JustAnEngineer
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Re: DYMT: Imi's Legacy

Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:26 am

AMD64Blondie wrote:
(Where did 2018 vanish to????)
Bill Shakespeare's Macbeth in Act 5 Scene 5 wrote:
Tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow, creeps in this petty pace from day to day, to the last syllable of recorded time; and all our yesterdays have lighted fools the way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player, that struts and frets his hour upon the stage and then is heard no more. It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
i7-9700K, H100i v2, Z390M Pro4, 32 GiB, RX Vega64, Define Mini-C, SSR-850PX, C32HG70, RK-9000BR, MX518

SecretMaster
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:55 pm

I've come to loathe nighttime driving, especially during rainy weather. My eyes have always been crappy, and it seems like every new car on the road has to be outfitted with blinding lights. Half the time when I'm driving I can't see more than a few feet in front of me. I'm just waiting for what seems like the inevitable collision with something that pops out in front of me (be it human, animal, or vehicle).

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:04 am

Even with glasses? That's not good. My wife can't drive at night without her glasses. During the day is fine.

SecretMaster
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:02 am

If it's highway driving I'm fine. Local roads with oncoming traffic make it very difficult for me to see. My glasses have the standard anti-glare coating they apply, but it doesn't seem to help all that much. I'm not sure if it's my eyes or if it's just the newer car lights. I'm pretty good at minimizing the need for driving past sundown, but it's toughest during this stretch of the year when daylight is short. I think driving a Honda Civic when a good chunk of vehicles on the road are taller vehicles/SUV's also isn't helping.

Krogoth
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Elder

Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:41 am

SecretMaster wrote:
I've come to loathe nighttime driving, especially during rainy weather. My eyes have always been crappy, and it seems like every new car on the road has to be outfitted with blinding lights. Half the time when I'm driving I can't see more than a few feet in front of me. I'm just waiting for what seems like the inevitable collision with something that pops out in front of me (be it human, animal, or vehicle).

It is because the new LED bulbs found on newer cars generate way too much blue light. Blue portions of the visual spectrum absolutely destroys night vision unlike the older halogen and incandescent bulbs found in older vehicles.
Gigabyte Z390 AORUS-PRO Coffee Lake R 9700K, 2x8GiB of G.Skill DDR4-3600, Sapphire RX Vega 64, Corsair CX-750M V2 and Fractal Define R4 (W)
Ivy Bridge 3570K, 2x4GiB of G.Skill RIPSAW DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, Corsair CX-750M V2, and PC-7B

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:12 am

For whatever reason, there also seems to be more upwards light leakage with the newer LED lights. The standards for high/low beams probably need to be revisited and tweaked in light (heh) of the increasing popularity of LED. Both in terms of emitted spectrum, and emission pattern.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

JustAnEngineer
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:05 am

When the pickup truck that you're meeting has 40" tires, a 6" suspension lift and a 4" body lift, its headlights may actually shine over your Civic instead of directly into your eyes.
i7-9700K, H100i v2, Z390M Pro4, 32 GiB, RX Vega64, Define Mini-C, SSR-850PX, C32HG70, RK-9000BR, MX518

idchafee
Gold subscriber
His Holy Gerbilness

Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:14 pm

Does anyone recommend a dash camera? I got this one and its been awful. The first one randomly shut off, quit recording and just sucked. They replaced it for free (yay!) but now it won't turn on again (boo!). So I'm looking for another one. Anyone have an idea?
YOU CAN RUPTURE SOMEONE'S SPLEEN WITH A WATER BALLOON!!!!

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:10 pm

We’ve tried a couple we’ll reviewed from Amazon. Neither worked as well as the $30 ones we picked up at Walmart. I wish someone made a 360* I could mount on the roof rack.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:17 pm

This is an updated version of what I use, but my case is professional so I went on the high end.

Street Guardian SG9663DC Dual Channel Dash Camera with 128GB MicroSD Card https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07532KZ3L/re ... lCbB5PA96M
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:22 am

Heiwashin wrote:
Street Guardian SG9663DC Dual Channel Dash Camera with 128GB MicroSD Card https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07532KZ3L/re ... lCbB5PA96M

*Drool*

derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:33 am

Be careful who you mug, you guys: https://apnews.com/013a988c742545c3a48f4942ea6a115b
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

MileageMayVary
Gerbil XP

Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:56 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
Be careful who you mug, you guys: https://apnews.com/013a988c742545c3a48f4942ea6a115b

Stupid bystanders letting that punk get away.
Main rig: Ryzen 1600, R9 290@1100MHz, 16GB@2933MHz, 1080-1440-1080 Ultrasharps.

derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:08 pm

MileageMayVary wrote:

Yeah, that annoyed me, too.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:15 pm

MileageMayVary wrote:
derFunkenstein wrote:

That might quickly turn into "stupid you" if the attacker were high on stimulants or had a knife stashed somewhere.

First rule of defense is to get away with your life, and be satisfied with that much. If the attacker is leaving, get a picture or a description and let the police do their job. Attempting a citizen's arrest is dicey, both in terms of legal consequences and personal safety, especially when the threat is no longer imminent.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:24 pm

ludi wrote:
That might quickly turn into "stupid you" if the attacker were high on stimulants or had a knife stashed somewhere.

First rule of defense is to get away with your life, and be satisfied with that much. If the attacker is leaving, get a picture or a description and let the police do their job. Attempting a citizen's arrest is dicey, both in terms of legal consequences and personal safety, especially when the threat is no longer imminent.

I'm not sure that they "let" him do anything. It sounds more like they helped the guy.

Bystanders interceded and the man escaped.

It's not totally clear, but somebody jumped in and the guy escaped. Intentionally or inadvertently, who knows.

Redocbew
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:28 pm

If I had to guess I'd say the fight was pretty much over already, and it sounds like if Shepard had wanted to keep the guy there himself he probably could have.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:51 pm

If i was the mugger i'd turn myself in and then sue because my brand earned him publicity for his fight and i wasn't compensated.
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:31 am

Well, based on this early AM, it takes the local police roughly 2 hours to process a DWI case from initial traffic stop to the tow truck taking the car to the impound lot. Two hours when the police car blocking my driveway is flashing its blue strobes into my bedroom and keeping the dog on maximum alert. Two hours of pre-dawn sleep I really needed.
Humans sleep soundly in their beds because rough cats stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:44 am

https://jasmcole.com/2014/08/25/helmhurts/

Just FYI this MIGHT not be Sat morning material for everyone. The math involved is....not simple.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

farmpuma
Silver subscriber
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Location: Soybean field, IN, USA, Earth .. just a bit south of John .. err .... Fart Wayne, Indiana

deary deer

Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:29 am

Friday, while I was opening the barn doors to help dry the mess
caused by the massively leaky roof, I noticed orange paint in a soggy
box I had thought contained my horseshoe set. It turned out to be
my late brother's swinging silhouette practice targets!

We had an unusual high of 52F with near zero winds and a little before
sunset I finally made it back outside. I removed all the targets from
the soggy cardboard and took a set of four out to the backyard
shooting range. Since the range is only ~22 yards deep I took my S&W
22 pistol out for some practice. I shot ten shots and then stopped to
transfer cartridges from the factory box into my sliding top easier to
reload from box. I looked up and there were three and then four deer,
about half way between the house and the woods, walking out from behind the
cover of the apple tree ~70 yards from the house. I thought they would
continue walking towards the creek and I continued to transfer
cartridges. When I looked again there more deer near the woods, many
more deer and they were still coming out of the woods! I took a couple
of shots at the left most target (furthest away from the deer), they
turned tail and trotted away from me. There were more deer than I have
ever seen at one time in the field near the woods, fifteen or maybe
twenty. After a couple more shots they turned and went back into the
woods. I shot a little longer, then picked up my stuff and went into
the house. I'm sure they came back out to graze as it got darker. They
see quite well in the dark.
[img]http://[/img] Image
.* * M-51 * *. .The Whirlpool Galaxy. .Good gun control is hitting your target and only your target.

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:27 pm

https://autoweek.com/article/car-news/s ... re-pacific

Hope you're not waiting on/expecting a custom-order Nissan from Japan.
Humans sleep soundly in their beds because rough cats stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:49 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
https://autoweek.com/article/car-news/stricken-cargo-ship-packed-nissans-fire-pacific
Hope you're not waiting on/expecting a custom-order Nissan from Japan.

That reminds me of a book. Hmm. It had to do with bombs being imported in cars by means of a fake AC compressor. For the life of me I can't remember which book it was though.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:27 pm

I'm not sure if this is legal in the us, but companies using personal information to offer different prices for the same product is something new to me that should have been obvious.

It could be as simple as price matching in incognito mode to see the differences. Now, whenever I intend to get a hotel room online for a discount, I know I should price match several different services and the price could lower as a result of that :x

I guess its just an extension of what gear best, banggood and I'm sure other places do. Place items into your cart logged in and you'll get a price. Leave for a while, you'll get an email with a reduced price. I really don't appreciate these sorts of tactics. I know Amazon will change product prices based on demand and stock but I wonder if they participate in personal data pricing.
When drunk.....

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:43 pm

The worst that I've seen is airfare. Pricing the exact same thing on Delta.com (for example) via mobile and desktop offer prices that are hundres of dollars different.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:46 pm

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
The worst that I've seen is airfare. Pricing the exact same thing on Delta.com (for example) via mobile and desktop offer prices that are hundres of dollars different.

Funny enough, in the video I watched a hotels cell phone price was higher than it's standard cost, while the non incognito window was 75$ off per night :lol:

https://youtu.be/NZVpbwz6kPk
When drunk.....

idchafee
Gold subscriber
His Holy Gerbilness

Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:36 pm

Link

How did we let this occur???
YOU CAN RUPTURE SOMEONE'S SPLEEN WITH A WATER BALLOON!!!!

Redocbew
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:47 pm

The world has truly gone insane.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:59 pm

No, the US just learned to desire higher-quality cheese over the plastic gov't stuff.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:24 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
No, the US just learned to desire higher-quality cheese over the plastic gov't stuff.

Yeah, reading the article carefully it sounds like the problem is that liquid milk and softer processed cheeses are relatively fungible from the production side, but neither one is selling well enough to diminish the milk oversupply. Our household eats a decent amount of cheese but I can't remember the last time I bought, say, Velveeta or American Sliced at the grocery store. (String cheese, yes, but that's unavoidable when there's a high-energy 2yo underfoot.) Harder cheeses require more specialized equipment, storage, and patience to produce and bring to market.

This may also explain why Tillamook is expanding so aggressively from the PNW and West Coast into the central western states. The selection of their cheese and ice cream seems to increase at local grocery every month or three.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration