Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

The Egg
Gold subscriber
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: DYMT: Imi's Legacy

Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:06 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Like any cake, it can vary widely in quality. It's basically the same stuff you'd make cupcakes out of, just baked in a single large pan instead of in individual size servings.

I’m talking mainly supermarket style sheet cake that’s everywhere. Nearly any of these sound/look better. And of course pie.

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:13 pm

Spend some quality time with ingredients and prep and the baking vessel makes no difference. Mass market cake knows of no quality in either.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:56 pm

Publix sheet cake is delicious. That’s what we did at our wedding for both cakes.

Redocbew
Gold subscriber

Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:58 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
Spend some quality time with ingredients and prep and the baking vessel makes no difference. Mass market cake knows of no quality in either.

Pretty much. Those cakes are coming from the same industry that once tried to make a square tomato that could sit on the shelf for a month, but surprise, it tasted like cardboard.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:42 pm

The Egg wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
Like any cake, it can vary widely in quality. It's basically the same stuff you'd make cupcakes out of, just baked in a single large pan instead of in individual size servings.

I’m talking mainly supermarket style sheet cake that’s everywhere. Nearly any of these sound/look better. And of course pie.

It’s cheap and it feeds a lot of people. That’s all it takes.

I’m walking into an interview. My fifth in two weeks. I’m getting burned out on getting nervous. Lol
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:54 pm

That was absolutely grueling. Three consecutive hour-long interviews with two people at a time. Six people asked me questions and gave me coding problems for three hours. I think it went OK. Of the three jobs I'm interviewing for, this is the one I want the most.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:50 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
That was absolutely grueling. Three consecutive hour-long interviews with two people at a time. Six people asked me questions and gave me coding problems for three hours. I think it went OK. Of the three jobs I'm interviewing for, this is the one I want the most.

:) Get used to it. That's probably what I'd call "typical" these days for any company worth their salt. An hour is pretty long, but the multiple sessions with different people giving you coding problems is right on.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:17 pm

The length is what got me. Doing that once was expected. I did something like that this morning for another company. Doing it three times for the same organization was a bit much. :lol:

But the job sounds interesting and the people I know who work there love it. I limited my applications to places where I already know I want to work. I’m choosing to take the fact that I made it through all three as a good sign.

Redocbew
Gold subscriber

Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:26 pm

I'd say three hours is a pretty average duration for an interview like that. I've had interviews which lasted four or five hours with just Q/A or doing code problems rapid fire from one group to the next, but those are usually scheduled with a lunch break somewhere in the middle. In my experience it's also usually not that difficult to tell how things worked out, so if you feel good about it that's probably a good sign.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:41 pm

It has to go well. I'm burning through too much vacation time for this to wind up to be all for naught. :lol:

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:16 am

No risk, no reward...
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:14 am

Exactly.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:45 am

...or "no risk, no taking a job at an interesting looking smaller company which gets acquired a month later by a century old multi-national mega-corp". I've been living that dream for the past ~3 years. :lol:

(TBH it actually hasn't been bad, It's just not what I was expecting, for obvious reasons!)

I suppose this is a significant risk in the tech industry. Smaller/younger companies which look "interesting" to work for may also look "interesting" from an acquisition standpoint. The key is to pick a winner and get on board early enough that you get a piece of the action when the buyout occurs. (I missed that boat, unfortunately.)

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:50 am

just brew it! wrote:
...or "no risk, no taking a job at an interesting looking smaller company which gets acquired a month later by a century old multi-national mega-corp". I've been living that dream for the past ~3 years. :lol:

(TBH it actually hasn't been bad, It's just not what I was expecting, for obvious reasons!)

I suppose this is a significant risk in the tech industry. Smaller/younger companies which look "interesting" to work for may also look "interesting" from an acquisition standpoint.

What's your meetings to work time ratio? :lol:
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:54 am

Heiwashin wrote:
What's your meetings to work time ratio? :lol:

Fluctuates wildly by day of the week. On Monday it was roughly 7:1. Yesterday that was reversed. I expect today to be somewhere in the middle.

A lot of people telecommute on Tuesdays and Thursdays, so meetings tend to not get scheduled on those days. The 2 days/week telecommute option was something I expected to disappear after the acquisition, but the new owners have been very accommodating.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:11 pm

Heh, I've got another marathon scheduled with another company on Monday. 10 different people over 3 hours. I guess that IS pretty normal.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:54 am

I am now officially old. Last night I took the senior discount at a restaurant for the first time...

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:52 am

Congratulations! :D

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:30 am

just brew it! wrote:
I am now officially old. Last night I took the senior discount at a restaurant for the first time...

The cashier at the coffee shop in my office building has been trying to give me the discount for some time now and I keep politely reminding her that I haven't yet crossed that threshold.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:08 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

The cashier at the coffee shop in my office building has been trying to give me the discount for some time now and I keep politely reminding her that I haven't yet crossed that threshold.

I wouldn't. I'll take that cheaper coffee any time.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:33 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
Captain Ned wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

I wouldn't. I'll take that cheaper coffee any time.

My wife has embraced it and seeks the discounts out. I've been in denial for the past year. Well partially that, and partially that it just isn't something I'm in the habit of doing.

farmpuma
Gold subscriber
Location: Soybean field, IN, USA, Earth .. just a bit south of John .. err .... Fart Wayne, Indiana

Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:57 am

Welcome to the over the hill club!

Kroger had senior discount Tuesday for many years, but dropped it a few years ago. I can't say that I miss shopping mainly on Tuesday.
[img]http://[/img] Image
.* * M-51 * *. .The Whirlpool Galaxy. .TV muted, X dual flying birds & a mantra, "Specter be Gone"

The Egg
Gold subscriber

Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:25 pm

I see that the Galloping Ghost arcade bought yet another building down the block, this time for Galloping Ghost Pinball. Not sure if it's open yet.

They already expanded the original operation as far as the building would allow, opened a Galloping Ghost Gym & Martial Arts place, and an additional buliding called Galloping Ghost Productions. Business must be very good.

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:32 pm

Today, NASA officially pronounced Mars Rover Opportunity (MER-B) dead. Designed to live for 90 sols and travel 1 kilometer, she lasted 5351 sols and traveled 45.16 kilometers. Even her sister Spirit lasted longer and roved farther that planned. Not only did they have the best mission patches ever conceived, but both have been memorialized by XKCD.

Spirit:

Opportunity:

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:31 am

I don't get all the eulogies for a robot. We barely remember actual human beings when they die.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:37 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
I don't get all the eulogies for a robot. We barely remember actual human beings when they die.

You did read this part, right?
Designed to live for 90 sols and travel 1 kilometer, she lasted 5351 sols and traveled 45.16 kilometers.

For a robot. On ANOTHER PLANET.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:24 am

Our e-waste problem has gotten so big we now litter in space. :lol:

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:42 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
Our e-waste problem has gotten so big we now litter in space. :lol:

For which Val Kilmer and Matt Damon are eternally grateful.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:52 am

lol Amazon just announced it's not moving to LIC, Queens.

rekt

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:33 pm

Occasionally I consider how much time I spend denying things, mostly on my phone. Removing notifications I don't want, filtering spam, trying to quickly click through the app startup pages telling you about the new pointless irrelevant feature.

Here is another thing that fits that bill. Although the form is usually different, I got very similar to this today:

Do you like the app?
Yes: rate us!
No: leave feedback
Ask later.

:roll:
Option D, uninstall. I hate being pestered especially when I paid for the app.
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.