Personal computing discussed

Moderators: Captain Ned, emkubed

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Re: DYMT: Imi's Legacy

Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:17 am

Google is definitely the best at recognizing language though. (note that I didn't just say Google Translate)

There are always going to be differences though. Language is innnnnnnncredibly nuanced. I do think AI is going to make some humans obsolete, at certain tasks, within 20 years but I doubt it's full on 100 percent accurate translation. Those are the tradeoffs though. If you want something quick and dirty, use the machine. It will grow over time. If you want something perfect, ask da human for now.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:13 am

Chuckaluphagus wrote:
Krogoth wrote:
AI isn't going to be taking over anything meaningful for a while yet. People grossly underestimate the hardware and software hurdles that AI have yet to overcome.

At least when it comes to accurate translation, I get asked often how long I think it will be before my job is replaced by software. My honest answer is "20 years to 50 years, probably around 30, and possibly not within my lifetime," and that always seems to surprise them. For reasons I don't fully understand (language degree here, with a lot of diversions into the hard sciences), translation doesn't seem to be nearly as amenable to AI as map routing or face recognition or what have you. The time frame could be shorter than 20 years, if there's some major breakthrough in technology that I can't anticipate, but I think I'll be ok for a few decades yet.

My profession will change -- is already changing -- to involve much more review of machine translation than even just five years ago. But would I suggest going with a machine translation for a document that you'll need to present to court, or for a patent dispute, without it first being thoroughly reviewed by a professional? Not if you want to succeed.

There's a good reason for that! Because languages aren't completely logical! There's a lot of contexting and reasoning involved in understanding what people are saying. This is something I observe frequently when someone on the cb tries to communicate something that isn't normally talked about. Until the topic is understood, there are frequently questions about what's being talked about. Once the topic is understood, two people can fill in the gaps on every other word almost. It'd be very easy for a machine to get lost in the sheer scale of the calculations of that same situation.

Visual processing and audio processing are the thing our gigantic brain puts enormous specialized passive effort into, and it takes a lot of Very good shortcuts at that. Programs in general don't seem very good at taking shortcuts.

Also, consider the difficulty in translating from one language to another for people. Two native speakers can come up with two different equally valid interpretations. The fundamentally illogical nature of language makes this possible.
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

AMD64Blondie
Gerbil First Class

Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:53 pm

Dealing with my sinuses leaking.

This sucks.This is no fun at all.

The Egg
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:02 am

just brew it! wrote:
Let's do a little experiment using Google Translate!

That's actually quite an improvement as of recent. Most of the time I remember seeing results like the Hawaiian. I would've expected much worse with Japanese, considering how far apart they are linguistically.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:43 am

AMD64Blondie wrote:
Dealing with my sinuses leaking.

This sucks.This is no fun at all.

I just went through that. Lasted about a month. Yes, it sucks.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

trackerben

Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:34 pm

Krogoth wrote:
I can tell you for certain that digital computing will not bring forth semi to fully sapient AI.

How about cyborgs, where future machine intelligences might be linked to brains via individual symbiotic AI? Would you consider such a hybrid an AI on its own, or just another flavor of enhanced human?

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:06 pm

Found in a box of old power supplies yesterday.

Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:11 pm

Damn, running the world on 20 watts. That's some efficiency right there.
Humans sleep soundly in their beds because rough cats stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:35 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
Damn, running the world on 20 watts. That's some efficiency right there.

I'm showing it takes ~60W to generate 20W, so not efficient at all!

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:59 pm

In other news, the pod bay doors will forever remain closed.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-46178930
Humans sleep soundly in their beds because rough cats stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

Krogoth
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Elder

Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:46 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
In other news, the pod bay doors will forever remain closed.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-46178930

In somewhat related news, it looks like a legend has fallen. :(

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/stan-lee-d ... 018-11-12/
Gigabyte Z390 AORUS-PRO Coffee Lake R 9700K, 2x8GiB of G.Skill DDR4-3600, Sapphire RX Vega 64, Corsair CX-750M V2 and Fractal Define R4 (W)
Ivy Bridge 3570K, 2x4GiB of G.Skill RIPSAW DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, Corsair CX-750M V2, and PC-7B

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:09 pm

Yeahhhhhhhhhhh the Stan Lee passing is a real gut punch. I imagine he had a pretty big impact on a lot of people in these forums.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

The Egg

Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:36 pm

I can't feel too bad for the guy. 95 years writing comic books is a long, cushy life.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:07 pm

The Egg wrote:
I can't feel too bad for the guy. 95 years writing comic books is a long, cushy life.

From some things I've read, his latter years were marred by elder abuse and money-grubbing heirs.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

The Egg

Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:36 am

All told, I spent over 2hrs tonight, ripping through the closet and all my PC stuff because I couldn’t find the two little M.2 screws which came with my motherboard. I became a bit of a man possessed, because I simply don’t toss/lose stuff like that on new builds. I had almost convinced myself that Asus hid them inside the same bag as the I/O shield (which I did discard), before finally remembering that I might have kept the HSF box, and inadvertently tossed them inside. There they were; hidden among the unneeded AMD mounting hardware.

A quick google search shows that accidentally losing/tossing these things is already a huge source of frustration for many people. Why wouldn’t board makers just screw them into the onboard posts, rather than include a separate teensy little bag?? I guess on the bright side, I got some much needed cleaning/reorganizing done.

Redocbew
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:42 am

Yeah I've nearly done that also. In fact I did lose one at some point between putting the old NUC into storage and bringing it back out again. Fortunately the mounting screw for the wireless card(since unused) was still screwed into place, so I just yanked the wireless card and used its mounting screw for the SSD. It's nearly as bad as putting the whole machine together and then realizing you haven't done the front panel wiring which is now obstructed by the corner of a drive cage and eight different cables.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:10 am

Yeah, after losing (and buying replacements for) countess small parts and accessories over the years, I finally went and bought piles of assorted storage containers, similar to these:

https://www.amazon.com/Sterilite-207580 ... B001OM2NGW
and
https://www.amazon.com/Plastic-Organize ... B07C718QMV
and
https://www.amazon.com/Sterilite-164280 ... B002BDTETW

Getting the mess all sorted is still an ongoing battle.

Redocbew
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:03 am

If your app races through steps 1, 2, and 3, just to hang its self at step 4 which happens to be "optimizing for performance", then you may still have some work to do.

Just saying...
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:41 am

In this month of Thanksgiving, today I am thankful for the mute button on conference calls. When somebody says "When we do do it" I can freely giggle like a 5 year old about doodoo.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:29 pm

I am also thankful that Slack lets you mute individual channels so you don't get a continuous stream of notifications when a discussion goes into the weeds.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:49 pm

I'm getting a folding bike for the truck. Right now my walking range is about 2 miles one way to get places on the weekend. Any further and I get too bored and if it's hot too sweaty. :lol:

I'm hoping a bike will increase my travel range drastically but I won't really know until I try it out a few weekends.
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:11 pm

Heiwashin wrote:
I'm getting a folding bike for the truck. Right now my walking range is about 2 miles one way to get places on the weekend. Any further and I get too bored and if it's hot too sweaty. :lol:

I'm hoping a bike will increase my travel range drastically but I won't really know until I try it out a few weekends.

I walk A LOT (living in big cities will do that to you), but when I got a "real" bike I found I could ride for miles and miles without issue. Having legit gears and good tires (in my case I got a road/cyclocross bike so it's much, much easier to ride on pavement than say a mountain bike) make a huge difference. Also quite a bit better on my awful knees.

I hope you'll like it.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:35 pm

Well i got a mountain bike because i don't think i'll always have good pavement available, and i've had a decent amount of missed chances to ride some dirt trails so i might take advantage of that too.

I've always used mountain bikes though so i don't know what luxury i'll be missing out on when it comes to a proper road bike :lol:

This is the one i picked

http://www.foldingbikeguy.com/montague- ... ke-review/

I'll pick it up next week when i go home for thanksgiving.
When drunk.....

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:44 pm

Heiwashin wrote:
Well i got a mountain bike because i don't think i'll always have good pavement available, and i've had a decent amount of missed chances to ride some dirt trails so i might take advantage of that too.

Yeah, that's why I got a (technically) cyclocross bike. A tiny bit wider tires than legit road bikes so I can ride dirt trails, but nothing too crazy.

I don't know a ton about folding bikes, but I know a fair bit about bike components. Looks to be decent stuff on that kit. Some nice hydraulic disc brakes. A necessity for riding trails IMO.

The biggest thing that I noticed about my Canondale is how freakin' light it is. Mountain bikes WEIGH SO MUCH. This is essentially what I have. A different year model, but the components are almost exactly the same. Biking is great. Hope you get into it.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:02 pm

Random observation: The Audacious music player (for Linux) uses a lot of CPU time if you force it to do sample rate conversion. Tried routing it directly into the JACK audio stack (48kHz sample rate) instead of through Pulseaudio (44.1kHz), and it chews up about 25% of a core (on an FX-8350) when playing CD rips. Playing sources which are native 48kHz sample rate results in CPU usage dropping so low it is lost in the noise.

I don't really care (25% of a core on an octo-core CPU isn't that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things), but it still seems a little ridiculous...

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:53 am

Apparently RadioShack is becoming the Rasputin of old-economy parts suppliers. I was reviewing a webpage for link rot and lo, RadioShack.com pops up with a seemingly functional website. Skeptical, I clicked on "find a location" and disovered three map pins in the Denver Metro, all listed as "Hobbytown/RadioShack Express."

That led to a Google search which turned up this announcement from July. Interesting.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:00 am

There’s one 15 minutes north of me. I should check it out.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:02 am

Interesting. My closest one is apparently an Ace Hardware that is listed as an "Authorized Radio Shack Dealer".

"I'm not dead yet!"

I still have (and use) my old Radio Shack soldering irons, and other random tools and test equipment.

The Egg

Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:36 pm

I guess as long as people remember the name, whoever owns the rights can keep trying to extract some value out of it. Gotta wonder how many times Sears will be zombi’fied after they finally go.

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:42 pm

The Egg wrote:
I guess as long as people remember the name, whoever owns the rights can keep trying to extract some value out of it. Gotta wonder how many times Sears will be zombi’fied after they finally go.

Hey, in a day where Swiss Colony (yes, that purveyor of gross catalog cheese and "meat" products) owns the Montgomery Ward trademark and still sells it online ...