Moderators: Captain Ned, emkubed

End User
Gold subscriber
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: DYMT: Imi's Legacy

Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:36 pm

Glorious wrote:
The Egg wrote:
She's basically standing in line so that an unhappy, low-paid worker can enter her payment into the same computer system she would've done herself, and adding another middleman/potential point of fraud. Whatever.

This is where, historically, most credit card fraud actually happened. By far.

As you acknowledge, being scared of the "internet" when it comes to using credit cards is basically backwards.

Redocbew wrote:
I've worked at a few places where placing an order over the phone meant that the customer service rep was just entering their information into the shopping cart for them. If Grandma needs a new pair of shoes and can't figure out the site I get it, but in my experience that's not the majority of it.

Yeah, if there isn't a bona fida technical issue (as in, can't figure out the site as you say), that's one thing. If it just a superstitious aversion, that's just foolish as I said above.

Especially since "over the phone", unlike card-present transactions on modern Point of Sales with EMV "insert the card, chip-first" support, is a card not-present transaction where the low-paid high-turnover customer support rep can easily skim the card.

Utterly fascinating.

Glorious
Gold subscriber
Gerbilus Supremus

Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:49 pm

End User wrote:
Utterly fascinating.

It really gets funny because people will hand their entire card (which then disappears from their view for minutes at a time) and signed receipt (not that signatures are anything other than LOL "security"---but the same "people" tend to needlessly fuss over them [whereas I generally just draw a line :roll: ]) over to a person they don't even tip (thereby insuring in most jurisdictions that they aren't even making minimum wage) and...

..."Oh, yeah.

By the way, sorry, sorry, last minute, I know, I know, but can you split this 5 ways? Thanks, here are FIVE cards (and later signed receipts), and don't misunderstand who ordered what when we're all arguing over each other or we'll call your manager. Tttttttthanks!"

"Order on the internet?" "But anyone could be listening!" ( or... I mean.... encrypted transactions with automated systems that hash and segregate CC info, and likely don't even retain the CVV).

Your sorely abused server/expediter at a restaurant, you totally know them, though.

Right?

EDIT: Also, these poor souls are also legally empowered to actually check your ID (sometimes explicitly mandated to card "if individuals looks under 35" etc..) should you chose to imbibe, so with a little bit of memory they can have your address, birthdate, and drivers license number.

"Aw thanks, I knew I only looked 29!"

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:31 pm

Glorious wrote:
The Egg wrote:
She's basically standing in line so that an unhappy, low-paid worker can enter her payment into the same computer system she would've done herself, and adding another middleman/potential point of fraud. Whatever.

This is where, historically, most credit card fraud actually happened. By far.

... and that's why checks are safer IMO; it's not that they can't be gamed, just that the process is more cumbersome and more quickly flagged. Somewhat like stealing a car with a manual transmission: it's not technically different than stealing an automatic, but most casual thieves will move down the row. Historically I had my card number stolen a couple times in such a way that I could not only point the restaurant where it happened, I could probably speculate accurately on the three service employees most likely to have front and rear card snaps still on their cell phone.

justbrewit wrote:
I doubt they are any more secure in practice, in part for the reason Glorious gives, but also because physical mail can be mis-delivered or stolen.

Townhome complex. Our mailbox is locked. And I would venture that the larger portion of casual financial thieves wouldn't even know what to do with a check if they found one.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:41 pm

i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:43 pm

A good day in trucking is a day in which nothing meaningful happens. Today was not one of those days.

Trailer needed repairs since air was coming out from the back of a fitting. I take it in overnight, in the morning it's still leaking. I head back into the shop and he complains about the the guys not only fixing it wrong, but that they replaced the parts to begin with. Turns out it's some sort of compression fitting that just needed to be tightened more.

In the process of getting my trailer looked at i backed over snow with the trailer and ripped off a mudflap, although i didn't notice until i was 30 miles away. Had to go back and get it replaced.

I tried to get fuel at the company's pump only to find out the right side pump doesn't work, so i can only fill half my fuel which is a waste of time.

I get an alarm shortly after that there's water in my fuel filter. I drain out probably a liter over the course of the day. My fuel from the companies pump was obviously tainted. I try to tell the people at the company and no one wants to deal with it because it's too much of a problem with no clear responsible party. Better to pass the buck and let people get water diesel for the time being i suppose.

Working in 0-5f sucks when you're working with metal outdoors. At one point i even had to bring securement devices into the truck to thaw them on the dash. Driving was even worse today because the roads appeared to be in good order, and i could tell they weren't and expected trouble. Sure enough, there was a notice of an accident ahead on the DOT signs. As i'm carefully approaching this happens.

The guy was fine. I stayed parked there to provide cover, and the fire and police people asked me to stay there after they arrived, for some reason although i didn't mind, until we got him shuffled away. Within a mile i blocked traffic for another wall slammer who was trying to get out but no one was giving him the space. He was making a hazard of himself trying to 3 point on the shoulder, but slowing traffic creates a hazard too. Can't win.

A few extra omitted details of continuous frustration but, i should have been able to leave this morning around 9 am, but lost 4 hours to a continuous stream of random events. For those unfamiliar with trucker pay, that's 4 unpaid hours since we're only paid for work completed. One of those days for sure. :roll:
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:13 pm

DancinJack wrote:

Yeah, I saw that. Happy to see them change their mind.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:20 pm

There's a small chance that while working on my thermostat...something..might possibly have happened that made me think its a good idea to use extended connectors with filled blocks to prevent reverse polarity hookups. I'm not saying it happened, just that it probably happened but only cost like 10$ of parts.

On a probably unrelated note, i'm replanning the project without the use of the oled screen for the time being.
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

Redocbew
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Jedi

Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:59 pm

I think most people here might possibly have had things like that happen before. I can't confirm that it's happened to me, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was a common thing.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:07 pm

Stupid ants. If one of these gets into your drink and you don't notice, they taste really bad!

Must be time to mix up another batch of sugar water and boric acid, and lay some baits. Nest has to be inside the house somewhere, given the outside temperatures.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:38 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Stupid ants. If one of these gets into your drink and you don't notice, they taste really bad!

Must be time to mix up another batch of sugar water and boric acid, and lay some baits. Nest has to be inside the house somewhere, given the outside temperatures.

Did you say ants??

https://www.space.com/43112-ants-swarm- ... scope.html
Humans sleep soundly in their beds because rough cats stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:48 pm

The ants I have seem like they may be attracted to the IR coming from my optical mouse. They like to get right under the sensor, which makes the mouse cursor spazz out!

Redocbew
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:18 pm

Kitchen knife: 1
Me: 0

Damnit.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:27 pm

Humans sleep soundly in their beds because rough cats stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

The Egg

Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:11 am

Rip James Ingram. Not really my genre, but gotta recognize his talent. Also too young at 66

Krogoth
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Elder

Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:38 am

just brew it! wrote:
The ants I have seem like they may be attracted to the IR coming from my optical mouse. They like to get right under the sensor, which makes the mouse cursor spazz out!

If it is made of warm then I sits. :lol:
Gigabyte Z390 AORUS-PRO Coffee Lake R 9700K, 2x8GiB of G.Skill DDR4-3600, Sapphire RX Vega 64, Corsair CX-750M V2 and Fractal Define R4 (W)
Ivy Bridge 3570K, 2x4GiB of G.Skill RIPSAW DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, Corsair CX-750M V2, and PC-7B

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:22 am

I was thinking now is probably a good time to head too my storage unit and check on things. The hundreds of fall spiders are probably dead now :lol:
When drunk.....

The Egg

Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:44 pm

It’s kinda crazy how much different canned/jarred pineapple tastes from fresh pineapple. I’m sure they’re different varieties, but if I didn’t know, I wouldn’t have even thought they were the same fruit.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:08 pm

The Egg wrote:
It’s kinda crazy how much different canned/jarred pineapple tastes from fresh pineapple. I’m sure they’re different varieties, but if I didn’t know, I wouldn’t have even thought they were the same fruit.

Yeah, the cooking process required to make it shelf stable really changes the character a lot. This seems to be true of pretty much all canned fruit, if you think about it.

The Egg

Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:14 pm

just brew it! wrote:
The Egg wrote:

Yeah, the cooking process required to make it shelf stable really changes the character a lot. This seems to be true of pretty much all canned fruit, if you think about it.

Yeah, now that I think of it, those canned pear halves they used to give us in school lunches barely had any resemblance to a real pear. Do they really need to cook fruit to put it in a can? Seems like it shouldn’t be necessary. The pineapple in question actually came from a plastic container, making it seem even less necessary.

derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:24 pm

Well salt-cured fruit sounds gross and you have to kill the germs before canning so it does seem a necessary evil.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:12 pm

The Egg wrote:
Yeah, now that I think of it, those canned pear halves they used to give us in school lunches barely had any resemblance to a real pear. Do they really need to cook fruit to put it in a can? Seems like it shouldn’t be necessary. The pineapple in question actually came from a plastic container, making it seem even less necessary.

Canned goods are supposed to remain shelf-stable for years. In order for that to happen (especially given the high-moisture environment), you need to make sure that any microbes or fungi that might grow are dead, dead, dead. Some spores are quite hardy and can survive very high temperatures. We're not just talking pasteurization here, it needs to be sterilized (which is a different, and more extreme requirement). So... high heat is a given. But that also cooks the fruit. And cooked fruit tastes very different from fresh fruit, since it has been fundamentally altered at a molecular level.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:48 am

Pretty much any preservation method dramatically alters the food. Sterilize and seal (sustained high heat), dehydrate (often while adding sugar or salt), freezing (breaks down the cell structure), ferment (the all-time favorite)...

If you want it to taste reasonably fresh, you gotta eat it fresh. And if you want to enjoy it properly ripened, you gotta live where it grows.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:28 am

ludi wrote:
freezing (breaks down the cell structure), ferment (the all-time favorite)...

Of all the preservation methods, freezing alters the flavor the least. It tends to have a pretty dramatic impact on texture though.

FWIW I've found that freezing fruit prior to fermenting (for alcoholic beverages) is a good idea. The texture change is irrelevant, and breaking down the cell walls makes the yeast's job easier.

The Egg

Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:07 pm

Interesting stuff. I actually really like papaya from the tall plastic containers that Dole sells, which tells me I have no idea how fresh papaya tastes, and I need to try it (assuming it’s available here in January). I’ll probably have to google how to know when they’re ripe, etc

Redocbew
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:15 pm

Fresh tomatoes are another thing that often surprise people. The difference between a homegrown tomato that was still on the vine a half hour ago compared to a store bought tomato that's been shipped from wherever and then sat on a shelf until someone bought it can be pretty dramatic. You can get pretty close to it though if you have a good farmers market nearby.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:53 pm

Redocbew wrote:
Fresh tomatoes are another thing that often surprise people. The difference between a homegrown tomato that was still on the vine a half hour ago compared to a store bought tomato that's been shipped from wherever and then sat on a shelf until someone bought it can be pretty dramatic.

Sometimes I eat them straight off the vine, without even taking them inside. Those are the best! (Need to inspect for ants before ingesting...)

Redocbew
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:58 pm

The ants are just a little extra protein. :lol:

farmpuma
Silver subscriber
Location: Soybean field, IN, USA, Earth .. just a bit south of John .. err .... Fart Wayne, Indiana

Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:02 am

This is not a comment. Had this been anything other than an exercise in frozen futility, you would have been instructed to bend over, grab your ankles, and kiss your butt goodbye.

edit - In other news - Every time Netzero raises my rates my wannabe internet gets worse. As soon as weather and time permits I'm going shopping for anything other than Netzero.
[img]http://[/img] Image
.* * M-51 * *. .The Whirlpool Galaxy. .Good gun control is hitting your target and only your target.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:43 pm

My wife has been complaining lately that her desktop has been crashing/BSODing occasionally. Some of the crashes seemed to be pointing to the Nvidia driver, so I figured I'd swap in a spare GPU to see if that helps. Dug a GT 610 out of the spares collection and popped the case on her system open to see what was what. The existing GPU was a 7200 GS, so over a decade old... and it has a visibly swollen capacitor in the primary VRM area. So yeah... way past due for an upgrade, and a candidate for the recycle pile at this point. (I could recap it, but there isn't much point for a ~13 year old card.)

GT 610 seems to be working fine.

I should've checked the GPU and swapped it out when I did her HDD -> SSD upgrade a few years back; pretty sure I've had the spare GT 610 longer than that. Her CPU is also from roughly the same era -- an Athlon 64 X2 4800+ (AM2 version). I think I've got a Phenom X4 9550 I could drop in there, which would get her two more cores, and a CPU that's almost from sometime in the past decade. :lol:

I guess this also goes to show that for casual desktop use, ancient (by tech standards) stuff is still perfectly fine as long as it remains in decent working order.

I should also point out that the state of her PC isn't just me being lazy. She hates upgrading anything, because "something always changes and I don't like that". She was basically dragged kicking and screaming to Windows 7 (from XP) when she got this PC. I've warned her that Windows 7 EOL is coming and she's not thrilled with that either.

She also still doesn't own a smartphone ("they'll pry my slide-out QWERTY keyboard from my cold dead hands" is her take). Eventually Sprint will drop 3G support (or the battery will finally stop holding a charge) and she'll have no choice but to replace her ancient LG featurephone.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:38 pm