Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Re: DYMT: Imi's Legacy

Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:07 pm

I know i should be past these sorts of ideas but, remember the days when you pressed the power button on your computer then went to take care of things while it started. Somewhere along the lines SSD's and a few windows improvements made the startup times so short that i press the button, then sit down, and it's ready.
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

JustAnEngineer
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:51 pm

Do yo even turn your PC off? Mine usually goes into hibernation if I’m not using it.
i7-9700K, NH-D15, Z390M Pro4, 32 GiB, RX Vega64, Define Mini-C, SSR-850PX, C32HG70+U2407, RK-9000BR, MX518

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:55 pm

JustAnEngineer wrote:
Do yo even turn your PC off? Mine usually goes into hibernation if I’m not using it.

The only time I turn my computer off is when updates require me to.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:25 pm

I don't like leaving my power cord plugged into the laptop while i'm driving. Most devices don't handle continuous impacts and vibrations on ports very well so the truck is pretty quick to break most things. I've learned good practices to protect my electronics.

Also related, i try to protect the truck from the same damage. I'm using a peltier cooler for my food, it works well enough and for a while i had it sitting on the passenger seat. I noticed that there was a ton of plastic dust against the door where it was touching and i was worried that it was eating away at the door. I had it backwards, there was nearly a hole in the side of the cooler. I also have to buy high strength jugs of water :lol: The standard milk jug style will get eaten through and i'll lose an average of one a week. The trucking life is extremely hard on anything really, endless vibrations will always win.
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

MileageMayVary
Gerbil XP

Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:16 am

A shout out to Logitech.

The delete key on my G710's number pad stopped working. I tried reloading the software, tried it on a different machine. Nada. First time in my life I've seen just a single key die (it couldn't have been the scroll lock or insert keys?!). I don't use Excel much at home but when I do, that lack of "." is really annoying. So I contacted Logitech support thru their website and then back and forth in a series of emails. I had bought the G710 back in March, don't know what the warranty is but I don't expect much after 90 days.

Surprisingly enough they sent me brand new G910 (they don't make the G710 any more and the 910 was closest to the 710 in features) and didn't ask for the old one back.

The G910 is working fine (only thing I dislike is that the palm rest is non-removable). I'm happy that they were willing to send out a new $180 keyboard as a replacement half a year after purchase of one that had a minor but annoying break.
Main rig: Ryzen 3600X, R9 290@1100MHz, 16GB@2933MHz, 1080-1440-1080 Ultrasharps.

Chuckaluphagus
Gerbil Elite

Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:54 am

MileageMayVary wrote:
A shout out to Logitech.

The delete key on my G710's number pad stopped working. I tried reloading the software, tried it on a different machine. Nada. First time in my life I've seen just a single key die (it couldn't have been the scroll lock or insert keys?!). I don't use Excel much at home but when I do, that lack of "." is really annoying. So I contacted Logitech support thru their website and then back and forth in a series of emails. I had bought the G710 back in March, don't know what the warranty is but I don't expect much after 90 days.

Surprisingly enough they sent me brand new G910 (they don't make the G710 any more and the 910 was closest to the 710 in features) and didn't ask for the old one back.

The G910 is working fine (only thing I dislike is that the palm rest is non-removable). I'm happy that they were willing to send out a new $180 keyboard as a replacement half a year after purchase of one that had a minor but annoying break.

I had a similar experience with a Logitech mouse that I'd already owned for three years. I wasn't expecting or asking for a replacement, since it was out of warranty - I just contacted Logitech support to ask about the availability of spare parts to try and do a fix myself. Instead, they sent me a Performance MX (top of the line at the time). Logitech support is awesome.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:59 pm

Tonight I presented my final project in my final class. Unofficial, for the moment, but I am finally a “collage grajiet”.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:28 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
Tonight I presented my final project in my final class. Unofficial, for the moment, but I am finally a “collage grajiet”.

Congrats!

Today I spent all day answering questions (some reasonable, some dumb) from colleagues on Slack, and going through system logs to triage Jira tickets that got lobbed over the fence into my lap. I did not write a single line of code. I did not even get around to writing the design documentation for the feature I'm supposed to be implementing next.

Sadly, days like this are not uncommon.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:35 pm

I’ve been doing similar. We integrated the online payment system with a payment processor that’s super new and the platform is still very immature, and it’s been nothing but headaches. And since I designed the integration and implemented it on mobile, every single screw-up where a payment was allocated but the processor never sent the finalize message comes to me (via Jira) to diagnose. We’ve been through it with them and they say yes, they’re working on it, but that isn’t stopping people from complaining to us.

It’s a new product from a long-time partner and I found out after our initial dev project wrapped up that, oh yeah, we’re their first of their partners to sign on. Our mutual customers demanded it so we did it, and a bunch signed on, but now they’re either supremely unhappy or they’re going back to one of the other payment processors we’ve been integrating with for years because it works. It’s getting better but I’m getting basically nothing else done.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:02 am

just brew it! wrote:
Congrats!

Today I spent all day answering questions (some reasonable, some dumb) from colleagues on Slack, and going through system logs to triage Jira tickets that got lobbed over the fence into my lap. I did not write a single line of code. I did not even get around to writing the design documentation for the feature I'm supposed to be implementing next.

Sadly, days like this are not uncommon.

This is what you're in for Ben, congrats!
Last edited by DancinJack on Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:05 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
I’ve been doing similar. We integrated the online payment system with a payment processor that’s super new and the platform is still very immature, and it’s been nothing but headaches. And since I designed the integration and implemented it on mobile, every single screw-up where a payment was allocated but the processor never sent the finalize message comes to me (via Jira) to diagnose. We’ve been through it with them and they say yes, they’re working on it, but that isn’t stopping people from complaining to us.

It’s a new product from a long-time partner and I found out after our initial dev project wrapped up that, oh yeah, we’re their first of their partners to sign on. Our mutual customers demanded it so we did it, and a bunch signed on, but now they’re either supremely unhappy or they’re going back to one of the other payment processors we’ve been integrating with for years because it works. It’s getting better but I’m getting basically nothing else done.

Hooooooooooooo boy I was the Product Manager for building a brand new tokenized payment system within my last company (from more or less scratch). It was pretty intense. I know how you feel. Dealing with the different payment gateways, processors, banks, and whatnot is a sincere pain at times. The easier part is actually all the cURLs you have to sift through from your own code.

FWIW it ended up being one of the most fulfilling projects I worked on there once it was all said and done. It's quite an accomplishment IMO.

farmpuma
Gold subscriber
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Location: Soybean field, IN, USA, Earth .. just a bit south of John .. err .... Fart Wayne, Indiana

Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:30 am

derFunkenstein wrote:

Moar Congrats!

A degree Always looks good on the resume.
[img]http://[/img] Image
.* * M-51 * *. .The Whirlpool Galaxy. .TV muted, X dual flying birds & a mantra, "Specter be Gone"

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:52 am

farmpuma wrote:
A degree Always looks good on the resume.

Yup. Many employers will tie your salary to what kind of degree you have to some extent, and some make it very difficult for anyone without a degree to get hired in the first place.

One of the developers I work with showed up to one of our job fairs and impressed the people he talked to so much that we immediately decided to bring him back for formal interviews (which he also aced). The problem? No degree. A pitched battle with middle management and HR ensued, because they wanted to reject him out of hand even though he was a near-perfect fit. While we eventually won the argument, this sort of mentality means that candidates without a degree rarely even get considered unless they look like superstars based on their work experience.

All else being equal, I'd take relevant work experience over a degree when interviewing someone for a developer position, but that's now how the system works out in the corporate world...
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:36 am

DancinJack wrote:
Hooooooooooooo boy I was the Product Manager for building a brand new tokenized payment system within my last company (from more or less scratch). It was pretty intense. I know how you feel. Dealing with the different payment gateways, processors, banks, and whatnot is a sincere pain at times. The easier part is actually all the cURLs you have to sift through from your own code.

FWIW it ended up being one of the most fulfilling projects I worked on there once it was all said and done. It's quite an accomplishment IMO.

Payment processing is a VERY lucrative business, if you can get people to your platform. Even for us, just integrating with a platform is nice because processors will give you a cut. PayPal has their partner program, for instance, and while I don't know the specifics, I'm very confident that this integration has paid for itself many times over.

just brew it! wrote:
One of the developers I work with showed up to one of our job fairs and impressed the people he talked to so much that we immediately decided to bring him back for formal interviews (which he also aced). The problem? No degree. A pitched battle with middle management and HR ensued, because they wanted to reject him out of hand even though he was a near-perfect fit. While we eventually won the argument, this sort of mentality means that candidates without a degree rarely even get considered unless they look like superstars based on their work experience.

All else being equal, I'd take relevant work experience over a degree when interviewing someone for a developer position, but that's now how the system works out in the corporate world...

This is why I went back to school. I had wormed my way into a development role by proving over and over that I can learn stuff on my own, but I know my salary is capped without it. If only because without it I won't get an offer to go somewhere else, which I'm hoping would goad my current employer into giving me a raise. :lol:

That's not to say I'm actively looking for something else. I just feel like I need to know what the skills and experience I'm accruing is worth on the "open market". There are two Fortune 100 companies with tons of development jobs posted in easy commute distance, plus loads of smaller companies. Peoria may not be exciting, but there's a ton of work if you're qualified.

Glorious
Gold subscriber
Gerbilus Supremus

Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:16 am

JBI wrote:

"What did you do today?"

"What everyone else couldn't, but hopefully now can."

MileageMayVary
Gerbil XP

Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:05 am

I ended up on the hiring review committees several times at my last job coming up with questions for phone interviews, doing said interviews, and who we wanted to pass on to the hiring manager. All tech positions in the IT dept.

Several lovely debates about whether a degree in art history counts towards the "degree required" statute. Often it would say "degree in IT or similar field" which made that argument a little easier.
Main rig: Ryzen 3600X, R9 290@1100MHz, 16GB@2933MHz, 1080-1440-1080 Ultrasharps.

TurtlePerson2
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:53 am

Chuckaluphagus wrote:
MileageMayVary wrote:
A shout out to Logitech.

I had a similar experience with a Logitech mouse that I'd already owned for three years. I wasn't expecting or asking for a replacement, since it was out of warranty - I just contacted Logitech support to ask about the availability of spare parts to try and do a fix myself. Instead, they sent me a Performance MX (top of the line at the time). Logitech support is awesome.

I wish I had read this a few months back. My Logitech mouse had the left click stop working reliably (even failing once every 1000 clicks is enough to make gaming frustrating). I figured that it was reasonable that it would fail after 5 years of 100 APM strategy and MOBA gaming and just bought a new one...
"TORTURIS EXUVIAS EUNT"
Phenom X6 1090T @ 3.2 GHz
XFX Radeon RX 580

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:49 am

General comment about how a bug fixed months ago is still being reported because people aren't taking automatic app updates on their iPhones.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:06 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
General comment about how a bug fixed months ago is still being reported because people aren't taking automatic app updates on their iPhones.

Get used to it if you're going to do app development full time. I've had to support APIs in Android all the way back to 2012 because stubborn ass people don't update their phones.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:24 am

Been doing it mostly-full-time for three years. I'm not going to get used to it. :lol:

The powers that be want me to investigate disabling login and redirecting to the device's app store for apps that aren't up to date. It'll take some time to for that to get pushed out on the client side, if today's complaint is any indication. This person was running a build that was released in March.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:27 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
The powers that be want me to investigate disabling login and redirecting to the device's app store for apps that aren't up to date.

Have fun with that one!

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:30 am

It's a "solved problem", so to speak. Mobile games do that all the time. Hearthstone requires a multi-GB download every time a new expansion comes out. Just gonna have to sort it out for ourselves.

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:31 am

DancinJack wrote:
I've had to support APIs in Android all the way back to 2012 because stubborn ass people don't update their phones.

More like "don't buy new phones".
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:44 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
It's a "solved problem", so to speak. Mobile games do that all the time. Hearthstone requires a multi-GB download every time a new expansion comes out. Just gonna have to sort it out for ourselves.

Sorry, should have been more clear. I didn't mean it would be hard technically, but rather that you're gonna get whiny users. That's always the way though. It's literally unavoidable.

Captain Ned wrote:
DancinJack wrote:
I've had to support APIs in Android all the way back to 2012 because stubborn ass people don't update their phones.

More like "don't buy new phones".

FWIW, in my head, they were lumped into one. I don't think those people understand the security implications (and if they do and still don't get a phone that receives updates that's worse) with not getting a new phone either, which is unfortunate IMO.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:55 am

Yes, definitely going to have whiny users. They already whine when stuff doesn't work so I don't think this will be much worse. I could be wrong.

Supporting modern Android APIs is getting easier, since Google Play Services keeps internet-y things updated, and the AppCompat support library can draw things on devices going way back. For us, Microsoft drew the line at KitKat (and iOS 8) because that's what Xamarin Forms requires. We only distribute in the US and Canada so it's not an issue, and even globally that accounts for like 97% of all active devices.

The Egg
Gold subscriber
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:23 am

derFunkenstein wrote:

On iOS, it's usually caused by some other related stupidity. For instance, I frequently see guys in the field have their Wi-Fi turned off (I believe the default is not to update over cellular). When I ask them why, I either get no meaningful explanation, or some crap about it "using battery". It happens so often, that I'm sure the idiot general public is doing the same thing.

On many of the same phones with Wi-fi turned off, I find multiple freemium games, against company policy. Yeah.....it's the Wi-Fi burning up the battery.

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:27 am

You can get some places where you end up with the WiFi ping-ponging like mad between 2 different APs and that can burn battery. However with the phone loaded with games, I agree that WiFi is unlikely to be the battery drain!

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:40 pm

I find myself in definite need of a thermostat for my 12v peltier cooler now that winter is here. Long story short, if my new medicine freezes, it's 250$ per week to replace it. The plan (excuse to tinker) is an Arduino nano, two waterproof thermometers, a 12v 30a relay, and an alarm.

Since it's peltier, the ambient temperature determines the internal temperature, about 40f below ambient. During the winter this can pose serious trouble where it can even be cold enough in the non heated portions of the cab to freeze things anyway.

I'm going to put a sensor inside the cooler at the coldest spot, and outside near the intake fan. Whenever it reaches freezing temps I'll have it record or display the ambient temperature so I can understand the relationship better and build in redundancy using the external temp.

The cooler is also reversible. Changing the direction of the power will switch it to heating mode. I'm not doing it now because Im not sure how to safely trigger opposing polarities yet, but for the time being I'll set an alarm which triggers well before the minimum safe temperature but below the cutoff for the cooler.
When drunk.....

Chuckaluphagus
Gerbil Elite

Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:53 pm

I caught a screening of Into the Spider-Verse this week. It is excellent. Interesting, incredibly tightly scripted and paced, and really fun as an action movie. Absolutely worth seeing. Also has a great soundtrack, which I'm listening to now as I work.

ludi
Gold subscriber
Lord High Gerbil

Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:00 am

An eBay seller is about to learn the hard way that when you pack heavy items, you need to immobilize them inside the packaging. Four perfectly good miniature transformers trashed because the seller didn't think they needed more than a light application of styrofoam peanuts to survive the paintshaker known as FedEx. I know eBay will side with me if the seller proves difficult, but I really wanted these.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration