.
I just hope I can get out of the war zone tomorrow to catch my flight home.

Yeah, when I was stationed at the Air Force base by Shreveport/Bossier City I was surprised how many major Mardi Gras parades were being held around that area which is opposite side of LA from "Nawlins". There are parades each day for a week or so leading up to Fat Tuesday. Some parades are more family friendly than others. I took the family to see the Krewe of Centaur parade one year but traffic prevented us from getting to the designated family area. We were stuck in the rowdy side where locals had been drinking since morning and driving ATVs all over the place. Nope, will not go there again ever.
Later, -G8tor
Building PCs and gaming since"Chuck Yeager's Air Combat" 1991
Current setups: X99 Command/Control Station and DIY mini-ITX NAS Build

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:34 am

I know I often rant about websites that take revenue focus to the point of an unusable website but here we go again.

I get a joke link and im still not sure what the joke was about. What this website had done was copied some guys Facebook post, cut the two paragraph post into 8 **** pieces, and spread it across 8 different click to pages while tossing in a few lines of mindless words to help keep your attention between the clicks.

I would post it but since I won't use the site on principle I can't judge whether it's a family friendly joke or not.
When drunk.....

derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:44 am

I started learning URLs to avoid. Someone will text me something from "hello giggles" or "diply" and I just discard it. Sites like that are unusable trash and don't deserve my ad revenue.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:07 pm

Bananas are a miracle food: they're the one thing our toddler will consistently eat. Bet the kid would trip a Geiger counter.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Chuckaluphagus
Silver subscriber
Gerbil Elite

Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:48 pm

ludi wrote:
Bananas are a miracle food: they're the one thing our toddler will consistently eat. Bet the kid would trip a Geiger counter.

When my kid was all of eight months old, and had four teeth to his name, he suddenly started fighting furiously against being fed. If it was a solid food, he was going to put it into his mouth himself. Since he was eight months old, he also couldn't handle a spoon worth a damn, and so he was disgustingly spattered and angry and hungry and we were considering leaving him outside to be raised by the raccoons.

Before we reached that point, I started looking for foods that were large and firm enough that he would be able to pick them up with his infant paws, but soft enough that he could thoroughly gum them and not choke to death. The solution: green beans.

My kid ate green beans, and no other solid food, for nearly a month until he got some more teeth in and was able to chew better. To this day, five years later, he will still scarf down an inordinate amount of green beans if you put a plate in front of him.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:07 am

When lift plus thrust is greater than load plus drag, anything can fly.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Flying_Nun

The Beverly Hillbillies tangent in the music thread got me thinking about other TV shows of my childhood that seem utterly ridiculous today.

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:22 am

just brew it! wrote:
When lift plus thrust is greater than load plus drag, anything can fly.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Flying_Nun

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McDonnell ... Phantom_II
Humans sleep soundly in their beds because rough cats stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:49 pm

I don't know how the Statue of Liberty does it. She's been at it for 132 years, but for me 90 minutes in the MRI tube with my arm in the same position was enough. Had to tap out before the last run due to the discomfort.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:54 pm

At least they didn't cart you in there with an oxygen tank like that Indian guy.
When drunk.....

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:15 pm

Heiwashin wrote:
At least they didn't cart you in there with an oxygen tank like that Indian guy.

I asked the techs how much it would cost to replenish the LHe2 if someone had to hit the Big Red Switch. They didn't want to answer.

Chuckaluphagus
Silver subscriber
Gerbil Elite

Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:23 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
Heiwashin wrote:

I asked the techs how much it would cost to replenish the LHe2 if someone had to hit the Big Red Switch. They didn't want to answer.

I have, through my work, an extensive knowledge of what happens when you quench an MRI. In the best-case scenario, you're out tens of thousands of dollars and a week+ in getting that MRI tanked up and running again. It's not uncommon for their to be physical damage to the machine that will ratchet that cost up into the hundreds of thousands, and add far more time. And in the worst-case scenario -- there's something blocking the quench pipe -- you have the potential for liters of supercold helium gas to escape into an occupied area, the air will freeze and fall like snow, and everyone dies of asphyxiation.

That worst case has, to my knowledge, never happened. But believe me, the technical documents go into a surprisingly gruesome amount of detail on what it would be like if it did.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:40 pm

Chuckaluphagus wrote:
I have, through my work, an extensive knowledge of what happens when you quench an MRI. In the best-case scenario, you're out tens of thousands of dollars and a week+ in getting that MRI tanked up and running again. It's not uncommon for their to be physical damage to the machine that will ratchet that cost up into the hundreds of thousands, and add far more time. And in the worst-case scenario -- there's something blocking the quench pipe -- you have the potential for liters of supercold helium gas to escape into an occupied area, the air will freeze and fall like snow, and everyone dies of asphyxiation.

That worst case has, to my knowledge, never happened. But believe me, the technical documents go into a surprisingly gruesome amount of detail on what it would be like if it did.

The Tevatron quenched a couple of times back while I was working at Fermilab. Just imagine what a 4 mile (circumference) ring of superconducting magnets sounds like when that happens! :o

The first time, the office I was in had a window facing the main accelerator ring, about 400 feet from the nearest vent and 6 stories up. For a brief instant it sounded like a jet was trying to land on the ledge outside my office window.

At least they didn't need to worry about 'splody bits killing someone or asphyxiation hazards, since the accelerator itself was buried underground, and nobody was allowed in the access tunnels while the accelerator was operating (for obvious reasons).

I wonder what fraction of the world supply of helium was vented in each one of those quenches...