Personal computing discussed

Moderators: Captain Ned, emkubed

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Re: DYMT: Imi's Legacy

Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:31 pm

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
Heiwashin wrote:
Just incase you want to see two trucks high five. This was at the baltimore maryland ports. As usual, you can tell it's my video by the reflection of many drones in th

We hate shipping out of Baltimore.

All of the ports are terrible for various reasons. I'm not a fan either but we send a lot of stuff overseas.
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:10 pm

I'm getting into my thermostat for my thermo electric cooler, and i can't help but take pride in my organization and wire handling skills. For your consideration. :wink:

Story of my life. I'm getting it done, it just aint pretty. :lol:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:16 pm

DancinJack wrote:
I think all the regulars (Ben and myself included since we're the "young" ones) are old enough to remember Daria!

I KNOW Daria, but she wasn't really my thing. By the time it aired, I was out of high school and into things like underage drinking and playing four-player Goldeneye (usually whilst underage drinking). I wasn't watching much TV at the time.

My sister, OTOH, was still in high school when it debuted and loved it.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:39 pm

Heiwashin wrote:
Usacomp2k3 wrote:
Heiwashin wrote:
Just incase you want to see two trucks high five. This was at the baltimore maryland ports. As usual, you can tell it's my video by the reflection of many drones in th

We hate shipping out of Baltimore.

All of the ports are terrible for various reasons. I'm not a fan either but we send a lot of stuff overseas.

80% of what we control goes out of Savannah or Jacksonville. A little bit else to Charleston. We’re banned from Miami for whatever reason.

Chuckaluphagus
Silver subscriber
Gerbil Elite

Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:38 pm

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
We’re banned from Miami for whatever reason.

We don't talk about Miami.

<__<
>__>

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:52 pm

Snowblowing 2 feet of snow at an air temp of 0F and 20+ knot winds really sucks. Even worse, this was just the first pass and I'll need to do it again tomorrow. Looked like a Jethro Tull album cover when I came in.
Humans sleep soundly in their beds because rough cats stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:45 pm

Chuckaluphagus wrote:

I'll never be over Macho Grande.
Humans sleep soundly in their beds because rough cats stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

MileageMayVary
Gerbil XP

Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:36 pm

Heiwashin wrote:
Just incase you want to see two trucks high five. This was at the baltimore maryland ports. As usual, you can tell it's my video by the reflection of many drones in the windshield.

Sharing this with a friend who works in shipping down there!
Main rig: Ryzen 1600, R9 290@1100MHz, 16GB@2933MHz, 1080-1440-1080 Ultrasharps.

MileageMayVary
Gerbil XP

Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:47 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
Chuckaluphagus wrote:

I'll never be over Macho Grande.

He brought us in real low, but he couldn't handle it.

Buddy couldn't handle it? Was Buddy one of your crew?

Right! Buddy was the bombardier but it was Stryker who couldn't handle it. And he went to pieces.

Andy went to pieces?

No, Andy was the navigator, he was alright. Buddy went to pieces. It was awful how he came unglued.

Howie came unglued?

Oh no! Howie was a rock! Best tail gunner in the outfit. Buddy came unglued.

And he bailed out?

No! Andy hung tough, Buddy bailed out. How we survived was a miracle.

Then Howie survived?

No, I'm afraid not. We lost Howie the next day.

Over Macho Grande?
Main rig: Ryzen 1600, R9 290@1100MHz, 16GB@2933MHz, 1080-1440-1080 Ultrasharps.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:16 am

We probably own a dozen tape measures, but I can never find one when I need one. Amazon apparently has a solution for this -- they have a three-pack of tape measures which is eligible for their subscription service!

They also claim that the most commonly selected subscription interval is 2 months. So I guess the average person loses a tape measure every 20 days?

https://www.amazon.com/Wheres-My-Tape-M ... 06WD2TZYH/

:lol:
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:18 am

Maybe they're fragile and they break. The subscription price is for contractors?
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:24 am

lol fractions on a tape measure wtf is this
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:25 am

For people who can't count the little tick marks I guess.

I found the subscription part way more amusing than the fractions. It was almost as if Amazon was telling me "We know you're looking at multi-packs of tape measures because you constantly misplace them; let us help you with that!"

The Egg
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:14 pm

Edit: Removed questionable phrase
Last edited by The Egg on Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:41 pm

Let's be careful with terms like that, please.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:43 pm

Me and another guy were discussing how connecting a trailer with the trucks lights on can sometimes blow the fuse, and it moved into over current problems with some trailers that continuously blow fuses. He then explains that his solution is to replace the trucks 15A fuse with a 30A :lol: :lol: :lol: I wonder why i see trailer fires on the interstate with no obvious reason.
When drunk.....

Redocbew
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:55 pm

Yikes. I think the mythbusters might have done something like that once while testing something involving cars, electrical wiring, firearms, and an unfortunate passenger. The upshot of it that I remember is they couldn't get it to work until they started doing things like that... which of course nobody would ever do...
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:28 pm

It was replacing an old-school glass fuse with a .22LR round.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:58 pm

I'm done with the wiring for my thermostat which is put together with whatever i could 2 day on amazon in the only box i had laying around, and i wanted to make sure i used enough wire to position things where i wanted and am too impatient to plan the positions ahead of time properly. When this box closes, i'll never open it again. The dragons of this land will rule for eternity.

On a side note, i followed jbi suggestion for a dpdt to control heating and cooling. I also set up a clock and lcd for monitoring and tracking.

When drunk.....

The Egg

Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:24 am

How do you guys make your ComEd payments? Aside from rent, it's the last bill I was still paying by paper check. I recently attempted to set up automatic billing, only to find that they only allow one-time manual payments with creditcards. For automatic billing, you must link all the info from your bank account.

Question: What sort of protections are usually in place for e-checks and the like? In the case of a database hack, or if ComEd were to erroneously charge me $2,597.42 due to a glitch, what sort of recourse would I have?

derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:53 am

Today is my third interview in as many days. I sent out exactly four resumes at the start of the year and I got callbacks for all four places to interview. I've got a second interview already lined up at one of them. It's surreal.

Chuckaluphagus
Silver subscriber
Gerbil Elite

Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:51 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
Today is my third interview in as many days. I sent out exactly four resumes at the start of the year and I got callbacks for all four places to interview. I've got a second interview already lined up at one of them. It's surreal.

That's awesome. Waaaay back in my 20s when I was looking for work, I felt so much better about my life when I started getting interviews.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:03 pm

The Egg wrote:
How do you guys make your ComEd payments? Aside from rent, it's the last bill I was still paying by paper check. I recently attempted to set up automatic billing, only to find that they only allow one-time manual payments with creditcards. For automatic billing, you must link all the info from your bank account.

I don't; the electric utility where I live is owned by the city. I get a combined bill from the city for water, sewer, and electric which is auto-billed to a credit card. Mortgage is paid electronically (it is through the same bank I have my checking account with, so it is effectively just a direct funds transfer from one account to another). I no longer have any recurring monthly bills that get paid with a paper check.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:06 pm

I take a paper check for the car loan. 1/ They want to charge a fee to pay online via plastic or give them access to my checking account. 2/ I want to feel the pain of the debt as motivation to pay it off faster.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:18 pm

I like paying several of my bills paper checks because, in an ironic twist, they're now much more secure than any kind of electronic payment. All the fraud opportunities are inside the computer now.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Glorious
Gold subscriber
Gerbilus Supremus

Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:27 pm

ludi wrote:
I like paying several of my bills paper checks because, in an ironic twist, they're now much more secure than any kind of electronic payment. All the fraud opportunities are inside the computer now.

Sure, but the check ends up inside a computer pretty quick.

Then, for instance, they cash the same check twice, say 4 months (or so, IIRC) later. You just re-ACH the same check21 image. Literally nothing prevents that.

True, that wouldn't have been possible if the check remained paper ('cause I would get the canceled check and they wouldn't have it to re-submit), but it's basically paper only through the mail. Once it's out of the envelope and fed into the check-scanning machine, we're back into computer land.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:44 pm

I doubt they are any more secure in practice, in part for the reason Glorious gives, but also because physical mail can be mis-delivered or stolen.

My SOP these days is that anything I can put on a credit card goes on a credit card unless they charge an extra processing fee to do so, and that card gets paid off in full every month.

The Egg

Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:58 pm

just brew it! wrote:
My SOP these days is that anything I can put on a credit card goes on a credit card unless they charge an extra processing fee to do so, and that card gets paid off in full every month.

I'm the same way. I like being able to contest charges if needed, which is why entering all my bank account info makes me uneasy. I guess my questions would probably be better asked of someone at my specific bank.

As for paper versus electronic payment, I have a technophobe sister who loves to argue about such things. She refuses to pay for anything online, and even goes as far as paying her Comcast bill *in person* at the office each month. She's basically standing in line so that an unhappy, low-paid worker can enter her payment into the same computer system she would've done herself, and adding another middleman/potential point of fraud. Whatever. :roll:

Redocbew
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:07 pm

I've worked at a few places where placing an order over the phone meant that the customer service rep was just entering their information into the shopping cart for them. If Grandma needs a new pair of shoes and can't figure out the site I get it, but in my experience that's not the majority of it.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

Glorious
Gold subscriber
Gerbilus Supremus

Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:25 pm

The Egg wrote:
She's basically standing in line so that an unhappy, low-paid worker can enter her payment into the same computer system she would've done herself, and adding another middleman/potential point of fraud. Whatever.

This is where, historically, most credit card fraud actually happened. By far.

As you acknowledge, being scared of the "internet" when it comes to using credit cards is basically backwards.

Redocbew wrote:
I've worked at a few places where placing an order over the phone meant that the customer service rep was just entering their information into the shopping cart for them. If Grandma needs a new pair of shoes and can't figure out the site I get it, but in my experience that's not the majority of it.

Yeah, if there isn't a bona fida technical issue (as in, can't figure out the site as you say), that's one thing. If it just a superstitious aversion, that's just foolish as I said above.

Especially since "over the phone", unlike card-present transactions on modern Point of Sales with EMV "insert the card, chip-first" support, is a card not-present transaction where the low-paid high-turnover customer support rep can easily skim the card.