Personal computing discussed

Moderators: Captain Ned, emkubed

derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Re: DYMT: Imi's Legacy

Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:24 am

Our e-waste problem has gotten so big we now litter in space. :lol:
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:42 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
Our e-waste problem has gotten so big we now litter in space. :lol:

For which Val Kilmer and Matt Damon are eternally grateful.
Humans sleep soundly in their beds because rough cats stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:52 am

lol Amazon just announced it's not moving to LIC, Queens.

rekt
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:33 pm

Occasionally I consider how much time I spend denying things, mostly on my phone. Removing notifications I don't want, filtering spam, trying to quickly click through the app startup pages telling you about the new pointless irrelevant feature.

Here is another thing that fits that bill. Although the form is usually different, I got very similar to this today:

Do you like the app?
Yes: rate us!
No: leave feedback
Ask later.

:roll:
Option D, uninstall. I hate being pestered especially when I paid for the app.
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:41 pm

Heiwashin wrote:
Occasionally I consider how much time I spend denying things, mostly on my phone. Removing notifications I don't want, filtering spam, trying to quickly click through the app startup pages telling you about the new pointless irrelevant feature.

Here is another thing that fits that bill. Although the form is usually different, I got very similar to this today:

Do you like the app?
Yes: rate us!
No: leave feedback
Ask later.

:roll:
Option D, uninstall. I hate being pestered especially when I paid for the app.

I hope you uninstalled Facebook, too.

BTW, there are lots of ways to control notifications these days. Especially on Android. My life is tangibly better since Android introduced notification channels in Oreo and I killed most stuff from even showing. It's nice.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:01 pm

I don't have any social media stuff. I mostly disable single apps notifications as I discover they're too annoying. That alone is not a big deal, it just adds into the total amount of denying time. I'd extend it further to having to deny upselling when buying food or being begged for roundups or dollars at the register.
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

The Egg
Gold subscriber
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:19 pm

YouTube has also gotten extremely obnoxious with popups pushing their other wares (YouTube TV, Premium, Music) whenever you open the app, and sometimes just when you open specific types of content. Pretty cheesy stuff from such a big company, and there doesn't seem to be any way to disable it.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:35 pm

Yep Google products are definitely on the list. Even Gmail in browser occasionally wastes a little time with annoying information about improved blah blah blah. I hate Subway but they're in most truck stops sadly, and occasionally I get a sub in a hurry. My experience:

Them: what kindof foot long can I get started for you today?
Me: I'd like a 6 inch blah with double meat on white bread.
Them: 6 inch blah, *gets the bread together* , would you like double meat today.
Me: Ye....yes please.
*Useful exchange for sandwich creation to completion*
Them: you get a free cookie with your double meat
Me: no thanks.
Then: would you like chips,a drink, or a cookie.
Me: No thanks.
Them: are you sure we have cookies 3 for blah dollars?
Me: no
Them: oh I'm silly you didn't want the free one. for here or to go?
Me: to go
Them: rewards card? (Probably pilot flying j exclusive)
Them: would you like to donate a dollar to blahs for blahs.
Them: have a nice day
My thoughts every time: why do I come here?

I used to walk in and essentially answer the entire script up front," 6 inch blah, double meat, no sides, to go" but the next words were usually," was that a 6 nch blah?" Followed by the same process as usual as if I'd never said anything to begin with.
Last edited by Heiwashin on Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When drunk.....

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:36 pm

The Egg wrote:
YouTube has also gotten extremely obnoxious with popups pushing their other wares (YouTube TV, Premium, Music) whenever you open the app, and sometimes just when you open specific types of content. Pretty cheesy stuff from such a big company, and there doesn't seem to be any way to disable it.

Dude, yes. I recently cancelled my Google Play Music/Youtube Premium sub (I had it since GPM was in beta, so it was 7.99/month for both services which, IMO, is pretty damn good) because I got a Spotify Premium sub with the fam. YT now pops up a full screen "COME BACK TO US AND RENEW NOW" every single time I open the app now. Almost makes me not use YT on my phone at all anymore tbh. It's stupid.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:37 pm

Heiwashin wrote:
Them: what kindof foot long can I get started for you today?
Me: I'd like a 6 inch blah with double meat on white bread.
Them: 6 inch blah, *gets the bread together* , would you like double meat today.
Me: Ye....yes please.
*Useful exchange for sandwich creation to completion*
Them: you get a free cookie with your double meat
Me: no thanks.
Then: would you like chips,a drink, or a cookie.
Me: No thanks.
Them: are you sure we have cookies 3 for blah dollars?
Them: for here or to go?
Me: to go
Them: rewards card? (Probably pilot flying j exclusive)
Them: would you like to donate a dollar to blahs for blahs.
Them: have a nice day
My thoughts every time: why do I come here?

I used to walk in and essentially answer the entire script up front," 6 inch blah, double meat, no sides, to go" but the next words were usually," was that a 6 nch blah?" Followed by the same process as usual as if I'd never said anything to begin with.

hahaha this is weird and has never once happened to me at Subway. I walk in, like you, knowing exactly what I want and just kinda blurt it out as they move along the line. I seriously have never been upsold at Subway. I don't eat there all that often, but did maybe once a month or so during college.

edit: I missed something VERY serious in this post. You get a 6 inch sandwich (less important) with double meat (good) on white bread (bad) and NO VEGGIES (v bad)?

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:49 pm

I get some of their paper like veggies but that's in the skipped section because it's part of the necessary and expected interaction unlike the rest.

I'm sure it varies by franchise. I occasionally hit one that doesn't give me any trouble, but the majority start with,"what kind of footling can I get started for you" and landslide downhill from there. As a customer that kindof thing makes me think they don't appreciate the money I've already decided to spend there.
When drunk.....

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:36 pm

I learned a neat trick a few days ago I'll share with the class.

Cup of noodles, 8- 10 ounces water into your single serve coffee maker. Set the noodles under it. :wink:
When drunk.....

JustAnEngineer
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:59 pm

I could try that trick with the Bunn pour-over coffee maker here in the office just for giggles. We’ve got an electric kettle that works well. At home, my Corelle teapot goes into the microwave to generate a pot of boiling water.
i7-9700K, H100i v2, Z390M Pro4, 32 GiB, RX Vega64, Define Mini-C, SSR-850PX, C32HG70, RK-9000BR, MX518

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:45 pm

Yup. I use that one. Sometimes it tastes a little like coffee, but that’s ok.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:48 pm

Usacomp2k3 wrote:

:lol: So far i haven't had coffee flavored noodles but i won't mind when it does happen.
When drunk.....

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:19 pm

Heiwashin wrote:
Usacomp2k3 wrote:

:lol: So far i haven't had coffee flavored noodles but i won't mind when it does happen.

:-D

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:40 am

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
Heiwashin wrote:
Usacomp2k3 wrote:

:-D

https://soranews24.com/2015/07/02/beat- ... dle-sauce/
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:58 am

Speaking of odd flavor combinations: https://www.amazon.com/Kasugai-Peanut-Y ... B0002PCFSS

Roasted peanuts with a crunchy salty-sweet coating and a hint of squid. Picked some up the other day at a Japanese grocery.

I first tried these many years ago on a whim just because the labeling on the package was so amusing -- the product used to be called "Peanut Squid And You". They've since dropped "Squid" from the product name (though there's still a picture of one).

Don't knock it until you've tried it, they are actually quite good. (Though in hindsight, I suppose having a handful of them for breakfast this morning was a slightly odd choice.)

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:54 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
I don't get all the eulogies for a robot. We barely remember actual human beings when they die.

https://www.theonion.com/spacecraft-tra ... 1832602862

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:13 pm

just brew it! wrote:
derFunkenstein wrote:
I don't get all the eulogies for a robot. We barely remember actual human beings when they die.
https://www.theonion.com/spacecraft-travel-from-all-over-galaxy-to-honor-end-of-1832602862

Is that you V'Ger?? Haven't seen you since college days but man, you're looking great!!
Humans sleep soundly in their beds because rough cats stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

The Egg
Gold subscriber
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:21 pm

Whenever you blow your nose in the shower, somehow it always ends up traveling up over the shower curtain and sticking to the mirror behind you, or hanging from the ceiling 3 rooms over. Is the snot teleporting? Traveling through a wormhole? I’m not sure, but scientists need to be studying this.

derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:19 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
derFunkenstein wrote:
https://www.theonion.com/spacecraft-travel-from-all-over-galaxy-to-honor-end-of-1832602862

Is that you V'Ger?? Haven't seen you since college days but man, you're looking great!!

That movie plodded along slow as **** but the payoff that an earth probe had become self aware was worth it.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:23 am

You know you're in the South when there's an airport announcement for a prayer service. Above the BBQ restaurant.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:37 am

Captain Ned wrote:
You know you're in the South when there's an airport announcement for a prayer service. Above the BBQ restaurant.

That's very south. I've been to a lot of Southern airports and never heard that before. I hope you took them up on the BBQ.

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:15 am

Charlotte, NC. Waiting for flight to Orlando.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:14 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
Charlotte, NC. Waiting for flight to Orlando.

I was going to say Charleston, but still pretty close!

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:51 pm

Welcome to town.

Redocbew
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:13 pm

Dutch oven! +10 bread mastery

Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:14 am

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
Welcome to town.

Here for a conference. Tonight's dins was a corporate event at Epcot. Since we were all on buses we came in through the seamy backside of the Disney experience. Unlike the Magic Kingdom, where they hid all the industrial stuff under the dirt dug up to create the lagoon, Epcot's industrial area surrounds it and would never normally be seen. It's a field of double-wides, garages, and scrap yards where the old things go to die, and it's anything but pretty.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:11 am

For sure. We saw some of Epcot’s guts it in the various backstage tours we’ve done. I also worked in the theme parks for 6 years and it didn’t diminish the allure at all to me. If anything it makes me appreciate it more when done better and just shake my head when 5 minutes more work would hide things completely.