Personal computing discussed

Moderators: Captain Ned, emkubed

idchafee
Gold subscriber
His Holy Gerbilness

Re: DYMT: Imi's Legacy

Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:47 am

Anyone else have to google quinoa?
YOU CAN RUPTURE SOMEONE'S SPLEEN WITH A WATER BALLOON!!!!

derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:08 pm

It's not like it's bad, just not desirable for people sensitive to it. I don't like it plain, I know that. :lol:
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:50 pm

Costco sometimes has tubs of really good quinoa salad.

TBH it's not that weird or new, but I guess it was mostly limited to being used as a granola ingredient going back as far as I can remember. These days it's "trendy", like kale was a few years ago; so it is showing up in more places.

It's apparently related to amaranth and spinach. The seed coat contains compounds which can cause mild intestinal distress in some people, and there are selective breeding programs to reduce the amount of these compounds present.

Interestingly enough, while I don't have an issue with quinoa, eating more than a small handful of raw spinach is guaranteed to cause explosive digestive upset within a couple of hours. Cooked spinach seems to be fine though...
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:00 pm

It's too nuty tasting to me. I prefer rice
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:23 pm

Heiwashin wrote:

White rice is a blank slate. Brown rice is pretty nutty. I like brown rice, but it takes a long time to cook, and even uncooked it goes "off" in storage due to the inherent oil content (goes rancid).

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:40 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Heiwashin wrote:

White rice is a blank slate. Brown rice is pretty nutty. I like brown rice, but it takes a long time to cook, and even uncooked it goes "off" in storage due to the inherent oil content (goes rancid).

Ironically most of my calories these days come from nuts :lol: nuts keep very well in the truck and they add a nice(to me) texture to most anything. I keep gigantic bags of white rice as well. Every so often a trucker gets stranded in the middle of nowhere for a few days, just being prudent.
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:01 pm

Heiwashin wrote:
I keep gigantic bags of white rice as well. Every so often a trucker gets stranded in the middle of nowhere for a few days, just being prudent.

You have a way to cook rice in your truck?

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:07 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Heiwashin wrote:
I keep gigantic bags of white rice as well. Every so often a trucker gets stranded in the middle of nowhere for a few days, just being prudent.

I have a pressure cooker and a George Foreman grill for cooking. Both of them require me to high idle and turn off anything else using power but it's possible :lol:
When drunk.....

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:11 pm

Heiwashin wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
Heiwashin wrote:

I have a pressure cooker and s George Foreman grill for cooking. Both of them require me to high idle and turn off anything else using power but it's possible :lol:

Heh... yeah, that works! How common is stuff like that? Do most truckers cook on the road, or do most just eat a lot of truck stop food?

I think you need an electric wok so you can do some stir-fry! :lol:

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:17 pm

Quinoa is wayy better for you than rice. I don't love it plain either, though, so it's definitely gotta be dressed up with some other stuff. Then again, I wouldn't generally eat rice plain either so I generally feel pretty OK replacing rice with quinoa.

Lots of different quinoa salads that are pretty good.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

The Egg
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:21 pm

I actually like quinoa, it just doesn't play nice.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:22 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Heh... yeah, that works! How common is stuff like that? Do most truckers cook on the road, or do most just eat a lot of truck stop food?

I think you need an electric wok so you can do some stir-fry! :lol:
The majority either have nothing or a microwave. I've met a few that don't keep food in the truck at all and get mad when they get stuck somewhere without food :-?

When I park at Walmart on the weekend I'll buy all fresh ingredients to make some Cajun jambalaya, red beans and rice, or some kind of other thick sauce pasta, and bag portions for the week. The grill is for same day steak or chicken usually.

And the reason I got a pressure cooker is that they fill a lot of roles. It has a lid off cooking mode so I can cook eggs or stir fry or anything else. Sometimes I rend my steak fat in there cus it's hotter than the grill.
When drunk.....

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:36 pm

Sounds like you've got it under control! Fresh cooked meals on the road...

Redocbew
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:26 pm

I never thought jambalaya would be an on-the-go kind of dish, but it makes perfect sense when you think about it. Good jambalaya can be pretty damned awesome.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:35 pm

Redocbew wrote:
I never thought jambalaya would be an on-the-go kind of dish, but it makes perfect sense when you think about it. Good jambalaya can be pretty damned awesome.

Gotta stick to my southern roots :lol:

Also, jambalaya tastes better after a day in the fridge to let the fresh thyme and basil finish soaking in.
When drunk.....

derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:36 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Sounds like you've got it under control! Fresh cooked meals on the road...

On top of being healthier, it's probably a money saver, too.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

Redocbew
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:40 pm

2GB and counting, for six videos. I see some re-encoding in my future. :roll:
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:48 pm

Made a couple of minor Wikipedia edits tonight. I registered an account years ago, not too long after the site came into existence; but I've only edited sporadically (mostly music-related stuff, or random silly typos that annoyed me). There have been multiple years-long spans where I haven't edited anything.

Chuckaluphagus
Silver subscriber
Gerbil Elite

Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:11 pm

<professional rant>

I'm a professional translator, have been for over 15 years now. I've seen a lot of technology companies try to perfect machine translation (i.e. "automatic translation," "computer translation" etc.) during the entire course of my career. Google wants to do it for "free", and has tied it into their visual processing AI so that you can point your phone camera at a menu and magic happens. A horde of specialized service providers want to do it for very large amounts of money, backed by enormous databases for their specific field of medical transcription, legal documents, patents etc. And the accuracy of machine translation has absolutely been getting better -- more slowly than I think a lot of folks outside the industry were expecting, but there's no denying that machine translation will one day lead to my early retirement.

But that day is not today, nor any time soon, really. And the first and most significant reason is that machine translation fails badly. I mean, when it translates accurately, it's fine, and these days you wouldn't be able to tell whether sentence A was translated by an algorithm or a professional typing away. But sentence B? Well, where I'll hit some dictionaries, search literature, and give you intelligible and accurate English, the algorithm will read like Yoda dropped acid and then rearranged words by whacking Ctrl-X and Ctrl-V with that cane of his. That isn't just Google Translate, that's very expensive services that are marketing themselves as just as good as hiring a human. Don't believe it: their trick is, there's still a human (sometimes me, these days) getting paid full rates to revise and edit the machine translation. Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

For those of you who are more on the software engineering side of things, why do all machine translation services have a failure state that reads like their backend hardware is an old Reverse-Polish Notation calculator that's been whacked with a hammer?

<end rant>

Redocbew
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:25 pm

String concatenation is one area where trying to translate an application can fall apart, and this holds true even for the "manually translate all the strings you find in this file" kind of setup. Translating "click here to download your activation key" is fairly straightforward, but translating "click here to download the activation key for $game_title" either leads to an explosion of translatable strings, or just doesn't work at all. I've run into that myself a few times when working on projects where making a "global site" is a priority.

derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:50 pm

One of my instructors at school is convinced that AI is going to take over basically every field imaginable, and sooner rather than later. And this is a very specific example of something that the machines haven't quite conquered. Chat bots are also (I think) a long ways off from taking over customer service, though they may suffice for very simple inquiries. There are plenty of other examples of stuff that just can't be replicated by machines yet and it feels like we're still a long ways off. Which I'm glad about, because I'd hate to be replaced by a machine that can code more quickly, more efficiently and more on-spec than me. I just got this job and I've got a lot of years working yet ahead of me. :lol:

Krogoth
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Elder

Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:00 pm

AI isn't going to be taking over anything meaningful for a while yet. People grossly underestimate the hardware and software hurdles that AI have yet to overcome. I can tell you for certain that digital computing will not bring forth semi to fully sapient AI.
Gigabyte Z390 AORUS-PRO Coffee Lake R 9700K, 2x8GiB of G.Skill DDR4-3600, Sapphire RX Vega 64, Corsair CX-750M V2 and Fractal Define R4 (W)
Ivy Bridge 3570K, 2x4GiB of G.Skill RIPSAW DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, Corsair CX-750M V2, and PC-7B

Redocbew
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:24 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if we already have all the processing capability we need to create strong AI. We just don't know how to put the parts together to make it all work, yet.

derFunkenstein wrote:
I just got this job and I've got a lot of years working yet ahead of me. :lol:

Fortunately for us there's that thing called the halting problem. We have proof we're not obsolete. :lol:

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:45 pm

Also just for the record, I'm pretty sure we're going to be more zerg like in the far future rather than protoss like. Organic devices are capable of taking care of themselves, and however long it may take, I suspect we'll be able to code organisms from scratch in the next thousand years or so. Why use a mechanical arm that will always require repair and maintenance when you can use well coded organisms able to take care of themselves.

Also by organisms I mean something as simple as an arm fed by simple tubes of nutrition and controlled by electrical impulses or some other low mechanical wear method.
When drunk.....

Redocbew
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:39 pm

if(!tokenVerified) {
    res.status(400);
    res.send('You shall not pass!');
  } else {
    next();
  }

Now I feel like a professional. :P

Chuckaluphagus
Silver subscriber
Gerbil Elite

Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:56 pm

Krogoth wrote:
AI isn't going to be taking over anything meaningful for a while yet. People grossly underestimate the hardware and software hurdles that AI have yet to overcome.

At least when it comes to accurate translation, I get asked often how long I think it will be before my job is replaced by software. My honest answer is "20 years to 50 years, probably around 30, and possibly not within my lifetime," and that always seems to surprise them. For reasons I don't fully understand (language degree here, with a lot of diversions into the hard sciences), translation doesn't seem to be nearly as amenable to AI as map routing or face recognition or what have you. The time frame could be shorter than 20 years, if there's some major breakthrough in technology that I can't anticipate, but I think I'll be ok for a few decades yet.

My profession will change -- is already changing -- to involve much more review of machine translation than even just five years ago. But would I suggest going with a machine translation for a document that you'll need to present to court, or for a patent dispute, without it first being thoroughly reviewed by a professional? Not if you want to succeed.

The Egg
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:55 am

Whenever I use an online translator (and mind you, it’s never for anything even remotely professional), I always take the result and translate it back to English, to see if it remains intelligible and still has the same general meaning I intended.

To give rough ballpark figures (for 1-2 sentences):
  • 50-60% of the time the result is poor to very poor, but I can infer the general idea of what was trying to be said. I would consider it unacceptable in most cases
  • 20-30% of the time I get something entirely different from what was intended (complete failure)
  • 10-20% of the time I get a proper translation which is mostly grammatically correct.

I agree that your job should be safe for the foreseeable future.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:35 am

Let's do a little experiment using Google Translate!

The Egg wrote:
Whenever I use an online translator (and mind you, it’s never for anything even remotely professional), I always take the result and translate it back to English, to see if it remains intelligible and still has the same general meaning I intended.

To give rough ballpark figures (for 1-2 sentences):
  • 50-60% of the time the result is poor to very poor, but I can infer the general idea of what was trying to be said. I would consider it unacceptable in most cases
  • 20-30% of the time I get something entirely different from what was intended (complete failure)
  • 10-20% of the time I get a proper translation which is mostly grammatically correct.

I agree that your job should be safe for the foreseeable future.

The Egg, to Japanese and back wrote:
Whenever I use online translators, I always accept the results, translate them into English, check if they are easy to understand, and have the same general meaning as I intended.

Rough baseball field (1-2 sentences):
  • Because the result is poor, it is 50-60% to very poor, but I can guess the general idea of ​​what I'm trying to say. I think it is unacceptable in most cases
  • 20 - 30% of the time to get something completely different from what I meant (complete failure)
  • In most cases it is 10 to 20% that grammatically correct translations are obtained.

I agree that your work must be safe in the near future.

The Egg, to Serbian and back wrote:
Whenever I use online translators (and if I consider you, it's never for anything or far professional), I always take the result and translate it into English, to see if it remains comprehensible and still has the same general meaning that I intended.

To give rough figures (for 1-2 sentences):
  • 50-60% of the time is a result of poor, but I can conclude a general idea of ​​what is trying to say. In most cases, I consider this to be unacceptable
  • 20-30% of the time I get something completely different from what was intended (complete failure)
  • 10-20% of the time I get the correct translation, which is generally grammatically correct.

I agree that your job should be safe in the foreseeable future.

The Egg, to Arabic and back wrote:
When I use an interpreter on the Internet (and I remember you never want anything remotely remotely), I always get the result and translate it into English, to see if it's still understood and still has the same general meaning I meant.

To give approximate ballpark numbers (for 1-2 sentences):
  • 50-60% of the time the result is poor for the poor, but I can conclude the general idea of ​​what he was trying to say. I will consider it unacceptable in most cases
  • 20-30% of the time I get something completely different than what was intended (full failure)
  • 10-20% of the time I get an appropriate translation which is mostly grammatically correct.

I agree that your job will be secure in the foreseeable future.

The Egg, to Hawaiian and back wrote:
When I use the translator on the web (please note that there is no business on the business), I always take the result and translate the English text, which may enable you to think and agree as I have thought.

For the giving of low cost caps (for words 1-2):
  • Of 50-60% of the time the poor has the poor, but I can confirm the great idea of ​​the person who is trying to speak. I will often think about how many issues are
  • 20-30% of the time I find a unique difference from what is expected (pulse)
  • 10-20% of the time I get a fairly straightforward translation is accurate.

I'm looking forward to managing your business for the future.

The Egg, around the world (all of the above languages in one big translation loop) wrote:
When I use translators online, I always publish results, translate English, and readily understand and feel as I do.

Baseball League (1-2 words):
  • Because of the negative impact, 50-60% is the worst, but I can choose the main idea of ​​my person trying to speak. I think this is not the case with most of the issues
  • 20 - 30% of time to get something unique from what I thought (full room)
  • In most cases, from 10 to 20%, accurate transitions have been obtained.

I hope your company will be secure in the future.

TBH I was expecting much worse, especially from the last one, where it was translated 5 times in total! I think the "around the world" one may even be more intelligible (barely) than the one that just went to Hawaii and back. :lol:

Redocbew
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Jedi

Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:55 am

You never want anything remotely remotely because there is no business on the business. Full room. :lol:

Yeah, I would have expected worse also. Still amusing though.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:59 am

I think the last one benefited a little from difficult to translate stuff simply getting discarded along the way, simplifying the task. In context, "baseball league" makes (marginally) more sense than "for the giving of low cost caps"; at least you've got maybe a 1 in 100 chance of guessing the original meaning.